Texas -- a failed state

Brisketexan

16 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Have you been outside of the metro area of a big city in Texas in the last five years? 

Your taxes went down? Did your home lose value? What are you talking about?

Homestead Exemption change would be what I assume they are alluding to.

With Texas voters' approval of Proposition 4 on the Nov. 7 ballot, taxpayers' 2023 property tax bills, as outlined in Senate Bill (SB) 2, will be based on the value adjusted for: An increase in the residence homestead exemption for school districts from $40,000 to $100,000.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I have a long term commitment locally until summer of 2025. I'm going to look in earnest this fall about moving to D.C. or Minneapolis, maybe central coast California. This shit is too far and there's no signs of sanity returning to Texoma anytime soon.

Denzel Washington GIF

When I hear central California.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What tax district did you say your rapidly appreciating home with a shrinking tax bill was in?

He's not going to give any more info on the tax bill thing.  He knows he's either full of shit, or withholding pertinent information.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

natives get good corporate jobs too -- see UT Austin grads. 

Unless they teach public education.  Then they get shit pay and have to buy their own school supplies.  But, hey, at least Abbott wants to support them, right?

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

He's not going to give any more info on the tax bill thing.  He knows he's either full of shit, or withholding pertinent information.

well at least he's not paying 60%!

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

I have a long term commitment locally until summer of 2025. I'm going to look in earnest this fall about moving to D.C. or Minneapolis, maybe central coast California. This shit is too far and there's no signs of sanity returning to Texoma anytime soon.

You gotta go with Minneapolis, when the End Times come you can slip right into Canada. Unless the End Times includes a Canadian Invasion. But either the Canadians will be polite, or they'll slaughter their prisoners like they did in WW1. Either way, you're set. 

You could go to either of the coasts and conceivably sail away, sure, but you know those barges are gonna turn out to be Soylent Green scows.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

Central Cal coast:  the Stache retirement plan.  I assume your savings are mountainous.  Second level humble brag.  

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Homestead Exemption change would be what I assume they are alluding to.

With Texas voters' approval of Proposition 4 on the Nov. 7 ballot, taxpayers' 2023 property tax bills, as outlined in Senate Bill (SB) 2, will be based on the value adjusted for: An increase in the residence homestead exemption for school districts from $40,000 to $100,000.

I would have thought that too, but he specifically said that wasnt the case:

HS exemptions are relatively minor given the appraisal…”

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

We are literally a year away from giving Texas teachers a $500 gift card that can only be used for art supplies or a handgun.  

Because dude, handguns ARE art supplies.   There's no art greater than a blood spatter pattern.

Blessed be the firearms, for they are first among men.  First Rugerians, ch 5, verse 56.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Haha 1

Nevertheless, some residents in rural Hood County lost power. That included Hunter Sims, who lives a mile and a half from the plant and lost power for 9 hours, relying on a backup generator for his well. Sims was angered that he was without power while the mining operation continued unabated. Overall, he says his quality of life has worsened due to the facility’s noise pollution. “When I’m sitting in my living room, I can hear a loud humming,” he says. “You can’t really relax.” 

https://time.com/6590155/bitcoin-mining-noise-texas/

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Man, how the fuck are you supposed to live here when the Lt. Governor says completely off the wall shit like "Democrat deep state run by Barack Obama."

This isn't some fringe rep running in a primary in rural Texas. It's the damn Lieutenant Governor. Seriously? We're supposed to be an economic powerhouse and we're led by people talking about the Democrat deep state? Just seven years ago he would have been tar and feathered as being a batshit conspiracy theorist. Now it barely registers. 

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Man, how the fuck are you supposed to live here when the Lt. Governor says completely off the wall shit like "Democrat deep state run by Barack Obama."

starship-troopers-paul-verhoeven.gif

If Patrick is very publicly going all in on Qanon Deep State bullshit, then something has him scared and current Texas Republican talking points either aren’t working well, or even working against the Republicans.

Yeah, Bathroom Dan has always been weird, but he’s scared of something to push batshit Obama stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/10/2024 at 9:32 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Party of small govt 

"In Georgia, Lowell received Paxtons demand for her patient’s medical information the day it was due. The physician’s mail had been stopped for weeks after an arsonist set fire to QueerMed, her gender-affirming care clinic.

Her lawyers had to negotiate with Paxton’s office to get a one-week extension to review the letter. Lowell ultimately declined to turn over patient information."

Surprised she even answered the droop-eyed lunatic.

41 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

"In Georgia, Lowell received Paxtons demand for her patient’s medical information the day it was due. The physician’s mail had been stopped for weeks after an arsonist set fire to QueerMed, her gender-affirming care clinic.

Her lawyers had to negotiate with Paxton’s office to get a one-week extension to review the letter. Lowell ultimately declined to turn over patient information."

Surprised she even answered the droop-eyed lunatic.

The only proper response would have been to send two brief letters, a couple of days apart.

"Fuck."

"Off."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

The only proper response would have been to send two brief letters, a couple of days apart.

"Fuck."

"Off."

She had just dealt with an arsonist. I reckon she figured that, being in Georgia, Droop-Eye would have called in a favor from Clan Sporkfoot to come rolling down from Marge's district.

But yeah, this is Aggy-er than Aggy.

On 2/9/2024 at 2:53 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

This isn't some fringe rep running in a primary in rural Texas. It's the damn Lieutenant Governor. Seriously? We're supposed to be an economic powerhouse and we're led by people talking about the Democrat deep state? Just seven years ago he would have been tar and feathered as being a batshit conspiracy theorist. Now it barely registers. 

Your governor, on multiple occasions, has tweeted links the stories from the Gateway fucking Pundit. Not that you need me to tell you, but it's over. 

Dan probably thinks that he should get credit for claiming the batshit thought as his own, rather than just lazily posting conspiracy links. 

Forget the ideological differences...it's astounding how truly stupid these people are.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Weird…didn’t think Abbot wanted Federal money?

Well, he’s wasted millions of our tax dollars on razor wire, bus and plane tickets for migrants.

On 3/2/2024 at 3:46 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

While Abbot and the National Guard are down on the Rio Grande ....

On 3/2/2024 at 5:42 PM, Neonmoon said:

Weird…didn’t think Abbot wanted Federal money?

It's burned well over 1MM acres and has crossed state lines. I don't think he has a choice. And of course, as with everything he does, the political optics are the driver and the optics of refusing Federal aid would be pretty bad. Of course the Panhandle would still vote for him but still.

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This sums up everything.

dcr49pmadfmc1.png?auto=webp&s=5a21ff8382

If we've decided that our "Texas spirit" is "borderline mentally retarded pathological lying racist misogynist"......yeah......count me the fuck out.

This was the "Texas spirit" I was raised with.  Amazing how we have turned it completely on its head:

Growing up in Texas, especially in small town Texas you hear and more importantly learn very early on in life that “A Man is Only as Good as His Word”.  

Truly fucking amazing that this is where we are.

On 3/4/2024 at 10:08 AM, gmr548 said:

It's burned well over 1MM acres and has crossed state lines. I don't think he has a choice. And of course, as with everything he does, the political optics are the driver and the optics of refusing Federal aid would be pretty bad. Of course the Panhandle would still vote for him but still.

I was being facetious. Abbot only accepts federal money when it helps rich people (landowners)

He has yet to accept Federal money to expand Medicaid because poor don’t donate to his campaign 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I was being facetious. Abbot only accepts federal money when it helps rich people (landowners)

He has yet to accept Federal money to expand Medicaid because poor don’t donate to his campaign 

Part of the 1M+ acres that have burned were on the Mesa Vista Ranch (Boone Pickens' old place) so he'll definitely accept federal money for that

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Think back to high school. Now think of all those dumb motherfuckers (stoners, dumb fucking jocks, dipshit bitches, etc) who struggled to make Cs and lower grades. They make up half of population. The majority of those dipshits are Republican voters. 

2016 - 2024 United States is what happens when education fails, and those stupid people spread their idiocy via social media.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Think back to high school. Now think of all those dumb motherfuckers (stoners, dumb fucking jocks, dipshit bitches, etc) who struggled to make Cs and lower grades. They make up half of population. The majority of those dipshits are Republican voters. 

2016 - 2024 United States is what happens when education fails, and those stupid people spread their idiocy via social media.

I hate to break it to you but things are not going to look any better next year even if Biden wins. The status quo is essentially the best possible outcome.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Even Fox News has to worry about what that woman was going to say next. 

I don't have an estimate but I bet a decent percent of the GOP would vote to take the right to vote from women. And other minorities as well.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1