Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

11 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Texas ball's response to the CBSsports intern who made that list. 

I can forgive the intern who may not have even be alive when Junior was playing here and probably doesn't really know Texas basketball, but several others rosters are in this thread and not a single one had him. 

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

What's with the no love for Johnny Moore in any of those lineups. He might be the best pg at Texas, but even if you don't think he is, you cannot leave him out of the top 5

He is on my list but in fairness, I probably knew him better than anyone on this board. Most posters are younger guys with some exceptions who think that the bball program started the year Penders came to UT. That's not being rude to anyone but rather just the way it is here.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Derka is going to be pissed that Beard likes catchphrases.

i don't hate catchphrases, i hate meaningless platitudes, or more specifically, meaningless platitudes used in place of actual coaching and teaching. the value in "capable vs willing" is inherent and obvious. the value in "have more better tomorrows" is nonexistent and infuriating given the context of Shaka's complete lack of substance.

He is on my list but in fairness, I probably knew him better than anyone on this board. Most posters are younger guys with some exceptions who think that the bball program started the year Penders came to UT. That's not being rude to anyone but rather just the way it is here.

Add Larry Robinson to the big man list. And possibly LaSalle Thompson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My lineup is:

PG: TJ

SG: Royal Ivey

SF/PF:  PJ Tucker

SF/PF: Durant

PF/C: Aldridge

I did not see the pre-Penders guys play so it is difficult to include them.  I’ll take Ivey over any of Tom’s shooters because you need to play some defense from time to time.  Bravo Rick Barnes, you did a fine job for a while there.  It’s a shame you burned out.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 11:58 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

What exactly was "god given" about J'Covan Brown's talent? Especially compared to Isaiah Taylor? Brown was slow and unathletic yet consistently got to the basket with guile, change of pace, and intellect. His game is the epitome of the type of game that is the fruit of hard work and countless hours spent playing. Taylor is among the fastest and most explosive PGs we've had over the past 20+ years.  Just because Taylor was lowly ranked relative to Brown doesn't make him a "try hard" who overcame athletic deficiencies.  Taylor's poor ranking was a product of playing for inferior, low profile AAU squads. As well as a result of moving from California to Texas late in his high school career.  However he had plenty of athleticism. He was similar to Ja Morant in that once people saw him, his talent was readily apparent but it was too late in the recruiting process for a lot of schools.  I forget whether it was Bob Knight or Larry Brown who alerted Barnes to Taylor late in the recruiting cycle since we had an extra scholarship, but I can't thank either one of them enough. Brown may have been a knucklehead at times but he isn't exactly a guy I'd describe as "blessed with God- given talent". 

Exactly. Derka never really took the time to understand what Brown dealt with or where he’s come from in his life. That’s not to say he’s innocent by any stretch, he made a lot of poor choices. It’s amazing he made it to Texas considering some of those poor choices and the folks around him that did not have his best interests in mind. 

Brown’s knowledge of the game was without a doubt earned through hard work and paying attention. He understood spacing, passing angles, how to move without the ball. 

3 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Exactly. Derka never really took the time to understand what Brown dealt with or where he’s come from in his life. That’s not to say he’s innocent by any stretch, he made a lot of poor choices. It’s amazing he made it to Texas considering some of those poor choices and the folks around him that did not have his best interests in mind. 

Brown’s knowledge of the game was without a doubt earned through hard work and paying attention. He understood spacing, passing angles, how to move without the ball. 

100% correct. Every young man has a different path to get to Texas and not all of them come from Westlake with 2 parents, their own car  and lots of other benefits. Great post.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

trust me, i know all about JB, a helluva lot more than either of you two do, and that dude's work ethic was nonexistent until his final offseason at Texas, when he finally started to take himself seriously and work hard, and it showed with the change in his physical body. not that anyone should need the connections i have to even know that- it's common knowledge. be serious with yourself- what kind of basketball player- a guard no less- not Dexter Pittman or Cam Ridley, but a guard, spends three years under Todd Wright without his physical body improving? only J'Covan Brown. only him. the single most lazy and entitled player in program history, who never would have played a single minute at Texas without Rick Barnes moving heaven and earth to make it happen. his cult-like following blows my mind to this day. 

4 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Exactly. Derka never really took the time to understand what Brown dealt with or where he’s come from in his life.

i take special exception this assertion, for reasons that should be blindingly obvious.

edit, so i don't have to make a new post: this is one of the dumbest arguments i've ever taken part in, and that's saying a lot. i'm not going to entertain this idiocy anymore. the idea that J'Covan Brown was a hard worker is so laughably stupid and irrevocably untrue that even i don't need to waste my breath arguing with anyone clueless enough to say otherwise. what's next, you guys gonna argue that Gabe Muoneke was one of the calmest, most level headed players ever? that Doj Balbay was a great shooter? foh. fanboys gonna fanboy. 

Edited by shadow_operative

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

trust me, i know all about JB, a helluva lot more than either of you two do, and that dude's work ethic was nonexistent until his final offseason at Texas, when he finally started to take himself seriously and work hard, and it showed with the change in his physical body. not that anyone should need the connections i have to even know that- it's common knowledge. be serious with yourself- what kind of basketball player- a guard no less- not Dexter Pittman or Cam Ridley, but a guard, spends three years under Todd Wright without his physical body improving? only J'Covan Brown. only him. the single most lazy and entitled player in program history, who never would have played a single minute at Texas without Rick Barnes moving heaven and earth to make it happen. his cult-like following blows my mind to this day. 

Clearly, you know him. Yep, nailed it. Another great post, keep it up little buddy!

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i take special exception this assertion, for reasons that should be blindingly obvious.

edit, so i don't have to make a new post: this is one of the dumbest arguments i've ever taken part in, and that's saying a lot. i'm not going to entertain this idiocy anymore. the idea that J'Covan Brown was a hard worker is so laughably stupid and irrevocably untrue that even i don't need to waste my breath arguing with anyone clueless enough to say otherwise. what's next, you guys gonna argue that Gabe Muoneke was one of the calmest, most level headed players ever? that Doj Balbay was a great shooter? foh. fanboys gonna fanboy. 

In detail, explain his recruitment. Who tried influencing him? Who tried to sabotage his career? Let’s just start there to see what you “know”

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NorthLoop said:

Not to go full "We landed on the moon!" but I just now noticed the Student only game at Gregory on the schedule. That's fucking badass. I know a lot of folks around here have been suggesting that for a long time. 

It should be really cool.  I will be attempting to sneak in by wearing a wig to hide my grey hair.  And perhaps some complicated shoes.  

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What’s the speculation on starters and the rotation? 

Dylan Disu's recovery will probably prevent him from beginning the season as a starter, but from what I'm hearing he's the main guy with 1st round NBA potential. And his slow recovery will probably be the reason we start the season with a 3 guard lineup rather than 3 bigs. 

F Mitchell

F Allen 

G Jones

G Ramey

G Carr

When Disu is full go he's replacing either Allen or Jones in the lineup from what I hear.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I think there will be 5 starters and the others will rotate in. But don't hold me to that.

Ultimate Coach Beard mindfuck:

Ref, "Coach, you've only got four guys on the court."

Beard, "My team is out there."  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Ultimate Coach Beard mindfuck:

Ref, "Coach, you've only got four guys on the court."

Beard, "My team is out there."  

Beard only needs 4 to take the court bc he’ll convince someone on the other team to transfer before the game starts. 

• Haha 8

11 hours ago, redswingline said:

Who was mind behind the defense on the 2018 TTU team? Was it Beard? Or was it one of his assistants that was the architect?

I hope it was Beard!

He’s everything we are these last two years defensively,” Texas Tech center Norense Odiase said of Adams two years ago. “Every scheme we have is from him. It’s all him. It’s his mindset, it’s his genius, it’s his emphasis and imprint on our program.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/4/6/22369585/chris-beard-mark-adams-no-middle-defense-texas-longhorns-texas-tech-red-raiders

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

He’s everything we are these last two years defensively,” Texas Tech center Norense Odiase said of Adams two years ago. “Every scheme we have is from him. It’s all him. It’s his mindset, it’s his genius, it’s his emphasis and imprint on our program.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/4/6/22369585/chris-beard-mark-adams-no-middle-defense-texas-longhorns-texas-tech-red-raiders

great to hear!

8 hours ago, Luv2win said:

Poor man's answer for streaming service....Vidgo.....subscription for $55/mo....offer LHN.  No sure bout bootleg streams....

Vidgo is fucking gaaaaaaarbage, I subbed to them earlier this year for LHN. Their native streaming application never fucking worked. The only reason my sub was worth a damn is because I could go to watch ESPN and list them as my provider to unlock streams through ESPN directly, otherwise it would have been a completely wasted subscription.

On 10/31/2021 at 12:05 PM, shadow_operative said:

Is there any other type of body? @shadow_operative