2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

The Braves tried their best to give us a 2-2 series by starting that spare and following him with another greenhorn.  Wouldn't have taken much for us to be up 4 or 5 runs early. Still, we managed to do just little enough to lose.

Maybe our vets are just maintaining their cool composure in the face of adversity. But I'm ready for someone to destroy a few water coolers in the dugout after making a feeble out. From the outside looking in, right now we seem to be the team that's just glad to be there. It's almost as if they think Boston was the real World Series and this is some off-season goodwill exhibition. 

7 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Look…I wana be positive. But we only managed 2 runs in 2 close games with really good Stros pitching in both.  Both runs by Altuve.  And 1 RBI by him.  

ANDDD It’s pretty pathetic that we only managed 2 runs vs Atlanta’s shitty staff these past 2 games. Trash pitchers today and we choked it.  

i’m tired of going into every inning thinking “ok this is definitely the inning the bats go off!”

We've had game long stretches like this all season.

It finally showed up in the post-season. If it had happened sooner, we wouldn't have won the pennant.

Yea this doesn't feel like a 3-1 heroic comeback but usually when teams get down 3-1 they look like shit doing it so io guess there is always some hope. Just win tonight and worry about the next one in two days. The braves just blew a 3-1 lead last season so if we win tonight they could tense up quickly and this is a team that could do it we just haven't seen it this series unfortunately. I'm like 90% positive we lose tonight though, just isn't our year all across the board.

• Like 1

Sure wish we had Bregman's 100 million to give to Correa at this point.  Dude needs to go to a sports psychologist.  I don't know how you go from being a really good hitter who is cocky as fuck to the timid fellow he has become.  Goddamn succubus. 

Edited by kevwun

It’s the reason why the Astros don’t give long term contracts I’m sure. Not everyone is going to be a long term great player and I’d say most have just a few years of success and the rest is them struggling to find a solution to get better. We have been extremely lucky to have had 5 straight years of a legit shot at winning the WS and it looks like we will come away with just 1. I’m in the minority but windows like this are rarely open for this long which is why I believe you go all in every deadline and are aggressive and you don’t sit on prospects worrying about the 2027 Astros. 

9 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Atlanta does not have a shitty pitching staff, they have one of the ten best staffs in MLB. Regardless, the Astros hitters should be able to score 5+ runs against them and they scored two runs in 18 innings. The bats are definitely out of sync.

You are wildly accurate.

I know I (us,we) have been shitting on Bregman and rightfully so because he has contributed absolutely zero but I think there has to be something physically wrong with him. This is a guy who missed a large portion of the season with injuries. His swing is just fucked. His stance is fucked. His attitude is fucked. He just looks nothing like the same guy at the plate. He’s up there watching strikes praying for a walk because he doesn’t want to swing. I think if it were in season he’d be on DL for some reason. Maybe he’s just trying to gut it out because there really is no alternative. Idk. Pray he’s hurt because if he ain’t, the Astros have sunk a bunch of money into a black hole. 

I know I (us,we) have been shitting on Bregman and rightfully so because he has contributed absolutely zero but I think there has to be something physically wrong with him. This is a guy who missed a large portion of the season with injuries. His swing is just fucked. His stance is fucked. His attitude is fucked. He just looks nothing like the same guy at the plate. He’s up there watching strikes praying for a walk because he doesn’t want to swing. I think if it were in season he’d be on DL for some reason. Maybe he’s just trying to gut it out because there really is no alternative. Idk. Pray he’s hurt because if he ain’t, the Astros have sunk a bunch of money into a black hole. 

Also his salsa sucks.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Got to move him out of the 3 hole. 

This is my issue. 

Also he and Correa are pretty cocky shit talkers for how bad they’ve been. Never feels like they can back it up on the biggest stage after 2017.  If you’re gonna talk, you better hit 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is my issue. 

Also he and Correa are pretty cocky shit talkers for how bad they’ve been. Never feels like they can back it up on the biggest stage after 2017.  If you’re gonna talk, you better hit 

I don't think either one have been cocky shit talkers this post-season, or at least not since Ryan Tepera mouthed off like an idiot.

Just now, Gourmand said:

I don't think either one have been cocky shit talkers this post-season, or at least not since Ryan Tepera mouthed off like an idiot.

It’s clear we need opposing pitchers to motivate us. Bc we haven’t looked that engaged in the series since ATL hasn’t run their mouths. 

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Sure wish we had Bregman's 100 million to give to Correa at this point.  Dude needs to go to a sports psychologist.  I don't know how you go from being a really good hitter who is cocky as fuck to the timid fellow he has become.  Goddamn succubus. 

He should ask Morgan Ensberg.

Wild to read all the commentary online about Dusty Baker pulling Greinke after 58 pitches when Greinke himself said he was near his limit and tiring. It's easy to fault Javier, especially for the 0-2 meatball location on that Swanson home run, but the Astros pitching has been exceptional for the most part and all we could have asked for. This one is all on the big boppers not bopping.

• Hook 'Em 2

Asking pitchers to be perfect at any time is folly. In the WS, it's madness. Javier could have thrown 5 meatballs and it wouldn't have mattered if Bregman and Correa had their heads unwedged. We'd still have won. And that's without improvement from Yuri or Yordan, both of whom have suddenly shriveled. 

Bregman's whiff in the first inning was especially annoying. Way to flail helplessly against a guy who couldn't have retired a random Surly poster last night. Yes, many other guys also have been laying eggs, but that missed chance was nauseating. 

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

losing is a disease...

losing.jpg?w=640

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

Bregs just needs to get back on the juice again

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Wild to read all the commentary online about Dusty Baker pulling Greinke after 58 pitches when Greinke himself said he was near his limit and tiring. It's easy to fault Javier, especially for the 0-2 meatball location on that Swanson home run, but the Astros pitching has been exceptional for the most part and all we could have asked for. This one is all on the big boppers not bopping.

Anybody blaming the pitching after they allowed 5 runs over 2 games on the road and we lost them both is stupid and a moron.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Bitch and complain all you want but come game time, we’re all 200% behind this team. Framber is going to come out pissed off tonight.

See y’all Tuesday night in Houston 

Damn right.  I ain't giving up on shit.  We won three in a row in a World Series a couple of years ago and we won three in a row in the ALCS a couple of weeks ago.

Pound that bullpen tonight and get our bats right, then let them come to Houston and try to clinch with a starter we've already pounded in this series.