2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s not just that- he’s also your best PH against right handers and you’d think we get a righty somewhere down the line here. But that’s why you roster 3 catchers for this very reason. 

Someone should tell Atlanta they need to add a 3rd catcher.  Neither the Rays nor Dodgers carried three catchers last year.   Neither the Astros nor Nationals carried three catchers in 2019.  Red Sox carried three in 2018 while the Dodgers went with two.  So in the last five years two out of ten rosters have had three catchers.

You don't need three catchers.

47 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Someone should tell Atlanta they need to add a 3rd catcher.  Neither the Rays nor Dodgers carried three catchers last year.   Neither the Astros nor Nationals carried three catchers in 2019.  Red Sox carried three in 2018 while the Dodgers went with two.  So in the last five years two out of ten rosters have had three catchers.

You don't need three catchers.

You don’t need 13 pitchers either 

the Astros had 3 catchers when they won the World Series and if they didn’t we wouldn’t have been able to pinch run Fisher and might still be playing game 5

Those other teams also don’t have a starting catcher that hits so poorly he’s the 2nd worst hitter in the major leagues. 
we had one real chance to get back in that game after it became 5-0. We had a shot and we did t take it. 
it was strategically stupid. The plan should have always been to pinch hit for Maldonado any time you are down significantly in the middle of the game. They could have. They didn’t. It sucked. Should have gone with Diaz or Marwin against the lefty down 4 with runners on the corners and 1 out. Maldonado got the. It’s important bat of the game (slightly more important than Altuve bc we could have scored a run without a hit so it was more meaningful) and that’s just terrible strategy. 
he literally needs to be treated like a pitcher when those decisions are made bc his bat is basically that bad. 

I am typically not one for jumping ship on someone....like I never wanted Springer to move out of the leadoff spot when he was struggling, but I think Bregman is on another level of suck this year.  I don't think he is going to snap out of it.  At least we knew when Springer got hot he could do it for a stretch.   Sure Bregs may hit one more homer this world series, but I think I would have to drop him to the 7 spot at this point and move Tucker to the 3 hole.  Bregman isn't scaring anyone right now.  

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I am typically not one for jumping ship on someone....like I never wanted Springer to move out of the leadoff spot when he was struggling, but I think Bregman is on another level of suck this year.  I don't think he is going to snap out of it.  At least we knew when Springer got hot he could do it for a stretch.   Sure Bregs may hit one more homer this world series, but I think I would have to drop him to the 7 spot at this point and move Tucker to the 3 hole.  Bregman isn't scaring anyone right now.  

Yep. Except you probably don’t want to do 3 lefties in a row. Against a lefty starter. 7th is good but I’d move Carlos 3 and Yuli to 5. Swap Tucker and Brantley against the lefty. Order just isn’t as important as we make it out to be though. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Bregman is going to have to rethink his approach at the plate.  You can't insist on only trying to hit pitches that are in your sweet spot.  He needs to work on going the other way on stuff on the outer half of the plate or something.  He's been a shell of his self since 2019 and his power has evaporated.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Bregman is going to have to rethink his approach at the plate.  You can't insist on only trying to hit pitches that are in your sweet spot.  He needs to work on going the other way on stuff on the outer half of the plate or something.  He's been a shell of his self since 2019 and his power has evaporated.

His entire demeanor is different.  He hasn't been the same since he carried his bat to first in the 2019 World Series.  He went from one of the biggest personalities in the game to 2019 Kyle Tucker.  Bizarre stuff.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

His entire demeanor is different.  He hasn't been the same since he carried his bat to first in the 2019 World Series.  He went from one of the biggest personalities in the game to 2019 Kyle Tucker.  Bizarre stuff.

I was thinking since the HR derby but this works, too.

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Yeah I know. I’d say Diaz but RH Marwin against a lefty is certainly better than Maldonado. And probably better than Castro against a lefty. I’d also trust him more than SIRI I think. Rank ordered in that spot I’d go:

Diaz

Marwin

Siri

Castro

Greinke

Maldonado. 

the Greinke over Maldonado is a joke but just barely. 

I have said this 100 times. Someone should compare pre-bat carry Bregman with post bat carry bregman