Kim Mulkey to LSU

BurntOrange&White

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It took me a while to warm up to Dawn.  She's probably one of my favorite coaches in the game besides Vic (and Collen at Baylor - sue me, she's very much the anti-Kim) 

Yeah, Staley is just a hard-nosed coach. Nothing about her screams bitch or cunt. 

Staley is very respectful to other teams/players in press conferences. 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Same here until I saw the story on her keeping the trend that Carolyn Peck started by sending parts of a championship net to fellow coaches with a motivating message that it can happen for them.  She seems deeply rooted to where she’s from with the Philly gear she sports from time to time on the bench. 

The championship that Gail Goestenkors built! 

14 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Mulkey is just the women's version of Bobby Knight.  lot of people hated Knight and Knight acted like an asshole a lot, but he could coach.

Thinking the same. He was a major asshole but he was a great coach.  

It's very entertaining to watch asshole coaches get angrier and angrier as the game goes on. It was fun watching Kim make all these faces as things turned bad against Iowa. It was one of the highlights of the game. Plus, Greta Van Fleet (or whatever her name is) isn't bad to look at.   

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

It was fun watching Kim make all these faces as things turned bad against Iowa. It was one of the highlights of the game

Totally agree

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952vskdwo8osx6t3gl40an

baylor-mad.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Comparing her to other tough female coaches like Staley and Summit does not address the claim of Mrs. [mention=2700]TreatyOak[/mention] which is:

If Mulkey does the exact same thing as a male coach, it is perceived differently (and reflects more negatively) than if a male coach does it. She is violating cultural norms backed by empirical research.

There’s actually much more of a disparity at lower levels and it’s actually one of the reasons why I stopped coaching my kids’ sports teams. Moms just cannot get away with what dads can. I don’t even think it’s a bad thing, necessarily. But it’s a fact.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

If Mulkey does the exact same thing as a male coach, it is perceived differently (and reflects more negatively) than if a male coach does it.

examples? i can’t think of a male asshole coach who isn’t seen as an asshole when he constantly behaves like one. in fact there are plenty of great coaches out there who people call scumbags and assholes when they aren’t nearly as bad as kim mulkey. coach cal, bill self, rick pitino, bruce pearl, jim boeheim, john chaney, bob knight, and on and on and on. people keep repeating what you’re saying as if it’s a fact, but i’ve been following this sport my entire life and i just don’t see it. an asshole is an asshole, male or female. 

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

examples? i can’t think of a male asshole coach who isn’t seen as an asshole when he constantly behaves like one. in fact there are plenty of great coaches out there who people call scumbags and assholes when they aren’t nearly as bad as kim mulkey. coach cal, bill self, rick pitino, bruce pearl, jim boeheim, john chaney, bob knight, and on and on and on. people keep repeating what you’re saying as if it’s a fact, but i’ve been following this sport my entire life and i just don’t see it. an asshole is an asshole, male or female. 

My wife, who knows nothing about college coaches (but a ton about HS coaches as she works with them every day) made the the point that women have a much shorter leash in all aspects of our society.

As someone who worked in corporate America for my career, I have to agree with her. Women who made it to the top were seen as a "bad mom", "greedy," "short-fused," "bitchy," etc, while men were more perceived as "driven," "committed," "hard-working", "tough," etc. Bobby Knight was and is still mostly regarded in a very positive light precisely for possessing those characteristics. I'm not defending Kim Mulkey and I don't know her story, but I do enjoy all the barbs people throw at her. It was more a general observation about human nature and our society.  

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

My wife says there are two sets of standards for men and women coaches. She says when a man is a hard-nosed, mean SOB, people praise him for how tough he is and how he makes his players better with tough love, blah, blah, blah. She says when a woman coach acts exactly the same, people call her a nasty bitch who's angry and a monster. I think she's right.  

Is there another woman coach this applies to besides Mulkey? Who are the other monsters?

And tons of men coaches are despised as angry monsters.

9 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Bobby Knight was and is still mostly regarded in a very positive light precisely for possessing those characteristics. 

By who? Indiana cultists maybe. He mellowed in his old age but he was an entitled POS back in the day.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

By who? Indiana cultists maybe. He mellowed in his old age but he was an entitled POS back in the day.

He may have been, but he's perceived very positively by a lot of people today: 

https://apnews.com/article/bob-knight-death-reaction-e547acda816aed5a5e04371febf59bb9

This reporter even said Bobby Knight was mean to him but it made him a better person, lol. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2023/11/02/bob-knight-texas-tech-reporter-memories/71418468007/

LA Times: "Loved and loathed'

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2023-11-01/bobby-knight-dead

Lot more articles about his positive legacy here: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=bobby+kbight+loved+today&oq=bobby+kbight+loved+today+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIKCAEQABiABBiiBDIKCAIQABiABBiiBDIKCAMQABiiBBiJBTIKCAQQABiABBiiBNIBCTExNzE0ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

Edited by TreatyOak

27 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

My wife, who knows nothing about college coaches (but a ton about HS coaches as she works with them every day) made the the point that women have a much shorter leash in all aspects of our society.

As someone who worked in corporate America for my career, I have to agree with her. Women who made it to the top were seen as a "bad mom", "greedy," "short-fused," "bitchy," etc, while men were more perceived as "driven," "committed," "hard-working", "tough," etc. Bobby Knight was and is still mostly regarded in a very positive light precisely for possessing those characteristics. I'm not defending Kim Mulkey and I don't know her story, but I do enjoy all the barbs people throw at her. It was more a general observation about human nature and our society.  

Yep. Spot on

So many of the terrible takes on the women’s game/tournament are rooted in sexism and racism. It’s amazing to watch grown adults show their whole ass with these takes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

can’t really prove a negative, because there’s no consensus on which coaches are jerks. Name a male coach you think is a good guy.

And how much women’s basketball are you actually watching to say that these guys “aren’t nearly as bad as Mulkey?”

i keep hearing the accusation that male coaches who behave like kim mulkey are praised for it, but i’ve yet to see any examples of it. asshole male coaches are also called out for being assholes. always have been. i’m sure it’s different in the corporate world, but that’s not what we’re talking about here. the two male coaches who most remind me of mullkey are bob knight and gregg marshall everyone thinks those guys are giant assholes.

Just now, shadow_operative said:

i keep hearing the accusation that male coaches who behave like kim mulkey are praised for it, but i’ve yet to see any examples of it. 

You ever heard of a guy named Chris Beard?

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

And how much women’s basketball are you actually watching to say that these guys “aren’t nearly as bad as Mulkey?”

kim mulkey has been such a giant, gaping asshole for so long that you don’t have to ardently follow women’s hoops to have been made aware of her behavior for decades now. you’re only helping me make my point. name any male coach who you see as kim mulkey's equal behavior-wise who isn’t seen as an asshole. i can’t name one. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

i keep hearing the accusation that male coaches who behave like kim mulkey are praised for it, but i’ve yet to see any examples of it. asshole male coaches are also called out for being assholes. always have been. i’m sure it’s different in the corporate world, but that’s not what we’re talking about here. the two male coaches who most remind me of mullkey are bob knight and gregg marshall everyone thinks those guys are giant assholes.

I literally just shared a Google link to a long list of articles from legitimate sources about how beloved Boggy Knight is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I literally just shared a Google link to a long list of articles from legitimate sources about how beloved Boggy Knight is. 

i don’t know a single college basketball fan who doesn’t think that bob knight was a humongous piece of shit.

edited to add: the top comment on that reddit thread you linked is an IU alum who says, “You could write it off as being a product of his time, but honestly he was an asshole even by those standards.”

kim mulkey has been such a giant, gaping asshole for so long that you don’t have to ardently follow women’s hoops to have been made aware of her behavior for decades now. you’re only helping me make my point. name any male coach who you see as kim mulkey's equal behavior wise who isn’t seen as an asshole. i can’t name one. 

What on earth are you talking about?

I’m so irritated you’re putting me in the position of defending one of my least favorite coaches.

You’re equating Mulkey with bob knight who was verifiably abusive, throwing a chair on the court during a game, choking a player on video, and arrested for assaulting a peace officer and Gregg Marshall who also had multiple accusations of assault and racist verbal abuse. I have never heard anything remotely like that about Mulkey. You’re proving the point.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

What on earth are you talking about?

I’m so irritated you’re putting me in the position of defending one of my least favorite coaches.

You’re equating Mulkey with bob knight who was verifiably abusive, throwing a chair on the court during a game, choking a player on video, and arrested for assaulting a peace officer and Gregg Marshall who also had multiple accusations of assault and racist verbal abuse. I have never heard anything remotely like that about Mulkey. You’re proving the point.

ok, so then do what i said in the post you just quoted: 

2 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

name any male coach who you see as kim mulkey's equal behavior-wise who isn’t seen as an asshole.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

Gregg Popovich, Kelvin Sampson, Tom Izzo—all act like jerks but it’s perceived as a benefit to their teams (and themselves by extension).

you think these guys are on the same level as mulkey? how? oh and by the way, lots and lots of people call those guys assholes! 

listen, you guys are the ones who have made the sexism claim, and it is on you to back it up with something substantive. kim mulkey is not being treated any differently than a man, she’s being treated like she’s an asshole because she’s an asshole.

20 hours ago, Royal Horn said:

Used to see Mulkey in a Waco area bar when I was coaching in Waco area...talked to her a couple of times...She is a piece of work...She is ranker than catshit under the bed...cusses like a sailor...total wild woman ! Was fairly attractive back in the day

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

you think these guys are on the same level as mulkey? how? oh and by the way, lots and lots of people call those guys assholes! 
listen, you guys are the ones who have made the sexism claim, and it is on you to back it up with something substantive. kim mulkey is not being treated any differently than a man, she’s being treated like she’s an asshole because she’s an asshole.

Then explain how you equate her behavior with that of Marshall and Knight.

Wow it’s almost like I predicted there would not be a consensus about another male coach in her category.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

Gregg Popovich, Kelvin Sampson, Tom Izzo—all act like jerks but it’s perceived as a benefit to their teams (and themselves by extension).

Wait, what?  Those 3 are NOTHING like Knight or Mulkey.  At least be honest.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, harpercollins said:

All of those coaches scream obscenities in their players' faces and are surly with the media. That Pop is beloved is my exact point.  

Every coach does that. 

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

kim mulkey gets called an asshole because she’s an asshole. it has nothing to do with her being a woman. that is the beginning and end of this conversation.

wow. case closed. a master of rhetoric.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I think there are two distinct and separate arguments being merged together here. 

1. Women definitely get inappropriately classified when doing the many of the exact same things men get a pass for doing. 

2. Kim Mulkey is a POS person.

I’m sure she has fallen victim to some of 1 in her life, but that’s not the reason she is/is viewed as 2.

Also, as far as Bobby Knight. The dude died and he was a legend of a coach. Legends are often treated much more kindly when they die. He didn’t have the same “fond” reputation or sentiment when he was alive - unless you were one of his. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Yeah, using a eulogy to characterize an individual is foolish. Read the obits in the paper. Every one of those dead motherfuckers “lit up the room when they walked in” and “was loved by everyone they met”.

Bullfuckingshit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Pop is beloved in part because he's a very smart man with a big heart.  He may not suffer fools, most guys with his intellect don't.

Kim Mulkey most certainly does not have a big heart.

Disagree. He is an arrogant and self righteous prick that used to show respect to the media and now treats them like dogshit for just doing their jobs. He thinks his pompous old man act is cute and it's not. And btw, I am a die hard Spurs fan and I actually think Pop is a good dude but his schtick is beyond tired and worn for 90% of people. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, harpercollins said:

All of those coaches scream obscenities in their players' faces and are surly with the media. That Pop is beloved is my exact point.  

The second that you compared Kim Mulkey to Gregg Popovich is when you signaled to the rest of us that you aren't to be taken seriously.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've never understood why our society has so much god damn trouble with "both things can be true" but it seems to be getting worse by the day.

Because our society as a whole is dumb as fuck.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I’m just restating something that has been said many times on this thread:

1. Women experience a double standard in many, many things, including how aggressive and demanding they can be in order to achieve professional success and the way society interprets that behavior. 

2. Kim Mulkey is a successful coach but awful  person.

Both of those things can be true.  This isn’t programming, it doesn’t have to be I/O.

100% agree with you so long as we include the one word I added to your post.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Kim Mulkey is a POS who went full apologetics for Baylor and Briles. Do not let the culture wars Jedi mind trick you into carrying her waters Mulkey is a POS and anyone save Baylor and LSU fans need to be haters. 

I can't say I follow her all that closely, but I got the sense that the hatred for her wasn't about being crazy on the court, but off court stuff, including defending Briles et al. and more recently going full cloak room on her best player of all time, including offering basically a "good for her" comment when her jersey was retired in Waco and not much more. There's also the reports that she encouraged Griner and others to not be so open about being gay. That's my perception of her at least and why I think she's quite cunty. I don't really care all that much if she yells and throws tantrums from the sidelines like Sampson et al. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah; Indont get the double standard white knighting for Mulkey in this thread.  She’s done two unequivocally unredeemable things that transcend the sexism double standard (which I agree with by the way).  

1. Apologizing and being annoyed by the plight of female students at Baylor during the Briles era, and 

2.  Shaming and potentially facilitating the public outing of gay players on her team.  

So yeah, all of those negative adjectives about hard nosed women in coaching and the workplace get flipped to positive adjectives for men all of the time.  And perhaps it applies to Mulkey some.  But those two things above are beyond the pale and are irrelevant to the sexism argument.  Fuck her. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Why white knight for this rancid cunt?

“If somebody around you and they ever say, ‘I will never send my daughter to Baylor,’ you knock them right in the face,” Mulkey told fans to applause and cheers. “Because these kids are on this campus. I work here. My daughter went to school here, and it’s the damn best school in America.”