Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

52 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Shouldn't they be taking a TE this cycle, or really every cycle? It seems like Sark wants to run a bunch of 2 TE sets and Brewer is gone after this year. That leaves Wiley (senior next year), Liebrock (who can't stay healthy and probably shouldn't be counted on) and the three current freshmen who will be sophomores: Helm, Davis, and Sanders. Am I missing someone? You would be looking at only three scholarship guys in 2023 plus whatever true freshmen they recruit next cycle. I suppose they are recruiting enough LB/TE body types that could move over to offense but this seems like too important of a position in this offense to take a year off.

Took 3 in last year's class. Betting they end up with someone, they are just all in on on Skinner.

have only offered 7 TEs YTD

Spoiler

lZo051Md

only two in Texas (Llewllyn and Green) - they are hunting with Skinner and someone named OScar Delp out of GA?

then offers to a dude out of WI who is committed to ISU and a guy committed to Florida

only other TE's in the Texas composite 100 is Kelsey Johnson from Red Oak (state composite #69, 3* committed to Baylor) and Miller McCrumby (state composite 89, uncommitted)

i bet they have some late targets they end up chasing depending on what happens and how they use TE's this year

///

the good news from this little dig into in state TEs is that evidently Kansas has 19 current players listed at TE's on their 247 roster lol

POxroPfz

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

Took 3 in last year's class. Betting they end up with someone, they are just all in on on Skinner.

have only offered 7 TEs YTD

Reveal hidden contents

lZo051Md

only two in Texas (Llewllyn and Green) - they are hunting with Skinner and someone named OScar Delp out of GA?

then offers to a dude out of WI who is committed to ISU and a guy committed to Florida

only other TE's in the Texas composite 100 is Kelsey Johnson from Red Oak (state composite #69, 3* committed to Baylor) and Miller McCrumby (state composite 89, uncommitted)

i bet they have some late targets they end up chasing depending on what happens and how they use TE's this year

///

the good news from this little dig into in state TEs is that evidently Kansas has 19 current players listed at TE's on their 247 roster lol

POxroPfz

Those are WRs

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

You think Arch isn't going to have this type of opportunity if he comes to Texas?  Even with our shitty internal response to NIL - the #1 recruit in the country is going to have national NIL opportunities.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You think Arch isn't going to have this type of opportunity if he comes to Texas?  Even with our shitty internal response to NIL - the #1 recruit in the country is going to have national NIL opportunities.

The problem isn't someone with a savvy group of advisors. It's the millions of other kids who think that could be them. If Arch gets here and signs a similar deal, that's great, but until he does, this is one more impediment to getting where we want to go. "We had a kid skip his senior year in high school and get $1.4 million to sit on the bench" is pretty good pitch to a teenager. We don't have anything of that magnitude to pitch at the moment. Opportunity? Sure, but this is a signed deal. It will carry weight.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

11 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

The problem isn't someone with a savvy group of advisors. It's the millions of other kids who think that could be them. If Arch gets here and signs a similar deal, that's great, but until he does, this is one more impediment to getting where we want to go. "We had a kid skip his senior year in high school and get $1.4 million to sit on the bench" is pretty good pitch to a teenager. We don't have anything of that magnitude to pitch at the moment. Opportunity? Sure, but this is a signed deal. It will carry weight.

Can you imagine a world where top high school recruits will want to play for Ohio State?!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I think he is assuming the 2 Brockermeyers transfer in after the fall.

Neither on the Bama 2-deep. Of course you don’t expect that from the 3-star, but the 5-star stud should at least be a backup (still injured??).  
I guess the moral of the story is…Fuck the non-LB Brocks. 

28 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

lol

The contract with GT Sports Marketing is for three years and is in exchange for autographs. The deal, according to a source, was negotiated by Ewers' agents at Sportstars and Rubicon, and is Ewers' third NIL deal overall.

1.4m for 3 years for autographs for a guy who hasn't played a snap?

meanwhile Texas NIL stuff is over here in the corner waiting to see what happens and we surly fucks are the leaders? come on.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Texas has royally dropped the ball on NIL.  I'm happy us fans are trying, but there is only so much we can do.  It doesn't surprise me when we're a middle of the pack program when our administration has constantly been behind the elite schools.  There is no reason Texas should not have been at the forefront of this from the start.  You want elite talent?  Then you're going to have to offer shit like this to the Bryce Youngs and Quinn Ewers.  I hate watching Bama, Clemson, tOSU set the damn standard.  Hell even Oregon is ahead of us with NIL.  Just constantly disappointment.  This program has always been reactionary and it is only when they get intense pressure from the alumni based on threats of pulling their donations.  I'm glad we're giving a few TEs some lunch money on a monthly basis.  I fully expect Arch to end up signing with a school that is going to put together a great NIL package, while we're telling our recruits to increase their social media following and to do cameos.  For once, I would like us to use the millions of dollars this university has to give us an actual competitive advantage.  Quinn should still be in high school and they lined this up for him.  What has our school done for an elite talent like Bijan?  Where are his big NIL deals?  CDC and Hartzell, get your fucking shit together.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Texas has royally dropped the ball on NIL.  I'm happy us fans are trying, but there is only so much we can do.  It doesn't surprise me when we're a middle of the pack program when our administration has constantly been behind the elite schools.  There is no reason Texas should not have been at the forefront of this from the start.  You want elite talent?  Then you're going to have to offer shit like this to the Bryce Youngs and Quinn Ewers.  I hate watching Bama, Clemson, tOSU set the damn standard.  Hell even Oregon is ahead of us with NIL.  Just constantly disappointment.  This program has always been reactionary and it is only when they get intense pressure from the alumni based on threats of pulling their donations.  I'm glad we're giving a few TEs some lunch money on a monthly basis.  I fully expect Arch to end up signing with a school that is going to put together a great NIL package, while we're telling our recruits to increase their social media following and to do cameos.  For once, I would like us to use the millions of dollars this university has to give us an actual competitive advantage.  Quinn should still be in high school and they lined this up for him.  What has our school done for an elite talent like Bijan?  Where are his big NIL deals?  CDC and Hartzell, get your fucking shit together.

Quinn moved to Ohio because Texas is one of the 3 states that doesn't allow NIL for high school athletes 

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

lol

1.4m for 3 years for autographs for a guy who hasn't played a snap?

meanwhile Texas NIL stuff is over here in the corner waiting to see what happens and we surly fucks are the leaders? come on.

Do you people still think that NIL is anything other than paying players to play football at your school? Has 0 to do with production or marketability.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Quinn moved to Ohio because Texas is one of the 3 states that doesn't allow NIL for high school athletes 

Is he not enrolled and in college?  I thought he had already graduated high school, reclassified for 2021 and was enrolled at tOSU.  I could be wrong though.  Not sure why our admin and coaches didn't pitch and put together something like this for him...

Do you people still think that NIL is anything other than paying players to play football at your school? Has 0 to do with production or marketability.

Our admin and fan base is completely ignorant when it comes to playing these games. They're slowly starting to realize that and I'm hopeful 2023 can look different. Surly helping with Skinner would be a big deal. 

21 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Texas has royally dropped the ball on NIL.  I'm happy us fans are trying, but there is only so much we can do. 

what is the school not doing, exactly? we can do the same shit ohio state is doing, can we not? how about trt holdings pays hudson to sign autographs at the omni downtown and gives him a check for $2MM for an afternoon of work. 

Silver lining is that this could become a distraction. Can't be good for  locker room chemistry to have your ballyhooed true freshman - who has barely even practiced with the team - ink multi-million dollar NIL deals, when the players above him on the depth chart aren't getting the same kind of attention and $$.

• Hook 'Em 1

We actually don't have a deficit at OL on the roster, so not sure where you are getting that from. They have 14 scholarship OL which is right about where you want to be. Only losing Kerstetter, Imade and Okafor after this year. So assuming they sign a 4 man class (Huston, Robertson, Campbell and hopefully a tackle), they are doing just fine from a numbers standpoint. There's very little deadweight at the position either, which is obvious because we actually have 8-9 guys who can give us quality snaps this year for the first time in a decade.

I wouldn’t call 14 an inherent disaster as long as this class gets filled out, but the tackle spot is definitely flirting with that designation, and that’s no just because of 2022. They’re going to end up counting on Hookfin to be a multi year starter when he can barely stay healthy for multiple practices.

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Silver lining is that this could become a distraction. Can't be good for  locker room chemistry to have your ballyhooed true freshman - who has barely even practiced with the team - ink multi-million dollar NIL deals, when the players above him on the depth chart aren't getting the same kind of attention and $$.

Yeah I wonder about this aspect of it. He is likely 4th on that depth chart and someone orchestrated this to get him to TOSU asap. How are the other QBs supposed to feel about that? Does GT Sports care about a return on that investment and if so will there be pressure to get him on the field for meaningful snaps. Because unless Stroud stinks up the joint Ewers likely won't play for 2 years and that isn't guaranteed. And who cares about a back up QBs autograph at that point.

can't wait for the first huge money deal to never start a game

Absolutely gonna happen. Would like to see the actual structure of these deals. Is the $1.4mm guaranteed? Contingent on starting X number of games? That's a lot of money to turn any 17-year-old loose with.

Won't make any difference in the long run, though, if guys wash out. The boosters putting up the money will just see it as the cost of doing business.

35 minutes ago, futureman said:

what is the school not doing, exactly? we can do the same shit ohio state is doing, can we not? how about trt holdings pays hudson to sign autographs at the omni downtown and gives him a check for $2MM for an afternoon of work. 

That’s the frustrating part.  Like you said, we can do all of it…. Yet we haven’t.  Our school seems to be more focused on compliance and rules when the ncaa has basically said that you can make up the damn rules and figure it out on your own. 

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Not sure why our admin and coaches didn't pitch and put together something like this for him...

Because he was already gone. The ship had sailed... and as much I tried squinting my eyes, imagining I had caught a glimpse of a glorious young mullet'd man looking back at me from the edge of the horizon, waiting to see if I might commandeer a worthy vessel and give chase to rescue him from a life of not knowing if the people around him are actually Canadian or hillbillies, it was all for naught. I am a fool, and I'll bear this shame evermore. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

54 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I wouldn’t call 14 an inherent disaster as long as this class gets filled out, but the tackle spot is definitely flirting with that designation, and that’s no just because of 2022. They’re going to end up counting on Hookfin to be a multi year starter when he can barely stay healthy for multiple practices.

Teams generally want to have 15-16 on scholarship.  OL isn't a unit that wants 4 players at every spot.

14 is neither good nor a disaster.

DB is actually in a worse position with 15 scholarships and 6 seniors.

Edited by JBJ

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

If your boosters are wrung out from paying players, who's going to bail you out when you have to fire your next disaster coaching hire?  Gotta think long game.

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I don't buy into this. Teammates aren't going to sour because another player is getting paid. Just gives them hope that they will get their own piece eventually. 

57 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Won't make any difference in the long run, though, if guys wash out. The boosters putting up the money will just see it as the cost of doing business.

Yeah, transfer market will probably be a lot more economical with less wash out risk.. just won't have everyone available, but don't necessarily need everyone either

1 minute ago, Creasy Bear said:

I don't buy into this. Teammates aren't going to sour because another player is getting paid. Just gives them hope that they will get their own piece eventually. 

lol... like in companies when you find out a co-worker on same team makes five times your salary... no biggie... mines probably coming soon 😂

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

Oh yeah. No egos involved at all. Totally chill, especially if the team has a rocky year.

But, like pro teams, good coaches should be able to work through it, it's not a death knell to team cohesion by any means.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Are people lining up for autographs of 17 year old mullets who haven’t played any games yet? 

No, but what does that have to do with 17 year old mullets who haven't played any games yet, being paid $1.4MM for autographs?

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

No, but what does that have to do with 17 year old mullets who haven't played any games yet, being paid $1.4MM for autographs?

It means Ohio state sent a message to every big time recruit out there and future #1 recruits for their class that the market for you is 1.4 million. 

Latest visitor list

Football:
RB Jamarion Miller, Legacy (Tyler, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022: On300 ranking #82
OT Kam Dewberry, Atascocita (Humble, TX) - 2022: On300 ranking #68
TE Jaden Greathouse, Westlake (Austin, TX) - 2023
EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - 2022: Texas commit: On300 ranking #193
CB Vernon Glover Jr, Dickinson (Dickinson, TX) - 2023
CB Jaden Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX) - 2024
CB Jaylon Guilbeau, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX) - 2022
S Damon Youngblood - McKinney (McKinney, TX) - 2022 (Louisiana commit)
S BJ Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX) Texas commit: On300 ranking #96

Basketball:
CG Cason Wallace, Richardson (Richardson, Texas) - 2022: On3 Top 100 ranking: No. 7 (five-star)
*Wallace will be an official visit.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Latest visitor list

Football:
RB Jamarion Miller, Legacy (Tyler, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022: On300 ranking #82
OT Kam Dewberry, Atascocita (Humble, TX) - 2022: On300 ranking #68
TE Jaden Greathouse, Westlake (Austin, TX) - 2023
EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - 2022: Texas commit: On300 ranking #193
CB Vernon Glover Jr, Dickinson (Dickinson, TX) - 2023
CB Jaden Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX) - 2024
CB Jaylon Guilbeau, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX) - 2022
S Damon Youngblood - McKinney (McKinney, TX) - 2022 (Louisiana commit)
S BJ Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX) Texas commit: On300 ranking #96

Basketball:
CG Cason Wallace, Richardson (Richardson, Texas) - 2022: On3 Top 100 ranking: No. 7 (five-star)
*Wallace will be an official visit.

If we can add Lander Barton and Damon Youngblood (who is wildly underrated), we'll have to fire up the white guy hype train. 

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It means Ohio state sent a message to every big time recruit out there and future #1 recruits for their class that the market for you is 1.4 million. 

No - not every big time recruit is going to get 1.4 million.  Do you think boosters were dropping million dollar bags.  Do you know how many McDonalds bags that would take?

The hand-wringing over this is fucking ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

No - not every big time recruit is going to get 1.4 million.  Do you think boosters were dropping million dollar bags.  Do you know how many McDonalds bags that would take?

Not that I disagree with the first statement, you’re absolutely correct.  

But I would say Ohio State rubbing their nuts all over our face and taking a potentially generational QB out of Southlake from us in an extremely public manner while getting him paid in the exact thing that we are currently sucking at warrants at least some handwringing.

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

1.4 for 3 years i'm sure with out clauses if he were to transfer

Edited by Michael Knight

4 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

Not that I disagree with the first statement, you’re absolutely correct.  

But I would say Ohio State rubbing their nuts all over our face and taking a potentially generational QB out of Southlake from us in an extremely public manner while getting him paid in the exact thing that we are currently sucking at warrants at least some handwringing.

They've been rubbing their nuts over us as they take players out of our backyard for years.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting