Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

8 hours ago, RabidM said:

Dunno... he looks stiff in his OL film highlights.  He has some decent straight line acceleration, but looks very stiff moving laterally and plays with poor pad level.  He does not look like he has good, natural bend which means it might be hard for him to play with great pad level.  He is very wide, so that compensates somewhat for non-ideal lateral movement.  Perhaps this is coaching and S&C fixable, but he looks stiff to me.  He seems like a nice kid. I just have concerns. 

If Damieon George can play at Alabama, I'm not too worried. Right now, we just need big bodies.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10284414/Damieon-George

Early visitors list for this weekend:

Texas commitments

Jamarion Miller, RB, Tyler (Texas) Legacy
On300 ranking: No. 94
#AllGasNoBrakes

Armani Winfield, WR, Lewisville (Texas)
On300 ranking: No. 256
#AllGasNoBrakes

Connor Robertson, IOL, Austin (Texas) Westlake
On300 ranking: No. 253
#AllGasNoBrakes

Cole Hutson, IOL, Frisco (Texas)
#AllGasNoBrakes

Derrick Brown, EDGE, Texarkana (Texas) Texas High
On300 ranking: No. 221
#AllGasNoBrakes

Trevell Johnson, LB, Arlington (Texas) Martin
#AllGasNoBrakes

Bryan Allen Jr., S, Aledo (Texas)
On300 ranking: No. 102
#AllGasNoBrakes

Top 2022 targets

Jacoby Mathews, S, Ponchatoula (La.)
On300 ranking: No. 42

Shazz Preston, WR, St James (La.) – maybe
On300 ranking: No. 101

Kam Dewberry, OT/IOL, Humble (Texas) Atascocita
On300 ranking: No. 121

Cam Williams, OT/IOL, Duncanville (Texas)
Oregon commit

2023 Prospects 

Johntay Cook, WR, Desoto (Texas)
Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan
Ryan Yaites, DB, Denton (Texas) Guyer

2024 Prospects

Jaden Allen, DB, Aledo (Texas)

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Anytime you have a five star prospect visit for a game two consecutive weeks, you have to believe things are going well. Well, with five star Cypress Park linebacker Harold Perkins, things are going just fine between him and the Texas Longhorns.

I caught up with Perkins last week following a blowout victory over Cypress Lakes to get the latest on his recruitment and to see where thing stood following the Texas visits.

“They played Rice,” Perkins said about why he wanted to return to Austin for a second consecutive week. “I knew Texas Tech was their conference opener and I wanted to get back and see what they were about.”

Perkins was impressed with the Texas faithful and their attendance for the Rice game.

“That game was packed for a Rice game. I got there late so I didn’t really get the full day experience and stuff like that. So I was like ‘I’m going to go back’ and I left the day before.”

Perkins said the reason for being late the previous week was a delay in his high school game that caused his schedule to back up a little bit preventing him from getting to Austin to see kickoff. Regardless, it spurred enough momentum in his mind to make the return trip back and get the full experience.

“When I went back a second time, the time was raw,” Perkins said.

As for the Texas Tech game, Perkins told me he really enjoyed his time and seeing the Texas team blowout their opponent on the field was a great sign as well. Perkins mentioned having fans at the game ask him for pictures, something that really surprised him.

“I feel like I got more than I expected,” Perkins said. “I didn’t know people knew who I was. People were asking to take pictures and I was like ‘I guess if you want to.'”

It is a full on press from the Texas staff. Led by Jeff Banks, several other Texas staffers are personally involved in this recruitment as well. Perkins mentioned Head Coach Steve Sarkisian, Director of Recruiting Brandon Harris and Senior Offensive Analyst Cordae Hankton as the most active members of the Texas staff that he hears from. Said Sark texted him prior to the kickoff of his game on Thursday night.

As for Banks, Perkins said he and the Texas special teams coach talk every other day for the most part.

“I like Banks,” Perkins said. “He is real down to earth. He’s not like a stuck up coach. I like his spirit, I feel like he has a young spirt to him.”

Perkins was in Baton Rouge this weekend to watch LSU who fell to Auburn at home. Interestingly enough, Texas A&M was anticipating an appearance from Perkins this past weekend, and the trip to LSU ruffled some feathers from the Aggie camp.

As for future visits, Perkins said he had flirted with Florida for a little but opted against making a trip out there. Oregon is getting involved and it appears that Perkins has enough interest in the nation’s No. 8 team to possibly OV out there later this season. Nothing is set in stone, but it is worth watching for the time being. Perkins mentioned Kelvin Banks and Cam Williams as Texas guys committed to Oregon that had caught his attention.

As I mentioned last week, Perkins is taking things day by day and a final school list could come at anytime. A commitment date is firm to the Under Armour All American game and I don’t see him wavering from that timeline.

I do think Texas is sitting within striking distance. A win this weekend and a rise in the rankings to following will go a long way here.

If official word comes out about Texas joining the SEC for the 2022 season, I would expect a commitment to Texas from Perkins. Until then, it is a waiting game.

Banks and Williams probably showed him their doge coins.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

If official word comes out about Texas joining the SEC for the 2022 season

Not to turn this into a realignment thread, but it seems pretty quiet on that front. IS that actually good for a '22 entry?

(yes, I try reading the realignment thread on the football board, but haven't seen anything)

• Like 1

Scoop:

RECRUITING 

Jaleel Skinner, TE, Greer (S.C.) IMG Academy
On300 ranking: No. 17
Skinner is set to announce his decision October 8. One SEC program was told late last week by a family member that Skinner is headed their way. The reason for not identifying the SEC school is because the rug has been pulled in this recruitment prior, and IT doesn't want to ruin the kids news if that is indeed where he commits. Texas’ Jeff Banks has done a very good job with Skinner’s father in this recruitment. Alabama, Florida and Texas are the most likely destination with Clemson and Miami in the mix. 

Harold Perkins, LB, Cypress (Texas) Cy Park
On300 ranking: No. 8
The five-star playmaker was in Baton Rouge for the LSU loss to Auburn over the weekend. Perkins told On3 Sunday that he also plans to be back at LSU for the Florida game October 16.That will make two unofficial visits for LSU and Texas this season. An OV to Oregon is also a possibility, but Perkins will play in the SEC. Perkins had given a silent commit to Texas A&M in June, but this recruitment could go a number of different directions. One thing is certain, Perkins plans to play in the SEC. 

Neto Umeozulu, OT/IOL, Allen (Texas)
On300 ranking: No. 61
Umeozulu made an official visit to Oklahoma September 17. That along with USC in June are the two official visits made. Texas A&M is likely to receive a visit. Alabama could. Texas is a possibility. The Longhorns staff is doing the best they can with what is a wildcard recruitment, but has ground to make up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Not to turn this into a realignment thread, but it seems pretty quiet on that front. IS that actually good for a '22 entry?

(yes, I try reading the realignment thread on the football board, but haven't seen anything)

haven't seen anything, other than I think IT saying a decision will be announced by November or something. they seem to feel good about us leaving after the 2021 season.. I hope unlike their other guesses, that this one is correct

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Scoop:

RECRUITING 

Skinner is set to announce his decision October 8. One SEC program was told late last week by a family member that Skinner is headed their way. The reason for not identifying the SEC school is because the rug has been pulled in this recruitment prior, and IT doesn't want to ruin the kids news if that is indeed where he commits. Texas’ Jeff Banks has done a very good job with Skinner’s father in this recruitment. Alabama, Florida and Texas are the most likely destination with Clemson and Miami in the mix. 

The five-star playmaker was in Baton Rouge for the LSU loss to Auburn over the weekend. Perkins told On3 Sunday that he also plans to be back at LSU for the Florida game October 16.That will make two unofficial visits for LSU and Texas this season. An OV to Oregon is also a possibility, but Perkins will play in the SEC. Perkins had given a silent commit to Texas A&M in June, but this recruitment could go a number of different directions. One thing is certain, Perkins plans to play in the SEC. 

Umeozulu made an official visit to Oklahoma September 17. That along with USC in June are the two official visits made. Texas A&M is likely to receive a visit. Alabama could. Texas is a possibility. The Longhorns staff is doing the best they can with what is a wildcard recruitment, but has ground to make up. 

Fuck, that update sucks

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

TFB saying that Perkins is ours if we are officially in the SEC next year seems like pretty big news.

Latest rumors say that 2022 might not work because of some TV contracts and 2023 will be year 1, so...

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Latest rumors say that 2022 might not work because of some TV contracts and 2023 will be year 1, so...

Obviously everything is fluid, but you have to think the SEC would have delayed their 2022 schedule if they thought Texas/OU were going to be announced as joining in 2022 anytime soon.  Or maybe it is all just cover for the fact that Texas/OU are totally staying until 2025 until the minute they announce they're leaving early.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

If official word comes out about Texas joining the SEC for the 2022 season, I would expect a commitment to Texas from Perkins. Until then, it is a waiting game.

What's that I hear from College Station?

spacer.png

They should change their mascot.

Thanks for the article on Perkins. Seems like a very well-rounded person. He'd fit in here at UT.

EDIT to add:

On which season we start the SEC: I'd prefer to start next year, but it would be nice to beat OU this weekend and next year to win the last two Big 12 titles and roll into the SEC as a play-off team.

The former is preferable, but the latter wouldn't be too bad if we could pull it off.

Edited by RomaVicta

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Scoop:

RECRUITING 

A last thing about Harold Perkins, he's very smart with his visits. The two visits to LSU are closer to home for him and he sees three potential teams to consider: LSU, Auburn, Florida. I would imagine most recruits going to A&M-Alabama this week are doing the same (duh!).

That he came to Texas twice to see Texas, Rice, and Tech indicates an undiluted interest in Texas. I think the prediction that us having an SEC schedule next year would seal the deal is justified. I wonder what influence a firm commitment to being SEC in 2023 would have. (I await the assured "Texas ain't gonna be in the Big 12 in 2023." The fact is, we don't know for sure. You're just betting on a high percentage not stating a fact.)

I'm no guru, to be sure. But these are some interesting bits of evidence. His clear intelligence also points to him being interested in a worthwhile degree. The University of Texas in the SEC is a damn good combination for such a player.

I like this guy.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3

We went from counting offensive line recruits in a class before they committed to penciling in transfers already. Eventually we actually do need to get one or two of these guys unless we have some insider info about college going to a 7v7 format. 

haven't seen anything, other than I think IT saying a decision will be announced by November or something. they seem to feel good about us leaving after the 2021 season.. I hope unlike their other guesses, that this one is correct

The tea leaves would seem to indicate more 2023 than 2022, though you’d think that’s still helpful for Perkins. If he really wants to Texas you’d think a redshirt year or one season in the Big 12 isn’t a deal breaker. Who knows though. Honestly IT reporting 2022 is the single biggest reason to believe it won’t happen.

What's that I hear from College Station?

Squealing-Pig-Masterbrand-Logo-2018.ashx?la=en&modified=20190521001727&mw=1382&hash=8DD539319A4104598258B066ECE8576F90C3C7D3

They should change their mascot.
Thanks for the article on Perkins. Seems like a very well-rounded person. He'd fit in here at UT.
EDIT to add:
On which season we start the SEC: I'd prefer to start next year, but it would be nice to beat OU this weekend and next year to win the last two Big 12 titles and roll into the SEC as a play-off team.
The former is preferable, but the latter wouldn't be too bad if we could pull it off.
Fightin Texum Grackles

Okafor medical redshirt…and surely Christian Jones will improve right?? I really don’t know what the fuck Flood is doing. He didn’t hit the portal and isn’t recruiting for shit. 
Isn't Okafor pushing 30 now? May be Tope Imade I'm thinking of

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
39 minutes ago, Cashcar said:
Okafor medical redshirt…and surely Christian Jones will improve right?? I really don’t know what the fuck Flood is doing. He didn’t hit the portal and isn’t recruiting for shit. 

I think they were both part of Jordan Shipley's class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ousux said:
53 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

The top TX player in his recruiting class was Greg Little who's already on his 2nd NFL team.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

The Stampede: Updating what's left on the board for Texas
MIKE ROACH

Spoiler

The Stampede: Updating what's left on the board for Texas
MIKE ROACH

The Longhorns are 4-1 heading into a big matchup against Oklahoma in the annual Red River Showdown. Texas is starting to roll a bit under Steve Sarkisian, as the coaching staff’s vision for what they could do on the recruiting trail with strong play on the field.

If Texas can pull off a win in Dallas this week, it will set up for a massive game at home against a tough Oklahoma State squad in front of what is developing to be a loaded group of recruits. The next couple of weeks could not only define the Texas season but also what the Texas recruiting class could be.

With that in mind, it’s time we once again refresh the board and look at where things stand with the major targets for the Longhorns.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, we discuss the latest with the remaining targets and how Texas might be able to finish the cycle.

WIDE RECEIVER
We could be somewhat close to adding another piece to the Texas wide receiver puzzle. Four-star Spearman wide receiver Brenen Thompson has been open about making a decision midseason, and Texas remains in the thick of that race. As the Longhorns battle Oklahoma State and Texas A&M for the track star, there’s still a pretty optimistic feeling in Austin. It could probably best be described as cautious optimism, but the feeling is that the Longhorns did a great job on the official visit a few weeks ago.

Nick and I have picks on Texas, and nothing has happened yet to make us change that. Thompson is set for a visit to College Station next week as the Aggies host Alabama, and the expectation is that a decision could come in the next few weeks following the trip. If Texas lands Thompson, that would give them two receivers as they chase a third.

The other top target on the board is five-star Frisco Liberty wide receiver Evan Stewart. Though Stewart recently decided to opt-out of the rest of his senior season, Texas will continue to pursue with fervor. Alabama and LSU remain as possible visit destinations for Stewart who has three official trips in hand, but Florida and Texas also sit near the top for him.

SMU commit Jordan Hudson was another possibility after scheduling an official visit to Texas for the Oklahoma State game, but the four-star Garland wide receiver informed us he will no longer be taking that trip over the weekend. SMU moved swiftly to shut the trip down and Hudson acquiesced for the moment. Perhaps something changes, but Hudson looks pretty firm at the moment.

Kevin Coleman and Shazz Preston also remain as possibilities on the board. Preston visited during the summer while Coleman is tentatively scheduled to see Austin this fall. Neither race seems to favor Texas, but we did recently hear some buzz about Preston with Texas. Horns247 will be in Louisiana this week and we are planning to see him.

Coleman has been all over the map so far, but Texas could possibly land him if they get him on campus. I’ve also been told that Notre Dame wide receiver C.J. Williams is still keeping an eye on the Horns while players like Rockwall-Heath’s Jordan Nabors are emerging as names to consider for contingencies.

TIGHT END

Texas is engaged in a high-stakes hand for the top tight end in the country. Back in the spring, nobody gave the Longhorns a shot for Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy tight end Jaleel Skinner, and nobody could believe it when we reported back in the summer that Texas was definitely in the mix for the lanky pass catcher.

As Andrew Ivins reported, Skinner’s commitment date is set for October 8, but he’s also looking to take a visit to Austin on October 16. This is a race Texas coaches have been quietly confident about as Jeff Banks works land a big fish at the position. Alabama seems to have just as much juice in the recruitment, but there’s a feeling that Texas is hanging in a much better position than anyone expected them to.

If the Longhorns can’t close Skinner, it’s possible they don’t take a tight end or make a move on California athlete Arlis Boardingham. Texas hosted Boardingham during the summer and appear to be keeping him warm at the moment while they sort things out with Skinner. Arizona State and Colorado are also after the intriguing athlete while USC just recently got into the game offering him as a defensive player.

OFFENSIVE LINE

This remains the biggest mystery and the favorite subject of every fan out there. With two commits in, Texas will continue chasing main targets.

Atascocita OL Kam Dewberry recently visited Oklahoma, and the Sooners set a high bar on the trip. Texas is setting up to get one of the last visits, and Dewberry has been watching the team closely to see how the offensive line is coming along. Dewberry has been a bit unpredictable with buzz shifting to several schools following visits. If Texas is going to win this one, they will have to take advantage of a special season to land him. Dewberry and his family are planning to be in Dallas for this weekend’s Red River Showdown.

Devon Campbell remains the top target on the board. I haven’t heard much buzz yet coming off of his trip to Alabama, but the Crimson Tide rarely fails to make an impression. Alabama should get quite a bit of post-visit buzz as they always do. Texas should get the last visit here and they’ve run out in front of this recruitment for quite a while. They will have to outlast some strong competition, but Texas has enough to finish in this recruitment.

Malik Agbo re-entered the picture after cutting Texas out of his top schools. It sounds like LSU is out of the picture and Agbo will make a trip to Austin for the Oklahoma State game to take his trip along with Earnest Greene. Arizona State and Florida will get visits in November, but Texas could get back into the picture with the Pacific Northwest offensive tackle pending a strong visit experience.

Speaking of Greene, Texas will need to knock it out of the park next week as Georgia seems to have grabbed the momentum for the St. John Bosco tackle. While Ohio State was the perceived leader, the Dawgs recently made a huge push. Greene is a player Texas absolutely needs in this class, so they will need to make a big splash during the visit.

Allen OL Neto Umeozulu seems to be circling a visit of some kind, but I just don’t hear a lot of positive buzz when it comes to Texas. Umeozulu is becoming even more of a mystery as USC once had the most momentum, but nobody seems to know where things stand at the moment.

Texas will also continue to push for Duncanville offensive tackle Cameron Williams and Humble Summer Creek offensive tackle Kelvin Banks. Banks appears to be a longshot at this point, but Texas is expected to host Williams sometime this year in Austin and he’s also headed to the Red River Showdown this week.

If Texas misses on tackles, keep an eye on players like Westlake’s Bray Lynch and Salt Lake City (Utah) Brighton offensive tackle Tyler Knaak. Knaak is a player Texas found while recruiting teammate Lander Barton, and he’s been in contact with several Texas staffers.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Texas is pretty much done at this position, but I believe they would take an elite if a guy like Quency Wiggins or Omari Abor wanted in. Wiggins still seems to be an LSU/Alabama battle, but Texas is working to capitalize on LSU’s struggles this season and the uncertainty of Ed Orgeron’s future in Baton Rouge.

Abor is another guy considering LSU, but Ohio State and Alabama have a much stronger chance of getting the Duncanville pass rusher. Abor said in the past he planned to visit for the Red River Showdown, but we’ve yet to confirm that for sure this week. Texas has done well enough in this department that they would be ok shutting things down where they are at, but adding more skill up front is never a bad thing.

LINEBACKER

Texas is just about set here as well, but the Longhorns will try to close with four-star Salt Lake City (Utah) linebacker Lander Barton. While Texas took its best shot, an official visit to Oregon remains while Utah looms large with the in-state pull. Texas is going to have to continue to work to try and land him.

Five-star Harold Perkins is listed as a linebacker, but Texas is looking at him as a hybrid defender capable of playing several different positions in Pete Kwiatkowski’s defense. Texas has been able to do a remarkable job getting back into his recruitment after it looked like he would be Texas A&M-bound.

There have been some rumors about potentially flipping Jeremy Patton, but I haven’t heard a ton there lately. Keep an eye on Pearland’s Kvon Sherman as a late-season guy, but Texas could also save the scholarship for next year’s class.

CORNERBACK
Denver Harris remains the prize, and despite rumors out there, Texas remains a big threat for the five-star Houston corner. Alabama seems to be the main competition, but LSU has been able to create a little buzz as well. I still think this race comes down to Saban vs Sarkisian as is the case for many races down the stretch, and Texas has so far been able to give Harris a lot of reasons to stay home.

The Longhorns have also been working on Ohio State commit Terrance Brooks to see if they can flip him. He’s been keeping the lines of communication open with the Texas staff, but nothing seems imminent at the moment. Sources near Brooks have indicated it’s likely he will take a visit at some point, but the Longhorns need to get him on campus if they want to create any progress.

Barring a senior eval candidate, Texas doesn’t have many other names on the board at the position. Texas has cornerback bodies in Austin Jordan and Ronald Lewis, but both are a little raw for the position and could require some development.

SAFETY
Blake Gideon has several irons in the fire at the safety position to fill out the back end of the defense. Four-star safety Larry Turner-Gooden will make the trip to Austin next week for his official visit as it appears Penn State is emerging as a tough competitor for him. USC and a few other schools will also factor in, and Arizona State will get the last visit.

Jacoby Mathews is another player we are watching closely. The five-star prospect from Ponchatoula (LA.) was hot on Texas in the spring before committing to LSU. Texas seemed to fade in the summer before coming back strong for the elite prospect. Mathews is reportedly scheduled to attend the Red River Showdown and the Oklahoma State game for an official visit. This is another instance where Texas is trying to capitalize on the struggles at LSU.

Bryce Anderson hasn’t returned to Austin since making his commitment to Texas A&M, but the lines of communication remain open with him. Texas will no doubt continue to push for the one time lean to see if they can flip him from their in-state recruiting rival down the stretch, but Anderson hasn’t shown any signs of breaking yet.

Shreveport (LA.) Captain Shreve ATH Kendrick Law is another name to watch here. Texas has been talking with him behind the scenes and would love to get the versatile athlete on campus. Law can play several positions, but he might best fit as a nickel prospect.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Looking at that list, I’m so glad Malcolm Roach made his way to the NFL.

Not sure there is another player who got fucked over more by bad coaching and poor roster management here than him. We had him playing as a stand up LB.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Getafix said:

The other top target on the board is five-star Frisco Liberty wide receiver Evan Stewart. Though Stewart recently decided to opt-out of the rest of his senior season, Texas will continue to pursue with fervor. Alabama and LSU remain as possible visit destinations for Stewart who has three official trips in hand, but Florida and Texas also sit near the top for him.

For all the talk about Florida being his leader, I'd be shocked if Stewart ends up there. Mullen isn't a closer in these recruitments, their passing offense has been underwhelming, and that program is starting to get exposed. 

Mullen is 1-5 against Power 5 opponents in his last 6 games. The most impressive thing he's done in his time there is manage to play Alabama relatively close twice. UF may offer TikToc influencing as a major but ultimately it's Texas of Alabama for Stewart IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting