Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 hours ago, RGBIII said:

If official word comes out about Texas joining the SEC for the 2022 season, I would expect a commitment to Texas from Perkins. Until then, it is a waiting game.

Bold statement there. If that's the case, have to wonder would he really go somewhere else if we move in 2023, just 1 year later? We play Bama next year anyway and as a true freshman he may not be on the field that season a lot regardless.

On OL recruiting, there's no reason to consider Banks as a lock to Oregon. These guys committing to far away places have to be pretty locked in as signing day approaches. I guess the same is true for Cam Williams. 

I assume Skinner is going to Bama, but I've asked around and Texas has at least put competitive argument in front of him and his nutjob father, which is a good sign. 

Someone mentioned Perkins taking a redshirt year next and, well, that isn't something a 5 star LB is going to do.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Bold statement there. If that's the case, have to wonder would he really go somewhere else if we move in 2023, just 1 year later? We play Bama next year anyway and as a true freshman he may not be on the field that season a lot regardless.

A date, whether '22 or '23, would be nice. Not just for Perkins, but for all of the recruits who seem to feel the same way about the SEC.

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I assume he will be Cook's primary backup next year if he comes here. We rotate guys in so much that he'd see the field plenty. He'd likely be the starter in year two

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I assume he will be Cook's primary backup next year if he comes here. We rotate guys in so much that he'd see the field plenty. He'd likely be the starter in year two

he'll definitely get the opportunity to play judging by the way PK rotates.

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

On OL recruiting, there's no reason to consider Banks as a lock to Oregon. These guys committing to far away places have to be pretty locked in as signing day approaches. I guess the same is true for Cam Williams. 

I assume Skinner is going to Bama, but I've asked around and Texas has at least put competitive argument in front of him and his nutjob father, which is a good sign. 

Someone mentioned Perkins taking a redshirt year next and, well, that isn't something a 5 star LB is going to do.

Has Plonsky been gagged and hog tied?

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

So we're planning on playing the 6'2" 210 lb lineback at the same position as our 6'3" 193 lb nickel back?  

I fully admit to not understanding PK's defense remotely yet.....but I would think Perkins would do better at Brocks spot or even Overshown's where you apparently get to clean up everything.

His highlights are almost entirely blitzing the QB almost exactly how Anthony Cook did vs TCU and getting the blindside sack fumble.  I assume Perkins wants to keep doing that.  

4 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I get that, but how often do we actually blitz with Cook?  Usually he is in coverage?  Like I said, I am not even going to claim a cursory level of knowledge of PK's D yet, so I am not exactly speaking from any form of knowledge base here.

Perkins is fast AF and can cover receivers, and this position is the main reason he’s interested in UT. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I get that, but how often do we actually blitz with Cook?  Usually he is in coverage?  Like I said, I am not even going to claim a cursory level of knowledge of PK's D yet, so I am not exactly speaking from any form of knowledge base here.

PK has called it many times per game the whole season.  It's either been picked up well by opponents or telegraphed before the snap, until this last one on Duggan.  Either way, pretty sure Perkins prefers that over the other LB spots that have to deal with bigger linemen and more dirty work

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

So we're planning on playing the 6'2" 210 lb lineback at the same position as our 6'3" 193 lb nickel back?  

I fully admit to not understanding PK's defense remotely yet.....but I would think Perkins would do better at Brocks spot or even Overshown's where you apparently get to clean up everything.

Someone googled anthony cook and just ran with some random dude's measureables instead of just checking our roster or 247. The two guys are actually built similarly, but Perkins is taller and twitchier.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Someone googled anthony cook and just ran with some random dude's measureables instead of just checking our roster or 247. The two guys are actually built similarly, but Perkins is taller and twitchier.

Excuse me then...6'1" 191 lbs according to Texassports as opposed to his wikipedia page which was the 1st result that came up.  So he is still 20lbs lighter than Perkins which was more my point. 

If Perkins has the ability to do it and wants to do it fine.  Semantics aside, it just sounds wierd to have a 210 lb nickel back, but PK's defense isn't the most traditional in many ways so if that's what Perk wants and will get him to sign then do it.

7 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Excuse me then...6'1" 191 lbs according to Texassports as opposed to his wikipedia page which was the 1st result that came up.  So he is still 20lbs lighter than Perkins which was more my point. 

If Perkins has the ability to do it and wants to do it fine.  Semantics aside, it just sounds wierd to have a 210 lb nickel back, but PK's defense isn't the most traditional in many ways so if that's what Perk wants and will get him to sign then do it.

Not quite, chief.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Cook_(American_football)

• Haha 1

Sorry chief, you google Anthony Cook Texas Longhorns, this is what comes up top of the list on google courtesy of Wikipedia.

Anthony Cook
Height: 6′ 3″
Weight: 192 lbs
Current team: Texas Longhorns football (#11 / Defensive back)

Sorry I saw the info I was looking for an went with it.
Edited by TexasRenegade

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Because no one on our current team is smoking pot. Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Meant to have a ? after that sentence. I have to admit I am ignorant to NCAA drug violations and how they are covered up. I do recall especially under Strong that players were suspended for drug violations. Not sure what rules we play by now.

Gerry Hamilton: Texas Longhorns prioritizing offensive lineman Kam Dewberry

One of the top prospects on the board for the Texas Longhorns is 4-star offensive lineman Kam Dewberry (Humble, Texas/Atascocita). The 6-foot-4, 315-pounder with an 82-inch wingspan is well aware that he is a priority for the Longhorns, especially with the personal recruiting attention from Steve Sarkisian. “Sark has been doing a really good job recruiting me himself,” Dewberry said. “He talks to me personally a lot. His main thing is that I can come in and have a big impact early as a true freshman. I can come in and make some big plays happen for that Texas offense.”

Dewberry, who plans to make his final official visit to Texas, has been impressed with what he’s seen from the Longhorns this season. “They’re running the ball amazingly right now. The offensive line, Coach Flood got those guys going. After that first game against Arkansas (where) they didn’t play too well, they really got things going pretty well. I see a lot of improvement there, and I see a lot on the defensive side, too. Texas’ thing has always been that they didn’t have enough defensive backs that could cover, but you’re starting to see things go really well.”

The recruitment of Dewberry also includes Texas commitments, who have been vocal in their effort lately. “You know, I really want to say the Texas group has been really, really heavy lately. They have been heavy lately. Really blowing me up, so I will say the Texas group is working he the most.” Dewberry will take in the Red River Showdown for the first time Saturday. And his expectations are that of a crazy atmosphere.

“I know it’s going to be crazy. Since the beginning of my recruiting process, I’ve watched every Texas-OU game, but I have never been to one. I know how ridiculous it’s going to be. You see red everywhere, burnt orange everywhere. It’s going to be exciting.” Dewberry has made official visits to LSU, Ohio State, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. He plans to announce his decision on signing day in December.

Texas offensive line commitments

Conner Robertson, IOL, Austin (Texas) Westlake
On300 ranking: No. 253

Cole Hutson, IOL, Frisco (Texas)

Top Texas offensive line targets

Devon Campbell, IOL, Arlington (Texas) Bowie
On300 ranking: No. 19

Kelvin Banks, OT, Humble (Texas) Summer Creek – Oregon commit
On300 ranking: No. 27

Neto Umeozulu, OT/IOL, Allen (Texas)
On300 ranking: No. 61

Earnest Greene, IOL, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco
On300 ranking: No. 131

Texas official visit: October 16

Malik Agbo, OT/IOL, Federal Way (Wa.) Todd Beamer

Texas official visit: October 16

Cameron Williams, OT/IOL, Duncanville (Texas) – Oregon commit

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Newy25 said:

We went from counting offensive line recruits in a class before they committed to penciling in transfers already. Eventually we actually do need to get one or two of these guys unless we have some insider info about college going to a 7v7 format. 

Yeah it's like a thing we do every cycle, ya know? Errybody to nerrybody to let's just hope one or two like us. It's infuriating and we fall for this shit every cycle. 

My body is ready again for '23

1 hour ago, TexasRenegade said:

Sorry chief, you google Anthony Cook Texas Longhorns, this is what comes up top of the list on google courtesy of Wikipedia.

Anthony Cook
Height: 6′ 3″
Weight: 192 lbs
Current team: Texas Longhorns football (#11 / Defensive back)

Sorry I saw the info I was looking for an went with it.

That page also says he’s 49 years old and was already drafted haha. The internet is a great place. Drafted in 1995 but is currently a member of the texas Longhorns football team. 

3 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Crystal says SEC in 2023, seemed confident about it. Not sure that can be taken to the bank, because it's Crystal. 

Well, it was initially 2022 and he was confident.  I’d think if he had to adjust to 2023 it was with good reason and a sense of real certainty. They’ve been at this a few months now.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, it was initially 2022 and he was confident.  I’d think if he had to adjust to 2023 it was with good reason and a sense of real certainty. They’ve been at this a few months now.

Thats what I figure too. Really sucks. A well timed SEC announcement for next year wouldve been so sweet as aggy burns to the ground. 

3 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

You're worked up over 20 pounds? Looks like he ran a 4.49 before his junior year. He's probably a lot faster than Cook.

Seems like a unique player in terms of how he would fit into the defense.  247 compares him to Myles Jack.

Edited by Bevo14

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

Thats what I figure too. Really sucks. A well timed SEC announcement for next year wouldve been so sweet as aggy burns to the ground. 

I think as long as recruits know it will be either 2022 or 2023 then we should be okay with the ones who want to play in the SEC. as long as they know it’s for sure not 2025. It would only mean their freshmen season in big 12. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

You're worked up over 20 pounds? Looks like he ran a 4.49 before his junior year. He's probably a lot faster than Cook.

Seems like a unique player in terms of how he would fit into the defense.  247 compares him to Myles Jack.

Who is worked up?  I admitted I don't know pks defense.

My main point I don't recall a 210 lb nickel before.  It was just an observation. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting