Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

7 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

For all the talk about Florida being his leader, I'd be shocked if Stewart ends up there. Mullen isn't a closer in these recruitments, their passing offense has been underwhelming, and that program is starting to get exposed. 

Mullen is 1-5 against Power 5 opponents in his last 6 games. The most impressive thing he's done in his time there is manage to play Alabama relatively close twice. UF may offer TikToc influencing as a major but ultimately it's Texas of Alabama for Stewart IMO. 

Wow ... that's quite an observation.  

Caught up in their close loss to Bama, and early top-10 ish ranking, I didn't quite realize that.

(And their one win is over Tennessee, who in turn is 2-9 versus P5 ... ) 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

You're worked up over 20 pounds? Looks like he ran a 4.49 before his junior year. He's probably a lot faster than Cook.

Seems like a unique player in terms of how he would fit into the defense.  247 compares him to Myles Jack.

Perkins is 210 as a junior in high school, who knows what weight he’ll be playing at after a couple years in a college s&c program. He may start out at Cooks current position but I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t grow out of it.

12 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

You're worked up over 20 pounds? Looks like he ran a 4.49 before his junior year. He's probably a lot faster than Cook.

Seems like a unique player in terms of how he would fit into the defense.  247 compares him to Myles Jack.

At this point about the only way to make sense of this thread is to smoke 20 pounds...

Honestly I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen as big of a recruiting swing over the course of one cycle than what we are seeing at A&M right now. This is really incredible to me, they took years of momentum and threw it all away over the course of one month😂😂😂 gotta stop making promises you can’t keep or you will get burned

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This is really incredible to me, they took years of momentum and threw it all away over the course of one month😂😂😂 gotta stop making promises you can’t keep or you will get burned

...the month isn't over!

Willy Wonka Suspense GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Honestly I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen as big of a recruiting swing over the course of one cycle than what we are seeing at A&M right now. This is really incredible to me, they took years of momentum and threw it all away over the course of one month😂😂😂 gotta stop making promises you can’t keep or you will get burned

At what point do their boosters start wavering and pull back on the bags? If things continue to spiral, I would imagine people get a little less enthusiastic about throwing their money away

Just now, Tex-19 said:

At what point do their boosters start wavering and pull back on the bags? If things continue to spiral, I would imagine people get a little less enthusiastic about throwing their money away

I think you underestimate the amount of money they're willing to spend to try and do the impossible.  They just gave Jimbo a raise for no fucking reason - they'll spend every last dollar they have to try and make aggy relevant - especially now that Texas is on its way to the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, canadianhorn21 said:

I'm starting to think our staff has been instructed to send out cryptic tweets to generate excitement lol

12 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Suchomel just forecasted Brenen Thompson to Texas.

Hopefully we can get him to bail on his Aggy visit 

27 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I'm starting to think our staff has been instructed to send out cryptic tweets to generate excitement lol

Hopefully we can get him to bail on his Aggy visit 

24 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

aggy does not have him on their visit list that they posted this morning.

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Hopefully he doesn’t make it. I wouldn’t want those guys having a chance at flipping him. 

Are we really that fretful about him going to watch Alabama crush the Aggies?

Do we think he will want to become an Aggie so bad that he will help collect body parts on the field after the game for proper burial?

I wouldn't choose Alabama at A&M over the historically important and intense Texas-OU game, but seeing Alabama close to home as a guest of the home school makes a pretty attractive offer. Accepting that offer doesn't mean that much. 

A player attending the Texas-Rice and then turning around to see the Texas-Texas Tech game does say something. 

Jeremy Crabtree - 15 Potential Flip Candidates Before NSD

As the recruiting calendar flips to October, we enter what recruiters call “decommitment season.”

It’s a maddening part of the recruiting process for coaches. Schools work for years to build a bond with a prospect and secure a commitment. Then, for a litany of reasons, a prospect will get cold feet, back away from the pledge and flip to another school. Coaches gripe about decommitments every year. But behind the scenes, they’re working hard to try and lure committed recruits their way.

Decommitments are a common part of the process. From the looks of it, we can expect a busy flip season with the 2022 class. On3 examines at On300 recruits still being heavily pursued by other programs looking for a flip before the early signing period starts December 15.

DL Mykel Williams – USC commit

Background: Columbus (Ga.) Hardaway
On300 Ranking: No. 5
The Skinny: Williams, the No. 5-ranked player in the country and a longtime USC commitment, gushed about his visit this past weekend to Georgia. Williams is not sure where he will be next weekend, but an official visit to Florida is possible. He was at The Swamp for the Alabama game a few weeks ago, and the Gators are on his list. In two weeks, after Georgia goes to Auburn next weekend, the Bulldogs are back home to host Kentucky and Williams will be there. Regardless, all the signs are there for a switch of some sort with Williams.
Flip forecast: 80%

IOL Aliou Bah – Florida State commit

Background: Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy; Bah is a Memphis native
On300 Ranking: No. 229
The Skinny: It’s probably best to list Bah’s commitment to Florida State as shaky. He was in Athens this past weekend, and intel says he had a good time on the trip. The Dawgs would love to add him to their offensive line class. So would Florida. The Gators are expected to host Bah on an official visit this weekend.

IOL Antavious Woody – Florida State commit

Background: Lafayette (Ala.) High
On300 Ranking: No. 269
The Skinny: As with Bah, it’s safe to call Woody a shaky FSU commitment at this point. Auburn hosted Woody for an unofficial visit earlier this season, and he’s expected on campus again for this Saturday’s games with Georgia. With Florida State currently struggling and Auburn making him a priority, Woody is someone to keep an eye on.
Flip forecast: 70%

CB Julian Humphrey – Florida commit

Background: Houston Clear Lake
The Skinny: Georgia made a major move for Humphrey after his official visit to Athens this past weekend. The Dawgs sold him on their ability to send DBs to the NFL. It was a pitch that resonated. Humphrey was at Florida for the Alabama game. He says he is still “solid” on his commitment to the Gators but that his visit to Athens “changed his outlook.” A visit to Alabama is in the works, and he’s expected to be in College Station this weekend. All signs point toward a potential decommitment.
Flip forecast: 50%

CB Deyon Bouie – Texas A&M commit

Background: Bainbridge (Ga.) High
On300 Ranking: No. 68
The Skinny: Bouie originally was committed to Georgia before he decommitted June 8. Bouie then committed to Texas A&M on Aug. 13. He was on campus for an unofficial visit on June 4 and July 30 before announcing his commitment to the Aggies. The Bulldogs haven’t relented in their pursuit. Coincidentally, Georgia coach Kirby Smart is a Bainbridge native. Bouie was at Georgia this past weekend, and Florida also is a factor. He plans on making a trip to College Station to watch the Aggies this weekend. That visit could go a long way toward determining if he flips or stays solid. His relationship with former UGA staffer and current A&M defensive analyst Nick Williams is a part of his decision-making process.
Flip forecast: 40%

S Bryce Anderson – Texas A&M commit

Background: Beaumont (Texas) West Brook
On300 Ranking: No. 23
The Skinny: Anderson made a very public commitment to Texas A&M over Texas about two months ago. He said he feels “at home every time I am at Texas A&M and it just feels right for me there.” But Anderson hasn’t shut the door on the Longhorns. Sources indicate Anderson had a “very good” Zoom call with Sarkisian late last week. Anderson previously was committed to LSU, so you can imagine how powerful of a message it would send to recruits if Texas is able to flip an A&M pledge who also was once committed to be a Tiger.
Flip forecast: 25%

QB Devin Brown – USC commit

Background: Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon
On300 Ranking: No. 63
The Skinny: Brown says he’s still committed to USC. But until the Trojans have a coach, other schools – namely rival UCLA and former USC coach Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss – aren’t going to stop pursuing him. Ole Miss offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby recently visited Brown, and now Brown has an official visit scheduled for Oct. 8.  Brown still says all the right things about USC and his commitment, but who the Trojans hire likely will go a long way toward where he officially lands.

EDGE J’Mond Tapp – Texas commit

Background: Donaldsonville (La.) Ascension Catholic
On300 Ranking: No. 175
The Skinny: Tapp continues to get the full-court press from LSU, and he’s been on campus several times this fall for unofficial visits. Tapp took an official visit to Texas in June, and he’s not scheduled one yet to LSU. But the Tigers are going to try to get one from the four-star prospect before the early signing period opens in December. Texas knows the Tigers are in hot pursuit, and DC Pete Kwiatkowski and cornerback coach/Louisiana native Terry Joseph are not slowing down in their efforts to convince Tapp to stay true.
Flip forecast: 15%

WR Jordan Hudson – SMU commit

Background: Garland (Texas) High
On300 Ranking: No. 22
The Skinny: Hudson already has flipped once, from Oklahoma to SMU, so it’s not outlandish to think he could do it again. This time, there’s plenty of smoke that Texas has become a major factor in his recruitment. Hudson canceled a scheduled official visit to the Forty Acres on Oct. 16. But there is speculation that SMU running backs coach Ra’Shaad Samples, Hudson’s lead recruiter with the Mustangs, is going to be a hot target for different schools in the offseason. If Samples leaves, the odds are slim Hudson stays true with SMU.

ATH Travis Hunter – Florida State commit

Background: Suwanee (Ga.) Collins Hill
On300 Ranking: No. 2
The Skinny: Georgia received a surprise visit this past weekend from the No. 2 recruit in the country. Hunter is a longtime FSU commitment, and it’s still unclear whether he is legitimately looking at other schools. During an Instagram Live a couple of hours after Florida State lost to Wake Forest on September 25, Hunter told FSU fans to not believe any rumors that he’s wavering on his pledge. “I’m not going nowhere, bro,” Hunter said. “Don’t let them boys fool y’all. I’m committed. I’m staying committed.” Regardless, the Dawgs have remained in hot pursuit, and the environment in Athens for Saturday’s rout of Arkansas had to be a good thing for Georgia.
Flip forecast: 10%

CB Terrance Brooks – Ohio State commit

Background: Little Elm (Texas) High
On300 Ranking: No. 15
The Skinny: Brooks committed to Ohio State after a round of official visits this summer to OSU, Alabama, Florida, Oregon and Texas. Brooks continues to say publicly that he’s all in with the Buckeyes. But he’s also continuing to talk to coaches at other schools, especially the Longhorns. If Texas coach Steve Sarkisian pulls this off, it would be a massive flip. It also would signal that you can’t just walk into Texas and take the state’s top prospects anymore.

IOL Will Campbell – LSU commit

Background: Monroe (La.) Neville
On300 Ranking: No. 74
The Skinny: Campbell continues to say publicly all the right things about his commitment to the Tigers, including doing interviews about enrolling early. He’s also repeatedly visited the campus in Baton Rouge, but there is smoke that Texas is involved here in some capacity. That said, this seems like a tough one to pull away from LSU.

WR Raleek Brown – Oklahoma commit

Background: Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
On300 Ranking: No. 138
The Skinny: Brown seems tailor-made for the Oklahoma offense. That’s why it made sense for him to commit to the Sooners early in the recruiting process. But when you play for one of the top programs in southern California, you’re going to get the full-court press from USC – even when the Trojans are going through a coaching change. Brown teased fans last weekend in the marquee matchup against St. John Bosco by wearing a USC arm sleeve. Yet, he continues to say all the right things about his OU pledge, and behind the scene he seems solid with the Sooners. He’ll still be one to watch once USC finds its next coach.

QB Walker Howard – LSU commit

Background: Lafayette (La.) St. Thomas More
On300 Ranking: No. 66
The Skinny: Every indication was that Howard was 100% on board with the Tigers. He’s an in-state recruit. He’s a coveted prospect at a priority position. He has family ties to the school. Plus, he’s been committed for more than a year. There were no real signs he was looking around until Notre Dame offered him on Sept. 30. Quietly, Howard scheduled a visit to South Bend for this past weekend. But he was not able to make the visit because he fractured his left fibula Friday night. The visit would have been his first to a school outside of Louisiana. It’s not clear yet how the injury impacts his recruitment.
Flip forecast: 5%

CB Domani Jackson – USC commit

On300 Ranking: No. 10
The Skinny: Jackson is a longtime USC commitment. But as with Williams, the firing of Clay Helton has opened the door for Michigan and Alabama. Jackson told On3’s Chad Simmons he cares about stability and being competitive. That’s two things that Michigan appears to have after its 5-0 start. Alabama also will get an official visit. Still, it’s going to take a lot for Jackson to not end up at USC. If interim coach Donte Williams (who also is the Trojans’ secondary coach) remains at USC in some fashion, it’s a good bet Jackson will be a Trojan. “Donte is a big factor in this recruiting class,” Jackson said. “I think he is a big factor not just with me, but with a lot of the commits.”

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Jeremy Crabtree - 15 Potential Flip Candidates Before NSD

As the recruiting calendar flips to October, we enter what recruiters call “decommitment season.”

It’s a maddening part of the recruiting process for coaches. Schools work for years to build a bond with a prospect and secure a commitment. Then, for a litany of reasons, a prospect will get cold feet, back away from the pledge and flip to another school. Coaches gripe about decommitments every year. But behind the scenes, they’re working hard to try and lure committed recruits their way.

Decommitments are a common part of the process. From the looks of it, we can expect a busy flip season with the 2022 class. On3 examines at On300 recruits still being heavily pursued by other programs looking for a flip before the early signing period starts December 15.

DL Mykel Williams – USC commit

Background: Columbus (Ga.) Hardaway
On300 Ranking: No. 5
The Skinny: Williams, the No. 5-ranked player in the country and a longtime USC commitment, gushed about his visit this past weekend to Georgia. Williams is not sure where he will be next weekend, but an official visit to Florida is possible. He was at The Swamp for the Alabama game a few weeks ago, and the Gators are on his list. In two weeks, after Georgia goes to Auburn next weekend, the Bulldogs are back home to host Kentucky and Williams will be there. Regardless, all the signs are there for a switch of some sort with Williams.

IOL Aliou Bah – Florida State commit

Background: Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy; Bah is a Memphis native
The Skinny: It’s probably best to list Bah’s commitment to Florida State as shaky. He was in Athens this past weekend, and intel says he had a good time on the trip. The Dawgs would love to add him to their offensive line class. So would Florida. The Gators are expected to host Bah on an official visit this weekend.

IOL Antavious Woody – Florida State commit

Background: Lafayette (Ala.) High
On300 Ranking: No. 269
The Skinny: As with Bah, it’s safe to call Woody a shaky FSU commitment at this point. Auburn hosted Woody for an unofficial visit earlier this season, and he’s expected on campus again for this Saturday’s games with Georgia. With Florida State currently struggling and Auburn making him a priority, Woody is someone to keep an eye on.
Flip forecast: 70%

CB Julian Humphrey – Florida commit

Background: Houston Clear Lake
The Skinny: Georgia made a major move for Humphrey after his official visit to Athens this past weekend. The Dawgs sold him on their ability to send DBs to the NFL. It was a pitch that resonated. Humphrey was at Florida for the Alabama game. He says he is still “solid” on his commitment to the Gators but that his visit to Athens “changed his outlook.” A visit to Alabama is in the works, and he’s expected to be in College Station this weekend. All signs point toward a potential decommitment.
Flip forecast: 50%

CB Deyon Bouie – Texas A&M commit

Background: Bainbridge (Ga.) High
On300 Ranking: No. 68
The Skinny: Bouie originally was committed to Georgia before he decommitted June 8. Bouie then committed to Texas A&M on Aug. 13. He was on campus for an unofficial visit on June 4 and July 30 before announcing his commitment to the Aggies. The Bulldogs haven’t relented in their pursuit. Coincidentally, Georgia coach Kirby Smart is a Bainbridge native. Bouie was at Georgia this past weekend, and Florida also is a factor. He plans on making a trip to College Station to watch the Aggies this weekend. That visit could go a long way toward determining if he flips or stays solid. His relationship with former UGA staffer and current A&M defensive analyst Nick Williams is a part of his decision-making process.
Flip forecast: 40%

S Bryce Anderson – Texas A&M commit

Background: Beaumont (Texas) West Brook
On300 Ranking: No. 23
The Skinny: Anderson made a very public commitment to Texas A&M over Texas about two months ago. He said he feels “at home every time I am at Texas A&M and it just feels right for me there.” But Anderson hasn’t shut the door on the Longhorns. Sources indicate Anderson had a “very good” Zoom call with Sarkisian late last week. Anderson previously was committed to LSU, so you can imagine how powerful of a message it would send to recruits if Texas is able to flip an A&M pledge who also was once committed to be a Tiger.

QB Devin Brown – USC commit

Background: Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon
On300 Ranking: No. 63
The Skinny: Brown says he’s still committed to USC. But until the Trojans have a coach, other schools – namely rival UCLA and former USC coach Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss – aren’t going to stop pursuing him. Ole Miss offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby recently visited Brown, and now Brown has an official visit scheduled for Oct. 8.  Brown still says all the right things about USC and his commitment, but who the Trojans hire likely will go a long way toward where he officially lands.

EDGE J’Mond Tapp – Texas commit

Background: Donaldsonville (La.) Ascension Catholic
On300 Ranking: No. 175
The Skinny: Tapp continues to get the full-court press from LSU, and he’s been on campus several times this fall for unofficial visits. Tapp took an official visit to Texas in June, and he’s not scheduled one yet to LSU. But the Tigers are going to try to get one from the four-star prospect before the early signing period opens in December. Texas knows the Tigers are in hot pursuit, and DC Pete Kwiatkowski and cornerback coach/Louisiana native Terry Joseph are not slowing down in their efforts to convince Tapp to stay true.

WR Jordan Hudson – SMU commit

Background: Garland (Texas) High
On300 Ranking: No. 22
The Skinny: Hudson already has flipped once, from Oklahoma to SMU, so it’s not outlandish to think he could do it again. This time, there’s plenty of smoke that Texas has become a major factor in his recruitment. Hudson canceled a scheduled official visit to the Forty Acres on Oct. 16. But there is speculation that SMU running backs coach Ra’Shaad Samples, Hudson’s lead recruiter with the Mustangs, is going to be a hot target for different schools in the offseason. If Samples leaves, the odds are slim Hudson stays true with SMU.

ATH Travis Hunter – Florida State commit

Background: Suwanee (Ga.) Collins Hill
On300 Ranking: No. 2
The Skinny: Georgia received a surprise visit this past weekend from the No. 2 recruit in the country. Hunter is a longtime FSU commitment, and it’s still unclear whether he is legitimately looking at other schools. During an Instagram Live a couple of hours after Florida State lost to Wake Forest on September 25, Hunter told FSU fans to not believe any rumors that he’s wavering on his pledge. “I’m not going nowhere, bro,” Hunter said. “Don’t let them boys fool y’all. I’m committed. I’m staying committed.” Regardless, the Dawgs have remained in hot pursuit, and the environment in Athens for Saturday’s rout of Arkansas had to be a good thing for Georgia.

CB Terrance Brooks – Ohio State commit

Background: Little Elm (Texas) High
On300 Ranking: No. 15
The Skinny: Brooks committed to Ohio State after a round of official visits this summer to OSU, Alabama, Florida, Oregon and Texas. Brooks continues to say publicly that he’s all in with the Buckeyes. But he’s also continuing to talk to coaches at other schools, especially the Longhorns. If Texas coach Steve Sarkisian pulls this off, it would be a massive flip. It also would signal that you can’t just walk into Texas and take the state’s top prospects anymore.

IOL Will Campbell – LSU commit

Background: Monroe (La.) Neville
On300 Ranking: No. 74
The Skinny: Campbell continues to say publicly all the right things about his commitment to the Tigers, including doing interviews about enrolling early. He’s also repeatedly visited the campus in Baton Rouge, but there is smoke that Texas is involved here in some capacity. That said, this seems like a tough one to pull away from LSU.

WR Raleek Brown – Oklahoma commit

On300 Ranking: No. 138
The Skinny: Brown seems tailor-made for the Oklahoma offense. That’s why it made sense for him to commit to the Sooners early in the recruiting process. But when you play for one of the top programs in southern California, you’re going to get the full-court press from USC – even when the Trojans are going through a coaching change. Brown teased fans last weekend in the marquee matchup against St. John Bosco by wearing a USC arm sleeve. Yet, he continues to say all the right things about his OU pledge, and behind the scene he seems solid with the Sooners. He’ll still be one to watch once USC finds its next coach.

QB Walker Howard – LSU commit

Background: Lafayette (La.) St. Thomas More
On300 Ranking: No. 66
The Skinny: Every indication was that Howard was 100% on board with the Tigers. He’s an in-state recruit. He’s a coveted prospect at a priority position. He has family ties to the school. Plus, he’s been committed for more than a year. There were no real signs he was looking around until Notre Dame offered him on Sept. 30. Quietly, Howard scheduled a visit to South Bend for this past weekend. But he was not able to make the visit because he fractured his left fibula Friday night. The visit would have been his first to a school outside of Louisiana. It’s not clear yet how the injury impacts his recruitment.

CB Domani Jackson – USC commit

On300 Ranking: No. 10
The Skinny: Jackson is a longtime USC commitment. But as with Williams, the firing of Clay Helton has opened the door for Michigan and Alabama. Jackson told On3’s Chad Simmons he cares about stability and being competitive. That’s two things that Michigan appears to have after its 5-0 start. Alabama also will get an official visit. Still, it’s going to take a lot for Jackson to not end up at USC. If interim coach Donte Williams (who also is the Trojans’ secondary coach) remains at USC in some fashion, it’s a good bet Jackson will be a Trojan. “Donte is a big factor in this recruiting class,” Jackson said. “I think he is a big factor not just with me, but with a lot of the commits.”

So basically Georgia is going to flip everybody in the country. Awesome

(no, but really, good info on Texas in here)

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting