Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

14 hours ago, futureman said:

y’all are probably right but all I know is that vegas isn’t typically wrong about this stuff and they are not in the business of giving away free money. for whatever reason they don’t see a 30-40 point blowout coming even though it seems inevitable. 

That’s my point. Usually when a line seems too obvious to be true, it actually ends up going the other way. I just don’t see what they could possibly know about this one 

42 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I haven't been impressed with our start on offense in big games. We definitely need to script our first series better.

We need to script better opening kick coverage, especially if we elect to defer.  That was a game opening heart attack.  Big kick start to their fans.  Please, let's not open with blown coverage ever again.  

48 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I haven't been impressed with our start on offense in big games. We definitely need to script our first series better.

Grinch is a great coach I don’t see him letting Bijan carry us. This game is on Casey, I think we see fireworks. Hopefully PK can show us a little something too

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I can see us running the ball right at Bonitto for most of the game. Wear him down playing the run and he won’t be able/sure to just explode off the edges. 

I will add the caveat that grinch runs a similar D to Todd Grantham at FLA and Sark jellied them with crossing routes and outside zone

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

Just now, Viper said:

I dunno, we scripted a TD on the first play of the TCU game. Not the scripter's fault Thompson overthrew it.

I hate to go back to Applewhite as a player, but he did such a good job with a weak arm. Thompson had the entire field. All he had to do was throw it to the open space. The WR probably would have still scored.

17 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Grinch is a great coach I don’t see him letting Bijan carry us. This game is on Casey, I think we see fireworks. Hopefully PK can show us a little something too

Can you elaborate on your thoughts about Grinch? Or what the word "great" means to you, so we can have some context?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I hate to go back to Applewhite as a player, but he did such a good job with a weak arm. Thompson had the entire field. All he had to do was throw it to the open space. The WR probably would have still scored.

Actually, I've used Applewhite as a comp for Thompson a few times on this site specifically because:

1) They both have weak arms

2) They are both not ideal in physique

3) They've both been labeled "gamers"

Obviously Thompson is a far better athlete than Applewhite. Applewhite had a few games where he threw the ball downfield really well, and he also had a number of stinkers. Thompson looked good throwing the ball downfield against Colorado and he's looked like utter shit doing it so far this season. Maybe he has a breakout with the deep ball on Saturday. That would be nice. 

Until Thompson does show that he can throw a pass with competency over 25 yards in the air, I expect to see more of what Fat Patty did last week - create looks that basically begged for the deep ball, because it will be a wasted play. Grinch is a buffoon if he doesn't beg Thompson to prove he can beat them deep. 

• Like 2

Key to this game is how PK game plans. Instead of take away run game, priority is to take away pass game first. I would think he has comfort with that type of game plan coming from Pac. Real question is do we have the players to implement that effectively 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Can you elaborate on your thoughts about Grinch? Or what the word "great" means to you, so we can have some context?

Everywhere he’s been he’s made the defense better. He takes away what the offense does best and forces you to beat him differently than you beat the last team. His teams struggle with vertical offenses but he balances it out with an aggressive approach that makes you go quick passing game. He runs a sound scheme and won’t beat himself. He trusts his athletes to be athletes which is admirable considering this is the age where every coach is trying to reinvent the wheel. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Actually, I've used Applewhite as a comp for Thompson a few times on this site specifically because:

Obviously Thompson is a far better athlete than Applewhite. Applewhite had a few games where he threw the ball downfield really well, and he also had a number of stinkers. Thompson looked good throwing the ball downfield against Colorado and he's looked like utter shit doing it so far this season. Maybe he has a breakout with the deep ball on Saturday. That would be nice. 

Until Thompson does show that he can throw a pass with competency over 25 yards in the air, I expect to see more of what Fat Patty did last week - create looks that basically begged for the deep ball, because it will be a wasted play. Grinch is a buffoon if he doesn't beg Thompson to prove he can beat them deep. 

Saw on another board an interesting tweet regarding Rattler with his deep ball accuracy this year. 

I think accuracy on deep balls come from having time in the pocket to allow them to come open. Majority of deep balls are usually contested otherwise.

Key difference I've seen between Rattler this year and last is the amount of time he has to throw is smaller. He's 3/12 with 0 TD and 2 INT on balls thrown 20+ yards downfield.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I will say that one key difference is that MA thought he was Peyton Manning and would yell line calls/blitz pickups and never hiked the ball with anything more than 1-2 seconds left on the play clock. He was so incredibly annoying to watch as he would kill all momentum that a good play created by trying to be a head coach on the field non stop. Casey at least hustles to the line, gets play off fast in order to put foot on defenses throat. I agree that Casey's deep balls tend to look like punts vs good, accurate throws.

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thompson looked good throwing the ball downfield against Colorado and he's looked like utter shit doing it so far this season. Maybe he has a breakout with the deep ball on Saturday. That would be nice. 

He appears to have lost some arm strength since last December. He was making throws in that game that I haven't seen him do yet this year. I don't get it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What’s interesting is that if you go back and watch film of the ball game against Colorado, he throws three deep balls and all three are beautiful. He has it in his arsenal, but you have to wonder if it’s getting in his head now.

He unleashed some beautiful deep throws in that game.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I don't think Sarkisian tries to light the world on fire in his initial script. He wants to see defensive alignments and concepts, then he adjusts from there to the good stuff. If we score a touchdown on the first series, that bodes very well for the rest of the game.

So...from a recruiting perspective, which remaining targets are most likely to see something positive they can relate to in our performance against OU? Hopefully we run and protect well enough to show Campbell our OL staff can prep guys to do both against a solid D. On the other side of the ball, I really want Overshown to have a big impact, so Perkins can see himself in that same role in a critical matchup.

Edited by Gut Wagon

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

So...from a recruiting perspective, which remaining targets are most likely to see something positive they can relate to in our performance against OU? Hopefully we run and protect well enough to show Campbell our OL staff can prep guys to do both against a solid D. On the other side of the ball, I really want Overshown to have a big impact, so Perkins can see himself in that same role in a critical matchup.

Don't you think this is a better question for, I don't know, maybe after the game when we know what our performance looked like?

I want everyone to play awesome and to skullfuck them by 50. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

So...from a recruiting perspective, which remaining targets are most likely to see something positive they can relate to in our performance against OU? Hopefully we run and protect well enough to show Campbell our OL staff can prep guys to do both against a solid D. On the other side of the ball, I really want a big game from Overshown to have a big impact, so Perkins can see himself in that same role in a critical matchup.

Honestly recruiting wise if Grinch throws everything at our run game, I hope Casey lights it up, With Stewart in the stands as well as Arch watching that has to be light years ahead of what Florida or even UGA has done. 

But honestly I want our offense to be on some Texas Tech shit. Everyone balls out and we put 60+ up

Edited by D3zii

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Don't you think this is a better question for, I don't know, maybe after the game when we know what our performance looked like?

I want everyone to play awesome and to skullfuck them by 50. 

Of course. Thus throwing "most likely" into the question. Maybe just an effort to get back to the recruiting side of things instead of OU week prep for the current team. 

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I don't think Sarkisian tries to light the world on fire in his initial script. He wants to see defensive alignments and concepts, then he adjusts from there to the good stuff. If we score a touchdown on the first series, that bodes very well for the rest of the game.

That's how I see it, too. It is a problem against good offenses because I don't think we have the mentality as a team to come back from a decent deficit in a hostile environment. We may get there eventually but we still don't have the confidence that some of the top teams have: We kind of panic.

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

What’s interesting is that if you go back and watch film of the ball game against Colorado, he throws three deep balls and all three are beautiful. He has it in his arsenal, but you have to wonder if it’s getting in his head now.

He unleashed some beautiful deep throws in that game.

That's the thing, this fanbase convinced themselves that they were all beautiful but they weren't. The long TD to Dixon was a wobbly floater that was underthrown by 4 yards. Fortunately Dixon had blown by their slow LB and could have had him beat by 8 yards at that point. Even against Colorado his medium and short throws were much better than his long throws.

His primary issue now is as pointed out above. When we scheme one of our guys open deep he needs to throw the ball across the field instead of up the field. Two huge misses on Saturday because he threw the ball up the field instead of across to a guy coming open on a post type route, plus the one Whittington saved him on. Anyway, back to recruiting.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

That's how I see it, too. It is a problem against good offenses because I don't think we have the mentality as a team to come back from a decent deficit in a hostile environment. We may get there eventually but we still don't have the confidence that some of the top teams have: We kind of panic.

Well, they did against Arkansas. So the sample size is one.

TCU punched us in the face to start the game off, and we won that one (thank you Derius Davis and Bijan)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I can see us running the ball right at Bonitto for most of the game. Wear him down playing the run and he won’t be able/sure to just explode off the edges. 

I may be imagining this, but it seems that we've been trying to quickly attack the edges (with motion, screens, etc.) a lot more in some games than others. I think this might be a game where we go back to that

Edited by TotallyLegit

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He appears to have lost some arm strength since last December. He was making throws in that game that I haven't seen him do yet this year. I don't get it. 

This is interesting and kinda weird. He threw some of those long, low altitude bombs against Colorado, the one to Kelvontay in particular--which was a little under thrown. I haven't analyzed all his throws this year, and yes he's thrown a few arm-punts, but more of them seem to have actually been *overthrown* to me. He doesn't have a hand cannon like Card, but he's not a noodle-arm. I think he's just getting calibrated, to be honest. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

because I don't think we have the mentality as a team to come back from a decent deficit in a hostile environment

Our only real example we have to show any evidence of that would be Arkansas, and I don't think it had much to do with an overall mentality. Also, I wouldn't consider the cotton bowl/OU game a hostile environment. It's a completely different thing, its own thing.

But I do get ya.

Gerry - Texas 10 Most Wanted Recruits

The Texas Longhorns are back in the AP Top 25 ahead of the Red River Showdown.

The Longhorns have a top 5 ranked class, and are riding the momentum of a three-game winning streak. The most recent win over TCU signaled Steve Sarkisian is moving in the right direction in Austin.

Inside Texas takes a look at the 10 most wanted recruits, with On300 speedster Brenen Thompson set to announce his commitment tonight at 7 p.m.

Texas Longhorns 10 most wanted recruits

1. Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans Isidore Newman
On300 ranking: No. 1 in 2023

Manning has been on campus at Georgia and Alabama this season. Next up is Texas on October 16. Ole Miss and Clemson are scheduled to receive visits the following two weekends. There are plenty of elite prospects on this list, but this is Sark’s Chris Simms in terms of flipping the perception and sending strong signals nationally.

2. Evan Stewart, WR, Frisco (Texas) Liberty
On300 ranking: No. 4

The 5-star playmaker will be at the Cotton Bowl Saturday to watch Texas versus Oklahoma. And he is likely to be in Austin on October 16 for the Longhorns game versus Oklahoma State in what is a massive recruiting weekend. Florida remains a strong contender. Alabama is likely to get an official on November 6. Georgia and LSU are working to get Stewart on campus.

3. Devon Campbell, IOL, Arlington (Texas) Bowie

On300 ranking: No. 19

Campbell will be in the stands at the Cotton Bowl one week after watching Alabama maul Ole Miss. LSU will receive an official in November, and Texas is expected to receive the final official. Oklahoma is a real contender, and USC is still trying. The Crimson Tide believe they are in a “real dog fight” to beat out the programs closer to home.

4. Denver Harris, CB, Houston North Shore
On300 ranking: No. 12

Harris not committing on September 22 was big. Both Texas and LSU have made positive moves of late. Harris showing up in Austin two Saturdays ago is meaningful in the chase. Nick Saban is still zooming with the 5-star corner.

5. Kelvin Banks, OT, Humble (Texas) Summer Creek – Oregon commit
On300 ranking: No. 27

Banks continues to have communication with Texas, Texas A&M and LSU. The Longhorns staff will continue to stay in contact and chip away here. If Banks shows up in Austin this season, this recruitment will officially heat up.

6. Terrence Brooks, CB, Little Elm (Texas) – Ohio State commit
On300 ranking: No. 15

Brooks remains in consistent communication with the Texas staff. A visit to Texas this season is possible, if not likely. Alabama and Oregon also remain in contact. This recruitment is a long shot, but how the Ohio State season plays out will be key.

7. Harold Perkins, LB/hybrid, Cypress (Texas) Cy Park
On300 ranking: No. 8

Perkins loves the city of Austin and can envision himself playing at Texas. Getting over the SEC decision should Texas not make the move to the SEC until the 2023-24 season is a hurdle. LSU will get Perkins on campus again on October 16 for the game versus Florida. Texas A&M remains in the mix. Oregon may get an official. Alabama is lurking. Florida has faded.

8. Kam Dewberry, IOL/OT, Humble (Texas) Atascocita
On300 ranking: No. 121

Dewberry is scheduled to take in his first Red River Showdown in person Saturday. The Longhorns will also receive an official visit this season with the date TBD. Oklahoma and Texas A&M are battling Texas closest to home. Ohio State is too far, and tried to pressure a commit too much in June. LSU is on the peripheral.

9. Brenen Thompson, WR, Spearman (Texas)
On300 ranking: No. 40

Thompson is announcing tonight at 7 p.m. The speedster with a 10.38 100m and 21.27 200m to his credit has been a top target of Sarkisian and Jeff Banks since they arrived in Austin. Texas has led Texas A&M and Oklahoma State since the family made an official visit September 17th weekend.

10. Bryce Anderson, S, Beaumont (Texas) West Brook – Texas A&M commit
On300 ranking: No. 23

Anderson has continued communication with the Texas staff, including Sarkisian. Anderson has a strong bond with Jimbo Fisher, but the Longhorns are continuing to chip away.

Three just missed

Jordan Hudson, WR, Garland (Texas)
Earnest Greene, IOL, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco
Jacoby Mathews, S/hybrid, Ponchatoula (La.)

*Texas is also recruiting a number of other coveted prospects. That list includes No. 55 Quency Wiggins (Baton Rouge Madison Prep), No. 61 Neto Umeozulu (Allen), No. 101 Shazz Preston (Saint James, La.), No. 176 Lander Barton (Salt Lake City Brighton) and safety Larry Turner-Gooden (Mission Hills, Calif./Bishop Alemany).

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Everywhere he’s been he’s made the defense better. 

False. They couldn't run him out of Columbus fast enough. They gave up 100 more yards per game from the previous year after he became DC. Or Co-DC, if you want to split hairs. All I know is that going from tOSU to Oklahoma is at best a lateral move, and more accurately a GTFO from Urban Meyer.

Sure, he's been better than Mike Stoops was at OU, but I'm still not buying him as some great defensive mind. This conference isn't what it once was offensively. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well, they did against Arkansas. So the sample size is one.

TCU punched us in the face to start the game off, and we won that one (thank you Derius Davis and Bijan)

True. I might be projecting. I just don't want to see it happen again, ever.

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

I will say that one key difference is that MA thought he was Peyton Manning and would yell line calls/blitz pickups and never hiked the ball with anything more than 1-2 seconds left on the play clock. He was so incredibly annoying to watch as he would kill all momentum that a good play created by trying to be a head coach on the field non stop. Casey at least hustles to the line, gets play off fast in order to put foot on defenses throat. I agree that Casey's deep balls tend to look like punts vs good, accurate throws.

To be fair, Major had to undo all of GDs shitty calls at the line

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, closetohumping said:

Why is anyone committing to tcu right now?  Are they still selling that power five shit?

His only big Power 5 offer was from ND and he doesnt want to go that far from home. TCU made him a priority. Just under the radar up in Amarillo for no reason with Avion Carter and B Thompson being big recruits. Tascosa runs the triple O and that definitely doesnt help, but Patterson knows it doesnt make a shit. Frustrating. 

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Why is anyone committing to tcu right now?  Are they still selling that power five shit?

Two of the four new Big 12 teams are currently in the top 10. I am sure Patterson is using that to spin that the Big 12 will be just as good going forward without us.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

False. They couldn't run him out of Columbus fast enough. They gave up 100 more yards per game from the previous year after he became DC. Or Co-DC, if you want to split hairs. All I know is that going from tOSU to Oklahoma is at best a lateral move, and more accurately a GTFO from Urban Meyer.

Sure, he's been better than Mike Stoops was at OU, but I'm still not buying him as some great defensive mind. This conference isn't what it once was offensively. 

He was not the playcaller at Ohio state

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting