Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

He appears to have lost some arm strength since last December. He was making throws in that game that I haven't seen him do yet this year. I don't get it. 

I mean, he had one true deep shot connection and it was, as deliberated on surly for weeks, underthrown.  Colorado matched a lb slower than molasses running uphill in January with crutches on Kelvontay Dixon.  He had all day to modulate his speed to have the ball drop in and then did the rest.   iirc the other attempts further than 25 yds either fell long to Washington and/or PI.   We've seen well over 20 deep attempts this season I believe, and very few have looked accurate or well timed.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm amazed there's still a crowd of people proffering Casey Thompson as a great deep ball thrower who claim to have watched the Colorado game as well as this entire season's body of work...because STATS!. Which one of you cunts left the door from the football board unlocked and cracked open?

isn't he something like 1/25 on deep balls this season?

The argument about his arm strength is especially frustrating. Just bc you overthrow deep routes doesnt mean you have a strong arm. Sometimes it means you have to chunk it as hard as you can to prevent an under throw and you lose your timing and touch with your receiver. Seen a lot of that with Thompson. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mvlonghorns said:

Two of the four new Big 12 teams are currently in the top 10. I am sure Patterson is using that to spin that the Big 12 will be just as good going forward without us.

That is just because Texas or OU hasn't played the leaders yet.

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Anyone know how these recruit "invites" work for this game? Are they on the sideline or just in the stands? Are we able to do it because we're the home team or is that irrelevant?

Home team (us this year) can give recruits tickets to the game in their section, but there’s not supposed to be any contact between them and the staff at the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Viper said:

I dunno, we scripted a TD on the first play of the TCU game. Not the scripter's fault Thompson overthrew it.

We also had a good script vs Tech.  We came out throwing and backed them off; then we just ran it down their throat.  Before you say it was just Tech, they did hold WV to 20 in Morgantown.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

The argument about his arm strength is especially frustrating. Just bc you overthrow deep routes doesnt mean you have a strong arm. Sometimes it means you have to chunk it as hard as you can to prevent an under throw and you lose your timing and touch with your receiver. Seen a lot of that with Thompson. 

I wasn't just talking about his deep balls. He looked to have more zip on all throws than he has shown this year. 

58 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

At least try to court him a little bit and see if you can get him to hold off until December. I get it’s a numbers deal but the kid is electric. My favorite recruit this cycle. 

The last time I heard this kind of consternation about us not offering a running back is when we refused to offer Eno Benjamin. Clearly history proved Charlie Strong's evaluation techniques to be sound and without contestation. 

• Rage+1 3

8 minutes ago, cochamps said:

We also had a good script vs Tech.  We came out throwing and backed them off; then we just ran it down their throat.  Before you say it was just Tech, they did hold WV to 20 in Morgantown.

WVU's results this season makes it look like Tom Herman is coaching them. Maybe it isn't Tech, but what if it's actually WVU?

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The last time I heard this kind of consternation about us not offering a running back is when we refused to offer Eno Benjamin. Clearly history proved Charlie Strong's evaluation techniques to be sound and without contestation. 

Yes, but Charlie also didn't have 2 other RBs committed at the time, and I think if Herman had made him a priority over the kid that Georgia dumped, Benjamin would have been a Horn.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I wasn't just talking about his deep balls. He looked to have more zip on all throws than he has shown this year. 

I think some of it is that Casey's throwing motion is so much faster than Ellinger's was.  It looked like he was throwing darts against Colorado because we were so used to Sam's slow windup followed by a ball that tended to flutter.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes, but Charlie also didn't have 2 other RBs committed at the time, and I think if Herman had made him a priority over the kid that Georgia dumped, Benjamin would have been a Horn.

Classic career ruined by a bad handler there:

https://javelinaathletics.com/sports/football/roster/toneil-carter/5595

55 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm amazed there's still a crowd of people proffering Casey Thompson as a great deep ball thrower who claim to have watched the Colorado game as well as this entire season's body of work...because STATS!. Which one of you cunts left the door from the football board unlocked and cracked open?

Talk shit about stats one more time, motherfucker.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

15 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Eh, Benjamin was a really good football player, who didn’t have the measurables people here salivate over. Everhart is the opposite, most people love him because of his measurables more than his football acumen. He’s just fast.

This also was Herman’s fault. That was his transition class, and he just chose Carter and passed on Eno. If he wanted Eno, he would’ve got him.

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Classic career ruined by a bad handler there:

https://javelinaathletics.com/sports/football/roster/toneil-carter/5595

And not being good at football.

Home team (us this year) can give recruits tickets to the game in their section, but there’s not supposed to be any contact between them and the staff at the game. 
It's close enough to Halloween for costumes and masks, right?

Thats ok, I'm sure all the grown men following these kids on twitter will step up and do the staffers jobs. *shudders*

12 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Eh, Benjamin was a really good football player, who didn’t have the measurables people here salivate over. Everhart is the opposite, most people love him because of his measurables more than his football acumen. He’s just fast.

This also was Herman’s fault. That was his transition class, and he just chose Carter and passed on Eno. If he wanted Eno, he would’ve got him.

And not being good at football.

He was no Eno but he seemed at least like a slashy P5 type. Oops.

51 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This is just flat wrong. Everhart has elite speed and vision. His ability to catch the ball out of the backfield was questioned because he just hadnt been used that way. Clearly not a problem for him. Teams completely sell out to stop him and he's excellent at selling that he's getting the ball, leaving others players completely open. Guy has legit football iq and it will only get better. His coaches felt bad he wasnt getting more carries in their scheme, so they let him play defense. First play of the game against lubbock high this year he had a clean pick 6 for a td. 

The knock on him is he's inbetween a running back and a receiver, so pretty much the opposite of measurables outside of speed. He's a gadget player. If anything, his football acumen is part of what makes him so incredibly dangerous for a defense. Oh btw, much like speedster Keilan Robinson, hes a fantastic special teams player. Banks would do great things with him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Good point. Seems he can sling it over the middle okay, more than Applewhite or Case anyway, but maybe he's throwing it as hard as he can and retains accuracy.

Just now, tokamak said:

Everhart's offer list on 247 is weird. He's got the ND offer, but then it's just a bunch of middle-tier programs. His video looks good, and obviously the track times are legit.

It really is the triple option system he plays in. He has 23 carries through 6 games. Granted he averages 20 yards a carry. They've been blowing teams out. The second defenses stop double teaming him he burns them for a run to the house. It's why Tascosa has been making deep playoff runs. No one enjoys preparing for a triple option team, and when they do they know they dont have a choice but to focus on Everhart. It lets the offense just grind teams down for consistent yards, and then Everhart breaks them. Fun to watch and they punch way above their weight. 

Everhart, Thompson, Worthy, and Stewart would give Sark the ability to completely spread teams out. Would make having backs like Bijan and K Robinson just unfair. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Holy fuck, that is a hell of a tumble going from Austin and UT to Kingsville and TAMUK.

Kingsville is such a dump.  My granddad grew up there and a decade or so ago, my Mom asked me to go with her to do some family research.  Possibly the most depressing place I have ever spend more than an hour in.  1 out of 5 houses were abandoned and the only neighborhood that didn't feel like a decaying trash heap was the area around campus where the professors lived.  We tried go out to dinner that night and the best option was Chili's with a 2 hour wait cause it was date night and I've never seen so many fat thighs exploding out of mini skirts with cowboy boots as an accessory as I did that night.  Blech, never again.

48 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

Kingsville is such a dump.  My granddad grew up there and a decade or so ago, my Mom asked me to go with her to do some family research.  Possibly the most depressing place I have ever spend more than an hour in.  1 out of 5 houses were abandoned and the only neighborhood that didn't feel like a decaying trash heap was the area around campus where the professors lived.  We tried go out to dinner that night and the best option was Chili's with a 2 hour wait cause it was date night and I've never seen so many fat thighs exploding out of mini skirts with cowboy boots as an accessory as I did that night.  Blech, never again.

It's a sad situation there for sure.  Growing up in Corpus in the 60's, it wasn't, and in 1969, DKR and Gil Steinke ruled the college football world winning national titles.  Very unfortunate for Carter to have landed there as that program hasn't been significant in a long time.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/5/2021 at 1:04 PM, Vertigo said:

I don't see a scenario where we get blown out this week unless the offense just implodes on itself and Casey chokes. Sark is going to cook up some shit this week in the gameplan, this will be the week that we break just about every tendency and lean on scheme. Even in a loss, I would expect it to be a close game. 

I sort of expect some plays for Card. With our run game established, it might be a little easier for him now. He sure looked great in the first game.

I don't favor one QB over the other. Whoever is performing, keep him in. I guess I'm actually a little emotionally attached to Johnson* because I like his story and how the team presents when he is in.

ScipioPaul's offensive post mortem of TCU is worrisome.

I have no idea what will happen Saturday.

*I'm not venturing another wrong guess.

Edited by RomaVicta

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I sort of expect some plays for Card. With our run game established, it might be a little easier for him now. He sure looked great in the first game.

I don't favor one QB over the other. Whoever is performing, keep him in. I guess I'm actually a little emotionally attached to Johnson because I like his story and how the team presents when he is in.

ScipioPaul's offensive post mortem of TCU is worrisome.

I have no idea what will happen Saturday.

I’m sorry, are you referencing a QB here? One that’s on Texas’s roster? Otherwise…

Im emotionally attached to my Johnson too. Most folks here probably feel similarly. 

• Haha 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting