Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

IDK what to think of cutty Sark but I have a pile of cash on over 7.5 wins.  Didn't you say in a post yesterday that you thought 10-3 was our floor?

No. I don’t even know where a discussion like that was being had. I said before the season that the schedule was weak enough and there was enough talent for us to expect a 10 win season with a 13 or 14 game schedule. I think I reiterated that that should be expected earlier this week. Otherwise, the guy is Seven Win Steve, which it looks like he is at this point. 

Name your price and I will meet you on the other side of the bet below 7.5. I assume this is regular season? 4 out of the next 5 is pretty fucking comical from my perspective. We’re witnessing more inevitable shit after hiring a proven loser. Over the last 11+ years, I feel like I’ve gotten aware enough to be able to spot the same pattern once it starts unfolding. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TenCarryTom said:

Is there any recruiting news here or is everyone just being a big pussy?

I’m glad you have convinced yourself that not being able to see things for what they are is some sort of sign of your immense manhood. But the rest of us pussies have realized what is actually happening and it’s not pretty and this is going to directly translate to recruiting. 

10 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

To keep it recruiting related, here is a list of the top OL. The vast majority are already committed except for a few elite prospects that we have not shot with. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&PositionGroup=O-LINE

Note that we have 2 of the 50 at a position of urgent need.  OU has 3 and they're just "reloading" (not that I'm going to contend that they are wondrous, but havent been the shit show we have for 10+ years).  Wisconsin has 3.  Pig and ND have 2.

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Note that we have 2 of the 50 at a position of urgent need.  OU has 3 and they're just "reloading" (not that I'm going to contend that they are wondrous, but havent been the shit show we have for 10+ years).  Wisconsin has 3.  Pig and ND have 2.

Our only one is Cole Hutson

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No. I don’t even know where a discussion like that was being had. I said before the season that the schedule was weak enough and there was enough talent for us to expect a 10 win season with a 13 or 14 game schedule. I think I reiterated that that should be expected earlier this week. Otherwise, the guy is Seven Win Steve, which it looks like he is at this point. 

Name your price and I will meet you on the other side of the bet below 7.5. I assume this is regular season? 4 out of the next 5 is pretty fucking comical from my perspective. We’re witnessing more inevitable shit after hiring a proven loser. Over the last 11+ years, I feel like I’ve gotten aware enough to be able to spot the same pattern once it starts unfolding. 

Oh no the bet is already locked in.    Not asking to bet with you.  It looked like a lock in the first quarter of the ou game and now, here we are.  

8 hours ago, 6th Street said:

To keep it recruiting related, here is a list of the top OL. The vast majority are already committed except for a few elite prospects that we have not shot with. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&PositionGroup=O-LINE

We could’ve had Jacob Sexton, but we told him we had bigger fish to fry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

CTJ has it right. This team was never going to be the "SHOW ME A LOSS" world beater surly always expects, but 9-10 wins was definitely achievable with this roster and schedule. Texas will fall multiple games short of that at this point, with only two or three opponents being ranked in the final CFP/AP polls. I was able to talk myself into some optimism headed into the year, but it turns out a 46-35 record in 6.5 years as a power 5 HC - and not Vanderbilt or Baylor or whatever, but a school with some football pedigree in Washington and a top 5 job in USC - is a pretty good sample size. Obviously Sark's not going anywhere for the next couple of years but at this point there is no reason to expect things to get any better. When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

• Fuck You 1

I turned the game off before the final interception.  Spent the rest of the day with my family.  Cooked some steaks, drank a bottle of wine, fucked my wife on the living room floor after the kids went to bed, smoked a Dunhill, and finished the night with a dram of Ardbeg.

Life is too short to watch these chucklefucks doing their best to torpedo our recruiting efforts on the biggest recruiting weekend of the year and have it ruin the rest of my day.

I am interested in eventually finding out the degree of the fallout from this nuclear meltdown.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I said before the season that the schedule was weak enough and there was enough talent for us to expect a 10 win season with a 13 or 14 game schedule. I think I reiterated that that should be expected earlier this week. Otherwise, the guy is Seven Win Steve, which it looks like he is at this point. 

Name your price and I will meet you on the other side of the bet below 7.5. I assume this is regular season? 4 out of the next 5 is pretty fucking comical from my perspective.

Well as someone who prognosticated 10 wins based on this talent, maybe you should be less confident in your perspective.

What even is "talent"? A potential proficiency? How much of it is physical? What is the actual difference between a low 4-star and high 3-star in "talent"?

Also, what is this "schedule was weak enough" shit? Where we are right now we have played the toughest schedule in the conference with OU 5 places behind us and KSU 9 places behind them.

I'm not even saying you should be better at predicting and prognosticating, but your certainty is unearned.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I agree that the schedule isn't as weak as we thought coming into the season, and the talent on the team isn't as good either. Losing Cosmi turned the OL into a disaster. Losing Ossai made the entire defense take a step back. Even losing Ta'quon Graham has our run defense taking several steps back. There was no one on the 2 deep to fill those talents. I myself overrated the talent this team had coming into the season and undervalued the affect losing the aforementioned names would have. This team desperately needs and infusion of talent, and certainly hope the staff are recruiting for the transfer portal through backdoor channels at this point. Recruiting/evaluations/development has been piss poor with this current group. Very few bright spots, but they aren't bright enough to cover up for their entire units like Cosmi and Ossai did. 

• Like 1

Just now, SarkAfterDark said:

I agree that the schedule isn't as weak as we thought coming into the season, and the talent on the team isn't as good either. Losing Cosmi turned the OL into a disaster. Losing Ossai made the entire defense take a step back. Even losing Ta'quon Graham has our run defense taking several steps back. There was no one on the 2 deep to fill those talents. I myself overrated the talent this team had coming into the season and undervalued the affect losing the aforementioned names would have. This team desperately needs and infusion of talent, and certainly hope the staff are recruiting for the transfer portal through backdoor channels at this point. Recruiting/evaluations/development has been piss poor with this current group. Very few bright spots, but they aren't bright enough to cover up for their entire units like Cosmi and Ossai did. 

Right now on paper, I know, the DL has been addressed in the '22 class. Not to sure about the secondary, we have Allen at Safety but feels like a mix of hybrid DBs with the rest of our takes (CB/S).

After sleeping on it I don’t really feel any more optimistic today than I did yesterday. I actually felt better after the OU loss because I thought the offense would be a given going forward and we just needed to fix OL and the defense. But after yesterday the offense is just as much a work in progress as the defense and pissing away two games they had in hand feels worse than the Arky game. I was not a fan of the Sark hire but I’ve been trying to be optimistic and I was coming around until the last two weeks. Maybe he’s not capable of handling the offense and being the head coach. He doesn’t seem that engaged with the overall game and especially challenging the refs on shitty calls and possibly that’s because he’s totally involved in the offense. And the play calling is a downward trend every week from beginning of the game to the end. And he seems to have some phobia about handing the ball to Bijan two plays in a row. On second and two stop trying to out think yourself and just give the ball to Bijan two more times and get the first down. Wtf. I’m rambling I know.

On the one hand we still have a coach who has not been a head coach for years and has to relearn managing the game, is only 7 games in and has 0 recruiting classes signed. That’s the excuse side. On the other hand, we have a team that shows no toughness, no ability to adapt or make the changes in second half to win. That’s on the coach. If that’s who he is then we are screwed. But we really have no choice but to wait it out. We know the roster deficiencies. We talk about them constantly. Lots of coaches start out around .500 their first year. The list has been posted on here. If there is any place where a coach can out recruit their coaching ability, it is Texas. Really good players can make up for some average coaching. LSU is an example or hell Mack may even be an example. I don’t think Sark is bad but I don’t think he’s one to make shoe leather into filet mignon. I just hope he can recruit, or NIL can pay, our way above his coaching abilities. 

I know TL;DR…It’s piss

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Losing Cosmi turned the OL into a disaster.

The line was perfectly fine at the end of last season, and we returned every one of those players who were starting. 

Starting OL in the bowl game: Karic-Angilou-Majors-Tyler Fucking Johnson-Jones.

Edited by Red Five
  • Hook 'Em 1

We're losing to ranked teams with a glaring deficiency at OL, WR, and maybe QB on O.

You guys talked shit about baby hands, weak-minded Card. Then you talked shit about lazy, turnover-prone Casey. To score like we've done in general is pretty amazing and a sign of the future. Consider how things would look if X hadn't broken out as a true freshman.

On D, we have a bunch of transfers getting run here because they weren't good enough to get significant PT in 3-4 years at their last spots. Richardson from New Mexico might be serviceable down the line, but he was a long-term play. DMo is undisciplined, but was probably our best LB, and now even he's hurt. We have no safeties either.

Oklahoma state may have some JAGs who possibly wouldn't have played here out of HS, but they have been under the same coaching staff there for ages. They're pretty good defensively.

I expect to lose to Baylor at this point, because they're pretty good and have a solid defense. Iowa St. is a toss up. WVU would be a painful loss, but we'll probably be in full eval mode by then.

Maalik Murphy can't be the only QB we take this cycle.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The line was perfectly fine at the end of last season, and we returned every one of those players who were starting. 

They weren't and it's a little different going against a bad K-State and Colorado team. I'm still shocked this team beat TCU in Fort Worth, and really should have blown them out.

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The line was not perfectly find at the end of last season. If that is what you thought you saw when you watched then you have no idea what you are watching.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

After sleeping on it I don’t really feel any more optimistic today than I did yesterday. I actually felt better after the OU loss because I thought the offense would be a given going forward and we just needed to fix OL and the defense. But after yesterday the offense is just as much a work in progress as the defense and pissing away two games they had in hand feels worse than the Arky game. I was not a fan of the Sark hire but I’ve been trying to be optimistic and I was coming around until the last two weeks. Maybe he’s not capable of handling the offense and being the head coach. He doesn’t seem that engaged with the overall game and especially challenging the refs on shitty calls and possibly that’s because he’s totally involved in the offense. And the play calling is a downward trend every week from beginning of the game to the end. And he seems to have some phobia about handing the ball to Bijan two plays in a row. On second and two stop trying to out think yourself and just give the ball to Bijan two more times and get the first down. Wtf. I’m rambling I know.

On the one hand we still have a coach who has not been a head coach for years and has to relearn managing the game, is only 7 games in and has 0 recruiting classes signed. That’s the excuse side. On the other hand, we have a team that shows no toughness, no ability to adapt or make the changes in second half to win. That’s on the coach. If that’s who he is then we are screwed. But we really have no choice but to wait it out. We know the roster deficiencies. We talk about them constantly. Lots of coaches start out around .500 their first year. The list has been posted on here. If there is any place where a coach can out recruit their coaching ability, it is Texas. Really good players can make up for some average coaching. LSU is an example or hell Mack may even be an example. I don’t think Sark is bad but I don’t think he’s one to make shoe leather into filet mignon. I just hope he can recruit, or NIL can pay, our way above his coaching abilities. 

I know TL;DR…It’s piss

greg yell GIF by BIG EAST Conference

Jack Black Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

The line was not perfectly find at the end of last season. If that is what you thought you saw when you watched then you have no idea what you are watching.

I'm admittedly going by memory here but in the last two games of the season we combined for about 130 points and 1300 total yards. I haven't rewatched those games but I remember thinking the line looked the best it had in a long time. And if we did that with the OL playing like shit then we should hire Herman as a consultant. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Here's what I'm talking about regarding first year coaches. This is the pitch/excuse, and tbh there's some legitimacy to it. First year records below:

Saban: LSU, 7-4. Bama, 6-6

Kirby: 7-5

Dabo: 8-4 (was previously on staff too). 6-6 in year 2.

Jimbo (Aggy): 8-4 

Fickell: 4-8

Franklin: 6-6

I don't know how those coaches lost those games, but I'm sure there was some ugliness. This is a pretty universal issue, not just some one-off cherry-picking (although I generally excluded coaches who were promoted from coordinator because there's so much staff/scheme continuity in that situation. Not a fair comparison). If we finish 8-4 or even 7-5, it honestly shouldn't be such a disastrous result. Especially being 95th in the country in returning production this year. If we're the same next year, it starts to get more worrisome.

Charlie Strong: Texas 6-7

Tom Herman:    Texas 7-6

Just now, Red Five said:

I'm admittedly going by memory here but in the last two games of the season we combined for about 130 points and 1300 total yards. I haven't rewatched those games but I remember thinking the line looked the best it had in a long time. And if we did that with the OL playing like shit then we should hire Herman as a consultant. 

You should really take in for context how bad KSU was with injuries/covid scratches for that game..  And for the colorado game, Casey coming in and throwing the way he did really opened up for Bijan that day as well. Colorado wasn't that good.  If we played them next week this current like probably looks pretty decent again

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The OL looked pretty good against Tech this year as well, and in those two games you mentioned the talent they went against was worst than what Tech had to offer. It's not that they looked like shit, its about considering the context.

12 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

The OL looked pretty good against Tech this year as well, and in those two games you mentioned the talent they went against was worst than what Tech had to offer. It's not that they looked like shit, its about considering the context.

Tech, sadly for them, didn't even try to do any of the things this line struggles with.  Their defensive gameplan was laughable and they got blown out accordingly

11 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Tech, sadly for them, didn't even try to do any of the things this line struggles with.  Their defensive gameplan was laughable and they got blown out accordingly

You're saying coaching matters?

Who would have thunk it?

26 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

You should really take in for context how bad KSU was with injuries/covid scratches for that game..  And for the colorado game, Casey coming in and throwing the way he did really opened up for Bijan that day as well. Colorado wasn't that good.  If we played them next week this current like probably looks pretty decent again

You are correct. Those two teams had really bad defenses so to compare them to two top ten undefeated teams this year is just stupid and lazy.  I wish we had half as much NIL activity going on around here as the amount of bleeding vaginas.   Sark’s first year and he has lost to two really good teams and that Arky game was tough early season road environment.   There is clear evidence of good things to come ie the TCU win in Ft Worth.  This next game against Baylor will be a real test for this team and I’m interested to see how they respond.  I haven’t seen anything that tells me we are fucked with Sark ie a loss to a shitty team.  I’m looking at you KU.   None of this shit matters if Sark can get Arch so if it’s inevitable just lie back and enjoy it.  This season will be very unfulfilling if you wanted immediate results so maybe some of you should check back next season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

How can people blame talent when we take a decent to big lead in the first half against OU and OSU only to melt down in the second half? It's on coaching and conditioning. It's the mental aspect that's clearly lacking. It's been the issue for as long as I have watched this team and not a single coach has been able to figure it out.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

How can people blame talent when we take a decent to big lead in the first half against OU and OSU only to melt down in the second half? It's on coaching and conditioning. It's the mental aspect that's clearly lacking. It's been the issue for as long as I have watched this team and not a single coach has been able to figure it out.

Sark and company have to scheme around our deficiencies. Once the opponent appropriately adjust we have nothing left to offer. Only so much you can do with this OL and limited QB.

• Hook 'Em 6

15 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Because if you watch the tape, the coach isn't getting his ass whipped in the trenches in the second half of those games. The lines are. 

Edited by Longhornlove

We have cultivated a loser culture for so long that even if you bring in elite talent at certain positions, instead of them elevating the team's performance, they revert back to the team's culture. That's why the 5 stars we have brought in haven't been able to make a difference. Everyone remembers how Caden and BJ played in their first year. They seemed like world beaters who were going to make our DB group the best in the country. But after they spent a year or two in the program, both of them regressed big time. Foster now is lazy, slow and not even a shell of what he was as a freshman. You can't tell me it's not a culture issue. We have not made our elite talents better after they set foot on campus save for a few outliers. It's almost like we need to start from scratch or get a coach (like Saban) who commands discipline, mental fortitude, and 100% effort on every play.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Sark and company have to scheme around our deficiencies. Once the opponent appropriately adjust we have nothing left to offer. Only so much you can do with this OL and limited QB.

This is the correct answer.  If it weren’t for Sark we would have never led in the last two games so I guess that would be better for some fans to deal with.  Don’t get me wrong I’m not happy and my wife thinks I’m having a stroke watching this shit but it is what it is.  Our talent is awful.  Our best receiver is a true freshman from the portal. Oline is horrible and Brock is our starting LB.   Not picking on Brock because he a great team player but he should never start for Texas.  Sark can only do so much with what he has and most of that was here before he got here.  If you need evidence of what Sark will bring in just look at X.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting