Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

You made the comparison to Norman or BCS.  Norman in which a running back broke the jaw of a woman and made a blip.  BCS where an old white dude asked the black QB if he was a blackie or an aggie. It barely made a tweet.  Or Austin where cry baby fucks whine about a song and March with dildos and it makes National news.  Austin doesn’t need to be a culture of woman beating racists.  But the purple haired everything offends me shit that has permeated is what people say when they say oAustin is soft. 

Yeah the veiled CR is just personal bias on your part.  Austin has tons of things to do, and things that young people want to do for fun.  Texas PR and coaches in the past regime spent a hell of a lot of time and effort selling Austin as an adventurous fun-loving city, rather than anything at all to do with football.  Cue Carrington tweet and his celebrity attire on the sidelines.  What type of guy do you think responded to the pitch?  Austin didn't corrupt anyone, we've been recruiting guys to come here and have fun 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Yeah the veiled CR is just personal bias on your part.  Austin has tons of things to do, and things that young people want to do for fun.  Texas PR and coaches in the past regime spent a hell of a lot of time and effort selling Austin as an adventurous fun-loving city, rather than anything at all to do with football.  Cue Carrington tweet and his celebrity attire on the sidelines.  What type of guy do you think responded to the pitch?  Austin didn't corrupt anyone, we've been recruiting guys to come here and have fun 

Call it as you wish. The national consensus is our players are soft. How many schools hVe these well accomplished high rated classes come in shit themselves and become worse than the year prior. There isn’t a 1 or 2 outlier here and there. It’s systemic year and in year our at Texas for the last decade. It has nothing to do with all the neat fun things in Austin away from the campus. It has to do with the culture within the school and around it.  It’s not personal bias it’s exactly what everyone literally says about Austin in the media and football circles.  Again 2019 number 3 ranked class you wanna tell me that class just so happens to have 25 busts?  Lol. Maybe your personal bias’s don’t like the reality of what it has become, but it is what it is. Come here have fun and forget how to play basic football or give a shit about beating your opponent 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Call it as you wish. The national consensus is our players are soft. How many schools hVe these well accomplished high rated classes come in shit themselves and become worse than the year prior. There isn’t a 1 or 2 outlier here and there. It’s systemic year and in year our at Texas for the last decade. It has nothing to do with all the neat fun things in Austin away from the campus. It has to do with the culture within the school and around it.  It’s not personal bias it’s exactly what everyone literally says about Austin in the media and football circles.  Again 2019 number 3 ranked class you wanna tell me that class just so happens to have 25 busts?  Lol. Maybe your personal bias’s don’t like the reality of what it has become, but it is what it is. Come here have fun and forget how to play basic football or give a shit about beating your opponent 

So because the class was too heavy because of 3 WRs two of which are no longer here and one often injured you think that makes up the class? Who are the key contributors at OL, DL, EDGE, linebacker, and safety in that class? Paper doesn’t tell the story of a class composition. 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So because the class was too heavy because of 3 WRs two of which are no longer here and one often injured you think that makes up the class? Who are the key contributors at OL, DL, EDGE, linebacker, and safety in that class? Paper doesn’t tell the story of a class composition. 

My apologies. This isn’t just one class.  This is going back a decade. I only brought it up because it’s the current Twitter world highlight.  I mean if I’m wrong and Texas doesn’t have a soft culture issue and this is just a small blip then I’m wrong 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

We seem to be agreeing on many points.  There's no reason why a coaching staff at Texas can't evaluate for love of the game and resiliency on top of whether they also run track or not.  Herman's recruiting office pushed life after football and JMBLYA concerts harder than any serious football school has any business doing.  National consensus about the team being soft now is a really fucking obvious consequence of self selecting for anything other than excellence in football.  Yes the AD probably looves taking a few kids from St Louis and Louisiana every year that they can turn into feel good stories like a benevolent charitable social worker, whose parents will tweet out to the ether about how their kids were saved by the University.  Our rivals are selling SEC and NFL, it makes little surprise the filtering for softness occurs before the guys even get on campus.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

We seem to be agreeing on many points.  There's no reason why a coaching staff at Texas can't evaluate for love of the game and resiliency on top of whether they also run track or not.  Herman's recruiting office pushed life after football and JMBLYA concerts harder than any serious football school has any business doing.  National consensus about the team being soft now is a really fucking obvious consequence of self selecting for anything other than excellence in football.  Yes the AD probably looves taking a few kids from St Louis and Louisiana every year that they can turn into feel good stories like a benevolent charitable social worker, whose parents will tweet out to the ether about how their kids were saved by the University.  Our rivals are selling SEC and NFL, it makes little surprise the filtering for softness occurs before the guys even get on campus.  

Couldn’t agree more. You nailed it friend 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

That's been the consensus on Texas players for 20 years. 

• Like 1

Texas WR's combined caught 5 passes for 60 yards last game. U don't come back from that 

Well that’s just a ridiculous take.

Aggy:
~128 ypg and 7 TDs from the top 4 receivers
~ 88 ypg and 6 TDs from their top 2

Texas:
~182 ypg and 14 TDS from the top 4
~ 135 ypg and 11 TDs from the top 2

Any recruit looking at a single game is just dumb. Also, on my phone so it’s not easy to do a comparison to your comment, but considering Aggy’s leading receiver is a TE and their RBs basically have the same stats as their #3 and 4 WRs, I’d bet they’ve got games that are comparable to “5 passes for 60 yards.”
  • Hook 'Em 1

I feel like sarks recruits generally are not soft. You look at Xavier and he's one of the most mentally resilient guys on the roster, you look at some of the talent that is being heavily eyeballed and they seem to have a bit of a mean streak/resilience about them. There is some passion in the '22 class on the twitters and I hope after NSD that it really starts rolling. 

It's not a secret that the coaches are saying best player plays regardless of freshman or not, that is going to bring a different mentality in - eventually it will be "next man up" the same way it is at Oklahoma, Alabama, OSU, Clemson, etc. Right now Texas is in no position for "next man up" because our 2 deep is meh and our 1 deep has some...issues.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

I feel like sarks recruits generally are not soft. You look at Xavier and he's one of the most mentally resilient guys on the roster, you look at some of the talent that is being heavily eyeballed and they seem to have a bit of a mean streak/resilience about them. There is some passion in the '22 class on the twitters and I hope after NSD that it really starts rolling. 

It's not a secret that the coaches are saying best player plays regardless of freshman or not, that is going to bring a different mentality in - eventually it will be "next man up" the same way it is at Oklahoma, Alabama, OSU, Clemson, etc. Right now Texas is in no position for "next man up" because our 2 deep is meh and our 1 deep has some...issues.

Bo Davis appears to have some dogs coming in to help the DL. I imagine a group of big mean ass dudes can help change a culture quickly. Worthy, Bijan, and rojo can only do so much. OL and DL need to be the knee breakers so to speak. Nobody was going to talk back to Sendlein back in the day. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

You made the comparison to Norman or BCS.  Norman in which a running back broke the jaw of a woman and made a blip.  BCS where an old white dude asked the black QB if he was a blackie or an aggie. It barely made a tweet.  Or Austin where cry baby fucks whine about a song and March with dildos and it makes National news.  Austin doesn’t need to be a culture of woman beating racists.  But the purple haired everything offends me shit that has permeated is what people say when they say oAustin is soft. 

1 hour ago, squeegeedegg said:

Why not both? /gif

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don't think it should be a surprise to anyone that Gadget Tom with his kisses and grills and sledgehammers recruited a bunch of soft, entitled players and then tried to "toughen them up" with runny eggs and other stupid gimmicks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Where is this smoke about Bijan sitting out the rest of the season coming from? Basically some randos on Twitter as far as I can tell, but is anyone else hearing this?

It's a rando on twitter who gets 15 minutes of publicity every few weeks when he makes an outlandish statement that is not based on reality.  There's no truth to it.

3 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Where is this smoke about Bijan sitting out the rest of the season coming from? Basically some randos on Twitter as far as I can tell, but is anyone else hearing this?

Wasn't it started by Tim Shepherd, who is basically wrong about everything? 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Bo Davis appears to have some dogs coming in to help the DL. I imagine a group of big mean ass dudes can help change a culture quickly. Worthy, Bijan, and rojo can only do so much. OL and DL need to be the knee breakers so to speak. Nobody was going to talk back to Sendlein back in the day. 

Yes, but are they War Daddies?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It's a rando on twitter who gets 15 minutes of publicity every few weeks when he makes an outlandish statement that is not based on reality.  There's no truth to it.

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wasn't it started by Tim Shepherd, who is basically wrong about everything? 

That’s it. Thanks

39 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is just the same thing everyone said about Herman and Strong's recruits during the honeymoon period. "We're recruiting tough players now, not soft players like [insert previous coach here]." With Strong it was "no sunshine." With Herman it was something equally puerile.

The reality is no one here knows whether a given recruit will be 'soft' until they arrive on campus and go through practices.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I just can’t imagine someone of Bijan character taking this Avenue unless there is some unknown injury that threatens his health 

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I just can’t imagine someone of Bijan character taking this Avenue unless there is some unknown injury that threatens his health 

Can you dipshits stop giving some random imbecile, with no supporting track record meriting even a fucking mention of the subject matter here, any further power by discussing it in this thread? Take that kind of idiocy to the fucking Purgatory or Board Discussion boards and play with that stupidity out of the way from the rest of us. Jesus fucking Christ.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This is just the same thing everyone said about Herman and Strong's recruits during the honeymoon period. "We're recruiting tough players now, not soft players like [insert previous coach here]." With Strong it was "no sunshine." With Herman it was something equally puerile.

The reality is no one here knows whether a given recruit will be 'soft' until they arrive on campus and go through practices.

Strong recruited well...mostly on defense. I think there are 16 players in the NFL that committed to Strong. Not saying he is a good coach, but I wouldnt mind him working in the recruiting department doing evaluations. 

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’d be okay with Sherman doing evals for OL here

And that's exactly the type of stuff our program should be doing. We should pay someone like Sherman to be a recruiting consultant. We should have someone like Greg Robinson (again) watching everything our defense does and giving advice.

We have the money. We need to start paying for excellence. 

• Hook 'Em 5

22 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Say what you want about strongs recruits, they weren't a bunch of pussy ass bitches. They sucked and didn't want to be shitters, they weren't pussies and got into it quite a bit with the other teams. 

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Strong recruited well...mostly on defense. I think there are 16 players in the NFL that committed to Strong. Not saying he is a good coach, but I wouldnt mind him working in the recruiting department doing evaluations. 

^^^ bunch of mean mother fuckers in the NFL and people who weren't soft from Strong into the herman years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

And that's exactly the type of stuff our program should be doing. We should pay someone like Sherman to be a recruiting consultant. We should have someone like Greg Robinson (again) watching everything our defense does and giving advice.

We have the money. We need to start paying for excellence. 

hear me out now...

who says Flood can't evaluate yet?  Sherman nailed down the kids he wanted.  So as far as the coffee is for closers, I would think Sherman would be a huge upgrade at this time.. but I'll know for sure next month.

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

This isn't how culture works. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

So what about all the hippies and liberals in the 70's? Or in the 2000's? Was Austin soft then, too? Nothing has changed. Take your fucking politics somewhere else. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

This isn't how culture works. 

I'm not being antagonizing when I ask "how do you think culture works?" 

I actually think it is a recruiting board worthy thread discussion unto itself and I am betting there will be a lot of opinions.

To answer part of my own question, I can say that positive culture changes (changes that lead to statistically better outcomes in the measurables) in organizations that are sustainable only happen at the top. Doesn't have to only be the CEO/HC/President/Religious Figurehead of an org, but it has to be him/her and their immediate reports. An immediate report can be the key driver if the main person can handle them. 

Conversely, negative culture changes (changes that can be traced to preceding statistically worse outcomes in the measurables) in organizations can happen at any level, at any time. They're almost always sustainable until regime change. 

There are almost zero case studies or white papers tracking proof of the Hollywood narrative of positive and sustained grass roots level or middle manager level changes within an org. There are plenty of instances in which there can be positive changes in an org driven at any level, but they will not last if not adopted genuinely and then institutionalized throughout the org from the top down.

At Texas or any other CFB program, given the transient nature of players in CFB, no sustainable culture change will ever be created by a player or players. So you need a transformative HC, DC or OC and they need a long term vision for the org that they can execute on and get enough wins quickly to gain buy-in and that could be sustained for a decade+. That doesn't mean a few badasses can't drive a program to a few successful seasons in spite of weakness at the top, but those performances will be ephemeral in nature.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Strongs defensive recruits panned out. He killed it on that side. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I actually think it is a recruiting board worthy thread discussion unto itself and I am betting there will be a lot of opinions.

To answer part of my own question, I can say that positive culture changes (changes that lead to statistically better outcomes in the measurables) in organizations that are sustainable only happen at the top. Doesn't have to only be the CEO/HC/President/Religious Figurehead of an org, but it has to be him/her and their immediate reports. An immediate report can be the key driver if the main person can handle them. 

Conversely, negative culture changes (changes that can be traced to preceding statistically worse outcomes in the measurables) in organizations can happen at any level, at any time. They're almost always sustainable until regime change. 

There are almost zero case studies or white papers tracking proof of the Hollywood narrative of positive and sustained grass roots level or middle manager level changes within an org. There are plenty of instances in which there can be positive changes in an org driven at any level, but they will not last if not adopted genuinely and then institutionalized throughout the org from the top down.

At Texas or any other CFB program, given the transient nature of players in CFB, no sustainable culture change will ever be created by a player or players. So you need a transformative HC, DC or OC and they need a long term vision for the org that they can execute on and get enough wins quickly to gain buy-in and that could be sustained for a decade+. That doesn't mean a few badasses can't drive a program to a few successful seasons in spite of weakness at the top, but those performances will be ephemeral in nature.

I agree with a lot of this.  Culture is leadership driven with buy in by the rank and file IMO.  Those who don't buy in erode the overall impact of the culture you want...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So.. since we have failed so miserably .. on average.. in our HC evals related to culture, although I liked Strong's culture more than Herman's.. Can the AD drive this? Can CDC drive down culture, specifically in football. 

Meant to add, I agree with what you said 100% from a change org perspective

Edited by TexasBeta

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think the culture shift needs to happen above the coaching level and within the AD.  Too many dinosaurs collecting pay checks

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think the culture shift needs to happen above the coaching level and within the AD.  Too many dinosaurs collecting pay checks

This.. This is the umbrella under which all athletics marches towards. The overall vision of athletics at UT must be to field dominate teams in their sport, defined by a commitment to..... ? what ever buzz words they want. 

having played college football I can tell you that culture is ll about the guys in the lockerroom holding each other accountable. when you work hard and overcome adversity in the offseason, winning becomes the expectation and something that can be repeated over and over agin once you know what it takes and what it looks like. We fought each other often because the desire to win made us give everything in practice to the point tat the games were kinda easy

• Hook 'Em 7

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting