Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s a good pull in that others have tried and failed to get him to leave Clemson, but the same was said of chad Morris to arky a few years ago. 

Who said that about Morris to Arkansas? He was a head coach at SMU before Arky, so it's not like he was holding out in the coordinator ranks waiting for the perfect landing spot. He was clearly looking for any offer whatsoever from a P5. 

SIAP

Afternoon Delight: Texas recruiting getting interesting down the stretch

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike Roach

— Texas coaches have already begun in-home visits this week. Steve Sarkisian is mostly seeing committed guys this week. Brenen Thompson, Cole Hutson and Aaron Bryant have already hosted the head coach, and he will continue his mad dash on the road throughout the week. Since he only gets one visit, it's anticipated he will use most of them next week for uncommitted guys. Of note, Sark will see Allen offensive lineman Neto Umeozulu tonight as the Longhorns look to make a move in that recruitment. Texas assistants went in home with four-star quarterback Devin Brown last night and Sarkisian is expected to see him next weekend. The Longhorns are closing in on some big offensive line targets and want to fire their final shots with Sark close to the early signing period. I'd expect him to make a run at those big names next week. I think the Oklahoma situation helped Texas a bit with Kam Dewberry. The buzz behind the scenes was that the Sooners would be tough to beat for the four-star Atascocita OL. Now, this race likely comes down to Texas and Texas A&M and the Longhorns are pushing with all they have at the moment.

— I spoke to Loganville (GA.) Grayson defensive back Mumu Bin-Wahad today. Texas coaches will be in the Peach State to see him this week and meet with him. If everything checks out, he could be offered. The West Virginia commit would have a definite interest in Texas and has the versatility to play a couple of different roles in the secondary.

— Texas coaches will see four-star Lubbock-Cooper linebacker Kobie McKinzie on Friday when he plays against Wichita Falls Rider in the 5A-DII Region 1 final. I expect McKinzie to have an offer in hand by the time the staff sets foot on the ground in west Texas. In fact, I think an offer could come as soon as today. If offered, I believe Texas would be in the front runner position for the physical backer who can play inside or on the edge. Texas spent last night and early today doing their homework on McKinzie and it seems like everything checked out. Texas Tech is also involved, and I believe his decision process will move quickly with potential visits set up.

— As I reported earlier today, former five-star wide receiver Theo Wease is expected to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal on Wednesday. The former Allen wide receiver is looking at potential options and Austin could be on the docket for him. A source I spoke with at Texas believes there would be some interest if Wease was available and a source close to Wease said that he would be interested in talking to the Longhorns. I don't expect this to be the last high-profile transfer from the Sooners who have been decimated in the wake of Lincoln Riley's departure. Oklahoma leadership is scrambling to put a new coach in place, but other schools smell blood in the water and are trying to take advantage.

— As I wrote this morning, the Transfer Portal is exploding today. Several big names from around the country are back on the market and I've checked in with sources on a few of them. Georgia Tech running back Jahmyr Gibbs is a name that might generate some interest, but Texas has many holes to fill and running back isn't a pressing need at the moment. Of note, I don't believe there are many offensive linemen available yet. Alabama offensive lineman Pierce Quick is one of the names in the portal, and the former Alabama staffers at Texas know him well. That said, I don't believe they will choose to move on him and it sounds like Georgia Tech is one to watch there.

— Texas is gaining a ton of steam with four-star Federal Way (Wash.) Todd Beamer offensive tackle Malik Agbo. Sources last week felt Auburn held the edge, but a source close to Agbo feels that's no longer the case as of this week. Texas commits have been working hard on Agbo and he's been receptive so far. Kyle Flood will see Agbo Wednesday morning for an in-home visit and the anticipation is that Texas can close strong here. My confidence on Agbo is way up since last week. Agbo plans to carry his decision to signing day, but momentum is building for Texas in a way that wouldn't shock me if he chose to shut it down earlier. Talking to sources near the Texas class, there's a feeling right now that they are on the verge with a lot of guys on the board including several highly-ranked offensive linemen. It's easy for kids to get swept up in the excitement of something, so we will see if that holds.

— I spoke to a source near five-star wide receiver Evan Stewart today. The Frisco Liberty pass-catcher is taking a step back to evaluate his options. Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama are the main schools involved, but the source told me Evan is conflicted as of now. Sources in Austin still feel confident they can land the dynamic playmaker, but it wouldn't surprise me to see his decision go into January and maybe all the way to February. Stewart is taking courses to graduate early and would potentially like to enroll in January if possible. It also leaves him the option to not sign and just enroll at the school of his choice when the spring semester comes around.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Who said that about Morris to Arkansas? He was a head coach at SMU before Arky, so it's not like he was holding out in the coordinator ranks waiting for the perfect landing spot. He was clearly looking for any offer whatsoever from a P5. 

Or I’m completely full of shit. Could go either way, as ever. 

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

SIAP

Mike Roach

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Roach

— Texas coaches have already begun in-home visits this week. Steve Sarkisian is mostly seeing committed guys this week. Brenen Thompson, Cole Hutson and Aaron Bryant have already hosted the head coach, and he will continue his mad dash on the road throughout the week. Since he only gets one visit, it's anticipated he will use most of them next week for uncommitted guys. Of note, Sark will see Allen offensive lineman Neto Umeozulu tonight as the Longhorns look to make a move in that recruitment. Texas assistants went in home with four-star quarterback Devin Brown last night and Sarkisian is expected to see him next weekend. The Longhorns are closing in on some big offensive line targets and want to fire their final shots with Sark close to the early signing period. I'd expect him to make a run at those big names next week. I think the Oklahoma situation helped Texas a bit with Kam Dewberry. The buzz behind the scenes was that the Sooners would be tough to beat for the four-star Atascocita OL. Now, this race likely comes down to Texas and Texas A&M and the Longhorns are pushing with all they have at the moment.

— I spoke to Loganville (GA.) Grayson defensive back Mumu Bin-Wahad today. Texas coaches will be in the Peach State to see him this week and meet with him. If everything checks out, he could be offered. The West Virginia commit would have a definite interest in Texas and has the versatility to play a couple of different roles in the secondary.

— Texas coaches will see four-star Lubbock-Cooper linebacker Kobie McKinzie on Friday when he plays against Wichita Falls Rider in the 5A-DII Region 1 final. I expect McKinzie to have an offer in hand by the time the staff sets foot on the ground in west Texas. In fact, I think an offer could come as soon as today. If offered, I believe Texas would be in the front runner position for the physical backer who can play inside or on the edge. Texas spent last night and early today doing their homework on McKinzie and it seems like everything checked out. Texas Tech is also involved, and I believe his decision process will move quickly with potential visits set up.

— As I reported earlier today, former five-star wide receiver Theo Wease is expected to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal on Wednesday. The former Allen wide receiver is looking at potential options and Austin could be on the docket for him. A source I spoke with at Texas believes there would be some interest if Wease was available and a source close to Wease said that he would be interested in talking to the Longhorns. I don't expect this to be the last high-profile transfer from the Sooners who have been decimated in the wake of Lincoln Riley's departure. Oklahoma leadership is scrambling to put a new coach in place, but other schools smell blood in the water and are trying to take advantage.

— As I wrote this morning, the Transfer Portal is exploding today. Several big names from around the country are back on the market and I've checked in with sources on a few of them. Georgia Tech running back Jahmyr Gibbs is a name that might generate some interest, but Texas has many holes to fill and running back isn't a pressing need at the moment. Of note, I don't believe there are many offensive linemen available yet. Alabama offensive lineman Pierce Quick is one of the names in the portal, and the former Alabama staffers at Texas know him well. That said, I don't believe they will choose to move on him and it sounds like Georgia Tech is one to watch there.

— Texas is gaining a ton of steam with four-star Federal Way (Wash.) Todd Beamer offensive tackle Malik Agbo. Sources last week felt Auburn held the edge, but a source close to Agbo feels that's no longer the case as of this week. Texas commits have been working hard on Agbo and he's been receptive so far. Kyle Flood will see Agbo Wednesday morning for an in-home visit and the anticipation is that Texas can close strong here. My confidence on Agbo is way up since last week. Agbo plans to carry his decision to signing day, but momentum is building for Texas in a way that wouldn't shock me if he chose to shut it down earlier. Talking to sources near the Texas class, there's a feeling right now that they are on the verge with a lot of guys on the board including several highly-ranked offensive linemen. It's easy for kids to get swept up in the excitement of something, so we will see if that holds.

— I spoke to a source near five-star wide receiver Evan Stewart today. The Frisco Liberty pass-catcher is taking a step back to evaluate his options. Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama are the main schools involved, but the source told me Evan is conflicted as of now. Sources in Austin still feel confident they can land the dynamic playmaker, but it wouldn't surprise me to see his decision go into January and maybe all the way to February. Stewart is taking courses to graduate early and would potentially like to enroll in January if possible. It also leaves him the option to not sign and just enroll at the school of his choice when the spring semester comes around.

Thanks for this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

(Hudson Standish) Late night recruiting: Kobie McKinzie, Malik Agbo, Notes from Duncanville

I'm no recruiting expert, but I happened to jump on that Instagram Live when it popped up that Bijan was on. They rocketed to almost 800 viewers when he joined and they were all freaking out and counting the number of new followers that they had. So it looks like I wasn't the only one that checked to see what Bijan was doing. It was a great move by Finkley and showed off the brand and its attraction.

And it goes without saying that Bijan rocks.

• Hook 'Em 9

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

The more recruiting mainstays we can have affected the better.. add Clemson into the mix.

I may be wrong, but Clemson feels like it maybe at the end of its run. Looks like Devin Brown is going to be a really tough pull now. I might take that long drive to Westlake if I was Sark and check out that situation. 

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

a) Some of us also fucking hated the Sarkisian hire.

b) Some of us were right.

c) This isn't about us. This is about reveling in misfortune for OU. Get your shit together, sir.

Yup. If Texas hired Venables the reaction would be lukewarm at best with most thinking it was a bad hire. 

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Anyway to donate without revealing my actual self. I’ve seen surly find a dudes girlfriend, his exes, his fathers mistresses, their last 10 properties and the name and numbers of all his co workers. I don’t need that evil 

Don't sue Surly and you're ok.

• Haha 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting