Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Late afternoon, I think. One of the dorks will be along with specifics. 

6 minutes ago, nozatx said:

247sports says 4pm (technically it says "5pm" with "All times Eastern").  https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/ScheduledCommits/?RecruitState=TX

Talk about setting the stage…

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Genuinely find it funny that Orangebloods is apparently having an all day (?) live broadcast of NSD2 when nobody cares about this day anymore and the only recruit even tangentially connected to us doesn't announce until 4pm.

Anwar and Ketch just sit around drinking and being completely uninformed every other day of the year, so why not throw up a live feed of them doing it on NSD2? 

• Haha 2

Eric Nahlin: My personal ratings for the 2022 signees +1

Rankings are fun to discuss within a cycle, but ratings make it easier to compare and contrast players from different classes. Here I’ll just go on record with my own ratings for the players Texas has signed, plus one they have a good chance to sign. Keep in mind, I’ve often found players rated between 88-92 to be pretty similar. The 88’s will have more questions about them, but usually the baseline traits are in the same area code as the 92’s.

CB Terrance Brooks
On3 Consensus: 95.53
On3: 98

Brooks’ greatest value is if he becomes a lead corner, however he would still provide tremendous value at nickel or safety. For those reasons, he has a very high floor. I do question long speed. His mental eval is five-star.

EN: 96.50

S Bryan Allen Jr.
On3 😄 93.125
On3: 95

Texas will try him at field safety but I think his home will be at boundary. I had Allen as a top-five instate player when this class first started to become known, but I’m not quite that high on him now. Partially due to conversations with high school coaches, I’d still have him in the national top-100.

EN: 94

EDGE Justice Finkley
On3 😄 93.075
On3: 92

I love his floor and I also love how he compensates for lack of length with quickness, power, and motor. Another five-star mental eval with a high floor.

EN: 93.50

DL Jaray Bledsoe
On3 😄 92.90
On3: 96

Here you just add the ceiling (98) and floor (90) and divide by two.

CB Jaylon Guilbeau
On3 😄 92.550

Yet another mental eval All-Star. Long-time readers know, along with fit, I weight heavily for that. I would rate Guilbeau as a DB because of lack of long speed, however I think he could make for a dynamite nickel.

EN: 93.30

RB Jaydon Blue
On3 😄 91.92

Uh oh. The fit is there, especially as someone who can receive out of the back field. Not the greatest inside zone runner, unless the OL consistently creates predictable creases.

EN: 90

QB Maalik Murphy
On3 😄 91.30
On3: 88

Don’t like the floor, do like the attitude, maturity, and upside. Known for having a very strong arm, it’s his ability to change speeds that I like. He can throw with touch. He will have to speed everything up from head to toe, and that’s the biggest question mark to me.

DL Aaron Bryant
On3 😄 90.00
On3: 91

Huge floor, clear fit, good mental eval.

EN: 92

S Larry Turner-Gooden
On3 😄 89.425
On3: 87

He’s missed so much time he’s a crap shoot. I do like the upside he showed early in high school. I like his fit for his body type — boundary safety. I like that he’s an early enrollee so he can more quickly get into football shape. Talent has him in my 88-92 range.

EN: 89

IOL Cole Hutson
On3 😄 88.750

I might have to pull receipts from long ago, but I’ve always been a big fan of Hutson. Big kids who can move their feet and will work hard have little chance of busting. They may not become a star, but they’ll be quality depth and starter material more often than not. Obviously the O-line class is very talented and Hutson will have his work cut out for him, but that’s why he’s already on campus. If he can nail down pass pro he’ll start games at Texas, imo.

EN: 91

CB X’Avion Brice
On3 😄 88.375

He has good length and fluidity but I don’t see him sticking at corner. With good ball skills, he seems tailor-made for field safety.

Signed Letter of Intent

OT Kelvin Banks
On3 😄 97.225
On3: 99

I’m with The Network. I too have Banks as the best player in Texas. All the traits to be a franchise left tackle are there, and not just in college.

EN: 99

IOL Neto Umeozulu
On3 😄 94.425
On3: 97

I think he can play tackle which increases his value. I think he’s underrated in pass protection while being an obviously good run blocker.

EN: 97

WR Brenen Thompson
On3 😄 93.90
On3: 94.50

Love the mental evaluation. I love his combination of slot machine and vertical slot traits. He has return ability. He’ll have to adjust to the competition but pure speed has a way of helping that out. If he becomes a complete route runner, watch out. His twin turbo was really Xaiver Worthy this whole time, not Evan Stewart.

EN: 95

EDGE J’Mond Tapp
On3 😄 92.90

An easy evaluation in some regards and different in others. He has a very clean fit at Buck and I think he has high football character.

DL Kristopher Ross
On3 😄 92.025
On3: 96

Motor and athleticism is a great combination for 3-tech. I think he’ll maximize. Will take some time to add strength for the point of attack, but he’s going to get in the backfield and chase plays from behind relatively early on.

EN: 94.75

S Austin Jordan
On3 😄 91.100
On3: 93

I like that he’s rated as a safety, but truth be told his senior year was easily his best tape as a corner. He had tape at receiver that showed encouraging traits as well. They’ll try him at corner first, but if that doesn’t work out nickel or safety will come easy to him athletically.

EN: 92.75

OT Cameron Williams
On3 😄 90.675
On3: 95

People are all over the map on Williams, but his most recent football — in other words, his trend-line — is highly encouraging for his collegiate future. What’s going to happen when he’s in a college strength and conditioning program? My guess is the trend-line continues upward.

EDGE Derrick Brown
On3 😄 89.350
On3: 89

He has a long way to go physically before he can hold up on the edge. It might be worth trying him at linebacker. He’s an athlete for sure, but he’ll take more time than most before he’s ready to hold up on the line of scrimmage.

EDGE Ethan Burke
On3 😄 89.350
On3: 94

Huge ceiling and probably a high floor. Giving up lacrosse was a good sign for how serious he is about football. He’s probably wondering how Jim Harbaugh’s job interview is going. The former Michigan commit is probably even happier with his decision to stay home.

OT Malik Agbo
On3 😄 89.250

He reminds me of Caleb Benenoch from years gone by. Agbo, like Hutson, fits the ‘giant kid, can move feet’ template. Being a Washington he’s more of an unknown. The On3 position designation is telling — with his size and feet, along with Kyle Flood as his coach, he could be a tackle even though he has a guard body. That’s upside.

IOL Connor Robertson
On3 😄 88.550
On3: 91

Most college centers didn’t play center in high school. That brings a fair amount of projection into the conversation. Robertson has the quickness for it, and if it doesn’t work out for some reason, he could still play guard.

EN: 90.50

LB Trevell Johnson
On3 😄 88.500
On3: 88

Undersized and missed his senior year. He does have ’football player’ traits: leadership, can find the ball in traffic, instinctive, etc.

EN: 87

DL Zac Swanson
On3 😄 88.025
On3: 85

He’s tall, but not overly long. That would be a bigger issue if he plays EDGE, which is where he’ll probably start his career. His quickness off the ball is quality. His ceiling is at 3-tech but he can play Jack. Father played at Stanford and was known to be tough.

WR Savion Red
On3 😄 82.900
On3: 84

Red has about four routes to the field: receiver, running back, safety, or linebacker. I value that versatility. He’s also known to be highly competitive — perhaps too competitive at times. That will need to be harnessed properly. As a receiver, which is where he’ll start, he’s on the far end of the slot machine spectrum. The staff also wants to look at him at running back. Maybe Sark is a Deebo Samuel fan, though that’s only to compare usage, not Red’s overall ability. Red does have some of Samuel’s toughness, however.

EN: 88

Texas also signed kicker Will Stone and long snapper Lance St. Louis.

IOL Devon Campbell
On3 😄 97.80
On3: 97

Much was made of On3 having Campbell one whopping slot outside of being a five-star, but anyone who follows Gerry knows how much he values length/reach. I’m not as concerned by it, and if his reach is 33”, that’s solid for a guard. Normally I’d be biased against a guard, but Campbell is hyper-athletic to the point he could play defensive tackle with no problem.

EN: 97.50

On 2/1/2022 at 8:58 AM, closetojumping said:

Folks I am friends with think tomorrow is surprisingly low key for SD2. That said:

-Perkins to LSU

-Matthews to LSU or Florida - he's thrown a fit about ATM

-Campbell to Texas

-Stewart to ATM unless Cristobal comes up with something really big

-Citizen will sign LOIs with 3 different schools and they'll all think he's coming there until it's sorted... kidding mostly.

Ok any adjustments before we put this in stone and ridicule you for no good reason if it is false?

• Haha 1

Gerry Hamilton: Texas Longhorns Signing Day predictions and notes

The Texas Longhorns enter signing day with the No. 5 ranked class in the On3 Consensus team rankings. Steve Sarkisian and staff will not have a quiet day. That is because On3 Consensus 5-star Devon Campbell will announce between Texas and Oklahoma around 4pm CT. The Longhorns have led big since December 14.

Texas will finish No. 5 barring a Signing Day surprise

The Longhorns are very likely to finish with the No. 5 class barring a signing day surprise. Should Campbell join the class this afternoon as expected since December 14, the Longhorns won’t likely have enough to overtake Ohio State for the No. 4 spot. The Longhorns currently have 17 members of the On300 signed. Campbell would make it 18. The class already has eight players signed in the top 100 of the On300. Texas currently has one On3 Consensus 5-star signed in Kelvin Banks, and 20 On3 Consensus 4-stars. That number would improve to two On3 Consensus 5-stars with Campbell.

A trio of predictions

Texas is not going to win out for On3 Consensus 5-stars Jacoby Mathews or Harold Perkins. With that said, the Texas staff recruited through the whistle. That has been a consistent theme with the staff as they have gone after the best prospects available, and not wavered on that strategy. With that, final predictions for the trio left on the board.

Devon Campbell = #AllGasNoBrakes

Harold Perkins – LSU

Jacoby Mathews – LSU

Devon Campbell would finish a record haul on the OL

Should Campbell announce for Texas as IT has expected since December 14, the Longhorns would have a record haul on the offensive line. Kyle Flood will have signed four offensive line prospects inside the Top 100 in the On300. And five in the On300 all told.

Kelvin Banks, OT, Humble (Texas) Summer Creek
On300 ranking: No. 6 (5-star)

Devon Campbell, IOL, Arlington (Texas) Bowie
On300 ranking: No. 33

Neto Umeozulu, IOL/OT, Allen (Texas)
On300 ranking: No. 48

Cameron Williams, OT/IOL, Duncanville (Texas)
On300 ranking: No. 84

Connor Robertson, IOL, Austin (Texas) Westlake
On300 ranking: No. 266.

Add in the fact that IOL Cole Hutson and IOL/OT Malik Agbo are On3 Consensus 4-stars, and Texas will have signed the best offensive line class in the programs modern day history. IT will have more on that in the coming days after Campbell announces his decision.

And one 2023 note

Made stops at Hightower and Klein Forest on Tuesday. The word coming out of the Klein Forest is the Texas staff has done the best job recruiting 2023 EDGE Brad Spence to date. The staff has painted a clear picture of how the 6-foot-2.5, 225-pounder fits in the scheme. Spence is the son of former Oklahoma Sooners linebacker Armand Spence. He also has an uncle that played at Oklahoma. IT will have more on Spence following signing day.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Ok any adjustments before we put this in stone and ridicule you for no good reason if it is false?

Scoreboard so far:

Citizen announced Miami

Matthews looks highly likely to A&M based on CBs coming in

Haven't seen anything telling on Perkins

Campbell still looking good

The moral gymnastics required to distance himself from the fact that "someone" paid players to attend his school, but it wasn't him or the on-field coaches specifically...
Plausible deniability. The Godfather of current CFB knows exactly how it works, and makes sure his lackeys understand as well.

Genuinely find it funny that Orangebloods is apparently having an all day (?) live broadcast of NSD2 when nobody cares about this day anymore and the only recruit even tangentially connected to us doesn't announce until 4pm.
A jabba the Ketch video landed on my suggested watch list on YT yesterday, and he seriously said out loud they missed an opportunity to create fake drama with a few vague tweets. Thankfully Anwar had a look on his face that said "why did I bet my future on this fat fuck?' while nervously letting Ketch know that wouldnt be good. Are we truly the only school with 9.95'ers who actively undermine the program they cover?
  • Rage+1 2