Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

22 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

His On3 NIL Valuation is currently $65,000. The NIL valuation does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals an athlete has completed to date. It rather signifies an athlete’s value at a certain moment in time. 

Copied without comment

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

On3 notes on Harold Perkins

"From me, Texas is out. Texas A&M in-home last night was said to have not gone well."

Hide contents

Cypress (Texas) Cy Park five-star linebacker Harold Perkins is the biggest fish left in the 2022 recruiting pool, and three teams are doing all they can to land the recruit.

On3’s Gerry Hamilton reports that Perkins’ decision will likely come down to Florida and LSU with Texas A&M considered a “long shot” and fellow in-state school Texas out of the equation.

This comes less than 24 hours after Aggies head coach Jimbo Fisher and other members of the Texas A&M defensive staff made an in-home visit Wednesday to see Perkins.

Perkins committed to Texas A&M earlier this month at the Under Armour All-American Game. But he said his recruitment would not be over the announcement and it wasn’t.

Florida immediately jumped into the mix and hosted Perkins on an official visit last weekend. And as reported by Corey Bender and confirmed by Hamilton, Billy Napier and other members of the coaching staff are conducting an in-home visit today.

Perkins is also scheduled to visit LSU this weekend, and Hamilton says a big part of the visit will be meeting with new defensive coordinator Matt House. House, who is the linebackers coach for the Kansas City Chiefs and still coaching the team in the playoffs, is coming to help pitch Perkins on the school.

For whichever team lands Perkins, they are getting an impact player on and off the field.

He is the No. 7 overall recruit and No. 1 linebacker in the country, according to the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies.

His On3 NIL Valuation is currently $65,000. The NIL valuation does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals an athlete has completed to date. It rather signifies an athlete’s value at a certain moment in time. 

Setting up for another head to head win over Texas.

20 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Is he really trying to make the argument that our "media" wouldn't run the same story if it was detrimental to Texas?  Do you even Chip Brown bro?  Stories don't even have to be true for the Texas "media" to run them.  That is before assholes like Kirk Bohls votes for someone not named Vince Young for Heisman.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, deech said:

Is he really trying to make the argument that our "media" wouldn't run the same story if it was detrimental to Texas?  Do you even Chip Brown bro?  Stories don't even have to be true for the Texas "media" to run them.  That is before assholes like Kirk Bohls votes for someone not named Vince Young for Heisman.

IMG_7039.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, deech said:

I’m not really a big IT guy, but I’ll say they’re probably the only site that actually roots for Texas and that matters to me.  Guys like chip and ketch don’t care at best and probably hate Texas

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, deech said:

you think facts will convince an aggy? haha  haha haha ha ha ha ha

Do PWOs usually get one year as a PWO and then they either:

1) Earn a scholarship…

…or…

2) Drop down to ordinary Walk On status and can enjoy getting help being admitted into UT while being a tackling dummy or just play school full-time, because another 20 PWOs are coming in next year

Are there guys that stay PWOs for 2 to 4 years?

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

1) Earn a scholarship…

…or…

2) Drop down to ordinary Walk On status and can enjoy getting help being admitted into UT while being a tackling dummy or just play school full-time, because another 20 PWOs are coming in next year

PWO just means you get help getting in and are guaranteed a spot in the program. After that, you're a walk-on like any other, with an equal shot at making the gameday roster and getting on the field.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

PWO just means you get help getting in and are guaranteed a spot in the program. After that, you're a walk-on like any other, with an equal shot at making the gameday roster and getting on the field.

So, athletics' qualification instead of general student body qualification in return for being scout team?

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

PWOs can also train with the team all summer. 

Non-PWOs purportedly have to wait until fall camp begins. Also access to athletes’ dining hall is permitted for PWOs, but not for the others… and some other random perks like that.*

*My understanding from past message board reading. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Non-PWOs purportedly have to wait until fall camp begins. Also access to athletes’ dining hall is permitted for PWOs, but not for the others… and some other random perks like that.*

*My understanding from past message board reading. 🤷‍♂️

I just pulled it off of reading blurbs like this: https://usatodayhss.com/2018/ncsa-what-is-a-preferred-walk-on

But I wouldn't be surprised if there were additional perks.

• Hook 'Em 1

1) Earn a scholarship…
…or…
PWO means they are invited to walk on and the staff will give them priority over other walk-ons if roster numbers get tight and they have to move some to the basement with their red swingline staplers.
  • Like 1

*My understanding from past message board reading.
Each program can do things a little differently, but yeah.

I just pulled it off of reading blurbs like this: https://usatodayhss.com/2018/ncsa-what-is-a-preferred-walk-on
But I wouldn't be surprised if there were additional perks.
Now PWO specific, but the main reasons guys walk on are as follows..

1. They think they have the right stuff to make the 3 deep or even start, and as we've seen time and again, this isn't totally delusional

2. The thrill of just being around the program and some (not all) the perks that come with that..including running out of the tunnel wearing a Longhorns uniform for some home games.

3. Looks good on a resume..especially if combined with a non athlete typical major.

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I can't wait for the PWO NIL. No difference between that and the old Nebraska system.

Me too and I don’t understand why we’re not hearing about this kind of thing more.  

If I’m Saban I’m actually using my 85 scholarships on my worst 85 and letting the higher profile folks pay their way with NIL money.  

1 minute ago, LCHorn said:

Me too and I don’t understand why we’re not hearing about this kind of thing more.  

If I’m Saban I’m actually using my 85 scholarships on my worst 85 and letting the higher profile folks pay their way with NIL money.  

That's what they are doing at BYU. Every walk on is getting their school paid for.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

What makes you think the higher profile players want to spend their money on school?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ousux said:

Now PWO specific, but the main reasons guys walk on are as follows..

1. They think they have the right stuff to make the 3 deep or even start, and as we've seen time and again, this isn't totally delusional

2. The thrill of just being around the program and some (not all) the perks that come with that..including running out of the tunnel wearing a Longhorns uniform for some home games.

3. Looks good on a resume..especially if combined with a non athlete typical major.

Do the walk ons or scout team guys GPA count toward the average.  Could see a utility for getting some aerospace/chemical engineering/plan ii type walk ons.