Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

50 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Speaking of turning a blind eye lol. My wife and I were watching the women's college world series a few weeks back and Justin Fields sister plays for georgia haha. I read that Roach is surprised Hudson is visiting, said he thought that one was basically dead. sorry if that was already covered 

This wanting to stay in close to home talk all of a sudden makes me think sick relative or baby on the way…

OU was too far away, SMU is close to Garland, UT is 2hrs+ but still in state…. Makes me think there is a major unreported social dynamic here…

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Has anyone else found that Twitter has stopped displaying user follows with the most recent first? It used to just be "most relevant" first on mobile, but now it's on desktop as well. 

Gets rid of one of the best ways to check which recruits/transfers our staff is in on.

Yes, it happened last week sometime and I ended up down a rabbit hole looking through the api to see if they make the follow date endpoint available. They do not, and it doesn't appear to be a field in the user or tweet object so I think we're beholden to the whims of twitter. 

• Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

This wanting to stay in close to home talk all of a sudden makes me think sick relative or baby on the way…

OU was too far away, SMU is close to Garland, UT is 2hrs+ but still in state…. Makes me think there is a major unreported social dynamic here…

If OU is too far from Garland then that's gonna make UT a tough sell 

(Mike Roach) Texas hosting big group in June's final OV weekend

Spoiler

It’s another big visit weekend in Austin, and the word big should be taken literally.

Along with several skill prospects, the Longhorns will be hosting 2,837 pounds of trench talent that will likely test the bill at dinner in a way it hasn’t this summer. Who’s coming in this weekend? We have the full preview.

Official visitors

Three-star Van Nuys (Calif.) Birmingham ATH Arlis Boardingham

Boardingham is an intriguing tight end prospect with incredible size and athleticism to pair with it. Texas was able to make an early impact in his recruitment after offering. Boardingham is also considering Arizona State, and he will visit the Sun Devils in the fall after originally having scheduled a trip last week. Texas would like to come out of this trip as the far and away leader to land the west coast prospect and close the door on his recruitment.

Four-star Montgomery (AL.) Catholic Prep LB TJ Dudley

The Crimson Tide lead the 247Sports Crystal Ball for their in-state prospect, and Texas will take a shot at the sturdy defender this weekend. Oregon already received an official visit and Texas will get the second. Though Alabama will be tough to top for him, a visit gets Texas into the game. Blake Gideon has a good connection to the high school and anything can happen when you get a prospect on campus.

Three-star Lakeland (Fla.) DL Keahnist Thompson

Not much has been made of this recruitment, but Texas is in a strong position for the big-bodied defensive lineman from Florida. Central Florida grabbed the 247Sports Crystal Ball lead, but Texas could make a big play this weekend for him. Thompson is an athletic prospect who can play both ways, but Texas likes him as a versatile defensive lineman.

Four-star Trussville (AL.) Hewitt-Trussville DL Justice Finkley

Michigan grabbed a Crystal Ball lead for Finkley after his official visit and Alabama will be tough to top as well. Texas has been able to reach Finkley’s mother and create a good impression there, and they will be able to sell the academics Finkley is looking for. The big defender is the type of player every college is looking for up front to compete with the top teams in the country.

Four-star Jersey City (NJ.) St. Peters Prep DL KJ Miles

Miles is down to a Top 3 of Texas, Georgia Tech and Wisconsin and the Longhorns are getting the last visit of the group. Bo Davis and Kyle Flood lead the way in this recruitment as the Longhorns try to add another big and versatile body on the defensive line. With the Longhorns holding the final visit and a decision upcoming, Texas has the chance to close the deal.

Three-star Southaven (MS.) DL Aaron Bryant

Bryant is another big and versatile defensive lineman Texas is after, and the Longhorns are battling several southeastern colleges. Ole Miss currently holds the 247Sports Crystal Ball lead and Georgia is another school being talked about in this recruitment. We should have a better idea of where Texas stands coming out of this visit, and we’ll know if they are a real contender.

Three-star Duncanville OL Cameron Williams

Kyle Flood will host another offensive line prospect in Duncanville’s mammoth offensive tackle. Williams has been on official trips to Oregon, Miami, Oklahoma and Texas Tech. The Longhorns will have the last shot with a decision expected on July 1. The Longhorns were late getting into this race, but a strong visit could seal the deal for them as they get to leave the last impression.

Four-star Donaldsonville (LA.) Ascension Catholic EDGE J'Mond Tapp

Credit to Texas for getting Tapp on campus where they have a chance to make an impact on the Louisiana edge rusher. LSU is considered the favorite at this moment, but Texas will have the opportunity to turn the tide for him. Texas has a need for big bodies who can pressure the quarterback, and Tapp certainly fits that mold.

Four-star Port Arthur Memorial CB Jaylon Guilbeau

Guilbeau went to Austin on an unofficial visit during the early summer, but he’s also been on trips to TCU and Texas A&M. While there have been times the Texas commit has wavered, this weekend will give the Longhorns the chance to solidify things with their longest-tenured commit.

Four-star Denton Ryan safety Austin Jordan

Jordan is down to Texas, Oklahoma and Ohio State. The Sooners are currently the favorite for him, but Texas can change that this weekend. Former Denton Ryan star Billy Bowman hosted Jordan on his trip to Norman, and I’d expect Ja’Tavion Sanders to be involved with Jordan’s visit this week.

Four-star Bremond DL Jaray Bledsoe

This visit is somewhat tenuous as contacting Bledsoe for confirmation has been tough to do at times. One of the spring’s hottest prospects in the state of Texas, Bledsoe has been pretty quiet this summer. Bo Davis remains in contact with the high upside prospect as the Longhorns look to close another big body.

Four-star Beaumont West Brook S Bryce Anderson

This one has gone back and forth several times between official and unofficial, but as of now it seems Anderson will take an official visit. The trip should start once Beaumont Westbrook is finished playing in the state 7v7 tournament in College Station. While Texas might not get the full time of a traditional official visit, this is a vital visit as Texas gets the last shot to make an impression before he makes his final decision on July 4.

Four-star Tyler Legacy RB Jamarion Miller

If Texas gets Miller on campus this weekend, consider it a huge move in his recruitment. As Texas looks for another back in this class, they’ve got a chance to move up with the east Texas back. While it looked like the Longhorns would end up on the outside for Miller, getting him on campus should

Unofficial visitors

Five-star Arlington Bowie OL Devon Campbell

Campbell is planning to make it to Austin this weekend on an unofficial visit. While his trip was up in the air because of an issue finding a ride, he may join his head coach who was planning to be in Austin to meet with the coaching staff. This would be a big win as Campbell would come in a week after visiting Oklahoma with an official visit still to use in the fall.

Four-star Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco OL Earnest Greene

Greene has been in contact with Texas since Kyle Flood arrived and will be in town this weekend to see the program. Texas hopes to make an impression big enough to warrant a return trip on an official visit in the fall.

Along with several skill prospects, the Longhorns will be hosting 2,837 pounds of trench talent that will likely test the bill at dinner in a way it hasn’t this summer. Who’s coming in this weekend? We have the full preview.

While the grammar is a bit wonky, this is probably the most creative Roach's writing has ever been.

He doesn't seem to have a great grasp on which Bama offers are commitable, however.

3 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I think it’s a great excuse to bail on OU and now it’s do I stay close to Garland in SMU or still stay in Texas at UT (with the potential benefits UT could provide either through student childcare or family medical access).  

Something seems off, and the social issue makes the most sense. 

20 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Well apparently we have recruits that believe that Texas is racist while Bama is a paragon of racial harmony, so it wouldn't surprise me for them to be a little fuzzy on geography too.

16 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Well apparently we have recruits that believe that Texas is racist while Bama is a paragon of racial harmony, so it wouldn't surprise me for them to be a little fuzzy on geography too.

I wonder if the wife of our head coach could perhaps help diffuse some of the negative recruiting pertaining to racism rumors?

42 minutes ago, tokamak said:

John Mitchell and the first generation of African American football players at the University of Alabama remember it well. Mitchell was a child in Mobile when George Wallace made his notorious gubernatorial inauguration speech in January 1963 — he easily quoted the famous “Segregation now, segregation tomorrow and segregation forever” line — and when Wallace stood in the door of Foster Auditorium to block the entrance of the first two black students at Alabama, defying the National Guard and the orders of President John F. Kennedy.

“I can remember as a kid watching that on TV, because that was really big,” Mitchell, who turns 68 in October, told ESPN this summer.

54 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

In the hypothetical scenario that he’s having a kid, maybe he wants to ensure it doesn’t become an Oklahoma citizen.

Biggest regret in my life is that my son was born in Oklahoma. We couldn't avoid it because of Army policies. But, like Colt McCoy, we made sure we had Texas soil underneath the bed so he could still be born above Texas soil.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Biggest regret in my life is that my son was born in Oklahoma. We couldn't avoid it because of Army policies. But, like Colt McCoy, we made sure we had Texas soil underneath the bed so he could still be born above Texas soil.

My Nigga Denzel Washington GIF - MyNigga DenzelWashington TrainingDay -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

If Miller actually thought that, he probably wouldn’t be OVing. Just because some coach is selling it, doesn’t mean he’s buying it.

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

If Miller actually thought that, he probably wouldn’t be OVing. Just because some coach is selling it, doesn’t mean he’s buying it.

And to think it’s coming from a coach that if not for Herman’s terrible coaching hires wound still be at  Rutgers or some shit like that. Getting hired by Texas was like winning the lottery and then proceeds to talk shit. 

13 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

And to think it’s coming from a coach that if not for Herman’s terrible coaching hires wound still be at  Rutgers or some shit like that. Getting hired by Texas was like winning the lottery and then proceeds to talk shit. 

The Wire Code GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Something feels off here.

I think the "expert" consensus is that he's a silent commit to SMU as of right now. Maybe he's visiting Texas for fun, to keep his options open, or because someone around him is pro-Texas and wanted him to at least give it a shot. It would still be surprising if he signed with SMU.

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

Isn't it amazing?  UT is criticized for a song written 115 years ago that was never intended by its writer to be racist, meanwhile the GOVERNOR of Alabama made a speech 50 years ago in which he said "Segregation now. Segregation tomorrow. Segregation forever!"

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting