Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

19 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

So many people on this board have tried to rationalize why aggy has been landing recruits over Texas. "It's coaching", "look at our record", "Texas doesn't produce NFL talent". 

A few days after announcing this NIL deal Texas is going to land a 5 star OL over aggy simply by offsetting their bags. 

If Texas somehow lands Banks and Dewberry this should be obvious. I'm convinced recruiting is 90% about getting players/recruits paid and all the other stuff is secondary. 

I've reached the point where I don't even give a shit about "we need to hire X assistant because of recruiting." It doesn't make a difference. Get players paid and you will get recruits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Lot of buggy whip manufacturers out there getting mad about these new-fangled motorized automobiles 

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Careful. @closetojumping Going to come here and perform that monologue for the entire crowd.

Lean Forward – Never Lean Backward, “caught on your heels” – Thoughts on  the Next Disruption – First Friday Book Synopsis

One of the finest speeches in movie history and True to the capital T in life and capitalism. It's terribly overlooked because of the awesome and well-known Gordon Gekko "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good" speech from Wall Street that covers the same terrain around the same time of "Other People's Money" being released. 

• Hook 'Em 6

16 minutes ago, Scholz said:

No but Texas wasn't ever supposed to jump in the game

Right. We could have used LHN to our advantage, but those assholes bitched so loudly that we got blocked from doing it before we ever started. Now, they're whining again.

Advantages are only bad when the biggest dog uses them. The bitches are howling.

• Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

Right. We could have used LHN to our advantage, but those assholes bitched so loudly that we got blocked from doing it before we ever started. Now, they're whining again.

Advantages are only bad when the biggest dog uses them. The bitches are howling.

That was a mistake.  We should have told everyone to fuck off and if they tried to interfere with ESPN's right to broadcast whatever they wanted we would see their asses in court.

• Hook 'Em 8

That's pretty much it. People are upset Texas is now doing legally what 90% of the SEC schools have been doing illegally for years. 
It's why Liucci was so pissy yesterday about NIL. How dare Texas get players paid with NIL when SEC schools have been doing it for years with bagmen. 

Insert “well the world needs ditch diggers too” gif!!!

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think Banks holds off because Jimbo Fisher is attempting sleight of hand. I also think this hilariously validates our assumption and intel that ATM hasn't been doing a fucking thing on NIL, is disorganized regarding it, and wanted to keep things exactly as things were now that they had the bag game infrastructure installed. Whoopsy. 

In truth, if they can actually organize and if they can actually find deep enough pockets who are willing, they'll have a fine NIL program. No one gives a shit. The whole point of putting together an NIL program was that it will dwarf the dark market money, reduce dark market participation because incentives have changed, and players will get a larger share of the payout pie. That, in turn, nullifies, more or less, the longstanding competitive advantage that those willing to cheat held over those that weren't. Then it all gets back to good old normal recruiting and extolling the values of programs, traditions, staffs, performance, etc. You know, the way it's actually supposed to work when cheating motherfuckers like the try-hards next door aren't ruining it for everyone else. 

BTW, one other element of NIL having positive value for groups like us that I didn't really even foresee is the inadvertent pressure it applies to coaching staffs to produce. Want to get paid more? Win. Why does a HC need a $1million raise when that money could go to a new annual program for defensive backs instead? Better win, buddy. There are alternatives that are sustainable and evergreen for the alumni bases of universities that suddenly look pretty attractive.

Not having to live and die by shitty coaching hires will be nice.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I also think this hilariously validates our assumption and intel that ATM hasn't been doing a fucking thing on NIL, is disorganized regarding it, and wanted to keep things exactly as they were now that had the bag game infrastructure installed. Whoopsy. 

Absolutely. Your work is appreciated because it did not happen overnight and you could not just snap your hands and make it happen. You guys had to put in work for this all to come about.

Their comments yesterday were extremely dismissive. They tell me that those making the comments are not contributing in any meaningful way, and they don't even understand the difference between bags of cash and NIL.

Billy was so pissed because he knows the truth. They are desperately trying to capitalize while we are struggling and still in the Big 12. Y'all making big NIL moves has to be a scary thing to those morons.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

That was a mistake.  We should have told everyone to fuck off and if they tried to interfere with ESPN's right to broadcast whatever they wanted we would see their asses in court.

You're right. What has capitulating ever done for us? This shitty conference takes every opportunity to stab us in the back. We are treated as the villains when we do absolutely nothing. Even Bowlsby has been a dick, and we are the last program he should ever besmirch. We cannot even get reasonable officiating, yet the poor schools cry incessantly.

We need to give them legitimate things to cry about by repeatedly kicking their asses.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah I referenced yesterday how dumb Michigan State boosters must feel right now. I think my example was why pay Mel fucking Tucker $9.5M every year instead of paying Tucker $5M, the offensive line $2.5M, and the defensive line $2M every year? Which one would lead to more winning?

Absolutely what I've been thinking ever since these Texas NIL deals were announced. So much smarter to get players than to overpay coaches. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, honolulu horn said:

Absolutely what I've been thinking ever since these Texas NIL deals were announced. So much smarter to get players than to overpay coaches. 

I said this probably a month ago when people started crying and wanting Sark fired. I said BS, take that buy out money and spend it on players, you will get much better results.

We had 2 Top 5 classes in 2018 and 2019 with players that were heavily recruited by blue bloods? How’d those work out for us?

It does put a premium on coaches who are great communicators and organized leaders. But if AD’s and BMDs think they can moneyball wins, they are mistaken.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think Banks holds off because Jimbo Fisher is attempting sleight of hand. I also think this hilariously validates our assumption and intel that ATM hasn't been doing a fucking thing on NIL, is disorganized regarding it, and wanted to keep things exactly as things were now that they had the bag game infrastructure installed. Whoopsy. 

In truth, if they can actually organize and if they can actually find deep enough pockets who are willing, they'll have a fine NIL program. No one gives a shit. The whole point of putting together an NIL program was that it will dwarf the dark market money, reduce dark market participation because incentives have changed, and players will get a larger share of the payout pie. That, in turn, nullifies, more or less, the longstanding competitive advantage that those willing to cheat held over those that weren't. Then it all gets back to good old normal recruiting and extolling the values of programs, traditions, staffs, performance, etc. You know, the way it's actually supposed to work when cheating motherfuckers like the try-hards next door aren't ruining it for everyone else. 

BTW, one other element of NIL having positive value for groups like us that I didn't really even foresee is the inadvertent pressure it applies to coaching staffs to produce. Want to get paid more? Win. Why does a HC need a $1million raise when that money could go to a new annual program for defensive backs instead? Better win, buddy. There are alternatives that are sustainable and evergreen for the alumni bases of universities that suddenly look pretty attractive.

That last point might be true, but it hasn't helped curb coaches salaries in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

One of the finest speeches in movie history and True to the capital T in life and capitalism. It's terribly overlooked because of the awesome and well-known Gordon Gekko "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good" speech from Wall Street that covers the same terrain around the same time of "Other People's Money" being released. 

And Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross.

17 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

We had 2 Top 5 classes in 2018 and 2019 with players that were heavily recruited by blue bloods? How’d those work out for us?

It does put a premium on coaches who are great communicators and organized leaders. But if AD’s and BMDs think they can moneyball wins, they are mistaken.

Except you're completely forgetting about the transfer portal. Well and also you're completely misusing the term moneyball.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

17 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

That last point might be true, but it hasn't helped curb coaches salaries in the NFL. 

Top coach salaries are 30% of top player salaries. And that's with a salary cap. The highest paid coach makes less than the 16th highest paid QB. Less than the 23rd highest paid edge rusher, and so on. Coach salaries are definitely curbed by player salaries.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting