2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

21 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

They said on the HSFB scoreboard show last night that no Dallas ISD school had won a state title since 1958. 😮

Only because Carter was stripped in 1988.

Someone beat me to it.

Edited by ztejas

32 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I know Duncanville bent them over in 2018, won a closer game in 2019, and SLC barely won last year. But Duncanville isn’t the same without JQJ & southlake hasn’t skipped a beat without Ewers. Dragons will roll.

SLC has the best defense they have had in years also. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Bowie…

Bowie is slightly larger than Westlake and smaller than LT. when bowie makes the playoffs it forces LT and Westlake into different divisions.

Correct.  It’ll be different after redistricting as Westlake is now 10 or so students bigger than Bowie.

Edited by HornsOverIthaca

20 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Really there are some rural districts that should be consolidated.  Especially as some continue to lose enrollment and within miles of each other.  

Many of them have, just to survive and still have a school in the general community. and once you get west of I-35, the miles between town start getting a lot more significant.  almost any school named "______ County" is a consolidated district( e.g: Irion County, Reagan County, Motley County, etc.) West Texas High took in three towns, Stinnett, Phillips, and Plemons.  When Goree schools shut down, they just started going to Munday.   Megargel school closed and they divided up between Archer City, Seymour, and Olney IIRC,  It's a lot more common already than you might think.

Edited by slorch

21 minutes ago, slorch said:

Many of them have, just to survive and still have a school in the general community. and once you get west of I-35, the miles between town start getting a lot more significant.  almost any school named "______ County" is a consolidated district( e.g: Irion County, Reagan County, Motley County, etc.) West Texas High took in three towns, Stinnett, Phillips, and Plemons.  When Goree schools shut down, they just started going to Munday.   Megargel school closed and they divided up between Archer City, Seymour, and Olney IIRC,  It's a lot more common already than you might think.

Correct... Thinking here in South Texas, you have some ISD's that are  just a few miles from each other which house 2A class High Schools such as Refugio /Woodsboro, Agua Dulce/Banquete  which would be a good candidates to consolidate.  Even if you kept the high schools and other schools open in each community as they are, you merge all the administrative stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

But wait, wouldn't transporting kids a few extra miles even for 187 days a year be cheaper than building entire new schools from the ground up?  

Of course… but closing schools to consolidate either the schools themselves or ISDs is like a third rail in politics in this state.   But it’s true as @slorch noted there are some other factors to throw in there. 

33 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Closing schools historically has been a death knell for the town.

That is true.  Cutting off that siphon of state cash can kill a town, even if the children are being transported a little farther across the county to a proper campus.  

I gotta find that article from a couple years back.  #3 indicator your town is on its last breath...is when a Wal-Mart closes (not opens), #2 is when your local ISD is consolidated into a nearby, larger one.  #1 is a Dollar Store (general, family, tree).  It explains what that #1 is actually the death knell.  I'll find it later this week.  

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Noted in comments... Highland Park.... finally 6A

Will be a tougher road for my Scots, for sure, but they won't get run over.  They took down a very good 6A Rockwall team earlier in the year.  What's interesting (for me, probably for nobody else) is that the only time they were 6A (two years...2014-2015) they got knocked out of the playoffs both years by the high school I attended - Waco Midway.

Edited by Ravishing Rick
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Closing schools historically has been a death knell for the town.

Indeed.....   I like  looking at these little towns in West Texas and the Panhandle  on Google Maps that were once stops on highways before the Interstate Highways were built (like around Route 66 in the Panhandle) and some of the others that were tied to mining and oil. And the school is the only thing left plus a Post Office and maybe an old  Drive In grocery store and a cafe.  I'm still amazed though through the years a number of these towns with their  total school enrollment of 30 or even less have survived for this many years.   Especially since farming/ranching  sadly is becoming less generational and the kids who were expecting to take over a farm or ranch decide not to follow through.   

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Noted in comments... Highland Park.... finally 6A

If the DCTF snapshot numbers are accurate, McAllen will be the biggest 5A school, Wichita Falls will be the biggest 4A school (!!!), Hondo will be the biggest 3A school (they could do some damage), and Nocona will be the biggest 2A school.

On 12/6/2021 at 6:20 PM, HornsOverIthaca said:

Correct.  It’ll be different after redistricting as Westlake is now 10 or so students bigger than Bowie.

Dripping Springs, Anderson and Buda Johnson probably in the district from now on. Hays drops to 5A.  All three of those in additional to AHS and San Marcos being smaller than WL and LT pretty much ensures both with be in D1 for the 22 and 23 seasons.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

If the DCTF snapshot numbers are accurate, McAllen will be the biggest 5A school, Wichita Falls will be the biggest 4A school (!!!), Hondo will be the biggest 3A school (they could do some damage), and Nocona will be the biggest 2A school.

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/alignments/Cutoffs_12_8_post_alpha_by_conf.pdf

Here is the official dictate from the politburo known as the UIL.

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 2

suburban Abilene. LOL.  

Love the writeups by BV.  I did some very rudimentary recaps/ predictions for just one region of one class this season and it starts getting old around week 7 or 8.  Respect for your work hitting across all levels and regions of the game many of us love.

Didn't see this posted. Really happy for the kid. Outstanding football player and person. 

Cade Klubnik received the 2021-22 Gatorade Texas Football Player of the Year honor Tuesday, becoming the second Westlake quarterback to win the award in the past five years.

Sam Ehlinger won it as a junior in 2016 after setting a Westlake record with 71 total touchdowns and leading the Chaps to the Class 6A Division II state title game. Two other area quarterbacks have won the award. Garrett Gilbert of Lake Travis earned it in 2008 and became the first player from Texas to win the national honor, and Hutto’s Chase Griffin received the state award as a senior in 2018.

• Hook 'Em 1

CLASS 3A DI

Brock (14-0) vs Mount Vernon (14-0), 7 p.m. Thursday at McKinney’s McKinney ISD Stadium

This could be a really fun one. Both teams are really big and physical for 3A teams.  Brock has rung up 729 points with an offense that mainly bashes you with power sweeps.  MV didn’t play its best game last week in a 24-13 win over West.  This might be close, but I think Brock just has too much.

35-28 Brock in OT.  Brock seemed like they had this in hand, up 21-7 at half and getting the ball to start the 3rd.  But everything went wrong in the 3rd -- punt, turnover, surprise onside kick -- and boom, it was 28-21 MV.  Brock did tie it up in the 4th, and MV had a bad snap on a last-second FG attempt.  Brock got a TD in OT, and MV threw an interception.  

Lorena (12-2) vs Lago Vista (10-3), 7 p.m. Thursday at Georgetown’s Georgetown ISD Athletic Complex

This one will not be close.  Region IV is much worse than the rest of the state in this division.  The Leopards, meanwhile, are on a real roll.  They lost their first two games of the season to Franklin and China Spring, but have scored at least 50 points six games in a row now.  Expect 50+ again.

Yep.  55-17 Leps.

Class 2A DIVISION 1 

Hawley (14-0) vs. Marlin (11-3), 7 p.m. Thursday, Kangaroo Stadium, Weatherford

Hawley (suburban Abilene) has one of the top defenses in the state with seven shutouts and only 94 points allowed all season.  Marlin had a fairly mediocre regular season, but has caught fire in the playoffs, whipping favorites Tolar and Crawford the last two weeks.  The lazy analysis I’ve read touts Marlin’s “athletes” (read: black kids) as being the big equalizer. Hawley has to be the favorite, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Marlin gets it done again.

19-12 Hawley!  WR Aeneas Segura had all 3 TDs.  Hawley makes state for the first time in school history.  How fun!

Timpson (12-0) vs. Shiner (14-0), 7 p.m. Thursday, Tomball ISD Stadium

These two met last year in this game, when a Timpson team that was nearly all underclassmen got pasted by the Comanches 49-7.  Most of those underclassmen are now seniors, so that will make it closer, but Shiner is still just waaaay too good.

35-28 Shiner.  Timpson played their asses off, but came up short.  Dalton Brooks fumbled with under 3 minutes left and Shiner close to putting it to rest, but he snagged a last-minute interception to atone.  And look at this big mofo:

DIVISION 2 

Stratford (13-1) vs. Albany (13-0), 6 p.m. Thursday, Lowrey Field, Lubbock

Good ol’ west Texas slugfest here, and it should be a close one.  Stratford’s only loss was to 3A Bushland.  In games like this, coaches make the difference, and there aren’t many better in the state than Albany’s Denney Faith.

I watched most of this, and it seemed a lot closer than a 35-14 Stratford win.  Both teams moved the ball easily, but once they got inside the red zone, Stratford usually cashed in, and Albany usually tripped over their dicks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So wtf? Just checked my TV guide and neither the Westlake or lake Travis game is on. The fucking Westlake game was on kbvo last week, this week they’re playing like soap operas or some shit. The fuck!?!

My DirecTV has Westlake game on KBVO (51) Sat 2:00 and LT game on KNVA (54) Sat 3:00

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So wtf? Just checked my TV guide and neither the Westlake or lake Travis game is on. The fucking Westlake game was on kbvo last week, this week they’re playing like soap operas or some shit. The fuck!?!

Get the NFHS App..   Pay the $10 and you are set...

Then cancel after the games.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Scholz said:

My DirecTV has Westlake game on KBVO (51) Sat 2:00 and LT game on KNVA (54) Sat 3:00

Hmmmm maybe I just didn’t see it. I’ll check again 

edit: yep still neither of those game on kbvo and knva 

looks like I’ll be using @Nueces River Rat method 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:35 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/alignments/Cutoffs_12_8_post_alpha_by_conf.pdf

Here is the official dictate from the politburo known as the UIL.

Here's a Google map I created based off that link. It's color-coded according to classification to help visualize how the new districts might look. Check the boxes on the left to see whichever classifications you're interested in.

I couldn't squeeze in the 1A schools on the same map as they told me that would be too many layers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Hmmmm maybe I just didn’t see it. I’ll check again 

edit: yep still neither of those game on kbvo and knva 

looks like I’ll be using @Nueces River Rat method 

The guide is just messed up. Last week's game was on KBVO, but the guide on AT&T said it was Andy Griffith Show or some shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Taking both my girls to Waco tomorrow for the game. The last playoff game I went to was Foles, Swope and Tucker vs Fozzy at Kyle Field. 

18 minutes ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

2006 wow.  That was many moons ago.

I had cousins at SA Reagan back then. I watched them play y’all in the playoffs in 06 & 07. Marcus Wright from Reagan probably ran for 600 yards combined in those two games, guy was unreal. Reagan actually beat y’all in 07, pretty hard to imagine now. 

Did Justin Tucker not do kickoffs barefooted back then? I distinctly remember the Westlake kicker doing that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I had cousins at SA Reagan back then. I watched them play y’all in the playoffs in 06 & 07. Marcus Wright from Reagan probably ran for 600 yards combined in those two games, guy was unreal. Reagan actually beat y’all in 07, pretty hard to imagine now. 

Did Justin Tucker not do kickoffs barefooted back then? I distinctly remember the Westlake kicker doing that. 

I think Westlake had a barefoot kicker in maybe 2001 and 2002.

I think Justin Tucker in that 2007 season was having to do all the kicking, played wide receiver and was also a starting corner.

• Hook 'Em 1

China Spring 20 Cuero 3 at HT.

CS is killing them with that QB countertrap out of shotgun that OU runs.  Cuero has had some success running the ball but they keep trying to throw.  Which is a problem when you can't pass block and the qb isn't particularly accurate.  Probably too late now.

• Hook 'Em 1