2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

Westlake has finally pulled away and put this one to an end, but they played with their food for far too long. 

Both North Shore and Duncanville are way waaaay better than Guyer. So the whole talk of Westlake beating anybody by 5 tds should be put to rest.

I would have liked to see either play Westlake. No prediction, but it would have been fun to watch 

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Best reported offer for Vasek is Indiana.  That will probably change soon. Dude is 6-6 230 and can play.  

Westlake DL was the difference in the game. DEs have dominated all game and I think Wayans has 2/3 sacks from the interior. Guyer targeted Burke in the first half with success, but once they get behind it was over 

Edited by Codaxx

18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

So 6’5” 260 pound TE is a tweener? You learn something new everyday 

Hey dumbass.

You said Greathouse is a 'tweener"

between what 2 positions does he fall?

He's going to find a college training table and most likely put on some weight.  Was i that far off to guess he might end up as a WR/TE hybrid?

and @ztejas, I just meant in position only, not that he would be exactly like Kelce.  I was just trying to get the other poster to be more specific.

Edited by slorch

Just now, slorch said:

Hey dumbass.

You said Greathouse is a 'tweener"

between what 2 positions does he fall?

Wait. I said he looks like a tweener and you say like Kelce, who is 6’5” and 260, and you think I am a dumb ass? You said something amazingly stupid, let it go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Wait. I said he looks like a tweener and you say like Kelce, who is 6’5” and 260, and you think I am a dumb ass? You said something amazingly stupid, let it go. 

so you don't have an answer to your own post.  I asked you to clarify and you went smartass.

carry on...

Edited by slorch

What the fuck are y'all talking about. Greathouse is 100p a tweener. Where the Kelce comp came from I have no idea. Kelce is a top 2 TE in the league and a fucking animal. Greathouse doesn't remind me of Kelce at all. He's more of a natural pass catcher that's a little big for an X WR. Kelce runs routes and catches balls like a WR but blocks and runs after the catch like a TE. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

What the fuck are y'all talking about. Greathouse is 100p a tweener. Where the Kelce comp came from I have no idea. Kelce is a top 2 TE in the league and a fucking animal. Greathouse doesn't remind me of Kelce at all. He's more of a natural pass catcher that's a little big for an X WR. Kelce runs routes and catches balls like a WR but blocks and runs after the catch like a TE. 

I said what position does Greathouse play in college, because he looks like a tweener and genius said like Kelce. That comparison made no fucking sense to me 

Edited by Codaxx

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Maybe he meant wingback.

Do you know?   Nah...just smartass remarks.  He doesn't know either.

Don’t be a fucking moron. It’s not like it’s Guard and Tackle. It’s obvious it’s WR and TE, hence why you made the ridiculous comparison to Travis Kelce. 

• Haha 1

No surprise in the end. Westlake didn’t look remotely like the unbeatable juggernaut everyone thought they were though. North shore & Duncanville would have a real shot at beating them. Klubnik was even more unimpressive than I could’ve imagined, so glad we’re getting Ewers/Murphy instead. Westlake’s front 7 seems unfun to play against. Legit ballers everywhere. Secondary is meh. Oline & receivers are elite.

Hats off to Guyer. No one gave them a shot but they gave Westlake all they wanted.

Hahah, not only did I miss the game, I couldn’t even keep up w the score! We are visiting Alaska right now and we’re in Fairbanks! We traveled out to a tourist venue and there wasn’t even cell service. Between the amazing Dogsledding and first-rate breweries, (and a couple of shitty tourist traps,) we are having fun.  It’s awesomely cold and beautiful here, and I highly recommend visiting. Don’t pull the sissy thing and come in summer. Come now when there’s only 3 hours of sun and everyone is telling us how lucky we are it’s only -10 degrees. 

I’m not sure Westlake is the greatest team ever, but they have to be in the conversation, if for no other reason than everyone here is criticizing them for “only” winning the state championship against a really good team by 19 points!  

In less than a year, we (yes, we, as wife gets another state championship ring and daughters went there) have beaten North Shore, Southlake, Lake Travis, Katy, Euliss Trinity, Mansfield, and Guyer and we beat North Shore when they had their senior QB and star receiver. So yeah, we’re pretty good. 

All-right, enough of my rant. We’re having fun drinking local HooDoo IPA at this tourist attraction in the middle of an Alaskan winter and I’m farther north than I’ll probably ever be again. Chaps pulled a #threepeat and I’m feeling pretty great. Cheers!! 

And with @Helobious stating that Klubnik will never be a good college QB, I’m starting to suspect that he is actually @shadow_operative

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, slorch said:

@Codaxx still hasn't addressed his post.  Neither have you @longhornmattor @ztejas.

Tweener between which 2 positions?

Enjoy the offseason.

See if you can figure out what the two positions are? I'll give you some clues:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Jaden-Greathouse-Recruiting-Texas-Longhorns-Football-Westlake-State-Title-178654607/

https://www.si.com/college/texas/recruiting/2023-westlake-jaden-greathouse-high-on-steve-sarkisian-texas-longhorns-recruiting

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

No surprise in the end. Westlake didn’t look remotely like the unbeatable juggernaut everyone thought they were though. North shore & Duncanville would have a real shot at beating them. Klubnik was even more unimpressive than I could’ve imagined, so glad we’re getting Ewers/Murphy instead. Westlake’s front 7 seems unfun to play against. Legit ballers everywhere. Secondary is meh. Oline & receivers are elite.

Hats off to Guyer. No one gave them a shot but they gave Westlake all they wanted.

@Helobious, I heart you, but you spent the whole season telling us why teams should be going after several nameless players from South Texas but the QB who won the last two state championships and the Elite 11 competition will never be a good college QB. Got it. 

i honestly don’t know if he will be good or not but it’s a little early to close the book on him, no?

Sorry for the late posting. Hey, it’s 10:21pm in Alaska. 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

they need to be pumping this weekend nation wide. This is high quality hs sports. This could easily be 4 days on espn2 

Nah. It never will be. Culturally - Texas cares more about HS football than every other state combined. Would you watch the Indiana state basketball playoffs on ESPN? Or the Minnesota state hockey playoffs? Sure, football is a more popular sport but it isn't that much more popular. This is a Texas centric thing and it always will be. Most folks from other states don't understand our fascination with 16-18 year olds playing a game and that's fine. They don't have to. It's our thing and always will be. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Hahah, not only did I miss the game, I couldn’t even keep up w the score! We are visiting Alaska right now and we’re in Fairbanks! We traveled out to a tourist venue and there wasn’t even cell service. Between the amazing Dogsledding and first-rate breweries, (and a couple of shitty tourist traps,) we are having fun.  It’s awesomely cold and beautiful here, and I highly recommend visiting. Don’t pull the sissy thing and come in summer. Come now when there’s only 3 hours of sun and everyone is telling us how lucky we are it’s only -10 degrees. 

I’m not sure Westlake is the greatest team ever, but they have to be in the conversation, if for no other reason than everyone here is criticizing them for “only” winning the state championship against a really good team by 19 points!  

In less than a year, we (yes, we, as wife gets another state championship ring and daughters went there) have beaten North Shore, Southlake, Lake Travis, Katy, Euliss Trinity, Mansfield, and Guyer and we beat North Shore when they had their senior QB and star receiver. So yeah, we’re pretty good. 

All-right, enough of my rant. We’re having fun drinking local HooDoo IPA at this tourist attraction in the middle of an Alaskan winter and I’m farther north than I’ll probably ever be again. Chaps pulled a #threepeat and I’m feeling pretty great. Cheers!! 

And with @Helobious stating that Klubnik will never be a good college QB, I’m starting to suspect that he is actually @shadow_operative

I'll be in Iceland in a couple of weeks. It is pretty far north also.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

You missed a pretty fun game. Guyer played their hearts out. Up to start to the 2nd half, Westlake scores. Then oddly a 53 yard field goal just kind of gave us all the momentum and Westlake never looked back. 40-21. Our d line and especially Burke played great  most of the game, but they really turned it on in the second half. Then Klubnik woke up and Greathouse took over. Pretty good game But Todd Dodge closing out his coaching career on a 40(?) game win streak and another state title is just so perfect. 7 fucking state titles. Dude is a Texas high school football legend 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

I'll be in Iceland in a couple of weeks. It is pretty far north also.

That’s awesome. I love that you are going in winter. Respect! Looks like Fairbanks and Reykajavik are at almost identical latitudes. Be sure to write about how your trip goes. Hey, it’s the off-season! 

6 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Gee golly.  That's fucking amazing.   It's exactly what I said...  but the other dipshit couldn't  just post "yeah, probably"

Instead other people had to tell me he's not physically the same size as Travis Kelce.

SMDH...

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Wonder how long Bally has the broadcasting rights ?

they need to be pumping this weekend nation wide. This is high quality hs sports. This could easily be 4 days on espn2 

the Bally streaming app sucks

My extended family knows I love football, to the point of being a junkie.  When they heard about some of my playoff road trips, like driving from Houston to Tuscola/ Odessa/ Sweetwater to see 3 Area round games in 27 hours, most of them just had this expression:

okay-but-why.gif

I'm a 100% cool with keeping it as a Texas treasure that we enjoy.  Why the inclination to further monetize/ corrupt things?  It's big enough already.  Pleanty big...

and still pretty damned special.

Edited by slorch

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Nah. It never will be. Culturally - Texas cares more about HS football than every other state combined. Would you watch the Indiana state basketball playoffs on ESPN? Or the Minnesota state hockey playoffs? Sure, football is a more popular sport but it isn't that much more popular. This is a Texas centric thing and it always will be. Most folks from other states don't understand our fascination with 16-18 year olds playing a game and that's fine. They don't have to. It's our thing and always will be. 

ESPN2 (or U, whatever) was airing the George largest division state championship game last week. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

8 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

@Helobious, I heart you, but you spent the whole season telling us why teams should be going after several nameless players from South Texas but the QB who won the last two state championships and the Elite 11 competition will never be a good college QB. Got it. 

i honestly don’t know if he will be good or not but it’s a little early to close the book on him, no?

Sorry for the late posting. Hey, it’s 10:21pm in Alaska. 

She’s Patterson & Spencer Rattler were Elite 11 MVPs too. 

Also voluntarily going to Alaska this time of year seems unwise. We will carry your memory with us forever.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

My extended family knows I love football, to the point of being a junkie.  When they heard about some of my playoff road trips, like driving from Houston to Tuscola/ Odessa/ Sweetwater to see 3 Area round games in 27 hours, most of them just had this expression:

okay-but-why.gif

I'm a 100% cool with keeping it as a Texas treasure that we enjoy.  Why the inclination to further monetize/ corrupt things?  It's big enough already.  Pleanty big...

and still pretty damned special.

When Direct TV was still a big thing and before AT&T took it over, they used to have the all the Fox Sports regional channels as part of the sports package.   So you’d get to see many of the other 49 states title games.   None of them even compared to Texas.  Not even the other football  centric states like The SEC states, Florida, Ohio, and California.    California really has a messed up system as they don’t even crown state champions in football and I think all their high sports.  And the privates mess up the scene there IMO and overshadow the publics anyway.  

As it is right now, it does attract interest from out of staters.  When I went up there in 2016, an older gentleman sat next to me and he immediately started a conversation seeing that i was obviously a fan.   He was the current record holder for most wins in Illinois high school history and wanted to see the Texas coach who just got the record for most wins in Texas do his thing with his trademark offense too which he ran in Illinois.   I thought that was pretty darn cool. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Also voluntarily going to Alaska this time of year seems unwise. We will carry your memory with us forever.

Lol… I told my kids and especially my youngest teenage daughter you all will not schedule your weddings from  late August to December if you expect me to attend.   There is a reason June was always marketed as the month to get married.   

27 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

ESPN2 (or U, whatever) was airing the George largest division state championship game last week. 

The U also has a pretty cool they are broadcasting right now with the State champs of certain states taking on each other.   I guess it works for them because many of them ended their season back in late November.   But I’d love to see Northshore, Westlake or Duncanville be given right to play one more game and take on one the California or Florida  schools in this series on the back end of the season instead of the front end. 

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

these teams are sending players nation wide. People would watch 

yes, I would watch both those as it’ll be during baseballs off-season 

how long before we get the basketball and baseball championship weekends on Bally  ?

Edited by tx 3 putt

53 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Well. He wasn’t wearing the Kermit the frog green colors of Southlake last night. Nah, Westlake is promoting their DC.

I do wonder if it’s crossed his mind. Easier to be a big dog in Austin than DFW

Figured it’ll be one or the other. Asked some people closer to the program and nobody seems to know for sure. 

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

That’s a fair point. My gripe is that you have declared without equivocation that he will be a failure at the college level. It’s uncharacteristic of you, as none of us know what will happen. 

15 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

That’s a fair point. My gripe is that you have declared without equivocation that he will be a failure at the college level. It’s uncharacteristic of you, as none of us know what will happen. 

Gut feeling that he’s a system QB that just chucks it up to really good receivers (JFC that Greathouse kid is a beast). I’m not shy on letting my non-monetary nuts hang on bold predictions. When I’m wrong I look extra stupid because I’m so adamant (LH by 5 TDs), but overall I’m usually right (ended up 4-2 on state title predictions. Also had Braves in 6 in the WS). 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They getting Saban.

May as well, his wife’s been spotted shopping for homes in westlake for the better part of a decade.  It’s gotta be move-in ready by now.