Chris Warren signs with the Oakland Raiders

Machinator

39 minutes ago, Tailleur17 said:

He was slow af, ran straight up, and couldn’t hit the hole his entire time at UT. If Texas Tech didn’t exist he wouldn’t have sniffed the league.

He was scared of contact. Whether he didn’t like the pain or was just saving his body for the NFL, I don’t know.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, texas08 said:

He was prolly trying to not get injured or some shit while at Texas...he looked good during the few snaps I caught of him today

And having Lynch to look up to must be bad ass when you’re a big back like warren

I think Lynch dropping the unvarnished truth in his ear day after Day is probably the best thing for him. 

Hope he makes it. 

It sounds like he never really “bought in” to Herman’s program (along with a lot of other juniors who were recruited under Charlie) but we would have won more games had he run the ball 10-15 times a game. At the very least, he should have gotten goal line carries in overtime vs. USC and Oklahoma State. I’m disappointed that his career didn’t live up to the post- 2015 Texas Tech expectations but I hope he tears it up in the NFL.

Edited by Auto Driller
  • Like 2

It wasn’t a secret he was saving himself for the NFL. Unfortunately for him, he saved himself so much he lost out on a ton of money.
averaged 6ypc under strong, but was injured his Fr and So seasons. played 8 and 4 games those years.

I don't know what happened under Herman, but he averaged 4.4 ypc, which was still better than Kyle Porter... but by that point, I'd probably be ready to save myself, too.

good luck to the young man. he played behind some really shitty offenses here. he knew he'd still get an NFL shot if healthy.

8 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Not really. I wish him well, but he really wasn’t. 

This is a pretty ridiculous statement. Go back and watch some of the games from early in the season. Warren was all over the field doing everything asked of him (repeatedly blocking for the QB, getting downfield to block for receivers). What was rarely asked of him was to run the ball. Rewatch the KSU game. Without his downfield fumble recovery (can't remember which receiver of ours fumbled), and without him carrying half the KSU defense for 4 yards to get into the endzone after running into our shitty OL 2 yards behind the LOS, we don't win that game. For whatever reason the coaches clearly favored Porter, but their preference certainly wasn't based on in game performance. 

I don't fault Warren for leaving and wish him the best of luck.

Edited by Baconboy
  • Like 6

We’ve actually had some solid nfl level RBs the last 15 or so years

Young

Charles

Melton - DE move but was in NFL

Obi wan

Whittaker

Brown

Whaley - DE move in NFL

Foreman

Warren

Who else?

edit: Gray would have likely made it somewhere had his achillles not been made of glass

Edited by GreenspointTexas

Let’s be straight about Chris Warren at Texas. He should not have been playing behind Porter. He should have received more snaps last year. Porter, irrespective of OL play (watch the Missouri game if you need proof), has no business being a featured back in D1.

That considered, Chris Warren was worried about Chris Warren and he didn’t give it his all at Texas. He was receiving that advice from helicopter parents. If he makes it in the league, watch his ass do the same shit before he gets a new contract down the line. The Eric Dickerson Maneuver. His mom was also constantly running her fucking mouth to Burton and crew, apparently. So, good luck and all of that bullshit, but this guy was a weak teammate and didn’t do the program any favors. He’s one of many Charlie Strong recruits who were looking out for themselves before the notion of team ever entered the picture. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Let’s be straight about Chris Warren at Texas. He should not have been playing behind Porter. He should have received more snaps last year. Porter, irrespective of OL play (watch the Missouri game if you need proof), has no business being a featured back in D1.

That considered, Chris Warren was worried about Chris Warren and he didn’t give it his all at Texas. He was receiving that advice from helicopter parents. If he makes it in the league, watch his ass do the same shit before he gets a new contract down the line. The Eric Dickerson Maneuver. His mom was also constantly running her fucking mouth to Burton and crew, apparently. So, good luck and all of that bullshit, but this guy was a weak teammate and didn’t do the program any favors. He’s one of many Charlie Strong recruits who were looking out for themselves before the notion of team ever entered the picture. 

Agree with this take, but if Herman realized Warren's effectiveness was affected by him acting like a selfish pussy, I can't fault him too much for playing Warren behind Porter (and Carter and Young).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Agree with this take, but if Herman realized Warren's effectiveness was affected by him acting like a selfish pussy, I can't fault him too much for playing Warren behind Porter (and Carter and Young).

Sure. I guess my view is that Kyle Porter is the worst D1 running back I have ever seen, and Chris Warren going half ass was better than Kyle Porter smelling the grass. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sure. I guess my view is that Kyle Porter is the worst D1 running back I have ever seen, and Chris Warren going half ass was better than Kyle Porter smelling the grass. 

Oh, I agree. But I think the depth chart should've been:

Carter/Young

Warren

Some homeless guy

???

Porter