What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

16 hours ago, markstanco said:

Adding lanes wont help?  How is that (honest question)?  

If adding lanes reduced traffic, it would make sense that reducing lanes would increase traffic right? When the west side highway was removed in NYC, there was no massive gridlock as a result. Turns out that traffic wasn't going TO NYC it was going to NJ and using the highway because it was easier. Same thing with the old embarcadero in SF. 

What I think a lot of people miss is that if traffic isn't going TO your city, it shouldn't be IN your city. We're dealing with the same thing in Dallas. Why should local Dallas residents pay the price so residents in Forney can travel to Grand Prairie with no issues? 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

If adding lanes reduced traffic, it would make sense that reducing lanes would increase traffic right? When the west side highway was removed in NYC, there was no massive gridlock as a result. Turns out that traffic wasn't going TO NYC it was going to NJ and using the highway because it was easier. Same thing with the old embarcadero in SF. 

What I think a lot of people miss is that if traffic isn't going TO your city, it shouldn't be IN your city. We're dealing with the same thing in Dallas. Why should local Dallas residents pay the price so residents in Forney can travel to Grand Prairie with no issues? 

Who goes to GP on purpose? 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I don’t *completely* agree with the premise, but the general idea is the main reason why the idea of swapping the designations of I35 and the 130 toll road in Austin won’t die- it would get the non-local semitrailer traffic out of central Austin, which is an enormous contributor to the problems on I35. 
I think we would also agree that city taxpayers wind up bearing a huge burden to subsidize highway construction and other services to accommodate suburban/exurban growth. 

31 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Shouldn't MORE bike lines induce MORE bike traffic? Still waiting on that.

I got you, fam:

Biking on Rise in Austin

Austinites are biking more.

What's happening: The number of average daily bike trips per 1,000 people rose by six in Austin between 2019-2022, going from 17 to 23.

• That's per a new report from mobility data firm StreetLight Data, which uses GPS and other location data to measure urban transportation patterns.

L-o-fucking-l.

So it's gone from 98.3% of people not using a bike to 97.7%. Almost there!

Jacksonville, Florida reports more bike trips.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Y'all are complaining about Austinites not knowing how to use some of these intersections but its really Americans.  BUT people eventually adapt.  Look at the intersection at Slaughter and Mopac.  It's not that hard to figure out, y'all.  

Here's an example in Calgary

image.thumb.png.e1048de05b375e211a6769d3e9f2e857.png

https://newsroom.calgary.ca/calgarys-first-diverging-diamond-interchange-shown-to-have-greatly-improved-safety-for-motorists/

I think roundabouts are fantastic and really help with traffic but, man, some people are dumbasses in they stop in the middle.   Again, people have to adjust.  I'm sure buggy drives had their dungarees in a wad when cars came about.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

L-o-fucking-l.

So it's gone from 98.3% of people not using a bike to 97.7%. Almost there!

Jacksonville, Florida reports more bike trips.

I didn’t say it was a lot. You asked about data showing increased ridership, I gave it to you. The grid sucks for everyone. If they made it better for cars that would make it better for bikes, too. But they won’t, because people in Austin are fundamentally very hostile to any sort of change. That’s the answer to the question posed by this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

Details of Saturday night's homicide. Homeless man gets in fight with guy with gun. 

A 23-year-old man faces a murder charge following a shooting at a southeast Austin apartment complex that left one person dead Saturday night, according to court documents obtained by KXAN.

An arrest warrant affidavit identified the suspect in the shooting as Adam Brown, 23. He faces a murder charge.

The affidavit said 911 callers reported that a homeless man had been arguing with another man, Brown, when a gunshot could be heard over the phone. One of the callers identified herself as Brown’s partner and said the man threatened and ran at them.

Brown and his partner both spoke to police and told them they were walking their dogs back to their apartment from the park when they saw the man and their dogs reacted to him, according to the affidavit. They both told police the man threatened them, saying he was going to get a knife and come kill their dogs, before he walked across the street and disappeared, then returned a short while later, the affidavit said.

Brown told police he went back outside with his gun while his partner stayed inside and called 911, according to the affidavit. Brown said the man threw a large branch and log at him and said he had a knife, then bent over to pick something up and sprinted at him, which is when Brown shot at him, according to the affidavit. Police asked Brown if he ever saw a knife and he said that it was dark and could not visibly see one, the affidavit noted.

The witness said their roommate called 911, and they continued watching the argument, the affidavit said. The witness said they heard one of their neighbors say, “We have a gun,” and said the man responded by saying, “shoot me,” in a challenging manner, the affidavit said.

The witness said they heard a gunshot right after that, according to the affidavit.

Police asked the witness what the man was doing right before Brown shot, and they said he was standing in the grass, animatedly talking with his hands and yelling at Brown, according to the affidavit. Police asked the witness if the man still had the branch in his hands and if he charged at Brown, and the witness said no, according to the affidavit.

The affidavit states that based on the investigation, including witness statements and evidence gathered at the scene, police believe Brown committed murder.

29 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Details of Saturday night's homicide. Homeless man gets in fight with guy with gun. 

A 23-year-old man faces a murder charge following a shooting at a southeast Austin apartment complex that left one person dead Saturday night, according to court documents obtained by KXAN.

An arrest warrant affidavit identified the suspect in the shooting as Adam Brown, 23. He faces a murder charge.

The affidavit said 911 callers reported that a homeless man had been arguing with another man, Brown, when a gunshot could be heard over the phone. One of the callers identified herself as Brown’s partner and said the man threatened and ran at them.

Brown and his partner both spoke to police and told them they were walking their dogs back to their apartment from the park when they saw the man and their dogs reacted to him, according to the affidavit. They both told police the man threatened them, saying he was going to get a knife and come kill their dogs, before he walked across the street and disappeared, then returned a short while later, the affidavit said.

Brown told police he went back outside with his gun while his partner stayed inside and called 911, according to the affidavit. Brown said the man threw a large branch and log at him and said he had a knife, then bent over to pick something up and sprinted at him, which is when Brown shot at him, according to the affidavit. Police asked Brown if he ever saw a knife and he said that it was dark and could not visibly see one, the affidavit noted.

The witness said their roommate called 911, and they continued watching the argument, the affidavit said. The witness said they heard one of their neighbors say, “We have a gun,” and said the man responded by saying, “shoot me,” in a challenging manner, the affidavit said.

The witness said they heard a gunshot right after that, according to the affidavit.

Police asked the witness what the man was doing right before Brown shot, and they said he was standing in the grass, animatedly talking with his hands and yelling at Brown, according to the affidavit. Police asked the witness if the man still had the branch in his hands and if he charged at Brown, and the witness said no, according to the affidavit.

The affidavit states that based on the investigation, including witness statements and evidence gathered at the scene, police believe Brown committed murder.

Which one of you is Adam Brown?

Why would anyone be upset about that intersection?  Anything that removes stop signs is a plus to me.

It’s a narrow ass roundabout that Austin drivers won’t know how to use. Guarantee people will go right over those reflectors.

Someone should set up a camera there.

No. That’s why they work. They force drivers to do what they should always be doing anyway: pay attention.

Someone should’ve told that to the guy who blew through the roundabout at Garden Villa and Barton Skyway this morning without slowing down.

I’ve seen people go the wrong way in them to make a left hand turn instead of going around. And people also treat them like 4-way stops. It’s infuriating.

I like roundabouts and 4-way stops. But I sure as shit don’t trust my fellow drivers who are frequently checking their phones.
  • Hook 'Em 1

So it looks like Austin is hiring the former city manager for Dallas, who was forced to resign by the mayor and council.  Seems on brand.  

https://www.axios.com/local/dallas/2024/02/23/broadnax-resigns-dallas-city-manager

https://www.keranews.org/texas-news/2024-03-27/austin-to-offer-city-manager-job-to-t-c-broadnax-mayor-says

Meh...City Managers get fired all of the time. It's part of the job. It is usually because they have been made the scapegoat for something they had nothing to do with, or because there was Council turnover and the new council wanted to hire their own guy.

I'm not saying this is a good hire or that every CM that gets fired isn't for a good reason. I am simply saying that City Manager's get fired all of the time for a lot of reasons that don't necessarily mean they suck.

• Hook 'Em 1

Doing a mediocre at best job is how they consider you a great employee around here.  You do the job right, you piss off the progressives, not to mention get hired away by a city that appreciates your approach. 

I feel like the city prefers someone who squeaks by and checks a few diversity boxes here or there, and has no risk of leaving for something better.  I'm really surprised Cronk lasted as long as he did, then was ousted for the weather debacle (while the head of Austin Energy wasn't even reprimanded for her responsibility in the entire clusterfuck).

• Hook 'Em 1

The old Paragon Prep building is a homeless camp. Maybe they are there to study all those old textbooks.

I wonder if he's going to be found too crazy to stand trial and be released back on the streets. Yay for tax paying citizens!

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/take-some-time-to-wear-off-76-year-old-woman-home-when-man-experiencing-homelessness-breaks-in-apd/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — “I thought it was a good time to relax and watch a movie,” 76-year-old Kathy Struck said about the afternoon of March 16. Her daughter Jennifer had just left for the grocery store.

The back door was unlocked.

“All of a sudden, I turn my head, and there’s a man in my bedroom,” Struck said, adding that the man also went through her pantry and refrigerator.

She said she stayed calm and got him to leave, locking the door behind him.

“Then I heard noise, I heard loud banging,” Struck said. He got back in, breaking through the laundry room window. And his demeanor changed, she said.

“Destroying things, and he was moving the washer and dryer, so at that time, I decided I better call 911,” Struck said. Between the call and the time police got there, Struck said the man got into her toolbox. “They sent a policeman. The minute he saw the man, he pulled his gun and said ‘Drop the hammer.'”

Police said the man was experiencing homelessness.

This happened in central Austin off of North Lamar Boulevard. The Austin Police Department (APD) said the man barricaded himself in the laundry room.

“When officers arrived, they made multiple attempts to get the suspect out of the room using commands and pepper balls,” the department said in a statement. “After a round of pepper balls, officers were successful getting the suspect out and making an arrest.”

While police worked to get the man out of Struck’s house, she said one officer stayed with her in her room.

“He kept me busy talking. We could hear what was going on out there,” she said. Struck said she saw crews take the man away in an ambulance.

He faces burglary charges, according to police.

KXAN learned of Struck’s story when her neighbors reached out about growing homeless activity at an abandoned building nearby on Old Koenig Lane.

The City told us it’s aware of concerns related to the building, and has previously requested support from the Austin Police Department in clearing the camps set up inside. Following code violations related to trash and needing to secure the property – the Develop Services Department says city contractors have repeatedly installed new fences and boarded up the property.

The fire department said a person experiencing homelessness was responsible for a fire at that very building last week. According to the Development Services Department, staff are meeting with the Building Standards Commission next month to request a demolition order.

While police said the man who broke into Struck’s home is listed as homeless, they could not confirm he was staying at that building.

“It’s hard because a large percentage of these homeless people are mentally ill,” Struck said, adding that she feels compassion towards the people setting up camp at the abandoned building.

Her neighbor Samantha Sampson expressed a similar sentiment.

“I don’t blame them for trying to find shelter they’re doing what they need to do to survive as people,” Sampson said.

Austin’s Homeless Strategy Office said staff “and our partners have been regularly conducting outreach in the area,” explaining that includes “services on a voluntary basis” and providing shelter beds when they’re available.

As for Struck, she hopes more help comes.

• Rage+1 1

Bigger boondoggle so far: Project Connect or the money spent on the homeless issue with no improvement?

Fuck man, at this point what's the solution for our city? We've been putting up with this stuff for too long. It's a drain on quality of life, public safety, police/AFD/EMS resources, taxpayer funds, and environmental protection.

I don't know what to do at this point but build a shelter out by the airport or put one in each district if you want fairness. Offer bus service, services, security, lockers. Don't want to go? Offer a bus ticket. Still want to camp? It's now against the law. 

I like the idea of a "soft" approach, but it's just not working. Fires, break-ins, machete attacks, murders, trashed camps -- no wonder families are saying no way and AISD enrollment is sinking. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

The old Paragon Prep building is a homeless camp. Maybe they are there to study all those old textbooks.

I wonder if he's going to be found too crazy to stand trial and be released back on the streets. Yay for tax paying citizens!

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/take-some-time-to-wear-off-76-year-old-woman-home-when-man-experiencing-homelessness-breaks-in-apd/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — “I thought it was a good time to relax and watch a movie,” 76-year-old Kathy Struck said about the afternoon of March 16. Her daughter Jennifer had just left for the grocery store.

“All of a sudden, I turn my head, and there’s a man in my bedroom,” Struck said, adding that the man also went through her pantry and refrigerator.

“Then I heard noise, I heard loud banging,” Struck said. He got back in, breaking through the laundry room window. And his demeanor changed, she said.

“Destroying things, and he was moving the washer and dryer, so at that time, I decided I better call 911,” Struck said. Between the call and the time police got there, Struck said the man got into her toolbox. “They sent a policeman. The minute he saw the man, he pulled his gun and said ‘Drop the hammer.'”

This happened in central Austin off of North Lamar Boulevard. The Austin Police Department (APD) said the man barricaded himself in the laundry room.

“When officers arrived, they made multiple attempts to get the suspect out of the room using commands and pepper balls,” the department said in a statement. “After a round of pepper balls, officers were successful getting the suspect out and making an arrest.”

While police worked to get the man out of Struck’s house, she said one officer stayed with her in her room.

“He kept me busy talking. We could hear what was going on out there,” she said. Struck said she saw crews take the man away in an ambulance.

KXAN learned of Struck’s story when her neighbors reached out about growing homeless activity at an abandoned building nearby on Old Koenig Lane.

The City told us it’s aware of concerns related to the building, and has previously requested support from the Austin Police Department in clearing the camps set up inside. Following code violations related to trash and needing to secure the property – the Develop Services Department says city contractors have repeatedly installed new fences and boarded up the property.

The fire department said a person experiencing homelessness was responsible for a fire at that very building last week. According to the Development Services Department, staff are meeting with the Building Standards Commission next month to request a demolition order.

While police said the man who broke into Struck’s home is listed as homeless, they could not confirm he was staying at that building.

“It’s hard because a large percentage of these homeless people are mentally ill,” Struck said, adding that she feels compassion towards the people setting up camp at the abandoned building.

“I don’t blame them for trying to find shelter they’re doing what they need to do to survive as people,” Sampson said.

Austin’s Homeless Strategy Office said staff “and our partners have been regularly conducting outreach in the area,” explaining that includes “services on a voluntary basis” and providing shelter beds when they’re available.

So if Mrs. Struck had aerated this asshole, she walks, right?

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

With Garza? Ha. Exactly the scenario where he'd probably throw the book at someone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Where was Adam Brown when we needed him?!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Always remember to overseed and fertilize after aerating Shooting Star GIF

Edited by B00M
Words r hard

38 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Bigger boondoggle so far: Project Connect or the money spent on the homeless issue with no improvement?

I nominate the Corridor Mobility Program.  Construction and congestion throughout the city to bring us . . . sidewalks. Oh, and bike lanes.  Because we like to use both when its 90 degrees or more 8 months out of the year.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, demos said:

I’ve seen people go the wrong way in them to make a left hand turn instead of going around.

The new traffic circle I referenced in our neighborhood is so small that larger trucks routinely do this.  They can't negotiate the proper left hand turn, so they just take the short cut.  Great job, Austin.

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

So it looks like Austin is hiring the former city manager for Dallas, who was forced to resign by the mayor and council.  Seems on brand.  

https://www.axios.com/local/dallas/2024/02/23/broadnax-resigns-dallas-city-manager

https://www.keranews.org/texas-news/2024-03-27/austin-to-offer-city-manager-job-to-t-c-broadnax-mayor-says

To be fair, if the Dallas Mayor and council wanted to push someone out that is almost a recommendation. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Fuck man, at this point what's the solution for our city? We've been putting up with this stuff for too long. It's a drain on quality of life, public safety, police/AFD/EMS resources, taxpayer funds, and environmental protection.

I don't know what to do at this point but build a shelter out by the airport or put one in each district if you want fairness. Offer bus service, services, security, lockers. Don't want to go? Offer a bus ticket. Still want to camp? It's now against the law. 

I like the idea of a "soft" approach, but it's just not working. Fires, break-ins, machete attacks, murders, trashed camps -- no wonder families are saying no way and AISD enrollment is sinking. 

It was all an excuse to raise taxes and spend more money on anything but what is actually needed (infrastructure/utilities etc)... so in that vein, it has been an incredible success. 

34 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Man…I’m glad I’m not this guy’s attorney. Even more sad fallout from the school bus/concrete truck wreck. 

One of those things seems a lot more relevant than the other 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Man…I’m glad I’m not this guy’s attorney. Even more sad fallout from the school bus/concrete truck wreck. 

1. FJM Concrete Pumping about to be out of business.

2. Driver of black pickup at end of first video just motors on by after watching a school bus roll in front of him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

35 minutes ago, royiv said:

1. FJM Concrete Pumping about to be out of business.

2. Driver of black pickup at end of first video just motors on by after watching a school bus roll in front of him.

Don't know for sure on #2.   Driver should not have slammed on brakes and I would not have stopped in front of the accident.  I would have driven a good 50 yards away and then parked and gone back. 

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

IMG_0283.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:41 AM, texasdago said:

I think roundabouts are fantastic and really help with traffic but, man, some people are dumbasses in they stop in the middle.   Again, people have to adjust.  I'm sure buggy drives had their dungarees in a wad when cars came about.

Roundabouts are fantastic - when done correctly.  The few I've seen in Austin are not really roundabouts; they are just disruptions in traffic.  My dad and brother live in Carmel, IN, and all but 1 major intersection in the city has roundabouts.  And they work extremely well.  The 1 exception is the "First Ever Stoplight in the State of Indiana." 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

IMG_0283.jpeg

Sounds like it doesn't it? But far, far from it. 

Just someone that is tired of us spinning our wheels with no progress.

Dammit. I was delivering off this street yesterday (and do often) and was thinking, "Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?"

There was a small roundabout there before they redid it. It wasn't great since the intersection wasn't made initially for a roundabout, but it wasn't terrible to get thru. This one is stupid - not only because of those bike lanes on both sides, but because the roundabout forces you to drive partially into the cross street on both sides which has square corners instead of the circular drive you typically see with a roundabout. If another car is coming up to turn and waits for you, you pretty much have to stop and let them go first because there isn't room to maneuver without running over the reflectors

And this is the only roundabout in that neighborhood. And it's in a stupid place. Sendero runs straight through the entire neighborhood between Loyola and 969. This roundabout is at an intersection where one cross street goes a block and deadends - with about 12 houses on it. The other side goes down and loops back to Sendero in a different spot that has no roundabout. There can't be enough traffic from the cross streets to warrant needing a roundabout to let people out easier.
9c7988729570655ff1d1713c6c481156.jpg

16 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

21 is like 290W / Highway of Death. I travel more than I care to on the latter. This is a a good illustration why I always stay in the right line on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

21 is like 290W / Highway of Death. I travel more than I care to on the latter. This is a a good illustration why I always stay in the right line on it.

Seriously. I used to drive 21 all the time when we lived in Hays county 20 years ago, and I had close calls with the above scenario regularly. I can only imagine what it’s like now with 5X the cars at even faster speeds.  

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Sounds like it doesn't it? But far, far from it. 

Just someone that is tired of us spinning our wheels with no progress.

Fair enough. I’m kidding around some but with the homeless thing in particular- we have the best program in the country, here, already. Community First village and Mobile Loaves and Fishes  is the gold standard for how to manage the permanent homeless population. San Antonio also has a great model. At the local level, both of those approaches work. But they take money, and commitment and patience and support. But those are the things that work. And because they do, they are more cost effective than anything that doesn’t work, which includes the gamut of half measures from buying hotels to jail. 

• Hook 'Em 2