Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

Boy Scout comments about which schools had paid players before NiL, jeebus, what a bunch of hypocritical morons, of course everyone had paid players. Probably going back 100 years. The real crime is :

-paid refs

-paid horrible administration and league officials 

-millionaire loser coaches

thats what folks need to bitch about.

• Hook 'Em 2

Big 12 ratings will be fine as long as the Deion Circus continues into 2024 or maybe 2025, AND Texas residents continue to watch Big 12 games. 

The conference can put Colorado vs anybody in conference and get a high 5 to low 8 million number.

So let’s call Deion their Tier 1 games. Ranked opponents are Tier 2. Everything else is Tier 3.

Deion will probably get one of the ABC and ESPN primetime spots. Ranked opponents will probably go at 11 am if the game is in the CST. 930 pm window if the game is in the MST. 

That’s not bad. If conference quality remains high which it isn’t this year. The Big 12 needs 4 ranked programs at all times. Utah is a lock. K State is pretty safely in there. Maybe TCU and Kansas? And then… a shit ton of rebuilding programs. 

I think the Big 12 could have real struggles in the afternoon window. The competition will be fierce and they just don’t have the brands to stack up. They should punt there and put their best Tier 3 game on Friday night. ESPN and Fox appear to not want to engage with the NFL on Thursday night. 

I’m a junkie and a Texas resident , but I’m already watching a lot more SEC games. Crap P5 conference games are fighting for the lower left hand corner of my ESPN multicast. piggy v MS State is more appealing to me than Okie State v UCF. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Big 12 ratings will be fine as long as the Deion Circus continues into 2024 or maybe 2025, AND Texas residents continue to watch Big 12 games. 

The conference can put Colorado vs anybody in conference and get a high 5 to low 8 million number.

So let’s call Deion their Tier 1 games. Ranked opponents are Tier 2. Everything else is Tier 3.

Deion will probably get one of the ABC and ESPN primetime spots. Ranked opponents will probably go at 11 am if the game is in the CST. 930 pm window if the game is in the MST. 

That’s not bad. If conference quality remains high which it isn’t this year. The Big 12 needs 4 ranked programs at all times. Utah is a lock. K State is pretty safely in there. Maybe TCU and Kansas? And then… a shit ton of rebuilding programs. 

I think the Big 12 could have real struggles in the afternoon window. The competition will be fierce and they just don’t have the brands to stack up. They should punt there and put their best Tier 3 game on Friday night. ESPN and Fox appear to not want to engage with the NFL on Thursday night. 

I’m a junkie and a Texas resident , but I’m already watching a lot more SEC games. Crap P5 conference games are fighting for the lower left hand corner of my ESPN multicast. piggy v MS State is more appealing to me than Okie State v UCF. 

Looks like Texas residents weren’t watching the big 12 last week.  Will they be more apt to once we’re gone?

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Deion Circus is going to fold, ratings-wise, if/when Colorado continues to get bent over by decent teams. People might watch to see him fail, but blowout football games aren’t going to hold all that many viewers, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If Texas gets good…

After 2022, the Texas program was about where it was after 1994. There has been over a decade of mediocrity and folks were wondering if the program even had it in it to be successful. From 1994 to 2009, there was a huge growth in popularity. 

If Texas can repeat that success, there may be a ridiculous run up in revenue, ratings and popularity. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Big 12 ratings will be fine when the teams stop playing like shit. ISU v. OSU in 2021 drew 2.5M or somewhere in that area. OSU was top 10 and Matt Campbell was still doing well. Last week's game had both teams coming off horrific G5 losses and was relegated to FS1, hence the shitty ratings. It'll work out long term, but this is a bad year to make judgments, because everyone outside of UT seems like they suck (ou included who is ranked but not at the level they used to be).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Is he a noted big 12 hater?  And no shame in losing to tOSU, even with their new QB

He hates the Hateful 8 more than the posters in this thread.  He was absolutely dancing on our grave when you guys announced the SEC move and talked about how we would get a contract on par with the AAC.

He's a big Pac 12 guy.  The best part of this past summer was watching people slamming him with receipts on Twitter.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He hates the Hateful 8 more than the posters in this thread.  He was absolutely dancing on our grave when you guys announced the SEC move and talked about how we would get a contract on par with the AAC.

He's a big Pac 12 guy.  The best part of this past summer was watching people slamming him with receipts on Twitter.

He's a parody that hates parity man.

On 9/28/2023 at 8:05 AM, Doc Daneeka said:

The Deion Circus is going to fold, ratings-wise, if/when Colorado continues to get bent over by decent teams. People might watch to see him fail, but blowout football games aren’t going to hold all that many viewers, imo. 

i think CU ratings will be really good next season and probably his entire tenure there even if they only win 5-6 games per year in his first 3.  but if the b12 does CU a few favors and matches then up with the weaker  b12 teams to pad their record the ratings train will keep keeping on.  But CU and Prime with be both the hero and heel for the immediate future and TV will love that.  

Has there been any viewing metrics shown that CU games actually increased the total viewers for all games in their time slot?  actually bringing in new CFB viewers that were not there last season?  Klatt was saying that Fox has already won the year in ratings vs other networks no matter what happens the rest of the year. 

8 hours ago, statsman said:

I was just looking at StubHub. BYU at TCU (next home game for Frogs)- there are a ton of tix at $40-50 each. 

Texas at TCU? It starts at $175 each. 

That shit started in the SWC -- when Bellmont noticed that conference members doing that for the Texas road games, they reciprocated for those next home game with whoever did it.  At least some of the Big12 members have done the same shit for the Texas road games--more of that this year, too.

I saw $4 for a Cougar High game ticket for a non-Texas home game. but for the TEXAS game, the prices start at $85 per the ESPN schedule ticket link.

Over the years, aside from the $5-Randall's-old-NEZ seats, that's how the Texas home ticket prices rose from $10-$12 in the 70s-80s to eventually what we have today. 

3 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

That shit started in the SWC -- when Bellmont noticed that conference members doing that for the Texas road games, they reciprocated for those next home game with whoever did it.  At least some of the Big12 members have done the same shit for the Texas road games--more of that this year, too.

I saw $4 for a Cougar High game ticket for a non-Texas home game. but for the TEXAS game, the prices start at $85 per the ESPN schedule ticket link.

Over the years, aside from the $5-Randall's-old-NEZ seats, that's how the Texas home ticket prices rose from $10-$12 in the 70s-80s to eventually what we have today. 

Or we’re just a big draw?

Utah collective outfits every Ute football player with Dodge Ram

"Each Utah player will receive a truck as part of a rolling 6-month contract that will expire upon the completion of a player's eligibility or be canceled in the event of a transfer. "

https://footballscoop.com/news/utah-nil-collective-every-ute-football-player-dodge-ram-truck

There is discussion that the SEC may play nine conference games out of four team pods, with one pod being Texas, OU, TAMU and Arkansas. Those four teams alone mean a total of twelve games total among each other. There could be one of these each week. There’s your ABC 2:30 or 8:00 game. Then, each of these teams plays six more games against other SEC teams, half of which will be big names. On a weekend where TAMU plays OU and Texas plays Tennessee, and Arkansas plays Florida, there will be a lot of Texas TVs tuned to SEC games. 

Then, on Fox, the B1G will have a good slate, too. Every week, they will probably have at least one game of national interest. Then, NBC has Notre Dame. 

There will be a lot of down channel ESPN and FS1/2 for the Big 12. 

30 minutes ago, statsman said:

There is discussion that the SEC may play nine conference games out of four team pods, with one pod being Texas, OU, TAMU and Arkansas. Those four teams alone mean a total of twelve games total among each other. There could be one of these each week. There’s your ABC 2:30 or 8:00 game. Then, each of these teams plays six more games against other SEC teams, half of which will be big names. On a weekend where TAMU plays OU and Texas plays Tennessee, and Arkansas plays Florida, there will be a lot of Texas TVs tuned to SEC games. 

Then, on Fox, the B1G will have a good slate, too. Every week, they will probably have at least one game of national interest. Then, NBC has Notre Dame. 

image_2023-10-05_232333053.png.a0d1e07075a606bb2762db18a33a9f45.png

Big12 will rule #TheOcho!  Lulz.

Edited by BachelorTrek
  • Haha 1

On 10/2/2023 at 8:45 AM, statsman said:

I was just looking at StubHub. BYU at TCU (next home game for Frogs)- there are a ton of tix at $40-50 each. 

Texas at TCU? It starts at $175 each. 

TCU delivers parts of the  southwest

Fort Worth.

7 hours ago, statsman said:

Huh?

For four teams to play one another takes six games, not twelve.

Texas - OU

Texas - aggy

Texas - Arkansas

OU - aggy

OU - Arkansas

aggy - Arkansas

Or did you mean something else?

20 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Huh?

Texas - OU

Texas - aggy

Texas - Arkansas

OU - aggy

OU - Arkansas

aggy - Arkansas

No, I composed this while I was out on a jog and screwed up the math. You’re right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Scipio mentioned on his podcast that Fox had a choice of big12 games for it’s night slot but chose a mountain west matchup instead (Fresno State vs Wyoming over Baylor vs Tech or TCU vs Iowa Steak).

Smart decision. 

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Huh?

Texas - OU

Texas - aggy

Texas - Arkansas

OU - aggy

OU - Arkansas

aggy - Arkansas

Yes it is the 3+6 thing. 3 permanent rivals and then you cycle the other 6 home/away to pick up the entire other 12 schools every 4 years.

Of course adding FSU/Clemson blows that up...

We always knew SRC skools weren't smart.

2 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Scipio mentioned on his podcast that Fox had a choice of big12 games for it’s night slot but chose a mountain west matchup instead (Fresno State vs Wyoming over Baylor vs Tech or TCU vs Iowa Steak).

BUTT Bowl 2023 ain’t worthy of prime time

Edited by Js1

Yep Yes GIF by GEICO

It's an objectively more compelling matchup with two better teams.

Fresno is the only ranked team in that group, but yes I get the general point. 

I guess at least Baylor-Tech is on the Ocho instead of FS2. 

3 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Well, they should.  TCU and us both suck, and Fresno is ranked and Wyoming played Texas better than Bama did.

Edited by Al_4_ISU