Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

19 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Still upset?   It’s been 6 hours since your initial salvo.  Maybe you and Stache can do something better with your time?  I’d be on the cincy barecarts board if I were you.  

seriously when will you get over it?  Hopefully before harvest season

You guys (you guys meaning a small handful of posters) are the ones who keep dredging it up and whining.  2 of the threads I follow had rage posts this morning about comments from the Iowa State AD that were literally echoing comments made by posters here since the day you announced you were leaving.  I didn't post Jamie Pollard's comment.  I wasn't firing shade.  I just pointed out how hypocritical the responding butt hurt was, because there were multiple posts taking shots at my school.

Is there a good Cincy board that discusses a broad range of topics, has a well developed community of people from all over the world with differing view points coming together to discuss them?  I'd be down.  I don't pollute Texas sports threads or SEC threads or sports threads that have nothing to do with my interests.  A thread about the Big 12 going forward and a thread about Iowa State are fairly pertinent to my interests.

I don't have a grudge against Texas for leaving.  The paycheck and exposure are bigger than you'd ever get here.  I get that.  But this insistence on gratitude is A) silly and B) something you're never going to get from your new conference mates either.  Get over that.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You guys (you guys meaning a small handful of posters) are the ones who keep dredging it up and whining.  2 of the threads I follow had rage posts this morning about comments from the Iowa State AD that were literally echoing comments made by posters here since the day you announced you were leaving.  I didn't post Jamie Pollard's comment.  I wasn't firing shade.  I just pointed out how hypocritical the responding butt hurt was, because there were multiple posts taking shots at my school.

Is there a good Cincy board that discusses a broad range of topics, has a well developed community of people from all over the world with differing view points coming together to discuss them?  I'd be down.  I don't pollute Texas sports threads or SEC threads or sports threads that have nothing to do with my interests.  A thread about the Big 12 going forward and a thread about Iowa State are fairly pertinent to my interests.

I don't have a grudge against Texas for leaving.  The paycheck and exposure are bigger than you'd ever get here.  I get that.  But this insistence on gratitude is A) silly and B) something you're never going to get from your new conference mates either.  Get over that.

We're knowingly joining a conference where we are just one of the guys and we're overjoyed about it.  Most of us are anyway.  

Nobody is insisting shit.  But you, a couple of BYU and Okie st guys continue to litter this thread with backhanded shots at Texas.  Get over it.  And don't deny you didn't  Your last post referencing SCAR bending the knee is that exactly.

You're angry, you're upset, you feel jilted, yes I get it.  But if it weren't for us and USC, you'd be out of the Power 5.  Do we need your thanks?  Nah, we're happy to leave and be done with you.  But as long as your on a Texas board, at least pretend we're not pieces of shits?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

We're knowingly joining a conference where we are just one of the guys and we're overjoyed about it.  Most of us are anyway.  

Nobody is insisting shit.  But you, a couple of BYU and Okie st guys continue to litter this thread with backhanded shots at Texas.  Get over it.  And don't deny you didn't  Your last post referencing SCAR bending the knee is that exactly.

You're angry, you're upset, you feel jilted, yes I get it.  But if it weren't for us and USC, you'd be out of the Power 5.  Do we need your thanks?  Nah, we're happy to leave and be done with you.  But as long as your on a Texas board, at least pretend we're not pieces of shits?

It's not a back handed shot at Texas, it's a very open handed shot at the posters who whine about leeches and gratitude.

I'm not conflating those people with the entire community/university/administration/etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Don't need gratitude, but I seem to remember your panties all in a wad when it was announced we were leaving, and acting as if Texas owed your school something. 

We were definitely pissed at the time.  No denying that.  Figured we'd be getting bounced.  If we knew that day what the future arrangement would look like, I think it would have been a much more amicable separation.  There's probably no way for conference realignment to actually be conducted in that manner, but if you could go back in time and have ESPN, Fox, OU, and UT sitting down the Remaining 8 and saying "hey, they're going to the SEC, but we're gonna toss the 4 best G5s in here and give you guys a $50M/year TV contract and access to the expanded playoffs" the Remaining 8 would have said "thanks and good luck in the SEC!"  Obviously there's no way to do that IRL, and it all goes down with a level of shock and surprise that begets anger.

Now that things have sorted, I think it's worked out pretty well for everyone, and I really don't have any ill will towards Texas or OU.  Not the way I do with Nebraska, that's for sure.

I think what's never fully translated is that at the end of the day, our anger was less about schools like Texas and OU wanting to partner with schools like Bama, Georgia, and LSU and more about how schools like Mississippi State and Purdue get to keep riding the gravy train despite not doing a damn thing more than the rest of us. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We were definitely pissed at the time.  No denying that.  Figured we'd be getting bounced.  If we knew that day what the future arrangement would look like, I think it would have been a much more amicable separation.  There's probably no way for conference realignment to actually be conducted in that manner, but if you could go back in time and have ESPN, Fox, OU, and UT sitting down the Remaining 8 and saying "hey, they're going to the SEC, but we're gonna toss the 4 best G5s in here and give you guys a $50M/year TV contract and access to the expanded playoffs" the Remaining 8 would have said "thanks and good luck in the SEC!"  Obviously there's no way to do that IRL, and it all goes down with a level of shock and surprise that begets anger.

Now that things have sorted, I think it's worked out pretty well for everyone, and I really don't have any ill will towards Texas or OU.  Not the way I do with Nebraska, that's for sure.

I think what's never fully translated is that at the end of the day, our anger was less about schools like Texas and OU wanting to partner with schools like Bama, Georgia, and LSU and more about how schools like Mississippi State and Purdue get to keep riding the gravy train despite not doing a damn thing more than the rest of us. 

So you were just upset your gravy train could be ending? Got it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Whoah… them’s fightin’ words! Best not go there. 
(Some of my cousins are farmers in Iowa)

Hell yes! I own part of a farm in Iowa and receive a check every year. I would put our corn up against a dirty bugeater's any day.

Stop with the corn smack, assholes!

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's not a back handed shot at Texas, it's a very open handed shot at the posters who whine about leeches and gratitude.

I'm not conflating those people with the entire community/university/administration/etc.

But they're only responding to your AD and your posts.  Can they be a bit more diplomatic?  Sure.  But we've carried this conference for 25 years, and admittedly, there's some self-interest there, we could've left, but Deloss wanted that network.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My buddy did, and I was trying to guide him there.  As I was yelling profanities at him over the phone for not being able to see the giant fucking tacklebox with nothing else around it, some old dude came up to me, tried to grab my shirt and started screaming at how "we don't talk like that in front of women in Texas" or something to that effect.  The people with him quickly pulled him away and as the rest of my buddies and I stood around somewhat stunned, some Aggies our age ran up to us and said "do you guys know who just chewed you out?  That was RC Slocum!"

They recognized him on the big screen later in the game for some accomplishment of one of his teams, and sure enough they weren't kidding.  Same guy.

Slocum didn’t talk in front of women in Texas that way.

He just told them to lift their skirts and bend over on his desk.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

33 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I just pointed out how hypocritical the responding butt hurt was, because there were multiple posts taking shots at my school.

I don't expect gratitude. Indifference is quite acceptable. The vitriol is what I don't understand. There is no reason for it. We certainly didn't ever do anything to damage Iowa State.

I won't disparage your school because I respect it. I think Iowa State has a lot of disadvantages compared to some other schools in the conference, yet y'all bettered yourselves and took advantages of opportunities. Your ROI on that front is better than ours, at least in football. I respect that.

Your football program was a dumpster fire for a long time, but you weren't content to be a bottom feeder. I hope y'all dominate the new Big 12. As you said above, our interests won't really conflict with each other moving forward, so there is no reason to be bitter.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Tex Pete said:

I don't expect gratitude. Indifference is quite acceptable. The vitriol is what I don't understand. There is no reason for it. We certainly didn't ever do anything to damage Iowa State.

I won't disparage your school because I respect it. I think Iowa State has a lot of disadvantages compared to some other schools in the conference, yet y'all bettered yourselves and took advantages of opportunities. Your ROI on that front is better than ours, at least in football. I respect that.

Your football program was a dumpster fire for a long time, but you weren't content to be a bottom feeder. I hope y'all dominate the new Big 12. As you said above, our interests won't really conflict with each other moving forward, so there is no reason to be bitter.

I don't have vitriol for your school.  What vitriol are you referring to?  I don't think our AD was all that full of vitriol in the full clip either.

Being annoyed with playing on the LHN isn't vitriol towards UT, IMO.  But I suppose reasonable folks can disagree on that.

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

So you were just upset your gravy train could be ending? Got it. 

No.  We're fine earning our way, which the post you quoted made quite clear.  The $50M is our non-UT/OU value.  Seems like a fair price.

It was the potential of relegation.  It's always been the potential of relegation that made us wound up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Sorry bruh, life/business/conference realignment ain't fair, moose out front should have told ya...

17 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No.  We're fine earning our way, which the post you quoted made quite clear.  The $50M is our non-UT/OU value.  Seems like a fair price.

It was the potential of relegation.  It's always been the potential of relegation that made us wound up. 

Yeah, once the playoffs expanded to 12 and the Big 12 was most likely assured their champ would have a spot at the table (barring something really crazy like an unranked champion), I was no longer concerned about relegation.  The TV deal calmed my remaining fears.  A playoff spot and linear TV.  You can recruit to that. 

In the end, the money and exposure is all about one thing:  getting recruits and good coaches.  And it should go without saying that a Big 12 school could even sell recruits and coaches on the idea that the path to the playoffs is a little less harrowing than in the SEC and BIG.

I'm good with where we are.  Wouldn't mind adding the 4 corner schools to help entrench the conference in this position a little further.

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Yeah, once the playoffs expanded to 12 and the Big 12 was most likely assured their champ would have a spot at the table (barring something really crazy like an unranked champion), I was no longer concerned about relegation.  The TV deal calmed my remaining fears.  A playoff spot and linear TV.  You can recruit to that. 

In the end, the money and exposure is all about one thing:  getting recruits and good coaches.  And it should go without saying that a Big 12 school could even sell recruits and coaches on the idea that the path to the playoffs is a little less harrowing than in the SEC and BIG.

I'm good with where we are.  Wouldn't mind adding the 4 corner schools to help entrench the conference in this position a little further.

Yup.  All of this.  100% cosigned.

• Like 1

Ultimately, I think the combination of Texas to the SEC, moving to NIL, and expanding the playoff field to 12 teams is good for almost everybody errbody from the old 12:

1. Athletes may be better compensated for their talents and efforts.

2. Texas leverages the wealth of its donor base to support our recruiting, and sponsors have more avenues.

3. Texas and SEC both improve their TV revenue situations in the marriage.

4. Texas is still virtually guaranteed a playoff berth and chance at redemption in seasons marred by one frustrating loss. Finishing in the top 3 in the SEC is basically an autobid, and 4th still looks not-bad.

5. The Big 12 remnants will have a clear path to the playoffs that does not require beating a single traditional power.

6. Sadly for teams that benefitted from the limited policing of under-the-table money previously, not everyone can be a winner in this. Boo hoo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Ultimately, I think the combination of Texas to the SEC, moving to NIL, and expanding the playoff field to 12 teams is good for almost everybody errbody from the old 12:

1. Athletes may be better compensated for their talents and efforts.

2. Texas leverages the wealth of its donor base to support our recruiting, and sponsors have more avenues.

3. Texas and SEC both improve their TV revenue situations in the marriage.

4. Texas is still virtually guaranteed a playoff berth and chance at redemption in seasons marred by one frustrating loss. Finishing in the top 3 in the SEC is basically an autobid, and 4th still looks not-bad.

5. The Big 12 remnants will have a clear path to the playoffs that does not require beating a single traditional power.

6. Sadly for teams that benefitted from the limited policing of under-the-table money previously, not everyone can be a winner in this. Boo hoo.

Pretty much agree with all of this, but I think #4 would have been true regardless of Texas's conference affiliation.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Just like Texas, Surly also dominates in its spectrum of power & influence.  It is good to be the King. 

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

How was I taking shots at Texas?     

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

It's not a shot at Texas, it's pushback to the constant "leeches" and "gravy train" trope. I think we're good here. We're speaking different languages. You see vitriol, we see pushback to "leeches" talk. This is a Texas board, so it is what it is, I like this place, including the non-sports stuff. Our football series is over, and we both still hate ou. That will always be true. BTW, the OSU boards have taken to calling ou UTN (UT-Norman), the idea being that they are bitches and followers. We know its about the money, but it's fun because fuck ou.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It's not a shot at Texas, it's pushback to the constant "leeches" and "gravy train" trope. I think we're good here. We're speaking different languages. You see vitriol, we see pushback to "leeches" talk. This is a Texas board, so it is what it is, I like this place, including the non-sports stuff. Our football series is over, and we both still hate ou. That will always be true. BTW, the OSU boards have taken to calling ou UTN (UT-Norman), the idea being that they are bitches and followers. We know its about the money, but it's fun because fuck ou.

So what OSU boards would you recommend?

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My buddy did, and I was trying to guide him there.  As I was yelling profanities at him over the phone for not being able to see the giant fucking tacklebox with nothing else around it, some old dude came up to me, tried to grab my shirt and started screaming at how "we don't talk like that in front of women in Texas" or something to that effect.  The people with him quickly pulled him away and as the rest of my buddies and I stood around somewhat stunned, some Aggies our age ran up to us and said "do you guys know who just chewed you out?  That was RC Slocum!"

They recognized him on the big screen later in the game for some accomplishment of one of his teams, and sure enough they weren't kidding.  Same guy.

So this was case where R.C. DID offer…to KICK YOUR ASS!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

Which is cleverly ironic, because it's actually kind of true. There are so many kids from Dallas that end up at OU because they don't get into Texas.

Old Big 12: "I'm no longer slinging vitriol because we will be taken care of and everything is good now. I don't think you should accuse me, Al/Big 12, of vitriol. You see, I take it back now because I found out later we are going to be okay! If we weren't going to be okay, well, FUCK YOU!!! IT'S YOUR FAULT!! But you need to stop abusing us Texas. GROW UP! HYPOCRITE! Even though UT was just responding to our temper tantrum, we didn't mean it because we now know we are going to be just fine! Please stop responding to us when we throw out vitriol. Only we get to do that. YOU'RE A HYPOCRITE TEXAS!"

This is one of the few reasons we are leaving this conference. When you blame someone else for your own problems instead of looking in the mirror, it finally just becomes too much of a distraction. When you have multiple personality disorder, it's not a healthy environment. We have to concede everything to the Big 12 or you run to the media and spread a bunch of fucking lies. It's been happening for 25 years! 

There was so much vitriol by the other members of the Big 12. Efforts to gang up on mean ol' Texas! Everything is always UT's fault! When you get your way, it's all good. When something goes UT's way...OMG, BULLSHIT!! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! 

Whether you got a seat at the table or not has nothing to do with whether you should be here blaming Texas. You don't get to take back your previous actions. If you would have been relegated, you would be on here blaming Texas when we did nothing to you. And many of us here told you people (especially Al) that you would have a seat at the table and yet you kept whining and crying like a little child. And then you come here and blame us for calling YOU out for your behavior. On a TEXAS board.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

aggie_deliverance.gif

14 hours ago, Vertigo said:

The simple truth is that the economics models were never compatible. When Texas/OU made moves that were right for them, everyone else complained about it because it had such ripple effects on the rest of the conference. Our viewership was outsized, our revenue was outsized, and then everyone got pissy about us wanting a bigger piece of the pie. Fine, I get it (and yes, Deloss was a real dick about it). But now we are entering a conference where the economics are more evenly distributed across a number of other brands, so not everything is about what we are doing. Quite frankly, that is refreshing. We have been villainized for everything in this conference when the rest of the schools literally sat on their asses and did nothing for two decades except complain about what we were doing to further our brand. 

This pretty much sums it up for me too. 

9 hours ago, Royale with cheese said:

You sound like a good dude. I don't know you, of course, but I'm familiar with your history as a measured, responsible Surly poster. I, for one, hope you stick around after this last B-12 season.

I love the non-sports boards.  If there’s any CFB in general or Big 12 threads I’ll probably post in those.

10 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Just to be crystal fucking clear. The Big 12 (not Texas or Oklahoma) invited cougar high, magic underwear, and whoever else to join this conference EARLY.

Any fucking pain in the ass bullshit they are going through is 100% their fucking fault, not Texas or Oklahoma.

FOX didn’t want to let Texas/Oklahoma go, maybe you negotiate that shit BEFORE you invite more people to the fucking table. Go cry me a fucking river.

Also Texas owns its third tier rights and can do what is pleases because they AGREED TO EQUAL REVENUE SHARING, you know that windfall of money from the checks you’ve been cashing for over a decade.

Meh.  Those 4 are so ugly they're just happy to get an invite anywhere.  They will bend the proverbial knobby knee.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I love the non-sports boards.  If there’s any CFB in general or Big 12 threads I’ll probably post in those.

Al will find a way to stick around, even if we need to make a dedicated Big12-2-2+2-2+4 thread for him.

I have a hard time hating on ISU too much longterm because past history shows that the B12 will fuck them at random anyways. Will be more interesting is what does OSU become without big brother? Do they become a solid member and help lead the conference forward or do they become aggy and obsess over the loss of big brother like an obsessed jilted lover.

Kathy Bates Kiss GIF

There is no dynamic anywhere like aggy. We’re on solid ground. Our fans will still talk shit to them and they’ll still talk down to us, and we’ll laugh because 90% of them are GED candidates who probably couldn’t point to Norman on a map. Our administrators are grown ups and we’ll probably still play each other in most sports, just not football, at least not for a while. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

There is no dynamic anywhere like aggy. We’re on solid ground. Our fans will still talk shit to them and they’ll still talk down to us, and we’ll laugh because 90% of them are GED candidates who probably couldn’t point to Norman on a map. Our administrators are grown ups and we’ll probably still play each other in most sports, just not football, at least not for a while. 

Oklahoma aggy

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Corn aggy

18 hours ago, Creasy Bear said:

Just like Texas, Surly also dominates in its spectrum of power & influence.  It is good to be the King. 

The King of Power and Influence?  At least we have that in addition to a bunch of Alamo Bowl appearances, NCAA Tournament first weekend exits and monthly payments to failed coaches in the revenue sports.  3 regular season (none since 2008) and 1 tournament basketball conference titles and 3 football conference titles (none since 2009) in 25 years.  We really owned this conference.  Keep jerking off to the revenue table and other people's money though.  Truly aggy-level coping.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2