Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

I can’t in good conscience support OU winning anything at any time. However, if OU were somehow to backdoor their way into a Texas-OU Big 12 Championship game on the way out of the conference, I think the angst and embarrassment it would cause the Big 12, coupled with beating them twice in one season, wouldn’t be awful. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

Not like we don’t have a winning record vs them in their stadium.

Texas’ record on their own field is about the same as that juggernaut’s conference winning percentage, regardless of conference. 

As well as they think they do against their conference world, that’s what Texas does to them on their own field. 

Just recall how easy it was for aggy to leave the B12 with the members letting them go so easily.  And how easy it was for the SEC to threaten them into voting to let Texas into the SEC.  Now think about how annoying it has been for Texas to unsaddle itself from other Texas schools and to leave the conference and how shitty state politicians were trying to sue.    

And those morons still think we are on par.

Edited by Nivek
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It wasn't long ago that he was tweeting about how LSU was now their main rival and that they would never give up that Thanksgiving weekend game

As recently as wednesday he was making definitive statements that we would be stuck until 2025 and that all our guys would be hitting the portal as soon as they realized they weren't going to be playing SEC ball. 

Edited by ultimaton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I don't really understand why they are demanding that the first game be at Kyle.  Its as if they think there will be another decade long break between games. The seem to ignore that they would have to make the return trip to Austin the very next year where they will likely get beat handily.   They things that they obsess over is always so trivial.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I can’t in good conscience support OU winning anything at any time. However, if OU were somehow to backdoor their way into a Texas-OU Big 12 Championship game on the way out of the conference, I think the angst and embarrassment it would cause the Big 12, coupled with beating them twice in one season, wouldn’t be awful. 

We won the last SW Conference Championship and the first Big 12 Championship... would be nice to win our last Big 12 as well... and maybe our first SEC???? 😬

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Delta Charlie said:

I don't really understand why they are demanding that the first game be at Kyle.  Its as if they think there will be another decade long break between games. The seem to ignore that they would have to make the return trip to Austin the very next year where they will likely get beat handily.   They things that they obsess over is always so trivial.

Yeah, seems like the first game should be at DKR Memorial since the last game was at aggyland...

For those with shitty memories... Texas vs. Texas A&M - College Football Game Recap - November 24, 2011 | ESPN

55 minutes ago, Delta Charlie said:

They things that they obsess over is always so trivial.

Yes, for them it is more important to have a huge diploma mill than to provide a good education. It's more important to have a lot of seats in a pile of shit stadium than to have a nice stadium. It's more important to have a highly rated recruiting class full of mercenaries than to actually win games. It's more important to play a self-proclaimed super tough schedule than to play an actually tough schedule. It's more important to win games against FCS schools than to win games against P5 schools just to say they won a game. It's more important to say you're the richest public school than to actually be the richest public school.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I think banning FCS opponents and requiring that everyone play at least 1 P5+ND opponents would be good enough. Sure, you’ll have some that try to schedule Rutgers, Kansas, and Duke but at least set the floor and don’t let teams completely phone it in by filling up with FCS, CUSA, and MAC teams.

Texas can play 1 P5 team, Rice/UTSA/UTEP, and another rando G5 team like ULL, Wyoming, or FIU and have a fairly strong schedule.

Or how about let other teams play who they want OOC and not worry about it. Bama's playing the Carolina College for Amputee Klutzes has not made them an unworthy opponent for us. Let's schedule good teams and enjoy beating them and mind our own business.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Yes, for them it is more important to have a huge diploma mill than to provide a good education. It's more important to have a lot of seats in a pile of shit stadium than to have a nice stadium. It's more important to have a highly rated recruiting class full of mercenaries than to actually win games. It's more important to play a self-proclaimed super tough schedule than to play an actually tough schedule. It's more important to win games against FCS schools than to win games against P5 schools just to say they won a game. It's more important to say you're the richest public school than to actually be the richest public school.

You forgot to add their need for an expensive football coach rather than a competent football coach...

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Delta Charlie said:

When you don't have year-end trophies, you try to find victories wherever and whenever you can. That's why the recruiting rankings, mid-season polls, beating Bama even if you lose all other games, etc. are so important to Aggy. Without these small "wins" they have got nothing.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Like 1

This idea that our SEC schedule will be any more difficult than our Big 12 schedule is silly.  They are objectively the same.  SEC-West is tougher than SEC-East, so the best East teams benefit from not having to face a complete round robin schedule, but other than that, the two conferences are essentially equal.

I am going to hate the "SEC SEC SEC" shit that is to come.  Gah.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This idea that our SEC schedule will be any more difficult than our Big 12 schedule is silly.  They are objectively the same.  SEC-West is tougher than SEC-East, so the best East teams benefit from not having to face a complete round robin schedule, but other than that, the two conferences are essentially equal.

Disagree. We are going to essentially be adding 3 or more OU level games to our schedule. Bama and LSU are usually up, and then you will have to deal with the barking aggy and Arkansas. Make no mistake, our current conference schedule is only hard because we have been down for the last decade. In a normal world, we are blowing Baylor, TCU, Tech, etc off the field. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm going to laugh so hard if we come in win the SEC in the first year. Not saying it is going to happen, but it will break aggy brains if we come straight from the BDF and and win immediately.

They will just say the SEC is down and it wasn’t as hard as what they had to deal with for the last 12 years.    Never under estimate their ability to cope.  

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

They will just say the SEC is down and it wasn’t as hard as what they had to deal with for the last 12 years.    Never under estimate their ability to cope.  

They’ve already started with the idea that the sec will be diluted from adding TEXAS AND OKLAHOMA so any success we have is inherently due to an easier path than they dealt with. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

28 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They’ve already started with the idea that the sec will be diluted from adding TEXAS AND OKLAHOMA so any success we have is inherently due to an easier path than they dealt with. 

Them saying that reinforces that they are highly regarded...in a manner of speaking.  😉

38 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

TCU literally just played in the national championship game.  Big 12 fans are like battered wives.

In a year where literally every bounce went their way and they barely escaped a high number of their games. Then they played a horrible Michigan team, followed by an embarrassing exposure on the brightest stage that they never belonged there in the first place. 

Are we going to have to play Tech for a certain number of times when we get to the SEC? I remember it was big news here in Lubbock soon after the announcement that Kirby Hocutt said on the local news that Tech had a deal with Texas to play annually foe an OOC game. Was that all wishful thinking for Hocutt, or is there anything to that?

48 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The past few years, the SEC has started to hire better coaches compared to even ten years ago. If you add a 9th conference game and eliminate the end of year cupcake to go along with 2 more bluebloods (Texas/OU), the SEC schedule will be very tough. It will be far and away the most difficult conference schedule in America. 

B1G still has too much deadweight.

1 minute ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Are we going to have to play Tech for a certain number of times when we get to the SEC? I remember it was big news here in Lubbock soon after the announcement that Kirby Hocutt said on the local news that Tech had a deal with Texas to play annually foe an OOC game. Was that all wishful thinking for Hocutt, or is there anything to that?

Nope. Those B12 OOC foes were a way to placate the butthurt politicians in the legislature that would try and block the move. Once they lined up and took a pound of flesh for 4 hours on Hartzell, I think that idea was put to bed. The B12 was made whole by the exit fee, there is no additional promise to play in the future.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Nope. Those B12 OOC foes were a way to placate the butthurt politicians in the legislature that would try and block the move. Once they lined up and took a pound of flesh for 4 hours on Hartzell, I think that idea was put to bed. The B12 was made whole by the exit fee, there is no additional promise to play in the future.  

Sounds good. Thanks!

2 hours ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

The fact that tech folks did this last fall should tell you all you need to know about that “deal”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

No