New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

47 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

So if we are at aggy and Arkansas. 2024 we are “away” for OU. That’s almost the entire away slate for conference.

It also sucks because unless we play them home or away twice, they'll both either be home or away games every year.  I'd prefer to have one of them home and one of them away each year.

• Hook 'Em 3

It's not Akers/Broyles Fayettenam anymore.  The 412 Turnpike, I-540, XNA and the rise of Wal-Mart in the last 30 years have transformed Northwest Arkansas.
500k+ live there now.  4-story buildings with all of the big corporate names dot the landscape.  All the national chains present.
In the 90s fog at Drake field (the old airport in use in '69 on the south side of Fayetteville with crappy ILS approaches both directions) still required a diversion to Ft. Smith and a 2-hour bus ride up the old US-71 2-lane road.  Today, XNA sits up on a plateau west of town with nonstop flights to all the hubs on mainline metal. 
Today, tons of Dallas kids who want the out-of-state experience are choosing Pig over Klan because it's only 5 hours away (at ticketing speed).
It will still be a rivalry but Starkville and Auburn will replace Fayetteville on the Deliverance calendar.
A long drive from Austin and Houston, but from Dallas, a 2pm kick is potentially a day trip with multiple drivers.

It’s a large evangelical fundamentalist suburb without an urban core and surrounded by good ‘ol third word southern poverty - hence the reference to a bus ride.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Most people aren’t on college football message boards or Twitter

I mean common sense says it gets leaked on other forms of the internet or mass mediums not named Twitter or specific college teams message boards. 

34 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Most kids go to out of state STATE schools because they cant get into Texas or aggy

kids from texas dont willingly go to lsu or arky, jfc

Lots of Texas kids are going to the sec state schools, including arky. They are getting huge financial incentives to do so. 

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Seeing the back end of that conference schedule, I definitely understand if we schedule FCS opponent between Florida/Georgia or Georgia/Aggie

Colorado St - Home
Michigan - Away
UTSA - Home
Arkansas - Away
Miss State - Home
Mizzou - Away
OU - Neutral
LSU - Away
Florida - Home
Georgia - Home
A&M - Away

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

Colorado St - Home
Michigan - Away
UTSA - Home
Arkansas - Away
Miss State - Home
Mizzou - Away
OU - Neutral
LSU - Away
Florida - Home
Georgia - Home
A&M - Away

I'm okay playing Arky and aggy away/home both games if they're bookends every season.

Open with Arky, end with aggy on Thanksgiving. They're just bread for the OU/LSU/UF/UGA meat most years, anyway.

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Seeing the back end of that conference schedule, I definitely understand if we schedule FCS opponent between Florida/Georgia or Georgia/Aggie

Colorado St - Home
Michigan - Away
UTSA - Home
Arkansas - Away
Miss State - Home
Mizzou - Away
OU - Neutral
LSU - Away
Florida - Home
Georgia - Home
A&M - Away

So far, that leaves OU with

Temple

Tulane

Texas

Tenn

S. Carolina

Kentucky

Vanderbilt

Alabama

Ole Miss

Auburn

Edited by pacman

26 minutes ago, The Dog said:

(take with a grain of salt - this technically gives us 5 road games and 3 home games since we're the "road" team in Dallas). Likely one of the road games is wrong.

Yeah I see possibly swapping out the Away Mizzou and us getting Vandy/S.Carolina at home instead and rest looking right.

25 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Colorado St - Home
Michigan - Away
UTSA - Home
Arkansas - Away
Miss State - Home
Mizzou - Away
OU - Neutral
LSU - Away
Florida - Home
Georgia - Home
A&M - Away

Back end?

We are just getting opponents and home/away today. They aren’t going to be in order based on what is being stated.

8 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Craig Way just said on the radio that he was told we already have the 4th OOC opponent lined up and it's not an FCS school.

Isn't Sam Houston St moving to FBS in 2023? 

Nvm just checked. they have 4 OOC opponents for 2024 already.

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Back end?

We are just getting opponents and home/away today. They aren’t going to be in order based on what is being stated.

I'm not sure how SEC plans to do it for 2024 with our addition and OU. Last year they released the schedule with dates in September. They've presumptively been working on scheduling for 6 months or more so I don't see why they just wouldn't release full schedule with dates.

This is how they released it last year:

https://www.secsports.com/article/34632093/sec-releases-2023-football-schedule

4 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

They are moving up in two weeks on the 1st of July. But Sams 2024 OOC currently has at Rice, at UCF, and vs Hawaii. I am sure they would nuke the Rice game in a heartbeat

Jacksonville St is also moving to FBS, they only have 3 opponents for 2024.

It would be pretty cool to schedule one of the military academies. 

image.png.bd8b8b072b57395c7d08721414a266a9.png

Some late November potential

UCONN has middle November potential as well for 2024

8 games with 1 permanent rival.

that leaves 7 games against the remaining 14 teams?

So you play the entire league every 2 years and you get every team at home over the course of 4 years?

It just sucks that rivalries like Georgia -Auburn, us and A&M, us ans Arky, and Tenn- Bama aren’t going to be an every year thing. Seems like a short sighted strategy IMO. 
Yup Thats Right GIF by Katelyn Tarver

2 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

So you play the entire league every 2 years and you get every team at home over the course of 4 years?

It just sucks that rivalries like Georgia -Auburn, us and A&M, us ans Arky, and Tenn- Bama aren’t going to be an every year thing. Seems like a short sighted strategy IMO. 

This is going to (most likely) change. 2024 seems to be a standalone season for scheduling in the SEC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Craig Way just said on the radio that he was told we already have the 4th OOC opponent lined up and it's not an FCS school.

How very non-SEC of us.

I like it.

7 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

This is, at the moment, only a 1-year setup.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

I'm okay playing Arky and aggy away/home both games if they're bookends every season.

Open with Arky, end with aggy on Thanksgiving. They're just bread for the OU/LSU/UF/UGA meat most years, anyway.

I wouldn't count on them moving LSU/Aggy off of Thanksgiving weekend.  

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

That's the way it was back in the SWC days.  Arkansas was always pretty early in the season.

Whatever the SEC does, several things can be certain:

-Alabama will dodge the tough teams when they're really good or, at a minimum, get them at home.

-Georgia will get a bunch of cupcakes every year.

-Whatever years Texas has its best roster, it'll get Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State (OOC), Michigan, etc. - all on the road.

xD

• Haha 1