Rockets vs Warriors

UDontKnow

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think one thing to consider and this is to Houston's benefit is both Klay and KD are coming in shooting like shit from 3.  KD shot 32.1% in the Cans series.  Klay was 27.9%.  Other than games 1 and 2 of the Spurs series where Klay was crazy hot, both have struggled with their long distance shot these playoffs.  Shaun Livingston is playing some shitty ball coming in.  Nick Young is a ghost.  Zaza has fallen out of the rotation, McGee has seen his minutes severely limited.  West is still a rock for 12-14 minutes but the Warriors bench is really searching for contributions.  They're relying on guys like Quinn Cook and Kevin Looney.  Guys with no playoff experience.  As expected when you have 4 superstars, the bench looks to be getting thin.  They're fine for the regular season, but as Toronto and Portland showed, the post-season is a different animal.  Coming in.... the bench looks to be an advantage to the Rockets.

Harden shot a 40%/30% split against the Jazz, and <41% FG the whole playoffs.  That wont work against the warriors either

22 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

While the Warriors have 4 of the top 6, and really Capela is closer to that tier than he's not. The Rockets own the next tier of players in this series, and it's not close. For the Warriors to win this series, they are going to need their bench to step up a lot more than they have so far in playoffs.

I would argue that Iguodala would be the fourth best player on the rockets and he's closer to Capela than Capela is to the Warriors big 4. 

10 hours ago, uoftorange said:

So let me make sure I understand your point here.  So your opinion is that the team that just had a top 11 (and before the last 10 games of the season was top 5 and at one point number 1 and still less than 1 point off first) offensive efficiency rating of all time doesn't run an offense?  Really?  

While it's not a typical offense or one you are used to seeing, it's definitely a run offense set to take advantage of mismatches and static pass out points.  One that lulls teams to sleep and then runs backdoor cuts to eat you alive as soon as you get complacent.  

What GSW runs is beautiful, it also takes tons and tons of energy and effort every single possession (except the ones they quickly jack a 3 up just like the Rockets do).  

While GSW may very well win this series, it's going to be a great one and a lot of fun to watch.  

the point is pretty damn simple, the Rockets jack up threes, if they aren't going in they'll get run the fuck off the court and we all know it because there's no other plan.

The don’t “just jack up threes”. They do have the best three point shooting role players in the NBA. They run the pick and role and exploit mismatches. When you Spread the floor and you leave open shooter or the rim. Draymond is not Gortat at the rim. He’s great but can be gotten at the rim. Capela can be huge in this series as GS has no one to match up with him. 

Befor the injury to Luc, the rockets best line up was Paul, Harden, Capela, Tucker and Luc. That defensive lineup is capable of switching everyone and playing good D on Golden State who does not have a post player who can exploit the paint when Houston is small. 

Harden hopefully will be recovered from the concussion they are not admitting to from the hard Gortat foul last Friday night in the third when the back of his head was slammed to the ground. It was obvious in the following two games. 

If you watched the regular season matchup, Houston matches up extremely well with GS and if they can somehow win the first two at home they will take the series. The role players should have a much easier time as the Jazz guard all five spots at once better than GS can and has a true rim protector that forced Harden off the glass, free throw line and limited Capela’s dunks. GS doesn’t have the personnel to do that and the Rockets offense will run much smoother than the previous two series. 

Zepol....I’ll take that bet anytime. 

The warriors have 4 of the best 6 players in the series. They aren't losing this series or any other series, barring injury. They have been bored shitless for about a year. They finally have something to be fired up about. They can pretty much score whenever they want and their defense is twice as good as the rockets. 
Throw in the historical gag reflexes of Harden, CP3 and Dantoni and I don't see how Houston wins. The only advantage Houston has is home court, which means dick. 
I would be surprised if this series goes more than 5 games. 

Keep gurgling that cum, boy.

Sent from my cock to your mouth
  • Fuck You 1

If you think that Golden State is the tenth best defense when they actually give a fuck, I have some waterfront property in Arizona to sell you.
But, you're right, the Warriors were, by far, the best defense in the league last season, and Cleveland scored almost at will against them in the Finals. Great offense beats great defense. No one is getting shut down in this series.

You’re a moron. You keep saying when they give a fuck. I promise you they give a fuck and try to win every game when they step on the court.

• Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The don’t “just jack up threes”. They do have the best three point shooting role players in the NBA. They run the pick and role and exploit mismatches. When you Spread the floor and you leave open shooter or the rim. Draymond is not Gortat at the rim. He’s great but can be gotten at the rim. Capela can be huge in this series as GS has no one to match up with him. 

Befor the injury to Luc, the rockets best line up was Paul, Harden, Capela, Tucker and Luc. That defensive lineup is capable of switching everyone and playing good D on Golden State who does not have a post player who can exploit the paint when Houston is small. 

Harden hopefully will be recovered from the concussion they are not admitting to from the hard Gortat foul last Friday night in the third when the back of his head was slammed to the ground. It was obvious in the following two games. 

If you watched the regular season matchup, Houston matches up extremely well with GS and if they can somehow win the first two at home they will take the series. The role players should have a much easier time as the Jazz guard all five spots at once better than GS can and has a true rim protector that forced Harden off the glass, free throw line and limited Capela’s dunks. GS doesn’t have the personnel to do that and the Rockets offense will run much smoother than the previous two series. 

Zepol....I’ll take that bet anytime. 

I don't mean to be a dick (okay, maybe a little), but how many playoff games does this make now that Harden has been "concussed" for?

I don't mean to be a dick (okay, maybe a little), but how many playoff games does this make now that Harden has been "concussed" for?

Are you retarded or just slow?

He’s averaging over 28 ppg in the post season this year.

Which by the way is the second most in the NBA out of players still in the playoffs.

17 minutes ago, angryhomer said:

You’re a moron. You keep saying when they give a fuck. I promise you they give a fuck and try to win every game when they step on the court.

You seem swell.

Last year, the Warriors were #1 in defensive efficiency, blocks, steals, turnovers forced, defensive 3pt%, defensive eFG%, and defensive True Shooting %. This season, with identical personnel, they're 10th. They cared about the regular season about as much as LeBron cares about January. Do you really think it's coincidence that Iggy is showing bounce and explosion for the first time all year?

But, if we're insistent on the regular season truly mattering, here are the team stats on March 9, when Steph went out for the season (except for 3 quarters of one game).

https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season&DateFrom=09%2F01%2F2017&DateTo=03%2F09%2F2018

It's going to be a great series. Like I said, if Gordon outplays Klay, they have a hell of a chance to win. That's how close the teams are. But drawing conclusions from the regular season is just dumb.

Edited by aggie08

9 minutes ago, Tommy Nobis said:

Are you retarded or just slow?

He’s averaging over 28 ppg in the post season this year.

Which by the way is the second most in the NBA out of players still in the playoffs.

He's had some great games, no doubt. And is well deserving of his MVP trophy. I expect him to ball out in this series. I just find it funny how, everytime he's had a bad game these past two postseasons, it must be a concussion...or exhaustion.

Edited by aggie08

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

4 days?  Happened Friday night in the third quarter. Harden drives, Gortat with hard foul knocking to the ground. He got up and took the FTs and we won. Next two games he looks completely lost and Paul took the lead in the first quarter of game 5 bringing the ball up from the start. He was deffering the whole game for the most part. Was shocked they didn’t take him to the locker room to check him out. Does the NBA require a concussion protocol like the NFL?

Edited by ChickenSandwich

2 hours ago, hookem48 said:

the point is pretty damn simple, the Rockets jack up threes, if they aren't going in they'll get run the fuck off the court and we all know it because there's no other plan.

So you don't know what you're talking about with the Rockets.  Cool, that's all you had to say

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

He's had some great games, no doubt. And is well deserving of his MVP trophy. I expect him to ball out in this series. I just find it funny how, everytime he's had a bad game these past two postseasons, it must be a concussion...or exhaustion.

Twice?  He banged his head really freaking hard on the ground in both the SA series last year and the Utah series this year, then immediately followed with clunkers.  Seems pretty reasonable to me.  

Now last year I don't actually think it was the problem.  This year I really do.  He was just off, not terrible, not missing by much just not sharp.  

Edited by uoftorange

Harden and CP3 are going to need to have great games every single time out to have a chance. Harden can't have off nights like he has so far. Warriors are too deep for that. They can afford an off night from one of their stars as they have others who can step in and fill the void in terms of scoring. Houston does not have that luxury. 

Houston pretty much needs to go to Oakland up 2-0 or they are in trouble. If it's 1-1, I see GSW winning both at home to make it 3-1. Then most likely win at home in 6.

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

........The role players should have a much easier time as the Jazz guard all five spots at once better than GS can and has a true rim protector that forced Harden off the glass, free throw line and limited Capela’s dunks. GS doesn’t have the personnel to do that and the Rockets offense will run much smoother than the previous two series. 

I think you are under rating how great GS can be on defense (as pointed out later in the thread). IMO the Rockets will struggle mightily in the half court this series. Playing iso ball allows the defense to know exactly where they need to be and what rotations they are in. Also the warriors have a lot of length to contest shots.

In order for the Rockets to win this series they have to get the score in the 115+ range. That's not happening with a lot of half court play.

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Harden and CP3 are going to need to have great games every single time out to have a chance. Harden can't have off nights like he has so far. Warriors are too deep for that. They can afford an off night from one of their stars as they have others who can step in and fill the void in terms of scoring. Houston does not have that luxury. 

Houston pretty much needs to go to Oakland up 2-0 or they are in trouble. If it's 1-1, I see GSW winning both at home to make it 3-1. Then most likely win at home in 6.

Yup, GS has never lost when being up 3-1. 

6 hours ago, WJC88 said:

I think you are under rating how great GS can be on defense (as pointed out later in the thread). IMO the Rockets will struggle mightily in the half court this series. Playing iso ball allows the defense to know exactly where they need to be and what rotations they are in. Also the warriors have a lot of length to contest shots.

In order for the Rockets to win this series they have to get the score in the 115+ range. That's not happening with a lot of half court play.

Should be fun to watch. I disagree about the D only because  of the matchups. Houston comes close to matching length and doesn’t have a dead spot on the floor to hide a defender. Houston has been deadly in the half court all year, and the screens to force a mismatch allow them to control pace and set up the role players (this isn’t Steve Francis ISO ball). I believe that both Minny and the Jazz match up better defensively with the Rockets than GS (Butler and Gortat at two top 5 defenders).  Those teams rely on their D more so and focus on it all game, where as GS lacks elite paint D other than Green and runs hot and cold with their defensive effort.   I would say I don’t underestimate it, I just see the dedication, personnel and individual defenders on the two previous team as being more defensively inclined on defense  

Attack Durant and get him on skates  

Excite. 

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Should be fun to watch. I disagree about the D only because  of the matchups. Houston comes close to matching length and doesn’t have a dead spot on the floor to hide a defender. Houston has been deadly in the half court all year, and the screens to force a mismatch allow them to control pace and set up the role players (this isn’t Steve Francis ISO ball). I believe that both Minny and the Jazz match up better defensively with the Rockets than GS (Butler and Gortat at two top 5 defenders).  Those teams rely on their D more so and focus on it all game, where as GS lacks elite paint D other than Green and runs hot and cold with their defensive effort.   I would say I don’t underestimate it, I just see the dedication, personnel and individual defenders on the two previous team as being more defensively inclined on defense  

Excite. 

It's hard to take you seriously when you don't know the difference between Marcin Gortat and Rudy Gobert. That aside,  the Warriors have three outstanding defenders in Thompson, Green and Iguodala. Even Durant has become a very, very good defender and surprising rim protector. The only directly exploitable piece they have is Curry and he can still be a pest in the passing lanes. And they play great team defense when they are dialed in. 

Look, I fucking hate the Warriors. It pisses me off that they were even able to be in the position to sign Durant. I think it's horrible for the league. But I am not going to deny how good they are.

• Like 2

guilty on the names. 

Dont confuse listing reasons the Rockets have a better than expected chance than most are giving them  with downplaying the Warriors. They have one of the best all time offenses and the capability to do the same on the defensive side. Home court or not it would be an upset for Houston to win. 

Thompson Green and Iggy are all great defenders and Durant has improved as well, but when the rockets struggle (besides missing 3s) it’s because there is an elite rim protector to meet Harden after he takes any defender off the dribble (take your pick- unstoppable). When he can’t finish at the rim (reduced to floaters), his lobs to Capela are disrupted and he gets to the free throw line less. It also allows the perimeter defenders to stay a step closer to the shooter at the three point line. It’s why the Jazz protected the 3 point line so well with a foot less space to close out. 

The Warriors will have to play more straight up and rely on switch like the Rockets. The offense matches up well. 

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Excite. 

What in the actual fuck?  Minnesota fucking blows on defense.  They have one good defender, and a lot of hot garbage.  And, Utah, while in the argument for best defense in the league this season, is better suited against traditional offenses.  They don't want Gobert so much as stepping a toe above the free throw line, and Houston took advantage of that.  I like Gobert a lot, but he's a little overrated as a one-man defensive force in today's NBA (even though he's probably going to win DPOY in a weak field), and isn't exactly know for his mean streaks.  Capela's quickness and constant screen setting for the guards was a nightmare match-up for him.  Draymond doesn't have those same issues, obviously.  As great as Capela has become, he's a huge step down from having to handle AD in the post.

Golden State has the reigning DPOY, a guy who's made an all-defense team and is as savvy as they come (Iggy), and two versatile perimeter defenders who have both received plenty of votes for all-defense (KD and Klay).  Their weak link is a smart team defender with quick hands who has led the league in steals.  Other than Steph, they can switch across every position, and they have a bunch more 6'7"-6'10" bodies coming off the bench.  Yeah, teams don't always get their 100% effort on that end for a full 48 because of their trust in their offense (and the need to conserve some energy), but frickin' Minnesota isn't in their ballpark.

Edited by aggie08

16 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

What in the actual fuck?  Minnesota fucking blows on defense.  They have one good defender, and a lot of hot garbage.  And, Utah, while in the argument for best defense in the league this season, is better suited against traditional offenses.  They don't want Gobert so much as stepping a toe above the free throw line, and Houston took advantage of that.  I like Gobert a lot, but he's a little overrated as a one-man defensive force in today's NBA (even though he's probably going to win DPOY in a weak field), and isn't exactly know for his mean streaks.  Capela's quickness and constant screen setting for the guards was a nightmare match-up for him.  Draymond doesn't have those same issues, obviously.  As great as Capela has become, he's a huge step down from having to handle AD in the post.

Golden State has the reigning DPOY, a guy who's made an all-defense team and is as savvy as they come (Iggy), and two versatile perimeter defenders who have both received plenty of votes for all-defense (KD and Klay).  Their weak link is a smart team defender with quick hands who has led the league in steals.  Other than Steph, they can switch across every position, and they have a bunch more 6'7"-6'10" bodies coming off the bench.  Yeah, teams don't always get their 100% effort on that end for a full 48 because of their trust in their offense (and the need to conserve some energy), but frickin' Minnesota isn't in their ballpark.

I think Butler plays Harden the best in the league straight up. He’s a disruption. Like Iggy a few steps ago

bit I’m a Houston homer looking at ways we don’t lose 4 by 20

Edited by ChickenSandwich

36 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's hard to take you seriously when you don't know the difference between Marcin Gortat and Rudy Gobert. That aside,  the Warriors have three outstanding defenders in Thompson, Green and Iguodala. Even Durant has become a very, very good defender and surprising rim protector. The only directly exploitable piece they have is Curry and he can still be a pest in the passing lanes. And they play great team defense when they are dialed in. 

Look, I fucking hate the Warriors. It pisses me off that they were even able to be in the position to sign Durant. I think it's horrible for the league. But I am not going to deny how good they are.

The warriors are the worst.  

I mean best.  Sorry - autocorrect.

13 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I think Butler plays Harden the best in the league straight up. He’s a disruption. Like Iggy a few steps ago

bit I’m a Houston homer looking at ways we don’t lose 4 by 20

To be fair, all this talk about defense, and we're likely to get a bunch of 121-115 games.  Neither of these teams can be completely locked down by any defense, and you've got to think both offenses will be firing on all cylinders for this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:
3 hours ago, immortal13 said:
Get Durant on "skates"? Lulz

If they can sneak into the GS locker room and replace his shoes without anyone noticing, it would create a significant advantage. Just need Capella to create a distraction....

What about the ice under the court tho?  Surely Toyota Center hosts Disney on Ice and shit.

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2018 at 11:49 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Cholas or not Vic is right.