Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

In terms of recruiting though, it’s not just the size of the linemen in college, it’s A&M and these other SEC schools recruiting OL that are already at or above their college playing weight as juniors and seniors in HS. 

Especially when the data shows that most 1st round OL were below, and usually well below, 300 lbs in HS.

No argument.  I was responding specifically to the article stating that SEC OL had to be big to take the ---incredible pounding--- of weekly SECSEC games.*

*except for 3-4 OOC cupcakes and a D2/bye week in November.

8 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I spent the majority of my professional career in investment banking in NY and you know how many Aggies I worked with?  None. 

I worked with more people from Connecticut College and Rutgers than people from the Univeristy of Texas A&M. 

That’s just because there is no University of Texas A&M. Dumb sip fegh s.r.c birtch 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

How long does it take to recover from a meniscus injury?

Varies. Assuming no setbacks or delays, meniscus surgery falls in two buckets. Some tears are treated by trimming out the flap that has torn loose. If that’s what it was, he should be back for spring ball. A few weeks are often plenty to get over the surgery.

Some tears are repaired. Those guys are generally not allowed to put weight on the hurt leg for at least a month. Would make spring ball a bit dicey but shouldn’t affect next season.

Bottom line, a meniscus injury in January should not affect participation even in the summer, barring some bad luck.

From LonghornFrenzy, a deep dive by a TexAgs poster into why the stupid sips were overrated. I think @Huckleberry will enjoy this one.

Texas A&M and Texas Season Recap (Efficiency Matrix)
dryfly406 5:37p
So.... work has been very slow lately, and I have been filling my recent days up with extracurricular activities (mainly TexAgs, twitter, and YouTube). In doing so, I have seen many Horn's fans gloating about their bull s*** rise in the recruiting rankings, their record versus ours, claiming that they would beat us head to head, and proclaiming the SEC to be overrated. I decided to do a deep dive into the analytics of their unsubstantiated claims since I have so much ample free time at work currently. I have created 3 tabs in excel that compare and contrast data analytics that range from: 1) The SEC vs Big 12's offensive and defensive prowess of each conference 2) A&M vs Texas' statistical achievements versus their competition 3) Measuring the offensive and defensive efficiency of Texas A&M and Texas against their calendar opponents this past year. Below I took screenshots of each chart that further illustrates my points.

1) These 2 screenshot's purpose is to demonstrate that the Big 12 offenses are overrated, SEC defenses are the real deal, and Big 12 plays horrific defense.

Note that on average SEC teams pass the ball for 238 yards a game which ranks on average at 62 out of the 129 fbs teams, while Big 12 teams pass the ball for 269 yards a game which indicates that on average their teams rank 43rd out of the 129 fbs teams. The knee jerk reaction would be to say that the Big 12 offenses are far superior at airing the ball out than the SEC teams. That's not the case when you analyze how historically terrible the Big 12 secondaries are... On average, a Big 12 pass defense ranked 96th out of the 129 teams in giving up 254 pass yards a game. Meanwhile, the SEC gave up 218 yards through the air for 57th nationally. Clearly, the Big 12 passing numbers are inflated because of all time terrible defenses and not revolutionary offenses.

It's no secret that the SEC dominates at the line of scrimmage, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that the SEC leads in rushing yards a game and gives up less rushing yards a game despite elite running games week in and week out.

The SEC is just 2 spots below the Big 12 in total offense on average despite SEC defenses ranking in the top 50 nationally on average while Big 12 defenses are at 77th on average out of the 129 teams.

Lastly, SEC offenses are more efficient than Big 12 offenses because they convert their drives into more points. The SEC on average ranks among the top 50 in scoring offense while the Big 12 ranks outside at 55. Additionally, SEC defenses are limiting their opponents to minimal points with an average top 45 defense in the nation, while the Big 12 ranks at 70th in the nation in scoring defense.

Here's where the fun begin... let's talk A&M vs Texas. You will see that I highlighted both schools in each table to indicate their rank among the nation. Texas A&M ranks above Texas in every major statistical category I have underscored except for pass yards. (I wonder if Big 12 secondaries has anything to do with Corky having more passing yards than Kellen )

https://imgur.com/a/cz9vyrr

https://imgur.com/a/XbcbQ6h

2) Let's get into whether Texas actually is better than A&M (Spoiler: their not)

The first screenshot focuses on passing and rushing defense relative to their competition. You will see that both schools were similar in that they were weak against the pass and strong against the run. However, Texas A&M was better against the pass and the run. But but I was told by the t-sip twitter warriors that Texass was DBU and that they had like 7 five star DB's on their roster! It must be because the Big 12 offenses passing attacks are so elite..? Well actually no, Texas A&M faced better pass offenses than Texas did and faired better against those opponents than Texas did.

"Well when you incorporate the threat of runn/pass in the playbooks, the Big 12 has a much more sophisticated offensive philosophy." Howcome the stats don't agree with that premise? Texas's opponents averaged 9 yards more on offense (playing OU twice helps), but Texas A&M gave up about 45 yards less than sippy did defensively this year to nearly identical offenses.

"Okay, maybe you were better overall defensively this year, but Sam Ehlinger is a much better quarterback than Kellen Mond!" Again, that stats say otherwise. Kellen Mond faced on average a top 60 pass defense that only allowed 220 yards through the air week in and week out (take out NW State and it's 215 yards and top 55 pass defense). Meanwhile, Corky typically faced passing defenses that ranked at about 80 out of the 129 fbs teams and averaging about 240 pass yards allowed a game. Despite these inherent advantages that Corky enjoys in the Big 12, he only averaged 6 more passing yards a game (probably less when you account for him getting a boo boo and missing some time).

The chart that portrays the rushing stats doesn't even paint the full picture. Guys like Zach Evans and other running backs would initially scoff at their running statistics and their inability to run effectively against their competition. But, they would be completely turned off when they realize that the quarterback takes the responsibility of many of the rushing responsibilities in a Herman offense which lead to an ineffective rushing attack.

https://imgur.com/a/fBkY95V

https://imgur.com/a/cco5tJm

https://imgur.com/a/Wd46i4I

https://imgur.com/a/f02A5hj

3) The Knockout Blow. Let's compare Texas' average opponent rank among passing and rushing offense plus passing and rushing defense and their efficiency in executing among those opponents. We can then compare those numbers to Texas A&M's numbers that result from their level of execution offensively and defensively among their opponents.

First, you will note that Texas A&M faced a better pass defense, rush defense, total defense, scoring defense, passing offense, total offense, and scoring offense as it pertains to the fbs average rankings. Texas only enjoys a slight edge among the rushing attacks that they faced.

Next, you will see that Texas A&M executed offensively above average and exceeded expectations at certain statistical categories. A&M passed the ball on average of 14% more yards than each opponent typically allows, rushed the ball for 45% more yards than their opponent gave up on average, gained total yards of 27% more than their opponents allowed on average, and scored 51% more points than the opponents defense gave up on average. Defensively, A&M gave up .14% more passing yards than their opponents usually gained, stifled their opponents to 54% of the yards they typically gained on the ground, limited the opposing teams to 81% of their average total yards, and allowed just under 80% of the points their opponents typically enjoy.

The numbers above all look great in relation to your competition outside of A&M's passing defense. Can Texas exceed any of those totals against worse competition? No. Texas passed the ball on average of 8% more yards than each opponent typically allows, rushed the ball at a troubling rate of 7% less yards than their opponent typically gave up, accrued a mediocre 2% increase in total yards in relation to their opponents average yards allowed per game, and scored 10% more points than their opponents defense gave up on average. Defensively, Texas gave up 3% more passing yards than their opponents usually gained through the air, limited opposing rushing attacks to 71% of their normal rushing total, allowed 90% of the total yards their opponent typically enjoyed each game, and additionally allowed just under 80% of the points scored by their opponents on average.

In summary, Texas A&M performed better amongst tougher competition at a rate of 7% through the air, 52% on the ground, 25% total yards, and 41% points on average. Defensively, A&M performed better at a rate of 3% in passing yards allowed, 17% less rush yards, and 8% less yards. The only statistical category that Sip can hang their hat on is that they gave up 0.25% less points per game in relation to their opponent.

https://imgur.com/a/dvpNe4u

So why is the national media portraying Texas as the better team when clearly they aren't? Bias? That's for you to decide.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

From LonghornFrenzy, a deep dive by a TexAgs poster into why the stupid sips were overrated. I think @Huckleberry will enjoy this one.

Hide contents

So.... work has been very slow lately, and I have been filling my recent days up with extracurricular activities (mainly TexAgs, twitter, and YouTube). In doing so, I have seen many Horn's fans gloating about their bull s*** rise in the recruiting rankings, their record versus ours, claiming that they would beat us head to head, and proclaiming the SEC to be overrated. I decided to do a deep dive into the analytics of their unsubstantiated claims since I have so much ample free time at work currently. I have created 3 tabs in excel that compare and contrast data analytics that range from: 1) The SEC vs Big 12's offensive and defensive prowess of each conference 2) A&M vs Texas' statistical achievements versus their competition 3) Measuring the offensive and defensive efficiency of Texas A&M and Texas against their calendar opponents this past year. Below I took screenshots of each chart that further illustrates my points.

1) These 2 screenshot's purpose is to demonstrate that the Big 12 offenses are overrated, SEC defenses are the real deal, and Big 12 plays horrific defense.

Note that on average SEC teams pass the ball for 238 yards a game which ranks on average at 62 out of the 129 fbs teams, while Big 12 teams pass the ball for 269 yards a game which indicates that on average their teams rank 43rd out of the 129 fbs teams. The knee jerk reaction would be to say that the Big 12 offenses are far superior at airing the ball out than the SEC teams. That's not the case when you analyze how historically terrible the Big 12 secondaries are... On average, a Big 12 pass defense ranked 96th out of the 129 teams in giving up 254 pass yards a game. Meanwhile, the SEC gave up 218 yards through the air for 57th nationally. Clearly, the Big 12 passing numbers are inflated because of all time terrible defenses and not revolutionary offenses.

It's no secret that the SEC dominates at the line of scrimmage, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that the SEC leads in rushing yards a game and gives up less rushing yards a game despite elite running games week in and week out.

The SEC is just 2 spots below the Big 12 in total offense on average despite SEC defenses ranking in the top 50 nationally on average while Big 12 defenses are at 77th on average out of the 129 teams.

Lastly, SEC offenses are more efficient than Big 12 offenses because they convert their drives into more points. The SEC on average ranks among the top 50 in scoring offense while the Big 12 ranks outside at 55. Additionally, SEC defenses are limiting their opponents to minimal points with an average top 45 defense in the nation, while the Big 12 ranks at 70th in the nation in scoring defense.

Here's where the fun begin... let's talk A&M vs Texas. You will see that I highlighted both schools in each table to indicate their rank among the nation. Texas A&M ranks above Texas in every major statistical category I have underscored except for pass yards. (I wonder if Big 12 secondaries has anything to do with Corky having more passing yards than Kellen )

2) Let's get into whether Texas actually is better than A&M (Spoiler: their not)

The first screenshot focuses on passing and rushing defense relative to their competition. You will see that both schools were similar in that they were weak against the pass and strong against the run. However, Texas A&M was better against the pass and the run. But but I was told by the t-sip twitter warriors that Texass was DBU and that they had like 7 five star DB's on their roster! It must be because the Big 12 offenses passing attacks are so elite..? Well actually no, Texas A&M faced better pass offenses than Texas did and faired better against those opponents than Texas did.

"Well when you incorporate the threat of runn/pass in the playbooks, the Big 12 has a much more sophisticated offensive philosophy." Howcome the stats don't agree with that premise? Texas's opponents averaged 9 yards more on offense (playing OU twice helps), but Texas A&M gave up about 45 yards less than sippy did defensively this year to nearly identical offenses.

"Okay, maybe you were better overall defensively this year, but Sam Ehlinger is a much better quarterback than Kellen Mond!" Again, that stats say otherwise. Kellen Mond faced on average a top 60 pass defense that only allowed 220 yards through the air week in and week out (take out NW State and it's 215 yards and top 55 pass defense). Meanwhile, Corky typically faced passing defenses that ranked at about 80 out of the 129 fbs teams and averaging about 240 pass yards allowed a game. Despite these inherent advantages that Corky enjoys in the Big 12, he only averaged 6 more passing yards a game (probably less when you account for him getting a boo boo and missing some time).

The chart that portrays the rushing stats doesn't even paint the full picture. Guys like Zach Evans and other running backs would initially scoff at their running statistics and their inability to run effectively against their competition. But, they would be completely turned off when they realize that the quarterback takes the responsibility of many of the rushing responsibilities in a Herman offense which lead to an ineffective rushing attack.

3) The Knockout Blow. Let's compare Texas' average opponent rank among passing and rushing offense plus passing and rushing defense and their efficiency in executing among those opponents. We can then compare those numbers to Texas A&M's numbers that result from their level of execution offensively and defensively among their opponents.

First, you will note that Texas A&M faced a better pass defense, rush defense, total defense, scoring defense, passing offense, total offense, and scoring offense as it pertains to the fbs average rankings. Texas only enjoys a slight edge among the rushing attacks that they faced.

Next, you will see that Texas A&M executed offensively above average and exceeded expectations at certain statistical categories. A&M passed the ball on average of 14% more yards than each opponent typically allows, rushed the ball for 45% more yards than their opponent gave up on average, gained total yards of 27% more than their opponents allowed on average, and scored 51% more points than the opponents defense gave up on average. Defensively, A&M gave up .14% more passing yards than their opponents usually gained, stifled their opponents to 54% of the yards they typically gained on the ground, limited the opposing teams to 81% of their average total yards, and allowed just under 80% of the points their opponents typically enjoy.

The numbers above all look great in relation to your competition outside of A&M's passing defense. Can Texas exceed any of those totals against worse competition? No. Texas passed the ball on average of 8% more yards than each opponent typically allows, rushed the ball at a troubling rate of 7% less yards than their opponent typically gave up, accrued a mediocre 2% increase in total yards in relation to their opponents average yards allowed per game, and scored 10% more points than their opponents defense gave up on average. Defensively, Texas gave up 3% more passing yards than their opponents usually gained through the air, limited opposing rushing attacks to 71% of their normal rushing total, allowed 90% of the total yards their opponent typically enjoyed each game, and additionally allowed just under 80% of the points scored by their opponents on average.

In summary, Texas A&M performed better amongst tougher competition at a rate of 7% through the air, 52% on the ground, 25% total yards, and 41% points on average. Defensively, A&M performed better at a rate of 3% in passing yards allowed, 17% less rush yards, and 8% less yards. The only statistical category that Sip can hang their hat on is that they gave up 0.25% less points per game in relation to their opponent.

So why is the national media portraying Texas as the better team when clearly they aren't? Bias? That's for you to decide.

Funny.  At no point does he mention the effect of playing 3-4 FCS and G5 teams on SEC stat piles.

Spoiler alert: it makes a HUGE difference when there are 3-4 such teams on the schedule (SEC) vs just 1 (Texas).  Shadow boxing against air is one reason SEC teams looked better than they were and why people were so shocked at how they got handled in bowl games - especially the top teams.

After reading that I felt like I'd just watched a particularly sick episode of Criminal Minds.  Need a shower now.

Edited by sushihorn

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Tldr. Obsession noted 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Carefully avoiding attempts, or yards per pass, or yards after catch, and blanketing with total passing yards.  It's nice pretending all offenses are 50/50 2 dimensional.

This is a good breakdown of the biggest offensive lines. https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-10-27/college-football-top-25-reranked-average-offensive-line-weight

As it was mentioned above, I think it has more to do with the fact aggy and other SEC schools keep taking HS JRs and SRs above their playing weight in college. It's one thing to have a big OL that you produced in the weight room/training program vs adding guys like Kardell Thomas. 

Edited by texasstrong12

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Work has been slow lately=aggy degree paying off

Look, sip, when the customers come in I rent them the damn cars.  (aggy boss says I'm the best at renting the cars to the customers when they come in, too.)

When no costumers come in, who the hell am I supposed to rent a car to?  That's right, Mr smart guy, no one.

6 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

It would be interesting to track OL that are undersized vs the sloppy fat types like Thomas. 

I have no evidence to back this up at all but I'm guessing the bust rate is much higher for players that have to cut bad weight vs have to put extra weight on. 

I'm also curious if the 6'6+ fats like Shepherd, George, Coker, etc end up doing better than the 6'3 fats like EJNO, Kardale, Hines, etc

From LonghornFrenzy, a deep dive by a TexAgs poster into why the stupid sips were overrated. I think [mention=1821]Huckleberry[/mention] will enjoy this one.

I did a quantitative study of the numbers 27 and 25. I learned that 27 is bigger.
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
9 hours ago, Machinator said:
From LonghornFrenzy, a deep dive by a TexAgs poster into why the stupid sips were overrated. I think [mention=1821]Huckleberry[/mention] will enjoy this one.

Read more  

I did a quantitative study of the numbers 27 and 25. I learned that 27 is bigger.

At what level of statistical significance did you perform your hypothesis test for the comparisons of the means?

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

We have 5 out of 44 (including Shepherd), and they have 13 out of 44 (including their 2 unsigned). They whipped our asses in the 44 again! This is unacceptable! We’re going to have to think long and hard about how we can do better. 

I feel like every year Cockbreath goes out of his way to insert players that went OOS into his top 15 or so, to make himself look unbiased. Bobby fucking Wolfe, are you kidding me? Also, Grant Gunnell still sitting at 16 is fucking delightful. There's no ego at play there at all, Billy. But he can't even try to insert shit intelligently. Gunnell and Wolf, but Bragg sits at 37. Banks at 35, you'd think his lazy ass would have propped him up way higher since SEC! and aTm barely lost the kid, so Jimbo knows talent, etc. What a fucking dipshit. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I feel like every year Cockbreath goes out of his way to insert players that went OOS into his top 15 or so, to make himself look unbiased. Bobby fucking Wolfe, are you kidding me? Also, Grant Gunnell still sitting at 16 is fucking delightful. There's no ego at play there at all, Billy. But he can't even try to insert shit intelligently. Gunnell and Wolf, but Bragg sits at 37. Banks at 35, you'd think his lazy ass would have propped him up way higher since SEC! and aTm barely lost the kid, so Jimbo knows talent, etc. What a fucking dipshit. 

I have heard, from the guy who runs (under the table) the entire set of rankings at 24/7, that Bragg is actually the #2 ranked recruit in the entire nation.

20 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I saw Cornell at Yale in football back in the mid '80s. The chant of "Safety school! Safety school!" was the closest thing New England has to "Poooooor aggy!" 

My wife was an event management intern for Yale athletics about 10 years ago and she said that Yale’s level of game day trolling is top 5 in college sports. I can see it 

5 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Tyler Owens is rated a 94 on TexAgs and is not in Liucci's 44. LOL

Looch has gained hundreds of subs this month from frail-minded ags who can’t handle 247 making him a 5 star. There was no chance Looch would put Owens in his top 44. Hell, I’m surprised Looch didn’t have Texags drop Owens rating just to gain more subs, but alas, it appears Burton has more control over 247ms national rankings than Looch has over Texags’.

Edited by Burt Macklin

14 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

7 of Looch's top 10 are ags.  They are going to dominate football for the foreseeable future.   Saban should have retired.   Jimbo is going to destroy with this class.

Someone pull up his list from the last two years. I beat even last year with Texas killing it aTm still snuck in like 5 players in the top 10. 

Fuck it, I looked it up:

https://texags.com/football-recruiting/liucci-44/2018

4 of the top 10 in one of the most epic recruiting beatdowns in recent memory. I was fucking close. 

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Someone pull up his list from the last two years. I beat even last year with Texas killing it aTm still snuck in like 5 players in the top 10. 

Fuck it, I looked it up:

https://texags.com/football-recruiting/liucci-44/2018

4 of the top 10 in one of the most epic recruiting beatdowns in recent memory. I was fucking close. 

Lol Sterns at 10 and Waddle at 12

aggy R stoopid.

Idiots jizzing themselves over a top 5 class that was promised to be #1 or #2 and all it portends.  Well the Baggins had FOUR classes like that in Tallahassee in 2017 and managed a losing record.  Let that sink in: #4, #3, #3 and #6 classes got Jimbo enough talent to lose to NC State, BC and Loiusville.  Even 2012 Mack Brown was better than that!  It seems aggy may be skipping a few steps in logic if they're celebrating having 1/4th that much talent in Jimbo's hands.  LOL

• Like 2