2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

Ojomo has been balling out, so he’s behind him. Ojomo was probably the best player on the team in the spring game 

All four of Coburn, Sweat, Ojomo, and Collins will play a lot 

From Cook’s notes it also sounds like they are cross training him as DE/Edge in addition to DT. Think that really gives him a ton of upside, particularly given how some older players and NFL trainers had talked up his athleticism allowing him to do that. Could turn him into a real chess piece for PK.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Octavian said:

From Cook’s notes it also sounds like they are cross training him as DE/Edge in addition to DT. Think that really gives him a ton of upside, particularly given how some older players and NFL trainers had talked up his athleticism allowing him to do that. Could turn him into a real chess piece for PK.

PK sometimes puts athletic interior DL on the edge vs tackles who might be a little light in the britches on third down 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lots of folks surprised by this QB snap allocation news. 

Why?  Literally the only advantage Thompson has over Card is seniority.  Yeah he balled out in the bowl game, which gruntles me.  It's good to know he's got it in him.  Aside from that, pretty much everybody and everything says Card is the better prospect.  Better mechanics, better athlete, higher ceiling, more willing to take shots, which Sark wants.  Maybe the timeline is more accelerated than we anticipated, but I don't get being surprised that Card has the edge.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The only reason it's surprising to you is because you were one of the posters who were making a shitload of assumptions about the situation with zero information. All while hypocritically ripping on $9.95 reports saying they didn't really know anything.

And now you're following up with more ridiculous assumptions (Thompson not being a great fit) that will soon become facts in your mind and will later cause you to be surprised.

Rinse and repeat.

I don’t know what your referencing little whore. I’m just surprised Casey’s such a turnover machine.  He’s never shown to be that in live action outside of the spring game pick. So I’m just assuming he’s struggling in the new offensive system. Ridiculous seems a little dramatic. Don’t want to derail the thread. I’m in favor of playing the best player at every position.

Edited by CastHorn

1 minute ago, CastHorn said:

I don’t know what your referencing little whore. I’m just surprised Casey’s such a turnover machine.  He’s never shown to be that in live action. So I’m just assuming he’s struggling in the new offensive system. Ridiculous seems a little dramatic. Don’t want to derail the thread. I’m in favor of playing the best player at every position.

He’s literally only played a half. You act like he has a huge body of work

• Hook 'Em 1

Last week Neuheisel talked about QB battles on his radio show.  He said that every time he had one, he knew well before who he wanted to "win", and he arranged it so when his favorite pulled ahead at some point, he declared him the starter.  He said he always tried to make it look fair, and that the better QB had won the battle. 

I found that interesting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

I think it’s interesting how Card performed in the spring game with the 2s and such and during practice as well and still did well. While Casey has been with the 2s he’s reportedly not done well. That says a lot about this competition if true. 

It could explain the Spring game depth chart. Creating an illusion of a heated competition. 

1 hour ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I am calm but looking at your previous few posts, you were constantly putting Casey down and saying things like he hasn't shown anything on the field. That just is not true. He had a terrific bowl game and had a decent scrimmage until he threw the pick. Some guys just show up when it matters the most. I think based on his bowl game performance, he deserves to start unless he has been performing way worse than Card in the scrimmages. 

The problem with having a local product as one of our QBs is that a certain section of our fans would always prefer him over the other guy regardless of their performance. Same thing happened with Sam, and I am afraid it's already starting to happen with Card. This type of attitude will keep the out-of-state kids away from Texas.

Let Casey start and keep him in a short leash. If he doesn't perform, then you have a legitimate excuse to replace him with Card and nobody can say we give local kids preference. Unless of course Sark sees Card as the future and thinks he is ready.

You just implied that I have a bias towards Card which is not true. Nor was I constantly “putting Casey down”. Your entire line of reasoning of who to play is full of a weird combination of local politics combined with a Mack Brown “bleed for the program” mindset. Very bizarre. Another idea would be to have the two compete against each other and choose the one that performs better. It’s a provocative idea I know but it just might work. 

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

That’s unfortunate news on Casey. Its also surprising. Hudson must have had a hell of a summer. Casey may just not be a great fit or something. Does our season outlook change with a redshirt freshman? 

Maybe this is just a part of Sark taking off Casey’s training wheels, and working through the bumps???

17 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I don’t know what your referencing little whore. I’m just surprised Casey’s such a turnover machine.  He’s never shown to be that in live action outside of the spring game pick. So I’m just assuming he’s struggling in the new offensive system. Ridiculous seems a little dramatic. Don’t want to derail the thread. I’m in favor of playing the best player at every position.

He hit a Colorado DB in the hands and it would have been a pick 6 if the guy just held onto it. His bowl performance would have looked a lot different if that guy would have held onto a room service pick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He hit a Colorado DB in the hands and it would have been a pick 6 if the guy just held onto it. His bowl performance would have looked a lot different if that guy would have held onto a room service pick. 

If Casey was practicing this way while Herman was here, it might explain why he insisted on tossing an injured Sam out there every week. Turnovers will kill you.

Edited by CastHorn

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I thought I remembered that as well. Casey looked really good in that game but had some luck as well. Half a game should not decide who plays. Gotta trust the coaches to evaluate and compare both players over a long period of time in a variety of situations

1 hour ago, CastHorn said:

That’s unfortunate news on Casey. Its also surprising. Hudson must have had a hell of a summer. Casey may just not be a great fit or something. Does our season outlook change with a redshirt freshman? 

My outlook never changes.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, TexasTroll said:

Maybe this is just a part of Sark taking off Casey’s training wheels, and working through the bumps???

Ok Casey, as part of your jedi training we will teach you how to play with the twos. If you can dodge this wrench you can dodge a ball.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CastHorn said:

I was more surprised by Casey’s performance in the bowl game than his current trend, since I’d never seen him perform anywhere close to that previously. It’s like we didn’t learn from Kenny Hill, Trevor Knight, or Jerrod Heard that one good performance doesn’t equal long term success.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

-The order at running back appears unchanged: Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson, Keilan Robinson, Jonathon Brooks, Daniel Young, Gabriel Watson, Jarrett Smith, Anton Simieou. The backs worked on running routes while split out wide for part of the viewing session.

Small town kid is doing some good things!  Brooks is going to turn some heads when he gets a chance this year.  Saw him play a few times last year and he has really good vision, runs hard and can cut on a dime. 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

SIAP

AUSTIN, Texas — Horns247 was able to get a glimpse of the Longhorns’ practice Tuesday afternoon for a brief media viewing window at Frank Denius Fields. Here are some key notes we gathered from the media’s open practice window.
— For the second straight day, redshirt freshman QB Hudson Card got all of the reps with the first-team offense Tuesday afternoon, while redshirt junior Casey Thompson ran with the second-team offense.
— Card had some decent throws in 11-on-11 against the first-team defense. His receivers lining up with him were Jordan Whittington, Joshua Moore and Xavier Worthy.
— Card had a couple of completions in 11-on-11, including one to Moore and one to Worthy.
— Thompson did not have as good of a showing in 11-on-11 with the twos.
— Thompson’s receivers were Al'Vonte Woodard, Troy Omeire and Kai Money. Thompson’s only completed pass was to Money.
— A few of the less than ideal notes on the second-string offense started with a fumble when Thompson attempted to hand off the ball to Roschon Johnson early on. Thompson also he took a sack in 11-on-11 and threw an interception that was picked off by Darion Dunn.
I caught some of the RB pass-catching drills and the only guy who I didn’t see have a drop was Bijan Robinson. Both Roschon Johnson and Keilan Robinson had a few dropped passes.
— A bit of a random nugget, but Steve Sarkisian went out of his way to commend Jared Wiley while on kick return after he made a block that opened a hole for D’Shawn Jamison.
— There were a handful of NFL teams in attendance. We couldn’t get a really solid count, but it looked like anywhere between 9-12 NFL execs were at Tuesday’s practice.