South Carolina Attorney shot in head months after wife and son shot dead

Nicole44

Sorry if already discussed, but I can’t help but think the other son was involved. Has there been any evidence to prove he wasn’t there the night of the murders?

I think he had a job in charlotte or something like that at the time

His job prospects nowadays can’t be good

Considering some appeals take decades in death penalty cases, he will likely be dead by then based on life expectancy.    Which may go down slightly when behind bars.    If you get cancer,  MD Anderson isn’t an option for you for the latest treatments and best Docs.  

This, and a DP case ties up at least 3 ADA’s, an investigator and an entire district court for 2+ months, minimum. The realities of the strain on our system are not adequately discussed. The Justice system is not even functional as-is, virtually anywhere, so a lot of sacrifices have to be made. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze in the vast majority of DP eligible cases.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, scottsins said:

This, and a DP case ties up at least 3 ADA’s, an investigator and an entire district court for 2+ months, minimum. The realities of the strain on our system are not adequately discussed. The Justice system is not even functional as-is, virtually anywhere, so a lot of sacrifices have to be made. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze in the vast majority of DP eligible cases.

And I’d bet the jury is hung if this had been a DP. Too many resources wasted and for a case that would be difficult to try again. The defense likely would have gotten their hung jury had not that juror (woman with her dozen eggs that believed he was innocent and trying to talk about the evidence with other jurors before she was removed) been kicked off. They almost had a hung jury. Put the DP out there and those 3 that weren’t automatically guilty would have been harder to move off their stance imo. I also get that if ever there was a DP case this one was it but at the same time I think him being behind bars for the rest of his life has to be enough. He’s where he should be. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

And I’d bet the jury is hung if this had been a DP. Too many resources wasted and for a case that would be difficult to try again. The defense likely would have gotten their hung jury had not that juror (woman with her dozen eggs that believed he was innocent and trying to talk about the evidence with other jurors before she was removed) been kicked off. They almost had a hung jury. Put the DP out there and those 3 that weren’t automatically guilty would have been harder to move off their stance imo. I also get that if ever there was a DP case this one was it but at the same time I think him being behind bars for the rest of his life has to be enough. He’s where he should be. 

A jury can find someone guilty in a DP case and sentence them to something other than the DP.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, scottsins said:

13 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

A jury can find someone guilty in a DP case and sentence them to something other than the DP.

I'll defer to @YGIFS, but I'm pretty sure this guy is going to get plenty of DPs in prison.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Updawg said:

I think he had a job in charlotte or something like that at the time

His job prospects nowadays can’t be good

Assuming he was “clean” of any wrong doing he can probably move on and try to live a life out of the shadows.   I’d bet his Dad or someone in his family set him up with a good chunk of cash from anything like actual green backs being stashed somewhere to one of these complicated trust things to offshore or Swiss bank accounts.   It might not set him up for life, but he’s not going to be going to a welfare office for benefits.

Buster would need to get out of the Carolinas.    Shave his head to get rid of that easily identifiable red hair, wear a ball cap everywhere, and get on a rapid weight loss regimen.   Move to a big city where he can blend in and where people won’t know you from the next guy or gal standing next you.   He should consider going by his real name assuming Buster is a nickname and maybe modify his last name by legal means such as going from Murdaugh to Murdock or something like that.   

Having said that I doubt all the shoes have dropped in this tangled web.  

On 3/4/2023 at 6:40 AM, LTtxfan said:

Older casings from Murdaugh family guns were found from previous shootings on the property -- those older casings matched the shell casings used for the murders.  

I haven't followed the case that close. Please tell me the cops did claim a match to a gun based on old shell casing.   Unless they have some rare odd ball gun that damages the casing when it ejects it, there are no unique marks.  Matching like that is TV CSI crap. 

The level of gun matching you can do from a shell casing is "It was a 9mm".  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I haven't followed the case that close. Please tell me the cops did claim a match to a gun based on old shell casing.   Unless they have some rare odd ball gun that damages the casing when it ejects it, there are no unique marks.  Matching like that is TV CSI crap. 

The level of gun matching you can do from a shell casing is "It was a 9mm".  

SLED never recovered the gun but based on shell casings found around the property and ones found near the Maggie’s they concluded:

A state firearms investigator testified Friday that the shell casings found near Maggie Murdaugh's body had identical marks to older gun shells found around the family's main house—indicating that all the bullets were fired from the same weapon.

I think they said the strike mark from the firing pin matched, but there were ejection marks on most/all of the old casings they found but none on the new casings (or the other way around). It was pointed out by the defense that you can’t show a perfect match without having the actual gun to conduct testing.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I think they said the strike mark from the firing pin matched, but there were ejection marks on most/all of the old casings they found but none on the new casings (or the other way around). It was pointed out by the defense that you can’t show a perfect match without having the actual gun to conduct testing.

That was their point. Having said that whether it was the same or similar rifle the BlackOut the family did have (not up for dispute) just went missing. No police reports filed or anything. It just went missing. Some witnesses said they’d at least seen it a few months/weeks prior but Alex was insistent this particular gun went missing around November prior to the killings. Sounds perfectly reasonable…lol.

My main question would be after all of this will SLED ever have enough for a prosecution for Stephen Smith or for that matter Gloria Satterfield? Will there be anyone that finally comes forward now that Alex is in jail? Or are both those cases sunk? You’d have to have some credible witness or some direct evidence and I just don’t see it happening. I am hoping something will shake out for either case (not as hopeful for Gloria’s.) 

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Buster would need to get out of the Carolinas.    Shave his head to get rid of that easily identifiable red hair, wear a ball cap everywhere, and get on a rapid weight loss regimen.   Move to a big city where he can blend in and where people won’t know you from the next guy or gal standing next you.   He should consider going by his real name assuming Buster is a nickname and maybe modify his last name by legal means such as going from Murdaugh to Murdock or something like that.   

Oddly specific... You've done this before, haven't you?  

Where were you on the night of... 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Buster will probably have plenty of money from a generation skipping trust from his grandfather who died a few days after the murders of Maggie and Paul.

That family is worth millions. No idea what happens when Mama dies (no idea how it would be set up) but millions upon millions. 

Whoever asked about the opioid dosage upthread...

I find it difficult to believe Alex was taking 1000mg of oxy (or fentanyl equivalent) per day.  Yes, over time one's tolerance increases, and can increase to pretty insane amounts relative to a non-opioid tolerant individual.

But 1000mg a day is beyond insane.  I just don't see how anyone's central nervous system could withstand that, nor do I understand how anyone's digestive tract could handle that.

I'm sure he was popping a lot of pills.  I'm sure it was a staggering amount, if he was using oxy for 20 years.  But I also can't help wonder if his opioid use was so ridiculously overblown that he was ignorant of just how much of that stuff one human being can take.  

38 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Whoever asked about the opioid dosage upthread...

I find it difficult to believe Alex was taking 1000mg of oxy (or fentanyl equivalent) per day.  Yes, over time one's tolerance increases, and can increase to pretty insane amounts relative to a non-opioid tolerant individual.

But 1000mg a day is beyond insane.  I just don't see how anyone's central nervous system could withstand that, nor do I understand how anyone's digestive tract could handle that.

I'm sure he was popping a lot of pills.  I'm sure it was a staggering amount, if he was using oxy for 20 years.  But I also can't help wonder if his opioid use was so ridiculously overblown that he was ignorant of just how much of that stuff one human being can take.  

Isn't there acetominaphen in it? If so there is only so much your liver can take.

9 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Isn't there acetominaphen in it? If so there is only so much your liver can take.

If they are counting the acetaminophen, it only takes four vicodin to reach 1000 mg a day.

If you just count the hydrocodone or oxycodone in vicodin or percodan, he would have had to be taking 200 a day, which is impossible. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ve no doubt this guy took pills. It’s a far stretch for anyone to claim as he did and his defense did he was blowing $50,000 a week on oxy for 20 years. The financial trial happens after the murders and I can bet my ass he lost his own financial ass on real estate from 2008/2009. He stole from Y make to up for that X it’s how he “gained” the property where Maggie and Paul were murdered and he admitted it at trial.

7 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

That family is worth millions. No idea what happens when Mama dies (no idea how it would be set up) but millions upon millions. 

Don't be surprised if significant assets have been hidden that were owned by Alex, Maggie and Paul...

The families whose kids were involved in the boat accidents, and housekeeper murder should go after everything they can get from the Murdaugh family...  

• Hook 'Em 1

I just caught up on all of this, but my completely ignorant guess would be that he was spending $50k/month on something other than opiates, and that the opiate addiction is a cover for a worse offense (hookers? hush money?) that he didn’t want to come to light. Obviously there was some money spent on opiates, but $50k/month is hard for me to believe.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Augustus said:

It had to be way overblown, especially when you consider the fact that there were so many people close to him, most notably his law partners, that had no idea he was addicted to opiates. By all accounts, he was functioning quite well, which would have been impossible if he was taking as much as he said he was.  He was up to something else with all the money that disappeared, but we’ll probably never know.  The opiate “addiction” just became a convenient excuse for him when everything started to unravel. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, cabowabo said:

It had to be way overblown, especially when you consider the fact that there were so many people close to him, most notably his law partners, that had no idea he was addicted to opiates. By all accounts, he was functioning quite well, which would have been impossible if he was taking as much as he said he was.  He was up to something else with all the money that disappeared, but we’ll probably never know.  The opiate “addiction” just became a convenient excuse for him when everything started to unravel. 

That's where I am.  He would like like that scene in Wolf Of Wall Street when Leo had too many old Ludes.  There is just no way he was taking that much.  

On 3/5/2023 at 10:49 AM, Nicole44 said:

Some witnesses said they’d at least seen it a few months/weeks prior but Alex was insistent this particular gun went missing around November prior to the killings. Sounds perfectly reasonable…lol.

Are you suggesting Aleck may not have been truthful?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I just caught up on all of this, but my completely ignorant guess would be that he was spending $50k/month on something other than opiates, and that the opiate addiction is a cover for a worse offense (hookers? hush money?) that he didn’t want to come to light. Obviously there was some money spent on opiates, but $50k/month is hard for me to believe.

You're right on, I assumed that part was obvious for most.  Fuck no he wasn't spending that much on opiates.  That's $500k+/yr just right there that he's hoping they won't try to track down since they were cash purchases.

Edited by ballrific

On 3/5/2023 at 8:10 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

Assuming he was “clean” of any wrong doing he can probably move on and try to live a life out of the shadows.   I’d bet his Dad or someone in his family set him up with a good chunk of cash from anything like actual green backs being stashed somewhere to one of these complicated trust things to offshore or Swiss bank accounts.   It might not set him up for life, but he’s not going to be going to a welfare office for benefits.

Having said that I doubt all the shoes have dropped in this tangled web.  

Pretty sure his real name is Alec Murdaugh Jr, so he probably needs a total reboot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I would think the surviving son could change his name, move to a new state or country, and live a relatively anonymous life. It would be much easier if he has access to family money, although maybe his POS dad blocks him from receiving any.

That being said, even if he is innocent of all the crimes surrounding his family, he will surely be a psychological wreck for life. His inner demons will probably be far worse than his outward social interactions.

• 2 weeks later...
Weird stuff happening as if this case can’t get any more bizarre (jail house calls released between AM and his attorney and the Stephen Smith case is heating up): I thought Alex’s best defense was to blame it on Paul somehow. 

What’s up with the jailhouse calls?

27 minutes ago, Updawg said:

What’s up with the jailhouse calls?

Allegedly it’s “ok” to release them if it’s a three way. I think it’s fucking illegal to do this but I guess the calls were made to Alex’s atty and then there is a three way with his brothers talking about estate shit. 

https://www.foxcarolina.com/2023/03/20/tweet-murdaugh-attorney-mad-hell-about-leaked-phone-call/

Edited by Nicole44

As a general proposition, unless cleared in advance as an attorney-client-privileged phone call, all jailhouse calls are recorded and subject to review by law enforcement.  There's usually copious warnings about this near the phones and during the calls.

So, those calls wouldn't be privileged.  You'd think there would be little expectation of privacy once warned that the calls are recorded and monitored.

Doesn't seem to be much ground to keep them from FOIA type requests.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Allegedly it’s “ok” to release them if it’s a three way. I think it’s fucking illegal to do this but I guess the calls were made to Alex’s atty and then there is a three way with his brothers talking about estate shit. 

https://www.foxcarolina.com/2023/03/20/tweet-murdaugh-attorney-mad-hell-about-leaked-phone-call/

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

As a general proposition, unless cleared in advance as an attorney-client-privileged phone call, all jailhouse calls are recorded and subject to review by law enforcement.  There's usually copious warnings about this near the phones and during the calls.

So, those calls wouldn't be privileged.  You'd think there would be little expectation of privacy once warned that the calls are recorded and monitored.

Doesn't seem to be much ground to keep them from FOIA type requests.

Also, the general principle that "privilege" goes away when there's someone around that doesn't fit the purpose of privilege to begin with. In this case, there's no attorney-client privilege to communication with the brother, so anything discussed in his presence wouldn't be protected (assuming it's true that there were others on the call, which isn't apparent from the short recording). 

Edited by SquishMitten
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Also, the general principle that "privilege" goes away when there's someone around that doesn't fit the purpose of privilege to begin with. In this case, there's no attorney-client privilege to communication with the brother, so anything discussed in his presence wouldn't be protected. 

On review of the article, it seems like SC or this county does a kind of ad hoc evaluation of privileged calls and admits that this one should not have been released and many others were not. 

Jail telephone calls and their cost are kind of a hot button issue with prison and CJ reformers.  They're super expensive for inmates/family and a justification is that phone service providers give jails and prisons a turnkey phone, payment, and call record/recording solution that probably isn't cheap, but too much of the cost is passed to inmates/users.