Texas vs Tech “Agreement”

BurntOrange&White

This is just another sign that come hell or high water we are playing in the SEC next year. The reality is, the SEC media day leak fucked up a lot of plans. There was more work to be done to ensure once we pulled the lever, enough Big 12 teams would already have options for them to move to another conference. The GoR wouldve dissolved and that would be that.

Sharp found out about it, and knew it was too late to stop it. So all he could do was draw some blood. I still dont understand why the AD and Jimbo got hung out to dry like that. They didn't know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m good with it.

Now Rice on the schedule is awful. Virtually no threat of losing is very FCS-like. I’m not from Houston but that “road” game is one I have no interest in attending. Pretty much ever. It’s a weak environment. Generally at a mediocre, pro stadium.

As for the home games, that game ranks up as providing the least value. No excitement. No new feel. Most likely to have to eat a ticket or sure as hell get rid of at less than you paid for it. As a season ticket holder with life things happening that has to travel a bit to attend, it’s the worst game on the home schedule.

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’m good with it.

Now Rice on the schedule is awful. Virtually no threat of losing is very FCS-like. I’m not from Houston but that “road” game is one I have no interest in attending. Pretty much ever. It’s a weak environment. Generally at a mediocre, pro stadium.

As for the home games, that game ranks up as providing the least value. No excitement. No new feel. Most likely to have to eat a ticket or sure as hell get rid of at less than you paid for it. As a season ticket holder with life things happening that has to travel a bit to attend, it’s the worst game on the home schedule.

There is always a complete patsy on everyone's schedule that functions as a workout and a day to get some freshman and backups involved in a game atmosphere. Might as well be an FBS patsy with history and a fun band.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think all they need is BYU. I believe 9 teams is enough - would allow them to play 8 conference games until the other 3 join and then go to divisions. 

Good point. I was thinking they'd need a 2:2 to not skip a beat. It comes down to what ESPN is willing to throw in.

Just now, Had Enough said:

I’m good with it.

We're switching to an OOC with UTSA or UTEP as our Rice team.  Our last game with Rice is 2023. Next year is UTSA, ULA Monroe, and Bama, all at home. 2024 through 2031 is a rotator of UTSA and UTEP. That way we can play in Austin and not have to travel. Rice I believe was a 2 for 1. 

35 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We're trying to buy your acceptance of us leaving early. Say we leave in 2023, we'll book your guys from then on to grease the wheels and keep your whiny Lege guys off the oil fund. 

You left out the part about benevolence and philanthropy, but yeah, of course. 

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well we certainly don't want Lubbock to fall apart in our absence. 

Might as well try to save Beirut. 

The funny thing to me about this deal is that fans on both sides seem to be pretty pissed or at least befuddled about what it is.

Edited by slorch

There is always a complete patsy on everyone's schedule that functions as a workout and a day to get some freshman and backups involved in a game atmosphere. Might as well be an FBS patsy with history and a fun band.

Right. I get that. Some posters were hyping Rice over Tech. Tech provides some value. Rice is as close to zero value for an extended slate of games as you’ll get.

You can schedule some trash school on the opening game, and that has value as an opening game. And generally those teams don’t get a return game. mixing up those G5 teams makes them more tolerable too.

I didn’t mean intend to imply never schedule Rice but a long term deal with them is no bueno. Rice in a rotation of non-conference games and no road game is fine.

We're switching to an OOC with UTSA or UTEP as our Rice team.  Our last game with Rice is 2023. Next year is UTSA, ULA Monroe, and Bama, all at home. 2024 through 2031 is a rotator of UTSA and UTEP. That way we can play in Austin and not have to travel. Rice I believe was a 2 for 1. 

Yeah, this is fine. You need to rotate this easy game. UTSA might be an interesting one moving forward. They could possibly work their way into not being so easy. Although with the change in the recruiting landscape, that will become more difficult.

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Right. I get that. Some posters were hyping Rice over Tech. Tech provides some value. Rice is as close to zero value for an extended slate of games as you’ll get.

You can schedule some trash school on the opening game, and that has value as an opening game. And generally those teams don’t get a return game. mixing up those G5 teams makes them more tolerable too.

I didn’t mean intend to imply never schedule Rice but a long term deal with them is no bueno. Rice in a rotation of non-conference games and no road game is fine.

Disagree. Rice gets you a game in Houston.  Houston > West Texas for recruits. Being able to play CenTex, DFW (OU game) and in Houston benefits us more than playing in Lubbock. With UH joining a real conference, we need to clamp down on the Houston-area.  We can’t cede it to UH and aggy so we can play in Lubbock. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

The 2 for 1 road game is good because it gets us in Houston occasionally. It’s one of those small things that might give an incremental boost to recruiting in the area.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Disagree. Rice gets you a game in Houston.  Houston > West Texas for recruits. Being able to play CenTex, DFW (OU game) and in Houston benefits us more than playing in Lubbock. With UH joining a real conference, we need to clamp down on the Houston-area.  We can’t cede it to UH and aggy so we can play in Lubbock. 

This is a false dichotomy, though. Rice is the cupcake game. Tech is the mid-tier game. You’d play both, plus a marquee OOC opponent, in a given year.

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My thoughts as well. I’ve said for decades to anyone who’ll listen that I’d rather schedule traditionally weak — but recognizable — schools for our easy wins than schools that I’ve barely heard of. Give me an Indiana or Oregon State or Boston College or Wyoming as long as they will agree to a 2-for-1 home deal. Sure, there’s a 10% chance that we’ll catch them when they’re actually competitive, but that can happen with ULaLa, too.

My initial reaction was a visceral fuck no to Tech, but after calming down, I’m cool with it. 

Like BYU, Cal, and Maryland right?

• Rage+1 1

His argument is that playing Tech in football every year makes sense because we need Tech for other sports.  Which other sports, exactly? 

Are we to believe that our perennial top 5 baseball, basketball (that's right), women's volleyball, and Olympic sports programs are going to have a hard time finding non-conference opponents if we don't keep Lubbock happy?  Really?

9 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

His argument is that playing Tech in football every year makes sense because we need Tech for other sports.  Which other sports, exactly? 

Are we to believe that our perennial top 5 baseball, basketball (that's right), women's volleyball, and Olympic sports programs are going to have a hard time finding non-conference opponents if we don't keep Lubbock happy?  Really?

I’d play them in baseball, but none of the other sports. They’ll take a step back in basketball and their other Olympic sports are ass my dude. They are abysmal in WBB, softball and volleyball.  We’d be better served playing Baylor (gag) if it’s an all sports thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

This is just another sign that come hell or high water we are playing in the SEC next year. The reality is, the SEC media day leak fucked up a lot of plans. There was more work to be done to ensure once we pulled the lever, enough Big 12 teams would already have options for them to move to another conference. The GoR wouldve dissolved and that would be that.

Sharp found out about it, and knew it was too late to stop it. So all he could do was draw some blood. I still dont understand why the AD and Jimbo got hung out to dry like that. They didn't know. 

The books that will be written on this subject will be fascinating reads. Specifically, where did the leak come from? Texas leadership ran a pretty tight ship throughout. 

I think it could as simple as Aggy saw Sankey leaving a meeting with Eltife, and then ran to tell Brent Z. 

It’s possible Aggy sped up our departure to the SEC, but yes there could be some collateral damage. It’s looking likely that Texas will have to buy off Tech with regular road games in Lubbock and OU will have to do the same for OK State.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

This is a false dichotomy, though. Rice is the cupcake game. Tech is the mid-tier game. You’d play both, plus a marquee OOC opponent, in a given year.

I’d rather play our mid-tier OOC games around the country.  Michigan State, Minnesota, Cal, Oregon State, ASU, Virginia, etc. 

In-state G5 OOC (Rice, UTEP, UTSA, UNT)

Mid-tier P5 OOC (home and home with interesting travel locations or programs we haven’t played often)

Marquee OOC game (home and home or neutral site)

You’ve got some proof that this doesn’t mean Jack. Recruits are saying I want to play in the SEC. Not I need one game during my career in Houston for a damn near guaranteed victory. If you need a Houston game, schedule Houston. But then some will say why benefit Houston. As a player or a fan, you’d take Teck over Rice every time from a competitive and intensity standpoint.

Nowadays, flights from Houston, DFW, San Antonio to Lubbock are very doable for families and friends. TV has them all covered. Over 4 years, you’re talking 2 games maximum. Against a team with further realignment with a more likely scenario that falls from DI than gets picked up by another conference. Unless they just want a patsy.

Our brand with NIL and money coupled with the SEC hype and winning gets us Houston area recruits.

I’ve Had Enough of you already. Fuck Tech until the sun explodes. Fuck them now and forever. Fuck them x infinity. 

I want out of this conference and nothing to do with them, Baylor and TCU ever again. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I disagree with this notion that Tech replaces the Rice game on our schedule. Texas has a 14 game winning streak over Rice. Texas has a 3 game winning streak over Tech. 

What’s a respectable 10 game split with Tech? 7-3 or 8-2. Tech, especially in Lubbock, is always going to be a trap game. They would be adding an obligation game with the potential to ruin our season. Not what you’re looking for in OOC scheduling. 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I disagree with this notion that Tech replaces the Rice game on our schedule. Texas has a 14 game winning streak over Rice. Texas has a 3 game winning streak over Tech. 

What’s a respectable 10 game split with Tech? 7-3 or 8-2. Tech, especially in Lubbock, is always going to be a trap game. They would be adding an obligation game with the potential to ruin our season. Not what you’re looking for in OOC scheduling. 

Nope especially with the conference scheduling we will be seeing. People here are thinking like it’s still big 12 scheduling where you need that OOC game. 

Houston kids want a game in Houston so their high school friends can watch them play.  Texas coaches want a game in Houston with Rice because Rice facilitates getting our recruits in.  Donors want a game because they have lots of suites in NRG and it’s an excuse for non Houston donors to visit the city.  Academics want the game because it helps the only other beacon of academia in our state.  Next week will be our 96th fb game with Rice that’s only behind Oklahoma, aggy and Baylor so we have history with them just like ND/Navy or LSU/Tulane.  Texas playing Rice is not even remotely close to Alabama playing Mercer so kindly fuck off @Had Enough and any other Rice game hating fuckwits.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27581541/why-does-rice-play-texas-how-jfk-speech-defined-rivalry?platform=amp

Edited by TKthunder2
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It's best to go for cupcakes or programs that are routinely in the top 25. Those middling teams don't bring much upside to the schedule. That said, if there are off-the-field perks for this move then it is going to be worthwhile.

Edited by Bevo14

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nope especially with the conference scheduling we will be seeing. People here are thinking like it’s still big 12 scheduling where you need that OOC game. 

Georgia, Alabama, LSU, and Florida all play a tough OOC game every year. Just because we're going to the SEC doesn't mean we're dropping the marquee opponent. The SEC has a lot of a big name OOC games coming up that they aren't going to want to drop so this notion of 10 game conference schedule is not keeping with reality. They'll move to 9 conference games because they're already seeing teams not able to host certain teams except for every 8 years. They want to rectify that a bit. 

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

No, Rice is being replaced with UTSA and UTEP for the next 6 years after 2023. Tech will replace Alabama in 2023, assuming we're in the SEC by then. Then Tech will replace Colorado State in 2024, San Jose State in 2025, Texas State or UTSA in 2026 and then fill in the empty spots in 2027 and beyond as there's only 2 OOC opponents set for those years. 

For all of you freaking out, here's the future OOC for us

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/texas/

Edited by mdmost

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Georgia, Alabama, LSU, and Florida all play a tough OOC game every year. Just because we're going to the SEC doesn't mean we're dropping the marquee opponent. The SEC has a lot of a big name OOC games coming up that they aren't going to want to drop so this notion of 10 game conference schedule is not keeping with reality. They'll move to 9 conference games because they're already seeing teams not able to host certain teams except for every 8 years. They want to rectify that a bit. 

No, Rice is being replaced with UTSA and UTEP for the next 6 years after 2023. Tech will replace Alabama in 2023, assuming we're in the SEC by then. Then Tech will replace Colorado State in 2024, San Jose State in 2025, Texas State or UTSA in 2026 and then fill in the empty spots in 2027 and beyond as there's only 2 OOC opponents set for those years. 

For all of you freaking out, here's the future OOC for us

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/texas/

Yes we have those games scheduled already, and we will continue those types of games but Tech isn’t a marquee team so it just further proves how stupid it is. And I clearly posted that it’s likely that tech replaces the SEC teams on that link. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

You're right, Tech isn't a marquee game. It's the Georgia Tech that Georgia plays every year or Clemson playing South Carolina. It doesn't mean we won't still seek out a marquee OOC game to replace the Florida and Georgia series. Both of those teams I referenced play great OOC opponents every year in addition to the little brothers they play in state. 

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/clemson/

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/georgia/

Edited by mdmost

45 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

You’ve got some proof that this doesn’t mean Jack. Recruits are saying I want to play in the SEC. Not I need one game during my career in Houston for a damn near guaranteed victory. If you need a Houston game, schedule Houston. But then some will say why benefit Houston. As a player or a fan, you’d take Teck over Rice every time from a competitive and intensity standpoint.

Nowadays, flights from Houston, DFW, San Antonio to Lubbock are very doable for families and friends. TV has them all covered. Over 4 years, you’re talking 2 games maximum. Against a team with further realignment with a more likely scenario that falls from DI than gets picked up by another conference. Unless they just want a patsy.

Our brand with NIL and money coupled with the SEC hype and winning gets us Houston area recruits.

I bet if you took a poll, it would be 95%+ who would prefer to play Rice to UH. They suck. It’s basically official athletic department policy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You're right, Tech isn't a marquee game. It's the Georgia Tech that Georgia plays every year or Clemson playing South Carolina. It doesn't mean we won't still seek out a marquee OOC game to replace the Florida and Georgia series. Both of those teams I referenced play great OOC opponents every year in addition to the little brothers they play in state. 

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/clemson/

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/georgia/

Clemson/South Carolina and Georgia/Georgia tech are traditional rivals. 

Tech is not. Our traditional rivals are A&M, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. Al of which we will play in conference going forward. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Not sure why the angst here. Gets a lot of politicians off our back and likely being used as a bargaining chip for our exit. 

As for the game itself, it's a solid non-con game that we should win but not a total cupcake. Maybe not a total rivalry on our side but definitely some meaning to it.

It'll be interesting to see if we keep scheduling elite non-con opponents now that the conference schedule will be harder. We're gonna have some insane schedules the next 10 years with OU, SEC, and the non-con games we have on the books (tOSU, Michigan, etc).

16 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Not sure why the angst here. Gets a lot of politicians off our back and likely being used as a bargaining chip for our exit. 

As for the game itself, it's a solid non-con game that we should win but not a total cupcake. Maybe not a total rivalry on our side but definitely some meaning to it.

It'll be interesting to see if we keep scheduling elite non-con opponents now that the conference schedule will be harder. We're gonna have some insane schedules the next 10 years with OU, SEC, and the non-con games we have on the books (tOSU, Michigan, etc).

The politician thing is stupid. Politicians aren’t going to withhold funds from the UT system. Our athletics department is 100% self funded. So what the fuck are the politicians going to do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Clemson/South Carolina and Georgia/Georgia tech are traditional rivals. 

Tech is not. Our traditional rivals are A&M, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. Al of which we will play in conference going forward. 

Agree. 25 years locked in only benefits Tech by making them think in their mind they are our big rivals. I don't see them as big rivals of Texas, but Tech thinks they are. Texas will have their hands full in the SEC, they don't need Tech. Do a couple of home/home series during that 25 years similar to what was done with Arkansas and be done with it. 

Again this is all predicated on a leak from the Tech AD. Our AD hasn't said anything publicly yet. Tech might throw out Texas agreed to play us for 20-25 years when it's more we're going to play you in basketball or baseball every year and every now and then when we can in football. But hey it's Surly, let's freak out and gnash our teeth because we need something to be upset about. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I bet if you took a poll, it would be 95%+ who would prefer to play Rice to UH. They suck. It’s basically official athletic department policy. 

Perhaps. If you’re a recruit, you’d prefer U of H cause you don’t give a damn about all the political/historical stuff. Better environment and more of a national profile. And friends can watch to appease tkthunder. From a competitive standpoint and excitement view, it’s Teck over Rice 100% of the time.

Ultimately I prefer variation in the schedule. With playoff expansion, there’s a rationale for not scheduling marquee non-con because you might play them in the post-season. It’s about as dumb and shitty as playing OU twice and rendering the first game meaningless.

With respect to scheduling Tech, a loss with expanded playoffs also is less impactful. If we’re top 3/4/5 on the SEC, whatever the cut line becomes, we’re in. But also, play a marquee non-con and Teck, go 1-2 but finish 2nd in SEC, you are playoff bound.

Including Rice in a rotation is fine but in no way is it comparable to Tech. Tech might not even be opposed to playing in Houston.

• Pancho changed the title to Texas vs Tech “Agreement”