Texas vs Tech “Agreement”

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Agreed completely. I would enjoy a schedule of:

9 SEC games,

National power non total shithead division:

1 of theses schools (Home and Home) Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Notre Dame

Left Behind regional schools that play qualify football and/or aren’t choad monkeys:

1 of these schools (2 for 1- if they don’t like it fuck em on to next on list) Tech, Ok State, Iowa State, WVU, Kansas State, SMU, TCU 

1- guaranteed win division/help out local schools with a paycheck 

1 of these schools (always at home): Rice, UTSA, UNT, UTEP, Nebraska. <-- LOL

Fify and yep.

Meh. I know a lot of Tech fans. I'm okay with an annual game - its fun to kick ass. Not really a big threat. But I understand that having in-state games vs Dallas or Houston teams means more for alumni and recruiting. And you only have so many OOC games. Maybe we can do Tech, with games alternating between DKR and Jerry World. Might not help their Lubbock breastraunts or whatever, but that's not really my concern. If they say no, we ask SMU or UNT. Save one OOC for a fun true home and home with somebody interesting. 

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Not exactly sure what in the world Tech is trying to gain my throwing this tantrum a couple of days before we play Alabama.  Tech is the last fucking thing on anyone's mind and this isn't going to change that.   Just screams like a desperate "look at me look at me" attempt to stay relevant. 

They are the Kim Jong Un of the B12. 

As far as scheduling goes, honestly, there is no reason to make things harder than they need to be. Getting through the SEC west to the playoff is a feat in and of itself. Why raise the bar and play other schools that have a shot at the playoff in OOC. That just doesn't make sense. As long as you are top 12, you are fine. Unless you are playing for a bye there is no need to overthink it. 

Edited by Vertigo

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Spend how many years hating on Texas, talking shit about Texas, saying Texas is the problem with the conference, Texas is a bad partner. 

then throwing a temper tantrum when Texas leaves?  

how are tech and the others not thrilled that evil, controlling Texas is leaving?

They realized how much money its gonna cost them.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Spend how many years hating on Texas, talking shit about Texas, saying Texas is the problem with the conference, Texas is a bad partner. 

then throwing a temper tantrum when Texas leaves?  

how are tech and the others not thrilled that evil, controlling Texas is leaving?

The fleas are free to complain about how the dog they feed off lives its best life. Could the dog do better for them? Sure, but does it make a shit after the flea bath?

3 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

This is fucking hilarious.  

The fanbase, as a whole, prides its self on being as hostile and classless as possible.   OMG how dare Texas, given a choice, not travel to their shithole town and deal with their bullshit.  Offers us next to zero recruiting benefit to play there and there is virtually zero appeal for our traveling fan base.  Fuck. That.  

Cody Campbell equating Texas not playing Tech to aggy not playing Texas when they left?  Give me a fucking break.  UT/aggy is a historic, top 5 rivalry in all of college football.  Tech is 4th or 5th on our list of rivalries.

The fact that their AD and biggest donor are publicly throwing this big of a tantrum is embarrassing.  Keep crying poor you fucking pussies.

As far as I’m concerned they’re not even in the top 30. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This whole things feels like part of the negotiation for leaving early.  It's probably coming back up now b/c the Big 12 wants to sell "Texas vs. Tech" during their re-negotiation with ESPN/FOX and the Big 12 is pressing Tech on locking that down.  The Big 12 / Tech take their extra money and cooperate with Texas leaving early.  They'll ask for a 25 year agreement, Texas eventually counters with an offer for a 10 year agreement, and insists that 4 of those games are neutral site games.  Tech accepts.  Texas leaves a year or two early and the buyout is knocked down $____M .

Yormark should probably be pushing everyone in the Big 12 who can arrange it to set up a long-term series with an SEC school.  It would elevate the quality of the inventory he can take to a media buyer, it would be good for league branding, and the SEC side might have some incentive to nudge members to accept (since they'd get UT and OU a couple years early.)

Mizzou-Kansas makes sense
Oklahoma - OK St makes sense
Texas / A&M / Arky could rotate through Tech / Baylor / TCU or they could each pair up with one of them.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

They are the Kim Jong Un of the B12. 

As far as scheduling goes, honestly, there is no reason to make things harder than they need to be. Getting through the SEC west to the playoff is a feat in and of itself. Why raise the bar and play other schools that have a shot at the playoff in OOC. 

Wait.... Are you trying to be funny?

Fuck anyone saying we should play SMU, TCU, Baylor, or Houston.

Rice and Tech are the only ones that make any sense from the old SWC schools.  We don’t need a 2nd game in DFW, the TX/OU game is bigger than anything outside of a Dallas Cowboys game. If Houston hadn’t fucked us over with Bleachergate they’d probably have made the list too.

The ONLY way I would consider an annual game with Tech is if we played 1 out of 2 Tech/B12 home games in NRG.

at Austin
at Lubbock
at Austin
at Houston
repeat

Securing a game in Houston once every 4 years and only having to travel to Lubbock once every 4 years might make this work.  But I think Tech has too much “pride” to accept those terms even though it would probably work out in their favor.

Since they killed their neutral site game with Baylor in DFW, they could make it work in years when they play UH in Lubbock. Both schools could benefit from playing in the city of Houston and Tech could take in extra ticket/suite sales since  NRG has 10k more seats that Tech’s stadium and since it would be neutral site outside of the home ticket package.  A bonus would be that the Big 12 would benefit from having a Texas game on their network lineup every other year.

The Big 12 should focus on long term rivalry deals like this and Oklahoma/Okie St, Kansas/Mizzou, BYU/Utah, Iowa/ISU, TCU/SMU, Houston/Rice, WVU/Pitt, UCF/USF, Cincy/Memphis, Baylor/Wake Forest to give the networks some guaranteed OOC inventory and boost their TV deal. 

• Hook 'Em 3

UT System Schools and Rice every year at DKR. Open to home and homes with the Big Ten (no Ohio State) and ACC. 

Maybe Oregon/Washington on a home and home. No desire at all to play Big 12 teams. 

Jesus Christ people. Remember OU is a neutral site game for eternity. We’re going to play 4 conference home games some years.  Maximize the home games in the OOC schedule. There’s no room to give Tech, TCU, and Baylor any favors. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Fuck anyone saying we should play SMU, TCU, Baylor, or Houston.

Rice and Tech are the only ones that make any sense from the old SWC schools.  We don’t need a 2nd game in DFW, the TX/OU game is bigger than anything outside of a Dallas Cowboys game. If Houston hadn’t fucked us over with Bleachergate they’d probably have made the list too.

The ONLY way I would consider an annual game with Tech is if we played 1 out of 2 Tech/B12 home games in NRG.

at Austin
at Lubbock
at Austin
at Houston
repeat

Securing a game in Houston once every 4 years and only having to travel to Lubbock once every 4 years might make this work.  But I think Tech has too much “pride” to accept those terms even though it would probably work out in their favor.

Since they killed their neutral site game with Baylor in DFW, they could make it work in years when they play UH in Lubbock. Both schools could benefit from playing in the city of Houston and Tech could take in extra ticket/suite sales since  NRG has 10k more seats that Tech’s stadium and since it would be neutral site outside of the home ticket package.  A bonus would be that the Big 12 would benefit from having a Texas game on their network lineup every other year.

The Big 12 should focus on long term rivalry deals like this and Oklahoma/Okie St, Kansas/Mizzou, BYU/Utah, Iowa/ISU, TCU/SMU, Houston/Rice, WVU/Pitt, UCF/USF, Cincy/Memphis, Baylor/Wake Forest to give the networks some guaranteed OOC inventory and boost their TV deal. 

WHO is saying we should play Baylor?

Seriously, who?

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

UT System Schools and Rice every year at DKR. Open to home and homes with the Big Ten (no Ohio State) and ACC. 

Maybe Oregon/Washington on a home and home. No desire at all to play Big 12 teams. 

Jesus Christ people. Remember OU is a neutral site game for eternity. We’re going to play 4 conference home games some years.  Maximize the home games in the OOC schedule. There’s no room to give Tech, TCU, and Baylor any favors. 

We're going to play 4 conference home games EVERY year.

10 hours ago, mdmost said:

Well Brian told us there was a deal in “principal”. 

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Cody (Double Eagle Energy & Tech Board of Regents):  "Now they're going back on their word. If you're scared to play us, just say you're scared!! "  👆🌵

Cody is a really good dude and could buy everyone on this board a few times. That is a dumbass tweet meant to fire up his dumbass fan base. 

Edited by Porterhouse

Tech can be our place to send players who don’t cut it. Like; Arizona, Utah, SMU. With all of this NIL semi-pro crap we may as well develop a minor league affiliation. And for the record, I like Tech fans. They are  a lot like Surly but with batteries and Tortillas. Also they have very nice womens in Lubbock and that GAP kid dude.

Just now, 40acredropout said:

I’d normally call bullshit but literally this weekend I heard some wild JS Vegas stories so this checks out.

I’ve been there for some of them. They are good guys. I like JS better than CC. 

18 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

WHO is saying we should play Baylor?

Seriously, who?

"I don't know who's putting words or where," Del Conte said. "I can tell you that my same conversation every single time has been, Hey, you know what? Playing Texas schools are important. Playing Texas schools are important, any Texas schools. It could be SMU, Rice, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor. Those are important to us. We have a long history with those schools. Those are important. Playing Texas schools will be important for our non-conference schedule.

https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/sports/college/red-raiders/2022/09/08/texas-tech-football-athletics-officials-press-ut-future-non-conference-schedule/65741954007/

Just now, Porterhouse said:

I’ve been there for some of them. They are good guys. I like JS better than CC. 

He seems much more down to earth.  Not that Cody isn’t for being a billionaire but relatively speaking.  I don’t know them personally/professionally but grew up in same place so have a lot of social overlap.

Just now, 40acredropout said:

He seems much more down to earth.  Not that Cody isn’t for being a billionaire but relatively speaking.  I don’t know them personally/professionally but grew up in same place so have a lot of social overlap.

Both very approachable. Cody is the leader whereas John doesn’t give a shit. It’s no wonder CC is front and center with Tech social media. Between CC’s public persona and Hocutt’s delusional version of Tech being the place to build champions, it’s pretty damned funny. 

On 9/15/2021 at 7:08 AM, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

Burton:  Kirby Hocutt was quoted saying that Texas and Tech were working on playing one another long-term “20-25 years”.  After checking, I am told that Hocutt was a tad bit out over his skis.

While Texas has genuine interest in continuing the annual contest (and likely will), Hocutt seems to have a penchant for making statements about things that aren’t necessarily set in stone.  Yes, there have been discussions about the contest, and there may be an announcement at some point. However, Texas has bigger fish to fry at this point and that revolves around its impending move to the SEC.
Any capitulation by Texas on an annual match-up with Tech likely comes with a clearer and quicker path for the Horns to the SEC, even if the path is not openly stated.

Here's a refresher from 12 months ago

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Well Brian told us there was a deal in “principal”. 

Cody is a really good dude and could buy everyone on this board a few times. That is a dumbass tweet meant to fire up his dumbass fan base. 

Who the fuck is this douche?  Is he a coach?  Is he in the Athletic Dept? No.....then shut the fuck up and polish that turd you call your degree. Lulz at calling out Texas, like anybody in Belmont gives one solitary fuck what that tool has to say. 

The literal only reason for anyone associated with Texas Tech to be mad about not playing Texas is money. There is no rivaly here. 5-7 Texas threw 70 points on the board against them. They are cursed as far as playing against Texas. Crabtree used up all their luck.

For the average fan, the money doesn't matter. They should be glad that Texas and OU left and their team can actually fucking compete in this conference now. It's baffling, and the only reason to act the way they are is pure stupidity. They really are making themselves look bad.

Edited by Pam Cummings

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I’m okay with never playing another university in Texas again. There’s zero upside for us playing any of these cheesedicks.

I'd be good with a rotation of Tech, TCU, Baylor, and U of H for one OOC game each year, for old time's sake.

And by all means, keep them in the mix for basketball and baseball, too.

But the idea of playing Tech in football every year is the most one-sided favor I can think of.  It shouldn't even be answered.  Just hang up the phone.

Edited by TexArcher

I'd be good with a rotation of Tech, TCU, Baylor, and U of H for one OOC game each year, for old time's sake.
And by all means, keep them in the mix for basketball and baseball, too.
But the idea of playing Tech in football every year is the most one-sided favor I can think of.  It shouldn't even be answered.  Just hang up the phone.

1a. Tech
1b. Rice
2-10 6A, 5A TXHS champs,
Who fucking cares - Baylor, U of H and TCU, because, fuck them!

I am in favor of playing whichever team from Texas is fine with only coming to Austin for a game. We don't need to go to Lubbock or Waco or Houston anymore. Well maybe Houston but only to play Rice. Let's continue the great OOC matchups with the other top 2 conferences (ACC and Big 10) and some Pac 10 games thrown in. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, camel at sea said:

This whole things feels like part of the negotiation for leaving early.  It's probably coming back up now b/c the Big 12 wants to sell "Texas vs. Tech" during their re-negotiation with ESPN/FOX and the Big 12 is pressing Tech on locking that down.  The Big 12 / Tech take their extra money and cooperate with Texas leaving early.  They'll ask for a 25 year agreement, Texas eventually counters with an offer for a 10 year agreement, and insists that 4 of those games are neutral site games.  Tech accepts.  Texas leaves a year or two early and the buyout is knocked down $____M .

Yormark should probably be pushing everyone in the Big 12 who can arrange it to set up a long-term series with an SEC school.  It would elevate the quality of the inventory he can take to a media buyer, it would be good for league branding, and the SEC side might have some incentive to nudge members to accept (since they'd get UT and OU a couple years early.)

Mizzou-Kansas makes sense
Oklahoma - OK St makes sense
Texas / A&M / Arky could rotate through Tech / Baylor / TCU or they could each pair up with one of them.

I agree with this take. 

Probably some conversations, with CDC saying 'yeaa that would be awesome' while laying his feet on his desk and rolling his eyes. 

Now that they are going through divorce settlement with Texas Tech is trying to close on some deal that CDC probably wasn't even listening to. 

There's no actual signed agreements, probably never paperwork presented. 

I hope this results at worst to 5 trips for Tech TO Austin over 20 years , no home and home :D

Agree with what others have said, we need a tune up game every year and texas system schools make the most sense to fit in where it makes sense but thats a big difference than a big fat contractual obligation 

• Pancho changed the title to Texas vs Tech “Agreement”