Texas vs Tech “Agreement”

BurntOrange&White

21 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Cody (Double Eagle Energy & Tech Board of Regents):  "Now they're going back on their word. If you're scared to play us, just say you're scared!! "  👆🌵

One of our worst teams in recent memory hung 70 on their ass last year but we’re afraid to play them?

image.gif.5649610f2aec26b44e8cd18484ff7052.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

I'd be good with a rotation of Tech, TCU, Baylor, and U of H for one OOC game each year, for old time's sake.

And by all means, keep them in the mix for basketball and baseball, too.

But the idea of playing Tech in football every year is the most one-sided favor I can think of.  It shouldn't even be answered.  Just hang up the phone.

TCU, Baylor and UH?

F that.  That is almost neg-worthy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

It sounds like what Burton wrote last year in response to this is still accurate. Texas is going to have a Texas FBS team on its schedule every year in the non-con barring something absurd preventing it. That team always being Tech is something that Tech has been telling people and Texas has literally zero interest in that being the case.

In fact, there's greater interest in ensuring a variety versus doing anything exclusionary. That will also be why Baylor and TCU are a part of it, as well as UH - because it makes a lot of political sense. I don't politics in NCAA football sense. I mean, the mission and remit of the UT system needs to stay unrivaled and fully intact. Sports is a reasonable card to play to keep that on firm future ground. And underneath the ground. 

Regardless of any Tech tantrums, there is nothing that is going to happen regarding future schedules until there is certainty around what the SEC schedule is going to look like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

For those who know about Tech and its biggest supporters, Cloyce Talbott passed yesterday.

RIP, Cloyce

https://www.legacy.com/funeral-homes/obituaries/name/cloyce-talbott-obituary?pid=202749260&v=batesville

Pretty sure I expected one of Tech's biggest supporters to be named Cloyce.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It sounds like what Burton wrote last year in response to this is still accurate. Texas is going to have a Texas FBS team on its schedule every year in the non-con barring something absurd preventing it. That team always being Tech is something that Tech has been telling people and Texas has literally zero interest in that being the case.

In fact, there's greater interest in ensuring a variety versus doing anything exclusionary. That will also be why Baylor and TCU are a part of it, as well as UH - because it makes a lot of political sense. I don't politics in NCAA football sense. I mean, the mission and remit of the UT system needs to stay unrivaled and fully intact. Sports is a reasonable card to play to keep that on firm future ground. And underneath the ground. 

Regardless of any Tech tantrums, there is nothing that is going to happen regarding future schedules until there is certainty around what the SEC schedule is going to look like. 

This is heartening to hear. If Texas wants to go that way for a non-conference schedule, they might as well schedule all the former SWC Texas schools on a rotating basis. Heck, you might be able to fit two of them in certain seasons. Maybe have them for home openers unless of course you can play them in Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio.

Baylor, Tech, TCU, SMU, Rice, UH will keep the olds and purists happy and throw in UTSA and UTEP to help out the UT System for a total 8 in-state nonconference opponents. 

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

This is heartening to hear. If Texas wants to go that way for a non-conference schedule, they might as well schedule all the former SWC Texas schools on a rotating basis. Heck, you might be able to fit two of them in certain seasons. Maybe have them for home openers unless of course you can play them in Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio.

Baylor, Tech, TCU, SMU, Rice, UH will keep the olds and purists happy and throw in UTSA and UTEP to help out the UT System for a total 8 in-state nonconference opponents. 

Texas State and SHSU (they're about to be FBS) as well, apparently. Baylor, TCU, UH, and Rice might also get home games occasionally. I really don't know how much UH is under consideration and I'm just lumping them in since there is a political element to the motivation. Same for SMU. I don't really think Texas actually gives one shit about ever playing UH or SMU again given that TCU and Rice are more aligned with Texas generally. Whoever is wielding money and power politically after the SEC scheduling is understood will have a say in all of this. 

Campbell is trying to influence Abbott, if that helps folks understand this shit. I'm not saying it is working, or that it should or shouldn't, but whatever stroke he has politically, he's trying to use it to get what he wants for Texas Tech athletics right now. I sure as shit hope he winds up getting told to go shit in his fucking hat though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GTX Horn said:

One of our worst teams in recent memory hung 70 on their ass last year but we’re afraid to play them?

image.gif.5649610f2aec26b44e8cd18484ff7052.gif

You’re not wrong.  That’s been part of my chagrin with the lost decade of Tech football coinciding with some of Texas’ troubles during the same time period.  Tech hasn’t done shit to make hay while the sun is shining.

IDRGAF about all the saber rattling by both sides.  Play or don’t play, just STFU.

If I had to rank the Texas teams I would home/home with:

1) TCU - Metroplex recruiting/alumni, nice stadium and gameday experience

2) UH - Houston recruiting/alumni, can be at NRG for more seats

3) UTSA - SA recruiting/alumni, great city to visit, Alamodome is better than most places

4) Rice - same as UH but with history and MOB

5) SMU - alternative Metroplex game

6) Tech - Lubbock

7) UTEP - I'm fond of that area of Texas.  It's just not much of a program

8: UNT - alternative Metroplex game, but not really needed with the two above

9) Baylor - Waco is too close and it's Waco

10) Texas State - it's too close and not much of a program

Edited by JBJ

7 minutes ago, JBJ said:

If I had to rank the Texas teams I would home/home with:

1) TCU - Metroplex recruiting/alumni, nice stadium and gameday experience

2) UH - Houston recruiting/alumni, can be at NRG for more seats

3) UTSA - SA recruiting/alumni, great city to visit, Alamodome is better than most places

4) Rice - same as UH but with history and MOB

5) SMU - alternative Metroplex game

6) Tech - Lubbock

7) UTEP - I'm fond of that area of Texas.  It's just not much of a program

8: UNT - alternative Metroplex game, but not really needed with the two above

9) Baylor - Waco is too close and it's Waco

10) Texas State - it's too close and not much of a program

Add SHSU to your list, because they're on the UT list.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Add SHSU to your list, because they're on the UT list.

I forgot they were going FBS.  It's a weird location.  It's central to DFW/HOU, but I'd rather just pick one place than split the difference.  I've driven through Huntsville, but there's not much to see from the highway except the prison.  And it's pretty close to A&M anyway.  I'd have it below Baylor/Waco based on what I know.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Texas State and SHSU (they're about to be FBS) as well, apparently. Baylor, TCU, UH, and Rice might also get home games occasionally. I really don't know how much UH is under consideration and I'm just lumping them in since there is a political element to the motivation. Same for SMU. I don't really think Texas actually gives one shit about ever playing UH or SMU again given that TCU and Rice are more aligned with Texas generally. Whoever is wielding money and power politically after the SEC scheduling is understood will have a say in all of this. 

Campbell is trying to influence Abbott, if that helps folks understand this shit. I'm not saying it is working, or that it should or shouldn't, but whatever stroke he has politically, he's trying to use it to get what he wants for Texas Tech athletics right now. I sure as shit hope he winds up getting told to go shit in his fucking hat though. 

You're not wrong, and I would be beyond shocked if UH or SMU ever ended up on a voluntary OOC schedule. But there are so many teams in Texas to choose from, there is not really a need to go looking for an FCS school. UTEP, UTSA, SHSU, North Texas, Texas State, Rice, TCU, Tech, Baylor. Personally, I never want to see Baylor on the schedule either, but wouldn't mind a round robin approach.

Hell, even if we wanted to go FCS for cupcake week there is Abilene Christian, Lamar, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist, Prairie View A&M, Stephen F. Austin, and Texas Southern.

We should never really need to leave the state for OOC scheduling, or at most once per year. 

5 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I forgot they were going FBS.  It's a weird location.  It's central to DFW/HOU, but I'd rather just pick one place than split the difference.  I've driven through Huntsville, but there's not much to see from the highway except the prison.  And it's pretty close to A&M anyway.  I'd have it below Baylor/Waco based on what I know.

I can't imagine in a million years, no matter what division of football SHSU plays in, that we play a road game in fucking Huntsville. 

7 minutes ago, JBJ said:

200.gif

Just now, utee94 said:

TCU and UH would be at the bottom of my list, alongside Baylor.  Fuck the cockroaches, fuck the rapists, and fuck bleacher-gate.

Yeah.  An argument for a Tech series is that they'd presumably be on board with "high profile" neutral site games in Arlington, Houston, San Antonio, etc.  UT can get games in front of its alums in those places without playing UH or TCU.  It's a big win for Tech b/c the series would elevate their brand and the neutral site games would give them something else to sell on recruiting visits.  Texas would need to get enough money knocked off its buyout and a more reasonable end point to the series than a quarter century from now.

To hell with home & homes with any of them. Play the game in DKR, Jerryworld, or NRG & rotate them.

TCU/TTU/BU - Jerry world

Rice/UH - NRG

UTSA/SHSU/TXST/UTEP & everyone else that wouldn't help fill an NFL stadium - Austin

We're in the SEC & it's time to start scheduling like it which means we do neutral site games against teams that we don't benefit from having a home & home with but could fill up an NFL stadium & small in-state schools can stop at DKR while on their fieldtrip to the capital. 

5 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Yeah.  An argument for a Tech series is that they'd presumably be on board with "high profile" neutral site games in Arlington, Houston, San Antonio, etc.  UT can get games in front of its alums in those places without playing UH or TCU.  It's a big win for Tech b/c the series would elevate their brand and the neutral site games would give them something else to sell on recruiting visits.  Texas would need to get enough money knocked off its buyout and a more reasonable end point to the series than a quarter century from now.

That's not really what they were bellyaching and bitching to the Governor about -- it was mostly about the harsh economic realities foisted upon Lubbock in specific and Tech football in general when they can't gravy train UT to sellout their stadium and price gouge their season ticket holders. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, hook me said:

To hell with home & homes with any of them. Play the game in DKR, Jerryworld, or NRG & rotate them.

TCU/TTU/BU - Jerry world

Rice/UH - NRG

UTSA/SHSU/TXST/UTEP & everyone else that wouldn't help fill an NFL stadium - Austin

We're in the SEC & it's time to start scheduling like it which means we do neutral site games against teams that we don't benefit from having a home & home with but could fill up an NFL stadium & small in-state schools can stop at DKR while on their fieldtrip to the capital. 

fuck that.  nfl stadiums suck.  I'm pissed we stopped playing at Rice Stadium.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

You're not wrong, and I would be beyond shocked if UH or SMU ever ended up on a voluntary OOC schedule. But there are so many teams in Texas to choose from, there is not really a need to go looking for an FCS school. UTEP, UTSA, SHSU, North Texas, Texas State, Rice, TCU, Tech, Baylor. Personally, I never want to see Baylor on the schedule either, but wouldn't mind a round robin approach.

Hell, even if we wanted to go FCS for cupcake week there is Abilene Christian, Lamar, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist, Prairie View A&M, Stephen F. Austin, and Texas Southern.

We should never really need to leave the state for OOC scheduling, or at most once per year. 

Supposedly there remains zero appetite for FCS games and a continued strong appetite for the premise of a strong home-home with a big brand; a Texas FBS school; and another middling team, whether another Texas G5 or some other G5 (Wyoming, CSU, NMSU, ULM, etc.) or weak P5 (you know, like Cal or Maryland!). Got to figure out the SEC stuff first. Still, prepare for there to always be one road OOC at least every other year.

3 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Texas isn't really interested in playing the neutral site games, for anyone. So, maybe there's a couple that get mixed in, but I'm skeptical. 

The thing to realize here is that Tech is trying to push rope. UT isn't going to be kowtowed by anyone, much less a billionaire loudmouth Techster and fucking Kirby Hocutt. Campbell, accordingly, is trying to play the game above the UT regime's head, because he thinks he can. If Tech doesn't get what they want here, I would expect Texas to take it to an extreme because of what Tech is trying to do behind the scenes right now. They're heading away from occasional home/home series to getting the chance to come to Austin every 4-5 years if they want to do so.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, hook me said:

TCU/TTU/BU - Jerry world

Rice/UH - NRG

No, schedule them in Austin only if they want to play us and supplement with home and homes against ACC, Big 10, and Pac 10 opponents to increase our out of conference profile. We don't need anymore neutral site games. We have the best one every year in DFW. If we're good, it doesn't matter who you roll into Austin for the cupcake. Think back to all the New Mexico State games with VY and Colt. Those were at or near sellouts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That's not really what they were bellyaching and bitching to the Governor about -- it was mostly about the harsh economic realities foisted upon Lubbock in specific and Tech football in general when they can't gravy train UT to sellout their stadium and price gouge their season ticket holders. 

Yeah... it's all part of the conversation.  Scaling back a home and home, for 25 years, to a home/away/neutral site thing for ten years is still a win for them.  Maybe not a big enough win, or not something UT wants to do.  But I'd guess that they'll talk about it.  

Just now, mdmost said:

No, schedule them in Austin only if they want to play us and supplement with home and homes against ACC, Big 10, and Pac 10 opponents to increase our out of conference profile. We don't need anymore neutral site games. We have the best one every year in DFW. If we're good, it doesn't matter who you roll into Austin for the cupcake. Think back to all the New Mexico State games with VY and Colt. Those were at or near sellouts. 

I don't disagree with this at all but as a way to satisfy all the clingers, get games in front of BMDs, & have highly desirable recruits be able to easily come I can see the benefit of having neutral site games. CTJ says UT isn't interested so maybe it won't happen, but traveling to Waco, Lubbock, Cougar-high, or any of those others is giving up too much imo. If we can strong arm them all into coming to Austin or not playing them then I'm all for that, it just seems unlikely currently.

Just now, LTbear said:

What is bleacher-gate?

See below:

23 minutes ago, WBT said:

I hope we're not really going to start playing cougar high again.

image.png.b0d2541de47575941e23bdaede22253c.png

The last time UH attempted to host us, they sold a bunch of visitor tickets to us in this temporary section.  Then the bleachers were condemned and thousands of Texas fans that had bought tickets, were refused entry.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

We don’t need another neutral site game.  There is no way we play one regularly outside of Oklahoma.

Like I said before, a home/home with Tech is dumb, but if they were to rotate their home game to Houston every other time that might sweeten the deal for Texas. 2 games in Austin, 1 game in Lubbock, 1 game in Houston (technically a Tech home game under the Big 12’s tv deal, not a true neutral site).

Pretty weak effort by Campbell. How much traction is that hot take going to get in the media? 

"Texas Tech Booster Says Texas is Scared to Play Tech So They're Running Away to *checks notes* the SEC"

Say what you want about the SEC being overrated (and I have) but that's a pretty terrible fucking strategy if he's going for public pressure through the media. He'd be much better off just continuing to claim there was a deal and crying about lost revenue for west Texas. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

See below:

The last time UH attempted to host us, they sold a bunch of visitor tickets to us in this temporary section.  Then the bleachers were condemned and thousands of Texas fans that had bought tickets, were refused entry.

To expound, we wanted to play at reliant/nrg for the larger capacity. They said no, they would have temporary bleachers installed at Robertson to increase capacity. Then they did such a shoddy job that the seats were deemed unsafe and not usable by Harris county or whomever inspects such things. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Texasrocks said:

I'd tell Tech we'll play two in Austin for every one in Lubbock.

Pass. They can play us in Austin once every 5 years and like it.

Or they can not play us at all. 

we don’t care which. 

what does it say when they can’t fill their stadium without a large opposing fan base to help?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LTbear said:

What is bleacher-gate?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/Why-doesn-t-Texas-play-UH-And-will-that-change-17148409.php

“UH and UT have not met on the football field since the end of a three-game nonconference series from 2000-02. Of course, that included Bleachergate in 2001, when the temporary bleachers at Robertson Stadium failed to pass inspection and left 4,150 UT ticketholders watching the game on a big screen inside Hofheinz Pavilion — rather than at Rice Stadium or the Astrodome, where then-UT athletic director DeLoss Dodds wanted the game moved.

Not getting the Longhorns on the schedule has not been for a lack of trying. Texas rejected an offer by UH to play home-and-home football and basketball series for reducing the buyout owed former Cougars coach Tom Herman after he bolted for the Longhorns. UT instead wrote a check for $2.5 million.”

Houston charged full price for admission to over 4K UT fans then told them they had to watch for the basketball arena and refused to give refunds.  Texas gave refunds to the fans and hasn’t scheduled UH in football since.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

To expound, we wanted to play at reliant/nrg for the larger capacity. They said no, they would have temporary bleachers installed at Robertson to increase capacity. Then they did such a shoddy job that the seats were deemed unsafe and not usable by Harris county or whomever inspects such things. 

They also refused to refund the tickets and instead hosted a screening of the game at Hofheinz Pavilion for anyone with a ticket, and I think there were like 10 sad individuals who showed up for it. The entire situation was absurdly laughable and it actually happened.

People were posting for weeks on the boards that the bleachers were not safe. I just assumed they were being silly. Then, one of the UT people visited the set up and reached out to people in charge of that kind of thing at the city or county level, and an inspection was done. Once the stands were condemned, UH got pissy and pulled the rest of the bullshit.

It was initially reported by insiders that Texas would not be playing UH again any time soon in anything after that debacle. I figured that was just reactionary bullshit, but I'll be damned if Texas really hasn't scheduled UH in virtually anything in over 20 years. I think there has been a baseball game or series and a couple of non-revenue match-ups but that's damned near it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

I'd tell Tech we'll play two in Austin for every one in Lubbock.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Pass. They can play us in Austin once every 5 years and like it. 

Either of these options is fine and infinitely better than playing them home and away for however long. 
2/1 for hateful 8 leftovers. Austin only for shitty Texas schools. 
blue blood PAC 12, ACC and Big 10 games home and home. 

Just now, slorch said:

Maybe you can ask Chris Beard…

We’re not begging tech to come play us so you trash piles can fill up the arena. 

anyone who gives a shit about basketball attendance is trying to get more Texas fans to the games, not filling up the schedule with teams that will bring fans with them. 

I dont see any way Texas goes into any year with only 5 home games. 

Cupcake+

4 conference home games

Then home and home vs OoC name team. The very nature of a home and home means not at home every other year

Neutral site game? I think it would have to be another home and home to get us to 6 home games

16 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/Why-doesn-t-Texas-play-UH-And-will-that-change-17148409.php

“UH and UT have not met on the football field since the end of a three-game nonconference series from 2000-02. Of course, that included Bleachergate in 2001, when the temporary bleachers at Robertson Stadium failed to pass inspection and left 4,150 UT ticketholders watching the game on a big screen inside Hofheinz Pavilion — rather than at Rice Stadium or the Astrodome, where then-UT athletic director DeLoss Dodds wanted the game moved.

Not getting the Longhorns on the schedule has not been for a lack of trying. Texas rejected an offer by UH to play home-and-home football and basketball series for reducing the buyout owed former Cougars coach Tom Herman after he bolted for the Longhorns. UT instead wrote a check for $2.5 million.”

Houston charged full price for admission to over 4K UT fans then told them they had to watch for the basketball arena and refused to give refunds.  Texas gave refunds to the fans and hasn’t scheduled UH in football since.

Paywalled - Can you post the article?

• Pancho changed the title to Texas vs Tech “Agreement”