Texas vs Tech “Agreement”

BurntOrange&White

Still feels like an Abbott deal to keep the Midland/Odessa/Lubbock voting bloc happy. 
Meanwhile, John Sharp is jerking off bulls and laughing his ass off at the political concessions UT is willing to make. Aggy got out clean as whistle. I will credit them for that. 
That's because everyone wanted them gone.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Burton this AM:

Late last week, Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt was quoted as saying that Texas and Texas Tech were working on playing one another in a long-term agreement of “20-25 years”.

After doing some checking, I am told that Hocutt was a tad bit out over his skis.

While Texas has genuine interest in continuing the annual contest (and likely will), Hocutt seems to have a penchant for making statements about things that aren’t necessarily set in stone.

Yes, there have been discussions about the contest, and there may be an announcement at some point. However, Texas has bigger fish to fry at this point and that revolves around its impending move to the SEC.

Any capitulation by Texas on an annual match-up with Tech likely comes with a clearer and quicker path for the Horns to the SEC, even if the path is not openly stated.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/11/2021 at 12:59 PM, Tex-19 said:

Not sure why the angst here. Gets a lot of politicians off our back and likely being used as a bargaining chip for our exit. 

As for the game itself, it's a solid non-con game that we should win but not a total cupcake. Maybe not a total rivalry on our side but definitely some meaning to it.

It'll be interesting to see if we keep scheduling elite non-con opponents now that the conference schedule will be harder. We're gonna have some insane schedules the next 10 years with OU, SEC, and the non-con games we have on the books (tOSU, Michigan, etc).

Have you ever attended a UT game in Lubbock?

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2021 at 6:50 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

If West Texas had a plethora of good football players still, it makes sense. 

But they don’t, so f this. 

There have always been good football players out there that big schools were rarely aware of. Not as often as it used to be because of internet. I went to school with one. No one was recruiting him. John Parchman told  Butch Davis to go check out a kid in Big Spring by the name of Bubba Franks. Offered him on the spot. Started the run of highly  drafted Tight ends at Miami. Bubba was picked at 13 in the first round, 3 time all pro. Quite a few years later a QB by the name of Ryan Tannehill went to the Aggies as an afterthought. Don't underestimate the talent in West Texas. There is a star out there more often than you think and they aren't always highly ranked. Quite the contrary.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, n64ra said:

I don't want to be locked in with TTU annually in football. I'd much prefer to play a single non-SEC based Texas team each season. Year 1 could be tech, year 2 TCU, year 3 Rice, etc then repeat. All other sports like bball and baseball, that's cool.

Fuck Baylor and TCU. Would rather not do any agreement with tech but will take this over playing those teams. 

• 11 months later...
19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Cody (Double Eagle Energy & Tech Board of Regents):  "Now they're going back on their word. If you're scared to play us, just say you're scared!! "  👆🌵

These fucking guys act like we owe them something. The other big 12 schools are all happy we are leaving, but still want to play us. I am surprised Baylor isn't pressuring the state leg to also try to force us to play them or some other nonsense. Why would we agree to a 20 year non conference game? That is madness. 

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Cody (Double Eagle Energy & Tech Board of Regents):  "Now they're going back on their word. If you're scared to play us, just say you're scared!! "  👆🌵

Why would we be scared of Texas Tech?  We have been bad the last 12 years and have still owned them.  We've won 10 of the last 12 and 19 of the last 23.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 1

I just don't know why they'd want to play Texas instead of(checks their non conf schedule) teams like Murray State, Houston, FIU, Tarleton St, Abilene Christian, UAPB? I give them props, they've mixed in the Oregon schools, NC State, Colorado State, and Whyoming. Texas scheduled opponents slightly better in Alabama, Ohio St, Michigan, Georgia, and Florida. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Whatever it takes to get out of a 20-year series with TT, I'm willing to do. So, yes, TT, I'm scared s-less to play TT this year, next year, forever.  I'm quaking, shaking with utter fear. Can we part now?

49 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Why is the first assumption always that we are scared😂😂 Maybe we have bigger fish to catch and deal with than a shitty school in the middle of a desert. Fuck off Tech  

22 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

I really, really hope there's some kind of unseen advantage for Texas somewhere hidden in this deal because we're using up one of our three open slots for Texas Tech for 25 years? Why exactly would we do that? Good grief. Say it ain't so.

It ain't so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Campbell's really just whoring for the D-cell battery lobby. He's also carrying water for Dasani, along with whatever the hell else those pricks throw at us from the bleachers. Fuckabuncha those assholes . 

Funny enough if you read the article they say having UT on the schedule has a 8-figure impact to the university and its partners.

Damn... that is a big check. Unfortunately, the problem is that for the entire B12 that is case for the teams that have UT come in to play, but for some reason those schools do not have the same impact for UT and Austin...

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, WBT said:

We should play them in baseball every year.  A home and home in football once a decade or so would be good.

Agreed completely. I would enjoy a schedule of:

9 SEC games,

National power non total shithead division:

1 of theses schools (Home and Home) Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Notre Dame

Left Behind regional schools that play qualify football and/or aren’t choad monkeys:

1 of these schools (2 for 1- if they don’t like it fuck em on to next on list) Tech, Ok State, Iowa State, WVU, Kansas State, SMU, TCU 

1- guaranteed win division/help out local schools with a paycheck 

1 of these schools (always at home): Rice, UTSA, UNT, UTEP, Nebraska. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

Not exactly sure what in the world Tech is trying to gain my throwing this tantrum a couple of days before we play Alabama.  Tech is the last fucking thing on anyone's mind and this isn't going to change that.   Just screams like a desperate "look at me look at me" attempt to stay relevant. 

Edited by Skipper

This is fucking hilarious.  

The fanbase, as a whole, prides its self on being as hostile and classless as possible.   OMG how dare Texas, given a choice, not travel to their shithole town and deal with their bullshit.  Offers us next to zero recruiting benefit to play there and there is virtually zero appeal for our traveling fan base.  Fuck. That.  

Cody Campbell equating Texas not playing Tech to aggy not playing Texas when they left?  Give me a fucking break.  UT/aggy is a historic, top 5 rivalry in all of college football.  Tech is 4th or 5th on our list of rivalries.

The fact that their AD and biggest donor are publicly throwing this big of a tantrum is embarrassing.  Keep crying poor you fucking pussies.

Edited by 40acredropout
I said top 3 rivalry... probably more like top 5 now that I think about it.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

• Pancho changed the title to Texas vs Tech “Agreement”