Texas vs Tech “Agreement”

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Xian said:

I guess im the only one what likes this. I love regional college ball

with this we will play all the regional schools. 

OU, A&M, Arky, LSU, and now Tech. 
Plus often enough, probably Rice 
(Screw Baylor, UH, and Tcu)

51 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We have room in our OOC for Tech. We've got games scheduled against Bama, Florida, and Georgia that all will have to be replaced. If we got to a 9 game SEC schedule, we'll have our yearly buy a win Rice type home game, a marquee OOC opponent, and Tech. That's not terrible. We'll alternate the Tech game home and home with how we are either home or away with our home and home OOC opponent. The OOC schedule is going to get tinkered with regardless.  We're not dropping Michigan and Ohio State because we promised Tech a yearly game. And the SEC is not going to 10 conference games. That's just sheer lunacy to think that's even an option. They only do 8 now and a good portion of that is to maximize their home games. 

If this gets started in 2025, we'll drop UTEP that year and add Tech. So our OOC will be: @tOSU, San Jose State, Tech. 2026: @Tech, tOSU, UTSA. 2027: no big deal because we only have @Michigan and UTEP on the schedule. Tech fills in as the other team. 2028-2031 will need all new OOC opponents to replace Georgia and Florida home and homes. UTSA and UTEP alternate in those years. So add Tech and a Pac 12 opponent like Oregon and Washington. This is no different that Georgia playing Georgia Tech every year. That doesn't limit Georgia's ability to schedule great home and home games. Florida plays Florida State every year and still had the balls to schedule us in 2030-2031. We're still going to search for great OOC games. 

All of this. Don’t get all the angst.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

I'd rather give them 4 games and some cash to grease the political skids. Whatever it takes to buy them off would be couch change to us. Still, despite this board's habit of jumping on CDC's shit before he acts, he's been pretty damn solid in his decision making so far. 

Still feels like an Abbott deal to keep the Midland/Odessa/Lubbock voting bloc happy. 

Meanwhile, John Sharp is jerking off bulls and laughing his ass off at the political concessions UT is willing to make. Aggy got out clean as whistle. I will credit them for that. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Still feels like an Abbott deal to keep the Midland/Odessa/Lubbock voting bloc happy. 

Meanwhile, John Sharp is jerking off bulls and laughing his ass off at the political concessions UT is willing to make. Aggy got out clean as whistle. I will credit them for that. 

I'm just sayin, CDC has earned my trust. I'll pass judgement when details are official.

29 minutes ago, PTINS said:

1. This is West Texas. All day long. I'm sure I've met average girls from out west, but none come to mind.  Every one of 'em love it. If they do, then I do.  That's the reason I started to listen to C&W music.

2331C9D1-44FD-4B04-82D4-33F68272EAD9_1_105_c.jpeg

29 minutes ago, PTINS said:

2. 25 doesn't mean 25 times in 25 years, just 25 years.  We gotta play somebody.

3. Tech is the only P5 school 10 miles west of I-35, that's more than half the State.  Makes a lot of sense to play somebody in Texas.  Keep your enemies close kind of thing.  

4.  We owe our wealth, our resolve, and much of our identity, to the romance and realities, of the State Lands in West Texas.  Have some respect.  Maybe one day you can take an RV road trip to Lubbuck.  

This is the worst shit I've read all day. I was having a nice night and had to put it on pause to read whatever the fuck you thought was a good idea to post. Amazed you have more rep than posts. Maybe you're a complete dumbass very infrequently.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm thinking this has to be a leak of the negotiations that are ongoing to get Texas out of the Big XII ASAP - ideally with minimal interference from the West Texas politicians, and perhaps also some support from Tech to budge on the GOR.  Hopefully 20-25 years is just a starting point, and we are working on negotiating it down to something more reasonable.  I trust that CDC knows what he is doing here.

I’m fine with it. I have always had fun in Lubbock. 

I didn’t realize so many hated their fans. I did get nachos thrown at me when we entered the stadium on the wrong side one year and walked right through their student section. But I laughed it off. 

Of course half the kids from my hometown seem to go to school there, so I guess I have a soft spot for Tech. 

35 minutes ago, orangebird said:

Yeah, I'm thinking this has to be a leak of the negotiations that are ongoing to get Texas out of the Big XII ASAP - ideally with minimal interference from the West Texas politicians, and perhaps also some support from Tech to budge on the GOR.  Hopefully 20-25 years is just a starting point, and we are working on negotiating it down to something more reasonable.  I trust that CDC knows what he is doing here.

Here’s the thing. Politicians can’t legislate contractual mandates. That’s all hand wringing bullshit. Texas and OU pay $$$ for leaving before 2025 or they don’t. The state legislators can get fucked 

I personally like it, but I grew up in Lubbock and got the fuck to UT as fast I could.  That being said, I still enjoy the hell out of the game every year.  I don’t know what it’s like now at Tech, but back in the 90’s the sheer volume of hot chicks on Tech campus was unbelievable.  When I went off to UT, it was an upgrade in academics and football, but Tech had them beat in the coochie department.  Not that there weren’t plenty of lookers at UT, but on a percentage basis, we weren’t #1.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:
Another thought: Despite public posturing, OU couldn’t afford the full buyout and asked Texas to find another vote.

Fuck em, they can crack open their own piggy banks, knock over liquor stores..whatever.

Okie should sell some more tiger cub pettings to raise cash.

I don’t know why the fuck Tech keeps looking East and Southeast. UT is the like the abusive bf that just asserts themselves all over the place while Tech sits back and just feels happy to be included. 

Tech should be forming their own identity and just say fuck it and look West. UT fans never really gave a shit about the “rivalry” but always ended up on the winning side. Sometimes I wonder why I’m still a fan. The admin are so spineless and can’t keep a coach in the 2 sports that matter. 

Even Lubbock as a city is just a wannabe Dallas suburb. Fuck all of this. 

My only Tech trip, I stayed with some nice sorority girls from back home.

I don't remember what fraternity it was, but a Tech fraternity held a big annual Calf Fry. Get it! They're frying Bevo! It was actually a steak dinner/kegger. Despite being from the same part of Houston and being in a much fraternity at Texas, some Tech bros told me I wasn't invited because I went to UT. Just stupid, petty shit. 

We beat them in an awesome Colt comeback. I was out with a big Woodlands crew and we closed out a bar with Danny Amendola. Good times. 

My point is, if you want to visit some party animals from high school, there are better ways to do than scheduling a football game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't remember what fraternity it was, but a Tech fraternity held a big annual Calf Fry. Get it! They're frying Bevo! It was actually a steak dinner/kegger. Despite being from the same part of Houston and being in a much fraternity at Texas, some Tech bros told me I wasn't invited because I went to UT. Just stupid, petty shit. 

We beat them in an awesome Colt comeback. I was out with a big Woodlands crew and we closed out a bar with Danny Amendola. Good times. 

My point is, if you want to visit some party animals from high school, there are better ways to do than scheduling a football game. 

Yeah, but why would anyone show up if there wasn't an event going on? 

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Friendship? 

That works when everyone is single, but when all your friends start getting married and having kids it becomes more difficult to find a guys weekend that works for everyone. Having an event that has a deadline set by a 3rd party (even a fantasy football draft) makes it more likely that people actually show up instead of trying to make it the most convenient. The football game is also something that the family could potentially be brought to. 

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

User name doesn't check out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Here’s the thing. Politicians can’t legislate contractual mandates. That’s all hand wringing bullshit. Texas and OU pay $$$ for leaving before 2025 or they don’t. The state legislators can get fucked 

True, but those fucks would probably try and find some other way to fuck with the university if given the chance.  I should know...I'm related to Tech alums.  Some of them have the biggest inferiority complexes this side of Lubbutt, particularly when it comes to UT.  Not saying I completely agree with it, but I could see cutting a deal like this to smooth things over with the Tech politicians could be a distinct possibility as a motivation to get them to lay off of UT in the Legislature in the future.

Thing is, we don't really know what is going on here, or what exactly is driving this.  It might simply be part of the negotiations to lessen the amount that UT has to pay to GTFO of the Big XII as soon as fucking possible.  If it's not this or for political reasons, then there is no other obvious benefit to UT.  It certainly does seem that things are moving forward, given that the Big XII just invited four new schools to join, and the AAC has given permission for their schools to leave before 2024.  I don't see UT and OU sticking around to 2025 to party with the new schools in the Big XII, so things are moving in the direction of an early exit sooner rather than later.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

1. Play Tech every 5 years for 25 years

2. OSU and OU do the same

3. Those four threaten to dissolve the conference unless buyout are reduced to a manageable amount

4.  Deal is struck and hello SEC in 2022. 

Not sure the money received by tech and okie lite for 5 games is anywhere near enough to get their agreements for your #3

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, gyroprotagonist said:

if you tack on a rider about permanently shutting the fuck up about the PUF and it's really just like 4 games a decade i'm in.  

"That's our money gotdammit.  We're the only Texans..."

My first thought was "fuck all that," but I'd rather play tech 1000 times before watching us play Mercer once like Bama is doing today. What is the point in that?

This isn't going to impact the ability to schedule marquee ooc (Ohio State, USC, etc.) games, it's a middle finger / go get your shine box message to Baylor and TCU, it presumably gets us to SEC faster/cheaper (or at least it had better), it precludes us from putting some bullshit fcs team on the docket, and it's the next team down (granted, a good ways down) the list of our traditional rivals after OU, Arkansas and A&M. 

Tech, Rice (or other in state doormat equivalent), marquee opponent du jour, ou in Dallas + sec is a great fucking schedule every season. 

• Hook 'Em 7

27 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

My first thought was "fuck all that," but I'd rather play tech 1000 times before watching us play Mercer once like Bama is doing today. What is the point in that?

My thoughts as well. I’ve said for decades to anyone who’ll listen that I’d rather schedule traditionally weak — but recognizable — schools for our easy wins than schools that I’ve barely heard of. Give me an Indiana or Oregon State or Boston College or Wyoming as long as they will agree to a 2-for-1 home deal. Sure, there’s a 10% chance that we’ll catch them when they’re actually competitive, but that can happen with ULaLa, too.

My initial reaction was a visceral fuck no to Tech, but after calming down, I’m cool with it. 

• Pancho changed the title to Texas vs Tech “Agreement”