Texas vs Tech “Agreement”

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

If I had to rank the Texas teams I would home/home with:

1) TCU - Metroplex recruiting/alumni, nice stadium and gameday experience

2) UH - Houston recruiting/alumni, can be at NRG for more seats

3) UTSA - SA recruiting/alumni, great city to visit, Alamodome is better than most places

4) Rice - same as UH but with history and MOB

5) SMU - alternative Metroplex game

6) Tech - Lubbock

7) UTEP - I'm fond of that area of Texas.  It's just not much of a program

8: UNT - alternative Metroplex game, but not really needed with the two above

9) Baylor - Waco is too close and it's Waco

10) Texas State - it's too close and not much of a program

I have to say "fuck Rice straight to hell" after that cheap shot on Irby.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean, the mission and remit of the UT system needs to stay unrivaled and fully intact. Sports is a reasonable card to play to keep that on firm future ground. And underneath the ground. 

Given this goal, what would it take to remove tamu from the PUF? How can we be our best if we’re wasting 1/3 of our money on them?

28 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Pretty weak effort by Campbell. How much traction is that hot take going to get in the media? 

"Texas Tech Booster Says Texas is Scared to Play Tech So They're Running Away to *checks notes* the SEC"

Say what you want about the SEC being overrated (and I have) but that's a pretty terrible fucking strategy if he's going for public pressure through the media. He's be much better off just continuing to claim there was a deal and crying about lost revenue for west Texas. 

At this point the state's hands are tied about what we do or do not do with this SEC move. They got their pound of flesh in kangaroo session, about the worst thing they could try to do is to pass a law requiring us to schedule a specific school in OOC. That would be hilarious because nobody but a school's alumni has any vested interest in playing any particular school and it would devolve into a shit flinging contest between alums at various schools. 

3 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

I have to say "fuck Rice straight to hell" after that cheap shot on Irby.

It wasn't a cheap shot so much as the kid just went low when Irby had his head turned. IIRC, the kid was crying on the sidelines when Irby was getting carted off. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We’re not begging tech to come play us so you trash piles can fill up the arena. 

anyone who gives a shit about basketball attendance is trying to get more Texas fans to the games, not filling up the schedule with teams that will bring fans with them. 

Just fucking around on the basketball front because it fit the statement.

The big names attract more home fans too in football.  It’s not really about Tech wanting the UT fans.  That’s where it obviously helps Tech more than Texas in football.

I wouldn’t have a problem with a 2:1 for that reason.  There’s really no reason beyond sentimental bullshit for Texas to do a 1:1 with Tech in football.  The old timer Tech folks would lose their minds, though.  So they’ll more likely end up with UTEP.

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Damn it, you just sent up the bat signal. 

but it's true

it's the biggest clusterfuck of the entire construct

the motherfuckers are still a branch of The University and they steal 1/3rd of our money every fucking year for 100+ years running

stairways to nowhere and seats that face walls are the direct result of the use of OUR MONEY

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If we go to 9 conference games then we will alternate years with 4 and 5 conference home games.  You schedule the Home game of your marquee home and home OOC game to coincide with the 4 home conference game year

Given that the OU game will always be neutral, I would expect four home and four away every year if we go to 9 conference games.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

But take away that money and insurance agents will raise our rates and our vet bills will triple, and any disaster relief money will be funneled away from its intended targets to try and make up for it. 

I'm all for letting them keep their 1/3 under the condition College Station gets moved out of state and any former, current, or future students are never allowed in Texas again. 

A man can dream. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Paywalled - Can you post the article?

Spoiler

Why doesn’t Texas play UH? And will that change?

Joseph Duarte ,  Staff writer May 4, 2022 Comments

Joseph Duarte

Dan Guggan, left, and Hal McElroy were among the few UT fans who wound up watching the 2001 Texas-Houston football game on a big screen at Hofheinz Pavilion. More than 4,000 Longhorns fans who had tickets for the game were out of luck when temporary bleachers at the Cougars’ Robertson Field were deemed unsafe.

Camilla McElligott, Freelance / Special to the Chronicle

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — They walked the same hallways, mingled in the same social circles, and even had dinner together.

They sat in the same room, sometimes for hours, to discuss important issues during the three-day Big 12 spring meetings that wrapped up Wednesday.

This is, quite possibly, the closest University of Houston and University of Texas officials have been in decades.

Could we finally see the Cougars and Longhorns play each other in football and men’s basketball?

“I hope it works out,” said Chris Pezman, UH’s vice president for athletics. “I’ll believe it when I see it.”

Former U.S. president John F. Kennedy once asked: “Why does Rice play Texas?”

Many have wondered for the past two decades: “Why doesn’t Texas play Houston?”

All that could change in the next year.

UH’s impending move to the Big 12, which appears likely in 2023, and the Longhorns’ staying for at least one season, if not two, before leaving for the SEC, could align for the two schools to finally meet.

You can excuse Pezman’s pessimism on the topic until the contracts are signed.

“A year ago, we weren’t doing NIL (name, image, likeness),” he said this week as a UH contingent for the first time participated in Big 12 meetings at the swanky Hyatt Resort at Gainey Ranch. “Two years ago, we weren’t doing transfer portal. I use those just as examples because of how fast this can change. Who would have ever thought we would even have a chance to be in a league with some of these teams? Now it’s looking like a possibility.

“Today it could be there; tomorrow it may not.”

Think about a sellout 42,000 at UH’s TDECU Stadium. Or a visit by the Longhorns inside a packed Fertitta Center.

“I’m not going there,” UH football coach Dana Holgorsen said with a laugh about the possibility of the Longhorns being on the schedule in 2023, 2024 or both. “Until they release the schedule, I ain’t going there.”

UH and UT have not met on the football field since the end of a three-game nonconference series from 2000-02. Of course, that included Bleachergate in 2001, when the temporary bleachers at Robertson Stadium failed to pass inspection and left 4,150 UT ticketholders watching the game on a big screen inside Hofheinz Pavilion — rather than at Rice Stadium or the Astrodome, where then-UT athletic director DeLoss Dodds wanted the game moved.

Was that the main reason UT decided, essentially, to never play the Cougars again? Probably not. Admit it: There were years when playing the Cougars in football would have done nothing to boost the Longhorns’ nonconference appeal. The roles have been reversed lately, with UH enjoying more success on the football and basketball court than its neighbors to the west.

UH has 13-win (2015) and 12-win (2021) seasons and a New Year’s Six bowl win in the last six years. Since reaching the national championship game in 2009, UT has five losing seasons and just one 10-win season and is on its third head coach.

On the hardwood, UH has emerged as one of the nation’s top men’s basketball programs, with Final Four and Elite Eight appearances the past two seasons. The Cougars are expected to be a national title contender in 2023.

Not getting the Longhorns on the schedule has not been for a lack of trying. Texas rejected an offer by UH to play home-and-home football and basketball series for reducing the buyout owed former Cougars coach Tom Herman after he bolted for the Longhorns. UT instead wrote a check for $2.5 million.

UH and UT have meet in men’s basketball five times since the breakup of the Southwest Conference in 1995. The last meeting — a 73-72 win by the Cougars at Hofheinz in 2013 — was part of a first-round matchup in the College Basketball Invitational.

Otherwise, UH-UT meetings have been mostly reserved for baseball. Ronald Hughey, a former Longhorns assistant in his eighth season as the Cougars’ women’s basketball coach, almost had a game scheduled for the 2021-22 season.

Second-year UT football coach Steve Sarkisian welcomed the Cougars into the Big 12 — even if the schools will share the league for only a couple years at most.

“Ultimately, having Houston joining, I can speak on behalf of the football program and coach Holgorsen and what coach (Kelvin) Sampson has done with the basketball program, they both had very good seasons. They’ve traditionally grown those programs into a place where they are probably getting into a conference that they should be in, deserve to be in,” Sarkisian said.

Asked whether he would consider putting UH on future nonconference schedules, Sarkisian said outside influences would dictate whom the Longhorns play.

“We don’t know what the SEC is going to look like. … That naturally impacts what you do with your nonconference schedule, so that remains to be seen,” Sarkisian said.

A Saturday in Austin or Houston? A packed crowd inside Fertitta Center or $300 million Moody Center, the latest jewel in the Longhorns’ facility empire?

For UH fans, the dream might be closer than ever.

“I’ll believe it when I see it,” Pezman repeated.

joseph.duarte@chron.com

twitter.com/joseph_duarte

Here you go.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Given that the OU game will always be neutral, I would expect four home and four away every year if we go to 9 conference games.

Yep

4 home conference games
4 away conference games
1 neutral conference game
1 home OOC cupcake game (ULM, ULL, LA Tech, UTSA, UTEP, UNT, Rice, SHSU, TX St)
1 home and 1 away OOC game (mix of former conference schools and P12/ACC/B1G schools)

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I wouldn't mind playing Tech as part of some rotation of former Big 12 conference mates. But every year? No way. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

We're already doing that. Even years, UTSA, odd years UTEP through 2031. 

I know! I am glad we are already doing what I want us to do. May we do it in the 2030s as well.

11 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'm surprised never in San Antonio. I'm not sure how UT is going to function without the Alamo Bowl in the SEC.

Bowl contract go up for renewal in 2025.  Alamo bowl could follow us.  Will have to see how the bowls end up with the new CFP deal could look drastically different.

They could have a 3rd place game, bowls reserved for those teams that lose in the 1st or 2nd round, or just bowls for those who miss the CFP entirely.

Either way games like the Alamo bowl are going to take a hit.  They’ll get either lower quality, unranked/barely ranked teams, or they’ll get teams that lost in the CFP and how many of those players will be sitting out…

On 9/8/2022 at 12:59 PM, HenryJames said:

I don't know if I'll be able to recover from never going to Lubbock again.

It was pretty damn fun strutting back into the Overton Hotel lobby bar after we came from way back and beat their asses a couple years ago. 

Grew up with Hocutt in Sherman, TX.  Hard to believe he’s achieved what he has. If dumb was dirt, he’d cover an acre. He effectively tied himself to Bill Snyder after his playing days (Austin College, KState) and then the Stoops clan when they left for OU. 20-25 year handshake to play Tech seems well, like an acre of dirt.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

They could have a 3rd place game, bowls reserved for those teams that lose in the 1st or 2nd round, or just bowls for those who miss the CFP entirely.

Either way games like the Alamo bowl are going to take a hit.  They’ll get either lower quality, unranked/barely ranked teams, or they’ll get teams that lost in the CFP and how many of those players will be sitting out…

In an expanded playoff, I can't see anyone losing in the first round and then going out in a few weeks and playing a bowl game.   

• Like 1

SMU is the other program we stopped scheduling when the SWC collapsed. Why? Does Bellmont hold a grudge? The only reason I can think of is that SMU boosters hired PIs to investigate Texas (and other schools) when SMU got in trouble for the Pony Express cheating. 

I do like the idea that Bellmont, obsessed as it is with its image, can hold a multi-generational grudge. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/9/2022 at 4:10 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Bowl contract go up for renewal in 2025.  Alamo bowl could follow us.  Will have to see how the bowls end up with the new CFP deal could look drastically different.

On 9/9/2022 at 8:22 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

In an expanded playoff, I can't see anyone losing in the first round and then going out in a few weeks and playing a bowl game.   

On 9/9/2022 at 10:03 PM, TrashMaster G said:

Yeah, that's a dumb idea.

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2022/9/14/23342148/college-football-playoff-expansion-mountain-west-teams-boise-state-group-five

11) First-round games will not have title or presenting sponsors, and existing venue signage will remain in place. The CFP will control the video boards. 

This is noteworthy as it is basically specifying that the first-round games are not bowl games. And the majority of the game-day atmosphere will reflect that, with the exception being the video boards. However, it does seem a bit odd that the initial round of the college football playoff will not be considered bowl games. First off, the college football post-season has been synonymous with bowl games for almost all of its existence. Also, to have half of the playoffs be considered bowl games while the other half are not doesn’t quite make sense. It doesn’t really matter, but it will be interesting to see if this isn’t changed at some point.

So you make the playoff but it will not be considered a bowl game. This seems to me they a setting up the possibility of the first 4 teams (outside the top 4 champs) and get eliminated in the first round, those teams would still be able to play in a traditional post season game like the Alamo Bowl. Possibly a way to extend bowl season since they’ll need more time since they have 11 playoff games to schedule instead of just 3.

It’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

On 9/10/2022 at 8:50 AM, statsman said:

SMU is the other program we stopped scheduling when the SWC collapsed. Why? Does Bellmont hold a grudge? The only reason I can think of is that SMU boosters hired PIs to investigate Texas (and other schools) when SMU got in trouble for the Pony Express cheating. 

I do like the idea that Bellmont, obsessed as it is with its image, can hold a multi-generational grudge. 

The grudge holding is really one of the few things where I both respect and agree with Belmont.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

UH?! Fuck them straight to hell. Anybody willing to play them must be a 20 something. Go read what happened 20 years ago in football and tell me why we should ever play them in another sport again.

You referring to that time they built an erector set for the UT visiting fans to sit in, and ultimately perish in, because there was no way on God's green Earth that it was structurally sound enough to not killz you all?

On 9/9/2022 at 3:55 PM, Deej said:

Tech, at the thought of somehow wrangling an annual game with us...

giphy (5).gif

The Tech people labored under the misapprehension that being a dutiful subordinate to Texas would pay off at some point. This was never going to happen and they were exceedingly dumb for ever thinking that it would.

• Haha 1

how did we lord it up over them?  we supported their move to create a 2nd vet school.

aggy had none of that.

THEY CAN HAVE A GAME.  no one is saying we are not going to play them.  they are just the largest of the texas schools that we will play.  so maybe they get a 3 for 1 and everybody else gets a 4 for 1, interlaced cycles, over 2 decades, and when it' convenient for us.

smu i don't understand why we wouldn't give them a game.

again, 2nd Fair Park game AT NIGHT !!!!!!  once every 10 years would be spectacular

i think we've skipped smu because we already have fair park.

houston doubled down after bleachergate when they killed Campus McRaven.

they didn't just piss off belmont, they pissed off the tower, for probably 100 years

i can see us telling the big12 we will happily forfeit any attempt to schedule us against cat high, home or away

16 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The Tech people labored under the misapprehension that being a dutiful subordinate to Texas would pay off at some point. This was never going to happen and they were exceedingly dumb for ever thinking that it would.

Dutiful subordinate?  My ass.

rakheld.jpg?_ga=2.115608898.57093520.1663293710-1716443509.1663293710

• Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Dutiful subordinate?  My ass.

rakheld.jpg?_ga=2.115608898.57093520.1663293710-1716443509.1663293710

Outside of not agreeing to bury their games on the LHN (which nobody watched), they  always did what Texas told them to, which makes them a dutiful subordinate in my book.

Edited by Satchel

• Pancho changed the title to Texas vs Tech “Agreement”