Culture

Pancho

Is the most major problem the Texas culture?  Not entitled babies, no, that’s not what I mean.  I’m talking greater than that.  How can our players be entitled when we don’t even have the best facilities or corches? 

Every single team can “get up” for Texas.  Why is that?  

Too many 9.95ers?  Is that helping?

It’s not “woke🙄” Austin that’s the problem.  Those people don’t watch UT football unless we are good anyway.

Donors?  Too many chefs in the kitchen?

I’ve heard the phrase “we’re Texas, we don’t do [insert something here]” and I’ve always wondered if that’s the type of mindset that has hampered this program. 

So yes, we know we don’t have the dudes to compete yet, but is that really it?  What is it about the Texas culture that is also part of the problem? 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I'd love to pull Michael Griffin away from the LHN and ask him his honest thoughts about the culture and mental makeup of the average Texas player. I can't help but think how angry he must get watching this team year after year given what his teams were able to accomplish because they weren't tissue soft.

I mean we've been having this same discussion since Mack was here. Charlie was going to restore the toughness of Texas. Herman was going to make them tough and hungry like the Houston players. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Is the most major problem the Texas culture?  Not entitled babies, no, that’s not what I mean.  I’m talking greater than that.  How can our players be entitled when we don’t even have the best facilities or corches? 

It’s not “woke🙄” Austin that’s the problem.  Those people don’t watch UT football unless we are good anyway.

I’ve heard the phrase “we’re Texas, we don’t do [insert something here]” and I’ve always wondered if that’s the type of mindset that has hampered this program. 

So yes, we know we don’t have the dudes to compete yet, but is that really it?  What is it about the Texas culture that is also part of the problem? 

Most of it is luck, but no one wants to hear that.

• Hook 'Em 2

We continually hire unproven head coaches and continually get 7-6, 8-5 like results. I don’t know why anyone is surprised. Sark is exactly who his record says he is- a mediocre head coach that has never lead a P5 or G5 program to anything worth a damn. 

We’re about 5 more years of irrelevance away from becoming Nebraska and or Tenn. Anyone who donates a dime to this program is a fucking idiot. 

I cannot believe we hired this jackass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 8
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

It's 99% coaching. Mack came in, took Mac II's players and immediately improved the program and the "culture."  Since he left, we've hired 1 terrible coach and 2 mediocre ones, resulting in terrible to mediocre football.  We're really not much different than OU before Stoops got there or Bama before Saban.

Fans overweight bullshit like culture and strength coaches.  It's head coaching. Period. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It's 99% coaching. Mack came in, took Mac II's players and immediately improved the program and the "culture."  Since he left, we've hired 1 terrible coach and 2 mediocre ones, resulting in terrible to mediocre football.  We're really not much different than OU before Stoops got there or Bama before Saban.

Fans overweight bullshit like culture and strength coaches.  It's head coaching. Period. 

It was not immediate. It took a few years. Hell, he ended 1999 with a three game losing streak and everyone wanted to fire him.

I 'member.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It’s almost like hiring unproven head coaches isn’t a winning strategy. Who knew?

We’ll do the same thing in 3 years all over again. Our administration and athletic dept is run by complete morons. 

Are we, as fans, ever going to come to terms that we are just a slightly above-average program who stockpiles talent but can't win with it, outside of 3 coaches, one who needed a transcendent QB to win a title and the most accurate passer in NCAA history to almost win another? 

924 wins all-time but 44% of those came from 3 coaches.  Only 4 national titles and 32 conference titles total.    If you take out DKR, Mack and Fred - only a winning % around 65% with 17 conference titles and 0 national titles. 

I'm coming to terms with this is who we are.   We were spoiled by Mack/VY/Colt.  Otherwise - a big fat meh. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Yes...it's the overall culture that's the problem. And yes, everything you mentioned is part of it. And then some.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Yeah but here's the deal on hiring a great coach. Who was that exactly when we had the chance? Who was the better choice than Charlie at the time? James Franklin? I guess. He's not beating Ohio State ever. Jim Mora Jr? He's not even in college anymore. Don't say Saban as that's not reality.

Who was the better choice than Herman at the time? 

Who was the better choice than Sark when Urban said lol, no

When we pushed Mack out, we ran this exact risk, not hitting on the next guy. It's what Tennessee did after Fullmer. It's what Michigan did after pushing out Carr. I'd argue any coach worth his salt won't come to Texas because it's too much of a beating. If it were as great as we claim, it shouldn't be difficult to peel a decent coach away from an existing program. But it's not because we can't. We have to take projects and hope they can make it. 

And Urban (and Saban before him) said no because the Texas culture is fucked and they could see it a mile away.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Are we, as fans, ever going to come to terms that we are just a slightly above-average program who stockpiles talent but can't win with it, outside of 3 coaches, one who needed a transcendent QB to win a title and the most accurate passer in NCAA history to almost win another? 

924 wins all-time but 44% of those came from 3 coaches.  Only 4 national titles and 32 conference titles total.    If you take out DKR, Mack and Fred - only a winning % around 65% with 17 conference titles and 0 national titles. 

I'm coming to terms with this is who we are.   We were spoiled by Mack/VY/Colt.  Otherwise - a big fat meh. 

I came to terms with it a long time ago. That's why I still get mileage from 2005. The previous national championship came the year before I was born.

Texas will have breakout success every now and then. If we get really lucky, it will be a national championship. But we are never going to be Alabama. Football isn't that important to the university. Plus, we make gobs of money without having to be Alabama.

We continually hire unproven head coaches and continually get 7-6, 8-5 like results. I don’t know why anyone is surprised. Sark is exactly who his record says he is- a mediocre head coach that has never lead a P5 or G5 program to anything worth a damn. 

We’re about 5 more years of irrelevance away from becoming Nebraska and or Tenn. Anyone who donates a dime to this program is a fucking idiot. 

I cannot believe we hired this jackass.

Stupid comment is stupid. Who should we hire? Urban? Saban? Fucking Brian Kelly?? Yeah, we tried that... They didn't wanna come.

I've always thought of our fan "culture" as an issue and always hoped it wouldn't permeate to the players, but I suppose it has.

The disturbing thing to me, that I see...or rather, don't see is an extreme lack of player leadership.

Outside of Sam, who I think had "it"...who has been a real leader over the last decade plus of suckitude?

Hell, who are the leaders of this team? Seems like it's a bunch of JAGs at every position.

I’m pretty nauseous over last nights game but the pragmatic section of my brain says these “herman” kids were full of false bravado. They were inflated in the rankings, babied if they were workout warriors or practiced well, and none of them with that previous staff improved even a little bit. Sark and company inherited a big pile of unrolled charmin toilet paper. Arkansas defensive lineman might be shit but playing bama, lsu, and auburn year after year makes you angrier and tougher. Herb hand ruined our OL, herman ruined our wr’s, and that stupid yancy ruined all our defensive players with that over bulking bullshit. We have a long way to go but this staff is built correctly I believe. Time will tell. 

• Hook 'Em 4

But also at this point, how many coaches are actually "proven"? Every single option outside of Saban, Dabo, and maybe Lincoln and Kirby Smart has some sort of on the field  downside/negative/baggage that raises questions. Not to mention, why would anyone leave their "winning" position to come to Texas? Texas is a top tier job, but it's still a tier - not many coaches want to make a lateral movement. 

I think our culture is synonymous with our "brand". The worry about our "brand" is one of the worst evolutions of the sport. We got into the SEC because of our "brand". What exactly is our "brand" though? It's not excellence on the field. It hasn't been that since 2009. It's not toughness on the field like when our OL was beasting the fuck out of the entire Big 12. 2005-2009 should be what our brand is all about. Somewhere along the way we lost that. Now it's more about being a Texas football player, one of the most high profile "brands" in college football.

It's no different than the Dallas Cowboys. Other franchises have passed that one by for almost 20 years now. It's still the most high profile, best paid brand in the NFL. I'd trade all the dumb shit we hang our hat on like a nice stadium, our own network, Austin, all of it for a winning culture. Mack and everyone in the program coasted after Colt.

I couldn't help but shake my fist at Whittington dropping a TD and other 3rd down passes that could've helped us claw our way back into the game. But hey, he got his NIL money and got to throw out first pitch at an Astros game. Based on what exactly? I worry NIL is going to make the entitlement worse. I'm not opposed to guys getting paid. I am opposed to guys getting paid when they don't actually perform on the field. But that horse is out of the barn. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

It’s not “woke” Austin that’s the problem.  Those people don’t watch UT football unless we are good anyway.

All good questions that may be unanswerable.

I'm not sure Nick and Urban together could figure it out. Shit is just broken. Maybe it's time for us to just accept it.

It's obvious and has been obvious for many years now that we're not stockpiled with talent in the area that matters most today, linemen.  You can throw their star rankings out as they are guestimates at best. Our evaluations have been complete misses and the "locks" haven't been swayed to even think about coming here.  It's one thing to need to convince 1 guy, but everyone sees we need 5 guys. We need the equivalent of the Michigan Fab 5 but with lineman to happen.

Portal must be the initial route to have any chance

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

You clearly have not been paying attention. You can't win football games in a culture of micro-aggressions and trigger warnings. Beta males don't get laid or win national titles. 

Who are these beta males on our team that are holding us back that y'all keep mentioning?  What the fuck are you even talking about?  

2 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

You clearly have not been paying attention. You can't win football games in a culture of micro-aggressions and trigger warnings. Beta males don't get laid or win national titles. 

No one has the balls to say it, but it’s this. Look no further than those teams full of redneck Proud Boys at UCLA & Oregon that physically dominated LSU & Ohio St this year. Even UTSA caved on that “come & take it”nonsense and their downfall was immediate, barely winning 54-0 yesterday. It’s a societal problem as well.

• Haha 8

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not to mention the vast majority of those 32 conference titles came in the SWC, without OU in the conference.

Bigtime success is the exception for this program, not the rule. Approach it as such as a fan and you'll enjoy it more.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

The venn diagram of message board posters calling using beta male as a pejorative and incels is a single circle.

• Hook 'Em 1

You win football at four positions. QB, Oline, Edge Rusher and CB. Culture all you want and it’s a problem but we will continue to do this until those four positions are well stocked and well coached. I could give a flying fuck about the rest. You dominate those four places the rest will take care of itself. 

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Not to mention the vast majority of those 32 conference titles came in the SWC, without OU in the conference.

Bigtime success is the exception for this program, not the rule. Approach it as such as a fan and you'll enjoy it more.

That's not true for OU though. It all goes in cycles. OU led college football in the 50s under Wilkerson. Then DKR came in and revolutionized the game with the Wishbone. We dominated the 60s. Then Switzer came in and had a hand in driving DKR out of football. Then Akers didn't pan out fully and the dye was cast until Mack stepped foot in Austin. The problem is OU has hit on their hires. They had the luxury of promoting their coordinator who already knew how to maintain their winning culture. So it's no wonder why OU hasn't skipped a beat while having markedly less resources than Texas. We've had now 3 head coaches with 3 different ideas about football culture since Mack fell asleep on the job. None of them were capable of instilling a winning culture. Sark has a chance but early returns aren't positive. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You win football at four positions. QB, Oline, Edge Rusher and CB. Culture all you want and it’s a problem but we will continue to do this until those four positions are well stocked and well coached. I could give a flying fuck about the rest. You dominate those four places the rest will take care of itself. 

You say this but does OU have all 4 of these? They definitely consistently have QB and OL. Defense has always been what gets them bounced out of the playoff. I'd add skill positions like WR are important now in the spread era or whatever we call this offensive era of football that Lincoln calls. 

16 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It's obvious and has been obvious for many years now that we're not stockpiled with talent in the area that matters most today, linemen.  You can throw their star rankings out as they are guestimates at best. Our evaluations have been complete misses and the "locks" haven't been swayed to even think about coming here.  It's one thing to need to convince 1 guy, but everyone sees we need 5 guys. We need the equivalent of the Michigan Fab 5 but with lineman to happen.

Portal must be the initial route to have any chance

The State of Texas for all the talent in football produces shit for linemen and coaches are scared to recruit out of state because they are scared to piss of Texas HS coach dickheads and get double top secret banned from recruiting that school

Texas HS coaches feel their players deserve a spot on a Texas university football team and they will shit on the ones that do not take their head cases and "starz" yet they do not have the same desire or ability to do that to out of state programs because they still want to get their players as many options as possible

no Texas college coach has had the balls to step up and challenge that and to say "fuck it we will build a team with mostly out of state talent if that is how you want it"

that goes double with the soft ass 7 on 7 football culture with small lineman that get pushed around in college that prevails at the high school level

• Like 4

Year after year it’s the same soft baby shit no heart culture.    What do you think would have happened if someone submarined Bryce young’s knees yesterday.  Or DJ uguglgkfllali knees. His linemen would have went ape shit. Someone would have gotten dealt with.  Our linemen watched didn’t even say shit to the ref. Didn’t say shit to the def. they were scared soft bitches afraid of violence.  Too many people on this team are afraid of violence. We have no pipe hitting insult my manhood killers. There’s likely a few and you can see it in the young guys but this team like every year prior is ok with getting smacked. These dudes would watch another man fuck their wife and not deal with it.  That’s how soft this shit is 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You say this but does OU have all 4 of these? They definitely consistently have QB and OL. Defense has always been what gets them bounced out of the playoff. I'd add skill positions like WR are important now in the spread era or whatever we call this offensive era of football that Lincoln calls. 

OU doesn’t win football. They win the Big 12. To your point when they get into more meaningful tussles their weakness is exposed.  We will no longer have the luxury of playing teams wanting to win the Big 12 with our move to the SEC. we will be playing teams who are looking to win football.  We will need it all if that is our goal. 

And yes OU does the offensive side of those four pieces just about better than anybody. 

We do none of the four particularly well and here we are. 

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I've always thought of our fan "culture" as an issue and always hoped it wouldn't permeate to the players, but I suppose it has.

The disturbing thing to me, that I see...or rather, don't see is an extreme lack of player leadership.

Outside of Sam, who I think had "it"...who has been a real leader over the last decade plus of suckitude?

Hell, who are the leaders of this team? Seems like it's a bunch of JAGs at every position.

Thompson possibly could be.  I'd like to see him get a shot and have him start yelling at our shitty OL to get their shit together.

Sam led by playing like he hated Texas losing but he wasn't gonna jump anyone's shit when they were fucking up.

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Who are these beta males on our team that are holding us back that y'all keep mentioning?  What the fuck are you even talking about?  

That guy's a fucking idiot. 

I'm not giving up on Sark yet, it's only his 2nd game with a room full of previous regime recruits. Texas has lacked 4 things since it fell apart.

1) Dominant top 2 or 3 QB in the country. We can't even get a top 10 guy. Ehlinger was a nice story but just a decent QB. Nobody before that was even decent other than one game from Ash against Ole Miss. 

2) Stout offensive line. 2005 and 2006 had this. Steadily got worse after and now it's the biggest weakness on the team. 

3) Stout defensive line. This team should have that. Yesterday they got pushed around and it's so disappointing. 

4) Excellent special teams

Until those get fixed, and maybe a move to the SEC and jettisoning the joke that is LHN will help, this program will be 9-10 win ceiling hovering around 7-8. I think Sark and the staff he brought in can get us to that ceiling but they have to at least get better lines and find a top QB. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

OU doesn’t win football. They win the Big 12.

I don't know, my dude. I wouldn't have minded winning the Big 12 some and getting bounced in the playoff to our reality of watching our rival dominate our conference since Colt went out against Bama. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Rage+1 1