Xavier Worthy - 2024 NFL Draft Bound

Machinator

12 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

During the broadcast after the longball drop I swear they mentioned tension between players on sideline where coaches and other players had to intervene? Has anyone covered that or am I dreaming that?

9 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Sanders was, rightly, less than pleased with Worthy. 

Correct, Sanders was pissed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nope said:

Like Addison did?

Addison didn’t go to UT first.  there’s a nut-kick factor here.  worthy will win the biletnikoff but only if he leaves UT.  if he stays here he’ll suck and drop passes and loaf and we’ll hate him. if he leaves he’ll be a transcendent talent that dominates the game. 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t know what sark sees, but I see a receiver that needs to be running 7s, 9s, screens, and crosses. He still drops some of those, had one last night, but he’s much better with those routes where he is essentially facing the ball coming at him. He doesn’t do well with anything overhead or close to it like posts, seams, gos. 

any vertical routes for him should be called such that he is field side and deep, to create the most angle possible for him to receive the ball, and ask Quinn to flatten the throws.  Puts a lot of pressure on his arm that way. 

but it’s like his neck isn’t flexible enough to turn far enough around to pick the ball up in time to go to it. Or something. 

X needs a longer more supple neck, such as old school Merton Hanks. 

173a3513f0f1c7ada425f38ce02d7988.jpg

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll take the optimistic approach. I hope X learns from tonight and uses this as fuel to be a complete badass for us next year. If he wants to be a mercenary, then Sark and co need to treat him like that by sitting him down and saying he failed the team from a production standpoint point. Challenge him to show all of us he’s worth a shit. Maybe he’ll rise to the occasion, maybe he’ll continue sucking. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

I wouldn't go so far as to claim he lost the game, the lines getting their ass kicked/held killed the run game and made the game more difficult and Sark is a poor evaluator of talent on the team.   He seems to have some loyalty towards KRob, when he should be playing the best player, or maybe he was worried about turnovers and decided to go with the experienced back.   

Worthy,  I don't know.  Dude is just too small/weak to do the job and lacks the hands or heart.   Their WRs pick the ball up inches from the turf or leap up into the air to make the catch, and our guys cannot seem to reliably catch balls that hit them in the hands.  

I hope like hell he puts it together but damn, did he even practice?

He lost us the game. Period. There were other losing contributions, but X lost it. 

Just now, Brothahorn said:

When a player has continously shown you who he is, and the coach still keeps calling his number that is just terrible coaching. You the boy can't run certain routes worth a damn and yet he somehow keeps ending up on those routes. How is that possible?

because we don't have a better receiver yet

moose out front should've told you

we are just now getting our recruiting classes back to where they haven't been in decades. that coaching you're blaming is a big part of that. no sark, no Arch. Arch will bring better receivers, just like Simms did.

3 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

God this is so wrong. Great is subjective but he was damn good and did dominate on many occasions.

He had 1 above average season in 2018 with about 900 yds and 6 or 7 TDs. His other seasons he had under 750 yds and 3 or fewer TDs. That's not being great, considering he had the size and ability to do a lot more. Some of it was on the offense as a whole not being great, especially the line, but by no measure was that great. He was ok and arguably underachieved in regards to his ability. 

Yeah, he blew it. And I guarantee you he feels shittier than everyone screaming at their TVs last night. The idea that he's dogging it and not trying is fucking stupid. But he does have serious defects in his game, ha.

Just now, Hermanator said:

He had 1 above average season in 2018 with about 900 yds and 6 or 7 TDs. His other seasons he had under 750 yds and 3 or fewer TDs. That's not being great, considering he had the size and ability to do a lot more. Some of it was on the offense as a whole not being great, especially the line, but by no measure was that great. He was ok and arguably underachieved in regards to his ability. 

You didn't say he was not great. You said he was "ok" and never dominated. And you were wrong.

1 minute ago, mwaadeeb said:

Yeah, he blew it. And I guarantee you he feels shittier than everyone screaming at their TVs last night. The idea that he's dogging it and not trying is fucking stupid. But he does have serious defects in his game, ha.

You didn't say he was not great. You said he was "ok" and never dominated. And you were wrong.

Go back and Read the post I quoted and the part of the post I quoted that I bolded and hurry back to edit this nonsense. Quickly while you still have time. 

Then go take some time off

I don’t blame Marion. This is squarely on a kid that has talent, but instead of putting in the work, relies solely on talent…all the while being distracted by NIL and seemingly everything not football. Again, he’s only interested in earning money and not the respect of teammates and others. It’s simply immaturity and it’s what separates good from great

22 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

It was actually pretty characteristic. Then again he thinks he's like 3 times as good as he actually is. 

17 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

at UT  1. LJH easily 2. Colin Johnson 3. Devin Duvernay

Dear Lord what are you smoking. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I remember when this site collectively pooled $10k last year to give to him as a reward for playing well through a shitty season, and he wouldn't pick up the phone. In hindsight that was a pretty big red flag. I am glad J Brooks got that money instead.

What? Please elaborate.
  • Like 1

Yes, Johnson. You know, the guy that actually got drafted and is also still in the NFL and was a great receiver here. 

I seem to recall his performance as underwhelming. Maybe I am wrong. Or maybe I am right and he learned to deal with DBs a bit better in the league. But I’ll defer to you here.

I can’t find it anywhere, but on recollection alone, Marques Colston talked about a drill he did in college, where numbers were painted on each of the four panels at both points of the football. He’d have to call out what number was on top every time he caught the ball.

X needs to do this.

There. Problem solved. Y’all are welcome.

3 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I can’t find it anywhere, but on recollection alone, Marques Colston talked about a drill he did in college, where numbers were painted on each of the four panels at both points of the football. He’d have to call out what number was on top every time he caught the ball.

X needs to do this.

There. Problem solved. Y’all are welcome.

women's softball team used to do something like this, IIRC.

Edited by Nivek

I was all for keeping worthy even after this year but after last night I’m with everyone. If he leaves, he leaves. Meh. What was telling to me was after his first drop. Nobody goes up to him to encourage him or anything and he doesn’t even point to himself like that was on me. I could be reading into it more than I should but he doesn’t care. Quinn and worthy did not help each other this year but after all those failed attempts I would at least like to see another wr get as many targets. Like Cain. I know Cain isn’t worthy taken level but at this point if he can catch the ball that’s all we need.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

I was all for keeping worthy even after this year but after last night I’m with everyone. If he leaves, he leaves. Meh. What was telling to me was after his first drop. Nobody goes up to him to encourage him or anything and he doesn’t even point to himself like that was on me. I could be reading into it more than I should but he doesn’t care. Quinn and worthy did not help each other this year but after all those failed attempts I would at least like to see another wr get as many targets. Like Cain. I know Cain isn’t worthy taken level but at this point if he can catch the ball that’s all we need.

Yep. Talent or not, Cain had a great game last night. 

Production. That's all that matters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

This is a big part of the problem. JWhitt and Worthy are not guys that excel at going to get the ball or making contested catches. WR corp doesn’t have that guy currently or nobody has shown that ability yet. Sark/Marion need to find that guy. 

You need to leave JWhitt out of this conversation. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. Talent or not, Cain had a great game last night. 

Production. That's all that matters.

Cain was covered by the third (and then fourth after an injury) best corner of a poor secondary.

If we depend on him for production next year we are going to be in trouble.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

i'm very up on Tre Wisner. He's got major star potential and can catch the ball, has the footwork to break free from the DB and great hands.  Only question -- is he true 4.4 or more 4.7? 

I have no idea, but looked fast af in that video. Like eye-popping speed. Combined with the vision and incredible setup moves, he's lethal in space.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, futureman said:

how much can we blame on Marion?  you know if he goes to USC he’ll catch 80 balls for 1600 yards. 

Marion: "on this play don't look for the ball"

"You want to just butterfingers in that catch and drop it man good work there we go"

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

This is a big part of the problem. JWhitt and Worthy are not guys that excel at going to get the ball or making contested catches. WR corp doesn’t have that guy currently or nobody has shown that ability yet. Sark/Marion need to find that guy. 

Can't say they didn't try

Billingsly and Hall were busts, Neyor injured ..

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Sometimes it’s best to just STFU. 

Sometimes it is. Sometimes "I fucked up and I need to do better" is OK, too, though.

Someone, imo, needs to spend the next eight months with a Jugs passing machine, some tennis balls, and a knowledgeable trainer. He has the physical ability to make a lot of money but not if he can't even hold on to the equivalent of a long handoff. Could be wrong.

• immamac changed the title to Xavier Worthy - 2024 NFL Draft Bound