The cotton bowl is a shit hole

Mitch Cumsteen

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I'm assuming the lack of employees also contributed to why they were herding everyone through the metal detectors at the entrance into the fairgrounds. I swear I was hearing beeping as some people were walking through but no one was being stopped.  

Ha - going through gate 11 around 9:30 in the football fans line, the metal detectors were were solidly going off non-stop and security didn’t give a shit.  I just laughed and thought well, today may be my day…..

• Like 1

we went into the stadium a little before 10, very easy to get concessions then (i should have opted for water than a fucking $11 bud lite).  didn't go back down until halftime as i could have really used a bottle of water at that point, took one look at the line and said fuck that shit and decided i would wait for 2 coupon bottled water after the game.

my sister in law said they didn't even look in her clear bag she took in.  next time im gonna load one of those up with bottled water and skip out on cotton bowl concessions all together.  

aside from the need for a bottle of water, i have no complaints about the actual game experience yesterday.  getting out of the stadium was a bit of a clusterfuck, but its a small price to pay for such an incredible environment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know that the service industry is in the fucking dumps but that shit was ridiculous yesterday. I'm pretty sure the concessions in the super dome during Katrina were better. The lines for water/soda/Gatorade had to be, what, 300 deep? It was hotter than hell and they were completely unprepared. I'm surprised nobody had a heat stroke. I wasn't even planning on drinking beer during the game, but that was the only liquid that you could buy without waiting forever. I pounded 5 tall boys at the smooth price of $11 apiece just to have something to drink. 

It also took almost an hour to get into the stadium. Electronic tickets suck. Just a complete shit show all the way around. It's never, ever been close to good there but yesterday was next level bullshit. I never would want the game to move but they should be able to do so much better. 

Tell us you just took a job working for Jerry Jones with out telling us you took a job working for Jerry Jones.  

Y’all are taking your anger and directing to all the wrong places. The place is a college football mecca. However, I wouldn’t mind moving it back in the schedule a week to the last Saturday of the fair to perhaps minimize 90 degree days. 

Gonna be 72 degrees this Saturday.

Edited by Constant
  • Hook 'Em 2

As for anyone who thinks the SEC will ever impact the location of Texas / OU, or any other dynamic of that game, then you are stupid beyond belief.

As is, Texas / OU is one of the 5 greatest sporting events in this country. Any sport.  Anywhere.  Any event.

Don't be stupid.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

Y’all are taking your anger and directing to all the wrong places. The place is a college football mecca. However, I wouldn’t mind moving it back in the schedule a week to the last Saturday of the fair to perhaps minimize 90 degree days. 

This never fails to not piss me off - you can count on it being at least 10-20 degrees cooler starting on the weekdays just after Texas-OU.
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is a very legit point.

2 hours ago, TxEx84 said:

Funny.  While sitting there during the game for the 47th time, I was thinking of what a perfect stadium it is.  Love the Cotton Bowl.  In fact, I miss when they had those metal chairback seats and your knees would bang against the row in front of you.  The Texas/ou game should not be comfortable.  The crowds, pissing troughs, small seats, inconvenient location are all apart of the charm.  Embrace it.

I'm a long legged 6'2" and those fucking chairback seats sucked

3 hours ago, chemHORN said:

There were easily more people in that stadium than there were seats.  That was part of the problem. The seats were packed and so was the area under the stands.  Especially in the endzone.  

The problem is they get so busy they give up and more people come in without tickets. Saw this firsthand a few years ago when we were near the student section. People on top of each other and they’d keep moving seats. Lucked into having a kid bail me out by sharing his whiskey. I blew through my flask in the first quarter. 

3 hours ago, chemHORN said:

There were easily more people in that stadium than there were seats.  That was part of the problem. The seats were packed and so was the area under the stands.  Especially in the endzone.  

The problem is they get so busy they give up and more people come in without tickets. Saw this firsthand a few years ago when we were near the student section. People on top of each other and they’d keep moving seats. Lucked into having a kid bail me out by sharing his whiskey. I blew through my flask in the first quarter. 

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:
I've been to 30 plus OU games.   One of the Brown abortions in 2001 was played in the low 40's and rain, and mirrored that clown's team.  Given that temp I guess we should move the game to late August?

Texas / OU in the Cotton Bowl, 2nd Saturday in October, is simply fantastic. The Bowl needs some work, okay. Big deal.  You have a problem with crowds / concessions?  Get there earlier.   The weather?  it's Texas, you faggots. It can be 90 one day and 40 the next in October.   Remove your tampon and appreciate the beauty of this event.

Dear lord.

so is that the end of this thread?

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Why would they update it?   I’m not from the DFW area, but do they hold enough events there over the course of a normal non COVID year to justify the spend?

Schools tell them to update the shithole or we’re going to Jerry’s world.

13 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

so is that the end of this thread?

Not by a long shot.

I first went in '79 and yes it has improved, just not kept pace with the rest of the stadium world. 

I still get stuck driving down there, and it's my least favourite part. The outbound traffic has the second most suckagge of anything there.

We did the pre game get together at the African-Amercian Museum, then over to the stadium about 10:15. Went in the B gate because A was jammed. They didn't say anything about the wrong gate, but the guy about 4 in front of had a ticket that wouldn't scan, seemed to think that maybe if he got her to just keep trying it, it would work. After about try 32 they made him move.

I managed to get waters for everyone from a walk around vendor before KO, after that you are on your own, I didn't come here to eat or drink. I came here to watch my team and yell "OU SUCKS" so much and so loud that I can't talk the next day. I accomplished that one this year and many in the past.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, The Gimp said:

Schools tell them to update the shithole or we’re going to Jerry’s world.

Which school?   Texas?  OU?  Both athletics directors have said they'll die before moving the game to another location.  For good reason, not the least of which is that every (right minded), influential alum who has eve experienced this game would defund their contribution to the school as quick as you could turn your head.

Some of you need help.

I also chuckle at the moron earlier who said Dallas hasn’t spent money on the Cotton Bowl. Over 60 million has gone into the Cotton Bowl since 2008. They’ve done as much as is humanely possible to add seating, concessions, restrooms, and entrances. It is a logistical nightmare because it is a tiny venue surrounded by buildings and choke points everywhere you look. There’s who knows how many thousands of people milling about outside of the Cotton Bowl not even going to the game which adds to the mess. Again, it’s one f’ing game a year. Yeah, they’ve should’ve had more concessions. That’s on the Fair but I bet they’re not having an easy time finding workers. The out of the way beer place we go to the in the Automobile building was closed this year. That’s never happened before. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The concessions were horrible yesterday there was no food hardly at the top and yes the beer and water lines were ridiculous. The main problems that I have with the Cotton Bowl is that it’s completely a concrete jungle so unless you’re in the press box there’s no Wi-Fi and cell phone signal is horrible in there too. 

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Jerry World is a terrible place to watch football. And I’m not a hater, I’m a Cowboys fan. It suuucks. 

Facts. I get tickets for the big 12 championship every year and the 2018 rematch with OU didn’t even feel like a college football game. I hated that atmosphere. It definitely cannot top the Cotton Bowl in the state fair. 

54 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:
I've been to 30 plus OU games.   One of the Brown abortions in 2001 was played in the low 40's and rain, and mirrored that clown's team.  Given that temp I guess we should move the game to late August?

Texas / OU in the Cotton Bowl, 2nd Saturday in October, is simply fantastic. The Bowl needs some work, okay. Big deal.  You have a problem with crowds / concessions?  Get there earlier.   The weather?  it's Texas, you faggots. It can be 90 one day and 40 the next in October.   Remove your tampon and appreciate the beauty of this event.

Dear lord.

2000, but agree on all counts…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I also chuckle at the moron earlier who said Dallas hasn’t spent money on the Cotton Bowl. Over 60 million has gone into the Cotton Bowl since 2008. They’ve done as much as is humanely possible to add seating, concessions, restrooms, and entrances. It is a logistical nightmare because it is a tiny venue surrounded by buildings and choke points everywhere you look. There’s who knows how many thousands of people milling about outside of the Cotton Bowl not even going to the game which adds to the mess. Again, it’s one f’ing game a year. Yeah, they’ve should’ve had more concessions. That’s on the Fair but I bet they’re not having an easy time finding workers. The out of the way beer place we go to the in the Automobile building was closed this year. That’s never happened before. 

It fascinates me that anyone would choose that day to go to the Fair if they’re not going to the game. 

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

The concessions were horrible yesterday there was no food hardly at the top and yes the beer and water lines were ridiculous. The main problems that I have with the Cotton Bowl is that it’s completely a concrete jungle so unless you’re in the press box there’s no Wi-Fi and cell phone signal is horrible in there too. 

Polol. WiFi?!?

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

Worried about the concession lines for your kids. Haha.

My dad: "Shut the fuck up! You can eat when it's over."

Actually you take your kids so they will stand in line and get your shit for you.   Some of them boogers are smart enough to know Dad is going to too much into the game to ask for his change.    I’ve probably lost hundreds of dollars in change with three kids when they were younger.   Now i have to do it myself.  lol. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I still get stuck driving down there, and it's my least favourite part. The outbound traffic has the second most suckagge of anything there.

I'm parked in about 10 minutes for free, and out in 5. But I park on the same street every year, and I live and come in from the East.

Been going since 1981.  Went yesterday with my wife.  My twins who I've been taking since they were 10 are seniors and sat 3 sections over from us in the student section.  With them graduating in May I'm wondering if it's time for this tradition to end for me.  For the last 25 years I've said I'm tired of dealing with 6 hour drives in traffic jams to get to Dallas, the nightmare of getting to the stadium by car or the shitshow DART manages every year.  Sick of leaving dehydrated and sunburned.  Fed up with losing to those inbreds half the time.  I'm too old to put up with pissing in a trough, backbreaking seats, and the craziness of getting in and out of the stadium.   It's a no-brainer, I can watch it on my 65 inch TV at home, in AC, with no bathroom lines, and not spend the shit-ton of money like I do every year.  Yeah, it's a no-brainer, but I guess I don't have a fucking brain cuz I'll probably go again next year and every following year till I'm pushing up daisies.  

Edited by Zone Read
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Also, never move it to Jerry World. If it has to move, move to a home and home. That would be much better than the sterile environment of an NFL stadium.

For maximum carnage make it a home and home then give the opposing fans half the tickets.  Will be like the Roman colosseum except all the beheadings will be in the stands.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

I'm parked in about 10 minutes for free, and out in 5. But I park on the same street every year, and I live and come in from the East.

Yeah I live just NE of DFW, I'm still in (corrupt) Dallas county but not by much. It was just short of an hour to get from the place I parked to my local Tex-Mex hole in the wall of choice.

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol complaining about concessions at a football game is like complaing about sides at a bbq joint. Who fucking cares?

its pretty fucking easy. Ive done it 17 straight years. Start to enter the stadium at least 20-25 min before kickoff. If you want concessions, get there even earlier. Its not that fucking hard. Or ya know… you could buy water or beer or food at the fucking fair and eat and drink before.

i fucking love that the stadium is built into the ground and there arent “ramps” to go up to get to upper deck seating. Time from inside the gate to my seat was less than 3 min

good god some of you are women

Posters, lurkers, and what have yous. Listen to this man. And if you disagree. Well, then go fuck yourself.

• Hook 'Em 1

If they invested that much, it shouldn’t be a shithole.  Of course it might have need up in politicians and their contractor supporters pockets.    Happens with school districts in South Texas a whole bunch. 
Thats exactly what happened. Contractors did bare minimum, paid off key council members and pocketed the rest. The Afgan "government" aint got nuthin on Dallas county..

The Texas Ou game in the second Saturday in October in the middle of the Texas state fair with the crowd split 50-50 is the greatest atmosphere in all of sports and some of you gaping vaginas want to move it because it takes too long to get your coke.
Well allow me to retort.
Go fuck yourselves. Go to the nearest HEB and buy your fucking Coca Cola and your Zima and your Michelobe ultra and sit on your ugly ass fucking couch and watch the greatest game in sports in comfort from your shitty couch in the woodlands. 
I havent seen a single person in this thread suggesting the game move anywhere, (unless the Cotton Bowl is condemned, then home and home) but thanks for your insightful thoughts.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Some of you have horrible luck or weird expectations or something.  I'm fucking awful at planning details of a day like this and ended up not really planning shit and everything went pretty damn smooth.  Had a hotel room downtown.  Traffic from downtown to some close in parking was easy and quick leaving the hotel at 8am.  Had nothing more than a vague idea of where to park and ended up easily parking in one of those makeshift lots a couple hundred yards or less from the front gate.  Met friends, found a ton of wonderful shitty foods and beer.  Headed into the stadium about 10:40.  That took a little bit with the crowds at the scanners, but nothing that would get my panties in a wad.  Once inside it was up easy to get to the seats.  Made it well before kickoff.  Midway thru the 1st I made a concessions run... 10 minutes tops and a shitload of cold drinks for everyone.   Went again in the 3rd and found most drinks sold out.  They only had Mountain Dew and Pepsi.  I hate Mountain Dew and Pepsi.  I happily drank Mountain Dew and Pepsi because who fucking cares?    Of course it took a while to get out of the stadium afterwards but again... so what?  Kids and I checked out some cars and ate a little more and left the fair less than an hour later.  Had some traffic for 5-10 minutes and then open roads all the way out of Dallas.  

And not kid friendly?  Granted, my kids are old enough to not only be not bothered by a few key-placed "Motherfuckers" but to actively insert a few of their own... but still I never saw a single thing all day that wouldn't be appropriate for a kid.  We talked about the idea of coming across some methhead sister-fucker types and the drama that could come with that.  But we never saw anything other than people from both sides acting more or less reasonable.  I've had worse fan experiences at DKR.

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, ousux said:
15 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:
The Texas Ou game in the second Saturday in October in the middle of the Texas state fair with the crowd split 50-50 is the greatest atmosphere in all of sports and some of you gaping vaginas want to move it because it takes too long to get your coke.
Well allow me to retort.
Go fuck yourselves. Go to the nearest HEB and buy your fucking Coca Cola and your Zima and your Michelobe ultra and sit on your ugly ass fucking couch and watch the greatest game in sports in comfort from your shitty couch in the woodlands. 

I havent seen a single person in this thread suggesting the game move anywhere, (unless the Cotton Bowl is condemned, then home and home) but thanks for your insightful thoughts.

The title of the thread is “the cotton bowl is a shithole.” I guess you’re saying that means the OP wants to keep the game in the shithole. That’s a jujitsu move I suppose. 

Since I started this bitch fest, let me clarify that I'm okay with standing in a quarter inch of piss in the bathroom. I don't need or want 50 fucking gourmet food options. I don't mind for one second the metal bleachers (although I did really dig the old blue and white fold up seats). I love that shit hole fucking stadium despite the fact that I have endured some of the worst fucking football beatings in my life there - I'm still waiting for that asshole from Miami to come out of the tunnel and seeing that fat fuck Roy Williams (the evil one) on the OU sideline Saturday gave me PTSD. 

I would, however, like to experience the privilege of buying an $8 bottle of water without missing 60% of the football game when it's 95 fucking degrees outside. An RC cola to mix my bourbon would even be better but I don't want to come off as a snob. Those idiots probably lost a million dollars in beverage sales yesterday. And if, by chance, I could avoid being herded like cattle into the stadium ass to dick with a bunch of mouth breathing sooners for 45 minutes in a scene that had to violate every fire code ever, then that would be cool too.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1