Texas BBQ

Washpark

13 hours ago, RMac5 said:

I’m not sure 44 Farms will sell to me, I think they have become so popular they are restricting their market. I will call and check, hopefully it’s just the brisket that’s allotted to existing customers.

Pretty sure there are some retailers who they wholesale to that you can get it from, no?

I have a burger joint, maybe they will sell to me that way. We don’t do bbq, I figured all of their bbq cuts went to those already established with them. I will call and see.  I have never even looked or them in retail stores, figured it was like hangar steak and you had to get a butcher to save it for you. So much of the odd and ends gets ground into burger meat. I will start the search.

40 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

I have a burger joint, maybe they will sell to me that way. We don’t do bbq, I figured all of their bbq cuts went to those already established with them. I will call and see.  I have never even looked or them in retail stores, figured it was like hangar steak and you had to get a butcher to save it for you. So much of the odd and ends gets ground into burger meat. I will start the search.

Are wanting to source Beef Cheek for you personally or for your restaurant? I'm assuming your vendor is/may be Ben E. Keith per Champ (BEK)?

We do have an account at BEK but mostly use Sysco and PFG. This would just be for my personal use at home, push come to shove I can just go to “will call” at BEK and pick em up.

I have a large commercial freezer in my barn/shop and could just freeze whatever I didn’t smoke. How long would the cheeks take at 250-275°? 

On 5/27/2019 at 9:24 AM, ChampKind said:

I don’t think so. You can order some stuff directly through their website, but pretty sure that they are otherwise direct to food services or through BEK

I know what I was thinking.  We have a small grocery store here that has a small butcher case that sells some of their products.  The 44 Farms website shows all the places in each major area that carries their products.  MOST are restaurants, as you mentioned, but some apparently are butcher shops or grocers.  Here's a link to the DFW locations (two are specialty grocery store type places - the rest are restaurants)...

https://shop.44farms.com/pages/dallas-ft-worth

Here's Houston's list which is much larger - I'd be shocked if at least a few of these aren't butchers or grocers...

https://shop.44farms.com/pages/houston

Here are links to the rest for all the lazy surly bastards outside of Houston or Dallas...

https://shop.44farms.com/pages/austin-san-antonio

https://shop.44farms.com/pages/other-cities

2 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

Be shocked. Those are all restaurants.

Huh, I'll be damned.  Well, sorry Houston.

I will say, in full disclosure, the place that carries them in Dallas (Highland Park technically) just has a couple on hand at all times and they are STUPID expensive from what I remember.

I've been out of the loop for a few months - what's new and good in Houston now? Champ - you're gone already, right?

Have been to: Killen's, Corkscrew, Feges, Pit Room, Pinkerton's, Blood Bros., Roegel's, Gatlin's, (old) Pappa Charlie's.

Maybe Tejas? How is Truth doing these days?

I've been out of the loop for a few months - what's new and good in Houston now? Champ - you're gone already, right? Have been to: Killen's, Corkscrew, Feges, Pit Room, Pinkerton's, Blood Bros., Roegel's, Gatlin's, (old) Pappa Charlie's.

Tejas for sure. It’s in my personal top 5 in the state. Don’t skip on the Chile relleno sausage. Never had a bad meal there.

Edit: If Willow does another pop up, definitely check it out. He was doing amazing bbq before he decided to shut down. I believe he still plans to cook at someone else’s joint in the near future.

Truth was very good the last time I went (a couple of weeks ago).

• Like 2

On 5/26/2019 at 8:57 PM, ChampKind said:

Not even close. Clod is very similar to the flat of a brisket in texture and fat content, though my palette says it tastes more gamey. Clod works great for product you would put shredded or chopped beef in. And some CenTex places use it as “lean brisket”.

Cheek has the texture of beef plate rib, but the richness you might expect from beef that was dry aged for 21 days or so. When it has been braised or cooked at low temps by sous vide it is really spectacular.

Just to check on this, when you say low temps in sous vide you talking steak temps of 130, or something else?  During the summer I pretty much avoid the oven and stovetop as much as possible so sous vide/grill/smoker gets most of the work.  After having Leroy & Lewis beef cheek I'm looking to add it to the beef rotation at home, it was spectacular.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I've been out of the loop for a few months - what's new and good in Houston now? Champ - you're gone already, right?

Have been to: Killen's, Corkscrew, Feges, Pit Room, Pinkerton's, Blood Bros., Roegel's, Gatlin's, (old) Pappa Charlie's.

Tejas is the correct answer.  Brisket, chile relleno sausage, and carrot souffle are a must.

On 5/26/2019 at 8:57 PM, ChampKind said:

Not even close. Clod is very similar to the flat of a brisket in texture and fat content, though my palette says it tastes more gamey. Clod works great for product you would put shredded or chopped beef in. And some CenTex places use it as “lean brisket”.

Cheek has the texture of beef plate rib, but the richness you might expect from beef that was dry aged for 21 days or so. When it has been braised or cooked at low temps by sous vide it is really spectacular.

clod is mealy to me...very distinct texture when it breaks down.

I am officially out on City Market in Luling. I praised this place for years when I first learned about them in 2007. It was terrible today. Dry brisket. Dry ribs. Greasy sausage that came apart when slicing. It's no longer worthy a stop when passing through. Hopefully baker boys in Gonzales is still good. 

• Like 1

Posted this in the Fort Worth thread.

Went by a new place called Derek Allen BBQ. Brisket and Sausage was good but ribs were burnt and the rub tasted weird. Nothing special about the sides.28073b7b0eb03525074ac674194435a7.jpgb021f31a890c2220756fcbd3af3187fe.jpg3aa74d57f13e6cbd1f5293f09d9b80e8.jpg36a3e86b335abf733440b8507b8a8a1c.jpg6a0280f6e864ca45f514bd5f2a15beb4.jpg08d894bfcd4ff2f7ae0368714386ab7a.jpgfa16e7d7463a926316ade3537e095e9d.jpg016edf97664cb92daf676e23e944689a.jpg9fb01070b984ea76851ec1e326271724.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They could’ve at least put some peaches in the beans.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dmtx said:

I am officially out on City Market in Luling. I praised this place for years when I first learned about them in 2007. It was terrible today. Dry brisket. Dry ribs. Greasy sausage that came apart when slicing. It's no longer worthy a stop when passing through. Hopefully baker boys in Gonzales is still good. 

what a sad decline. use to drive past the lockhart places to hit LCM. 

Tejas for sure. It’s in my personal top 5 in the state. Don’t skip on the Chile relleno sausage. Never had a bad meal there.  
Edit: If Willow does another pop up, definitely check it out. He was doing amazing bbq before he decided to shut down. I believe he still plans to cook at someone else’s joint in the near future.

Truth was very good the last time I went (a couple of weeks ago).

Tejas is the correct answer.  Brisket, chile relleno sausage, and carrot souffle are a must.

We did end up doing Tejas and it didn't disappoint. Beef rib and chile relleno sausage were both a rock solid A+. Fatty brisket was also excellent, lean brisket was just OK. Pulled pork was very good for pulled pork. Regular sausage and pork ribs were fine but nothing special.

Several people recommended the carrot soufflé in advance but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Sides in general were unremarkable. The chocolate is damn good though.

We got there right at noon and line was about an hour. Free Lone Stars while in line is a nice touch.
  • Like 2

Tender Smokehouse of Celina opened the Frisco location this week. Just had time for a quick lunch so only tried a few things. Moist brisket was very good. Potato Salad was good but I prefer more mustard. Mac n Cheese not good. Runny and soupy.
No beer yet but looks like they will have a nice bar once they get up and running fully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 5/30/2019 at 7:33 PM, ChampKind said:

Huh, smoked meatloaf at a bbq joint. Who would have ever thought to do that?! Genius!

* Patrick is a very good friend and called me to clear the meatloaf before he rolled it out.

Champ, what's the craziest BBQ idea you've had that worked out? 

Also have you ever done a tri tip? I didn't get to try it at Victorians before they closed. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I need to hit Flores up in their new location, I really miss them being in Whitney, they were much easier for me to get to. 

I have been eating at Guess BBQ in Waco, their food is very good but it seems like their popularity has dropped off some, never a line or crowd when I run by.  Tried to go by Red Wagon bbq in Waco the other day but they are not open on Wednesday’s, only Friday and Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

I need to hit Flores up in their new location, I really miss them being in Whitney, they were much easier for me to get to. 

I have been eating at Guess BBQ in Waco, their food is very good but it seems like their popularity has dropped off some, never a line or crowd when I run by.  Tried to go by Red Wagon bbq in Waco the other day but they are not open on Wednesday’s, only Friday and Saturday.

Yea I went to Guess 2 weeks ago at around 11:15 and was the only person there for 45 minutes yet there hundreds of people in the general area. This was on a Thursday.

Hitting Blacks' (Lockhart) on the way down to San Antonio this week and Salt Lick on the way back.  Yes, I know.  Cliche and they suck now.  Before moving back to DFW (from TN) last summer, Salt Lick was a dream of mine.  We're going through Lockhart, and Black's seems to be the go-to there.

Hitting Blacks' (Lockhart) on the way down to San Antonio this week and Salt Lick on the way back.  Yes, I know.  Cliche and they suck now.  Before moving back to DFW (from TN) last summer, Salt Lick was a dream of mine.  We're going through Lockhart, and Black's seems to be the go-to there.

Skip salt lick and go to Hays county or Valentina’s. Otherwise you will eat at salt lick and be dreaming of something better.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

I miss Flores too. Have you tried Helberg? The day we went, the brisket was exceptional.

Haven't tried Guess, afraid of the silo crowd. Have to try it after seeing the post above.

Never heard of Red Wagon, have to try that one as well. Is there any seating or is it to go only?

Blacks is the go-to on Sunday because the other two famous places aren’t open. Don’t sleep on Chisholm Trail though.

Salt Lick has a really fantastic environment, very good sides and average meat that would be amazing anywhere but central Texas. Go to the Salt Lick and have a good time.
  • Like 3

I unfortunately have to agree. It’s just gotten consistently worse over the last three to four years. What a shame.

@Errestaurants I was there at noon and was only the third person there, I was afraid it was going to be way crowded and I walked right up and ordered. It has been that way the last 2-3 times I went by. I know they are building a b&m and should move in soon, I would be somewhat concerned if I was in their shoes. All the people milling around are coming to and from the silos at the Chip and Joanna circus. 

@Liteitup I am to dumb to check their schedule and just assumed they would be open on a Wednesday, they are not. Pretty neat setting with a mercantile and general store that was open, just not bbq. They do have seating and plenty of parking. I have been to Helberg’s and thought it was good too. 

Edited by RMac5

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Skip salt lick and go to Hays county or Valentina’s. Otherwise you will eat at salt lick and be dreaming of something better.

salt lick is fine every few months or so.  it’s a fun BYOB experience and eating a loaf of that white bread soaked in that sauce is awesome.  meat is wildly inconsistent but if you get lucky it can be pretty good.

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Why would anyone knowingly do this?  I mean, you’re literally saying, I’m driving by some really great places and going to some shitty ones instead.  On purpose.  Not for cost or convenience or any other reason.  Simply because...because what?  I never understood people like you.

• Like 1