Texas BBQ

Washpark

Driving from Dallas to San Antonio today.  In a bit of a time-crunch so what's the best place to stop between here and there without too much of a wait?  Because I ain't doin central Texas without doin some proper BBQ.  And don't tell me Dickies you fuckers.

Driving from Dallas to San Antonio today.  In a bit of a time-crunch so what's the best place to stop between here and there without too much of a wait?  Because I ain't doin central Texas without doin some proper BBQ.  And don't tell me Dickies you fuckers.

Maybe too far into the trip, but I would suggest Hays County in San Marcos. Shouldn’t be much of a wait.

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Micklethwait (sweating my balls off), Styles Switch or Hays County? 

Wife (no pics) doesn’t feel like getting stabbed today. 

Hays is usually pretty spot on. My usual order, and I take home a good bit of it, is a couple of slices of moist, a jalapeno cheddar ring and some hatch chile mac and cheese with a couple of slices of wheat and a sweet tea.

As pointed out, its got a ton of inside seating now and the wait rarely tops 10 minutes.

3 hours ago, relapse98 said:

Hays is usually pretty spot on. My usual order, and I take home a good bit of it, is a couple of slices of moist, a jalapeno cheddar ring and some hatch chile mac and cheese with a couple of slices of wheat and a sweet tea.

As pointed out, its got a ton of inside seating now and the wait rarely tops 10 minutes.

Went with Hays.  Great rec...thanks.  Will report back with pic once I get to a computer

• Like 1

So, I completed a BBQ crawl this weekend starting from Austin and went throughout Houston.  Got to Snow's early, then hit up Truth and then tried Roegel's, Pinkerton's, Gatlins, Pit Room, Killen's.  Was hoping to get Tejas and Corkscrew in, but couldn't make it in time Saturday.

Truth was as badass as usual.  Very, very solid offerings from Roegel's, Pinkerton's and Pit Room.  Killen's was pretty good (they had Wagyu burnt ends that day), and Gatlins was very pedestrian.  I got fatty brisket, sausage and ribs at all places as a comparison.

Overall, I was very impressed with quite a few Houston joints.  I could see the next top spot coming from one of those spots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voltronjacko said:

So, I completed a BBQ crawl this weekend starting from Austin and went throughout Houston.  Got to Snow's early, then hit up Truth and then tried Roegel's, Pinkerton's, Gatlins, Pit Room, Killen's.  Was hoping to get Tejas and Corkscrew in, but couldn't make it in time Saturday.

Truth was as badass as usual.  Very, very solid offerings from Roegel's, Pinkerton's and Pit Room.  Killen's was pretty good (they had Wagyu burnt ends that day), and Gatlins was very pedestrian.  I got fatty brisket, sausage and ribs at all places as a comparison.

Overall, I was very impressed with quite a few Houston joints.  I could see the next top spot coming from one of those spots.

I predict that the next #1 will be someone you did not name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Went to Miller's today, first time in quite a while. I got the half chicken which is pretty dang good. It's the only meat they serve  now that's better than it was at the old place, and not dropped off in quality. But it's like shake-n-bake barbecue, no smoke, just a nice spicy, crispy rub the coats it 100%. But it's good.

Cole slaw was mushy. After the first half inch layer or so it was edible. I don't think I'll get it again...if I go there again. Only once out of about five times since the re-location has the slaw been good, crispy and fresh. They should buy out Schoepf's just to get their cole slaw, best I've ever had (though their barbecue is total shit).

I do like sitting in the area with the bigass windows facing Central Ave...when it's open.

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

Cole slaw was mushy. After the first half inch layer or so it was edible. I don't think I'll get it again...if I go there again. Only once out of about five times since the re-location has the slaw been good, crispy and fresh. They should buy out Schoepf's just to get their cole slaw, best I've ever had (though their barbecue is total shit).

who gives a frog’s fat ass about cole slaw?  not me. 

5 hours ago, mbtex said:

Will be driving through Hondo is Heavey bbq any good.

Assuming that you are driving 90 west out of SA.  Stop at Dzuiks in Castroville.  Grab a 1/2 of plain parisa and a 1/2 with peppers, a sleeve of saltines, and a couple dried sausage links. May some jerky. And keep right on down 90 with a buffet laid out on the console.  

• Like 1

City Limits BBQ in Crandall was a heavenly experience today. Tried everything and somehow had room for pie (yeah, yeah...I sound fat), and it was totally worth it. Nice portions, reasonable prices. Huge fan of the people, the clean establishment, and the food they are cranking out. 

Will go back and actually remember to take pics next time, dammit.

http://www.citylimitsbarbecue.com/

Anybody remember Dozier's Market in Fulshear?  We had a ranch a bit west of there and my dad always would swing by there and pick up bacon and whatever else looked good.  I remember it's being really good back in the day.  Probably not on par with some of the Top50 joints today, but it was an old fashioned market, meat processor with BBQ as a way to keep things moving. 

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Anybody remember Dozier's Market in Fulshear?  We had a ranch a bit west of there and my dad always would swing by there and pick up bacon and whatever else looked good.  I remember it's being really good back in the day.  Probably not on par with some of the Top50 joints today, but it was an old fashioned market, meat processor with BBQ as a way to keep things moving. 

Still there.

The bbq is fair, but the bacon, sausage, jerky, ham slug, etc. are great.

We make the drive out there a couple of times a year but I'm already out west.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2018 at 9:11 PM, dcbc said:

Was great early 90s but place has been sold a few times I think. 

Parents live close to there but haven’t been in for years 

Edited by Washpark

7 hours ago, Washpark said:

Was great early 90s but place has been sold a few times I think. 

Parents live close to there but haven’t been in for years 

Found their website and a local news story on them.  Definitely has sold.  Mentioned Ed Dozier in the history section of the site.  I remember that guy stacking up that thick bacon for my dad.  I also remember that it used to smell amazing.  Probably why I always smoke with some pecan wood (and hickory).

Had some BBQ from Prause's in La Grange today.  It's not mind blowing, but it's a cool, old meat market that's been owned by the same family forever. They cook over coals on an old cinder block pit.  They had one thing that was excellent today though.  A pork rib roast that they bbq'ed whole and then sliced in to steaks.  It was damn good and I am going to be on the lookout for one to make myself.  They also bone out a pork shoulder and then roll it up and tie it before cooking.  It is also good.  They're sausage is nothing special and the brisket is ok at best.  The brisket we had today was cut wrong.  The pork is worth a stop though.

Edited by kevwun

On 7/19/2018 at 9:11 PM, dcbc said:

We would get our deer processed there.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Had some BBQ from Prause's in La Grange today.  It's not mind blowing, but it's a cool, old meat market that's been owned by the same family forever. They cook over coals on an old cinder block pit.  They had one thing that was excellent today though.  A pork rib roast that they bbq'ed whole and then sliced in to steaks.  It was damn good and I am going to be on the lookout for one to make myself.  They also bone out a pork shoulder and then roll it up and tie it before cooking.  It is also good.  They're sausage is nothing special and the brisket is ok at best.  The brisket we had today was cut wrong.  The pork is worth a stop though.

I know I'm memory laning this thread the last couple of days, but back in the early 90s, there used to be a guy that would set up on the weekends on the Austin side of the Hwy 71 overpass in Lagrange.  Some of my best brisket memories from that time.  He went big time at some point and added a picnic table so people could sit down.  My mom used to stop and pick up brisket and sausage and bring it to me when she'd visit.  He died at some point and that was the end of the BBQ shack.  But that dude could cook.

As for Prause's, we were on a road trip in the late 90s and saw the billboards for that place.  "Come check out our trophies," they said.  So we stopped.  Turned out the trophies were trophy bucks and the BBQ was not that good.  Sounds like it's improved a bit since then.  I don't make that drive much these days, but I will give it another try if I do.

Edited by dcbc

Just now, kevwun said:

I know the spot you are talking about, but I never tried it.

According to Google Maps street view, the picnic table still is there and a shack, now called "State BBQ" is there.  It's definitely not the same guy.  But it might be worth a try.