Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/06/open-post-weekend-june-14th-16th/

Thirsty Thursday | Dynamic Duo, On Parr, New Offers & More
– Darius Terrell

Welcome back to another edition of Thirsty Thursdays! As always, I’m here to try to help quench your thirst for Longhorn Football in the drought of the offseason, along with other topics of interest in Longhorn sports this week.

Texas offers 2021 In-State RB

Late Monday evening, Texas made the move to make just their 2nd offer to a Running Back in the 2021 class within the borders. Cy Fair RB LJ Johnson, Jr. was the recipient of the offer and I was able to get in contact with LJ to get his thoughts on the offer:

“It was very exciting and shocking to get an offer from Texas because it was very unexpected.”

How did you find out about the offer?

“I found out about the offer when I was on the phone with Coach Drayton and Coach Tom Herman.”

What are some of your strengths as a player? What are some things that you need to work on?

“I think that some of my positives as a player are my ability to hit the hole and my vision. As far as things to work on, playing at one speed and becoming a better leader for my team are two things.”

Johnson, who already holds offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, TCU, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Michigan, told me that he has a visit planned to UT this weekend, so the mutual interest is definitely there. He told me that he’s originally from Louisiana and was an LSU fan as a youth, but says that that isn’t really the case any longer.

Johnson barely missed to cut on my initial Texas Top 25 for 2021, but he was extremely productive as a Sophomore and it is no surprise at all to see him getting so much early attention. Here was my initial write-up on him a few months ago when I previewed the RBs in 2021:

“His statistics brought me to his tape, as Johnson rushed for over 1100 yards and 23 touchdowns as a Soph. His school still uses a lot of “I” Formation and a Fullback, which was fun to watch. His running style reminds me a bit of former Texas RB and current LA Rams RB Malcolm Brown. Top-end speed may be a slight concern.”

My Take: Johnson has some big-time offers and the staff clearly thinks very highly of him for them to make him only the second back that they’ve offered so far in the class. He was very excited about picking up the UT offer and will be in town to visit soon. This one looks really good for the Longhorns early.

Getting Ahead of the Curve

Many fans are already aware of the big pool party and recruiting event that Texas is hosting next weekend for many members of the 2020 and 2021 recruiting class. Paying attention this week and last, I noticed a healthy amount of offers going out to younger prospects, which is a different approach to what Texas has done in the past. Here is a list of prospects that have been offered in the past week and names to follow moving forward:

2021 CB Ishmael Ibraheem, Dallas (Kimball)

2021 S JD Coffey, Kennedale

2021 CB Latrell McCutchin, Austin (LBJ) (Committed to Alabama)

2021 RB LJ Johnson, Houston (Cy-Fair)

2021 DL Marcus Burris, Texarkana (Pleasant Grove)

2021 LB Clayton Smith, Texarkana (Texas High)

2022 DB Christian Driver, Argyle (Liberty Christian)

Texas will also play host this weekend to these three names to watch:

2021 RB Brandon Campbell, Pearland

2022 S Bryce Anderson, Beaumont (Westbrook)

2022 ATH/RB Jaydon Blue, Klein (Cain)

IT

Top 2021 quarterback Jalen Milroe visited, what's the status there? This one is a bit tricky because the staff is in good shape for Preston Stone and he should decide before the end of summer. Milroe has Tim Beck’s attention, and the 6-foot-3, 190-pounder has a work ethic unlike most. Milroe has been recommended for an offer but Tom Herman likes to see quarterbacks throw before signing off. He was at a speaking engagement when the Milroes visited. From the Milroe angle, there seems to be a shelf life for their interest. Bama is pushing and they love to leverage guys. Say Milroe is the #2 or #3 recruit on their board and the #4 guy calls up and wants to commit, they'll work down their line of preferences and take whoever is ready and the highest on the board. It seems Milroe can commit right now. This just doesn't look like it will work out unless an offer is extended soon, and of course with Stone in play, or even likely to be in the class, the staff may have already found its man. If they press the number two in the class, Milroe will be nearly impossible to circle back to without an offer after this recent visit. Because he already understands the way the game is played at Bama I'd be enticed to play it that way. Offer but say you aren't ready to take a commitment. Then you can play that, 'if neither of us are married by the time you're 40' game.

On Stone, SMU seems to think it has a chance but we can't really buy that. They're shooting high, we'll give them that. Their "back-up plan" is Behren Morton.

— Camar Wheaton (Lakeview Centennial, 2021) likes UT as much as he doesn't like recruiting. We like how this is trending. If you didn't buy stock two weeks ago you already missed out on a lot of opportunity. Don't feel bad, it caught us off guard too. It isn't out of the realm of possibility the future five-star running back shuts things down in the coming weeks or days.

— Juan Davis (Everman, 2021) holds an offer and fits the profile of what the staff is looking for. He's a hard-nosed kid who doesn't watch football, he plays it. One of those guys. He could play B-backer, and schools are looking at him at defensive end, but he likes to employ that defensive mindset on the offensive side of the ball at tight end (he is open to defense, though). His recruitment hasn't blown up yet so this is another good, early ID by the staff that is playing early dividends.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

Top 2021 quarterback Jalen Milroe visited, what's the status there? This one is a bit tricky because the staff is in good shape for Preston Stone and he should decide before the end of summer. Milroe has Tim Beck’s attention, and the 6-foot-3, 190-pounder has a work ethic unlike most. Milroe has been recommended for an offer but Tom Herman likes to see quarterbacks throw before signing off. He was at a speaking engagement when the Milroes visited. From the Milroe angle, there seems to be a shelf life for their interest. Bama is pushing and they love to leverage guys. Say Milroe is the #2 or #3 recruit on their board and the #4 guy calls up and wants to commit, they'll work down their line of preferences and take whoever is ready and the highest on the board. It seems Milroe can commit right now. This just doesn't look like it will work out unless an offer is extended soon, and of course with Stone in play, or even likely to be in the class, the staff may have already found its man. If they press the number two in the class, Milroe will be nearly impossible to circle back to without an offer after this recent visit. Because he already understands the way the game is played at Bama I'd be enticed to play it that way. Offer but say you aren't ready to take a commitment. Then you can play that, 'if neither of us are married by the time you're 40' game.

On Stone, SMU seems to think it has a chance but we can't really buy that. They're shooting high, we'll give them that. Their "back-up plan" is Behren Morton.

— Camar Wheaton (Lakeview Centennial, 2021) likes UT as much as he doesn't like recruiting. We like how this is trending. If you didn't buy stock two weeks ago you already missed out on a lot of opportunity. Don't feel bad, it caught us off guard too. It isn't out of the realm of possibility the future five-star running back shuts things down in the coming weeks or days.

— Juan Davis (Everman, 2021) holds an offer and fits the profile of what the staff is looking for. He's a hard-nosed kid who doesn't watch football, he plays it. One of those guys. He could play B-backer, and schools are looking at him at defensive end, but he likes to employ that defensive mindset on the offensive side of the ball at tight end (he is open to defense, though). His recruitment hasn't blown up yet so this is another good, early ID by the staff that is playing early dividends.

That’s 2 different 9.95ers saying Wheaton could shut it down for the good guys soon. Can not be understated how big that would be. 5 star monster

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Just got around to watching Wheaton’s hudl. Holy shit sign him up. Got a lot a juice. Reminds me of Etienne. 

I've got juice. Sugar-free. Good for the teeth. Gave some to your mom last night.

3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

That’s 2 different 9.95ers saying Wheaton could shut it down for the good guys soon. Can not be understated how big that would be. 5 star monster

Probably based on a report from the same source or possibly one based on the other report. 9.95ers are pretty shit lol but if it is from IT I'm willing to give them an ounce of credibility.

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

Why didn't Milroe just camp this weekend and throw?

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

That’s right you little beta cucks. All you need to do is eat some delicious pineapple and all your timid fat little girlfriends will have an insatiable thirst for your disgusting jizz. That’s it. That’s all you gotta do. You may not even know why your girlfriend is making you eat pineapple every day. It’s because she just loves sucking your dumb oblivious dick. You will get tricked into getting BJs!

You weirdos are so weird.

Sometimes it's better to re-read your post and ask yourself, "Is this really worth posting?" 

Unwarranted anger. 

• Like 1