2021-2022 Texas Winter Weather Thread

Hate

Houston gonna get a good ol' 40 degree drop between now (83) and Sunday morning (44). Austin gonna try for a solid 50 (83->35).

Won't last long, back to 80's, muggy and overcast Tue-Thu. Next cooldown is unlikely before next Saturday 12/18. 

Long range, certain to change forecast for Xmas weekend: Not cold by any means, but at least somewhat seasonal. Should top out in high 60's.  

• Like 1

^

Are you in Austin?  I thought it was just me.  I'm back inside now but there was something weird going on with the sky an hour or so ago.  Not a haze/fog/moisture thing I don't think, something else.  weirded me out.  Maybe PhDhorn can 'splain.  We're not due for that African dust shit or anything right now?  All allergens read low to normal.   

On 12/9/2021 at 10:06 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Winter south of I-20  in Texas doesn’t begin in December. I fully expect to be in the 70s on Christmas Day. 

FIFY.

This year, even up here in the Panhandle, we've had like 2-3 mornings below freezing.  My yard is still green.   Last year we had significant snow in mid October.

Great, 80 degrees and muggy this afternoon when I'm going to my daughter's elementary school gingerbread making party outside.  

I'll be sweating and all the milfs will think it's because I'm nervous around all the hot yoga pant ass.  

And yes, yes I am.  

26 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Great, 80 degrees and muggy this afternoon when I'm going to my daughter's elementary school gingerbread making party outside.  

I'll be sweating and all the milfs will think it's because I'm nervous around all the hot yoga pant swamp ass.  

And yes, yes I am.  

fify. Don't let appearances fool ya. 

Not quite that soupy, but certainly trending close to that.  Works out well for those of us doing outdoor family celebrations, I guess?  Even if we look "moist" on our holiday photographs.  

15 years in a row of my trees not knowing what the fuck to do at the Solstice.  Kinda getting annoying.  I'm sure we'll be praying for a balmy reprieve during the next grid failure, but I dunno---nothing wrong with a jacket on and a mug of coffee/cocoa with a splash of bourbon while the kids open their stockings on Christmas morning.  You have to admit there's something inherently weird about hearing a mom tell the kids, "Y'all need to hydrate before going outside to play with your new toys from Santa!"  

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

This weather is like an Oklahoma meth whore. Fucking all over the god damn place.

Look on the bright side...dead calm and muggy as taint balls out there tonight for mid-December.

At least we're not getting Wind Cancer.

Wait, are we?  How can you tell?  Dammit! 

Edited by Lobo

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

Look on the bright side...dead calm and muggy as taint balls out there tonight for mid-December.

At least we're not getting Wind Cancer.

Wait, are we?  How can you tell?  Dammit! 

Nothing like the AC, set on 70, running half the night because it's 68 outside with 90% humidity.  

On 12/10/2021 at 3:50 PM, Lobo said:

^

Are you in Austin?  I thought it was just me.  I'm back inside now but there was something weird going on with the sky an hour or so ago.  Not a haze/fog/moisture thing I don't think, something else.  weirded me out.  Maybe PhDhorn can 'splain.  We're not due for that African dust shit or anything right now?  All allergens read low to normal.   

might be all the dust/dirt/cowshit blowing in from out slorch's way:

16 hours ago, slorch said:

70mph winds in the Panhandle today.

It sucked...and blew.

They are saying maybe snow later this week where I am. Which would be nice, considering its a damn tinderbox up here right now.

68.4°: The average temperature for December so far in Houston, a record for the warmest first 16 days of the month.
11: The number of 80° days recorded at Hobby Airport so far this December. (tying a record; it should be broken today)
9: The number of 80° days recorded at Bush Airport so far this December. (the record should be tied today)
5: The number of record warm low temperatures set or tied in Galveston this month.

Yes, it has been the warmest start to December on record in Houston