2021-2022 Texas Winter Weather Thread

Hate

2 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I made some faucet protection the other day.  Set it up for electricity, but if we lose power I slip in a tea light candle with a small clay to keep the heat.

20211219_120059_resized.jpg

20211219_120035_resized.jpg

20211219_120350_resized.jpg

Wait what?  You ran exposed and uninsulated 120v AC into a faucet cover that might have dripping water?

Bold strategy Cotton.

Look man, Jesus was almost certainly born in late fall or mid spring, so the average daytime temperature in Nazareth in April is about 74°, and in September about 79°, so it's right on the money for the true Sprint of Christmas.  What's this 40's-50's wishlist shit?

Buncha Druids or Norsemen on this thread.

Edit:  And yeah, he grew up (not was born) in Nazareth, duh, but hey, Bethlehem is even warmer (well, considering we're not exactly sure which Bethlehem it was, more or less this is true).

Merry convertible-top-down Christmas, one and all.
(If Tiny Tim didn't live in freaking cold, sooty London, he probably would have survived and grown up to be an MMA star or something).

Edited by phdhorn
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

Wait what?  You ran exposed and uninsulated 120v AC into a faucet cover that might have dripping water?

Bold strategy Cotton.

Well, I appreciate the feedback and observation.  There wasn't much I could do about the way the lamp base was made.  I used 16 ga THHN with ring terminals on the ends at the base and inside the plug.  I can simply turn the box horizontal and tuck the plug end inside the box itself to protect it from the elements.  Right or wrong as I see it, the end where it plugs in would under the box itself and not very likely to see rain.  We got Christmas lights strung around the haus that aren't rain protected.  If the faucet were dripping, then it should seep through between the bricks and Styrofoam edge on the haus.   If nothing else, I can make a small gap on the bottom edge to let significant water by.  This idea was meant only for short term usage, like when we all were freezing our ass off last winter.  Just sharing an idea so someone might could improve on it or make one for themselves.  I grew up on well water, so we always kept a light at the pressure switch just in case. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Well, I appreciate the feedback and observation.  There wasn't much I could do about the way the lamp base was made.  I used 16 ga THHN with ring terminals on the ends at the base and inside the plug.  I can simply turn the box horizontal and tuck the plug end inside the box itself to protect it from the elements.  Right or wrong as I see it, the end where it plugs in would under the box itself and not very likely to see rain.  We got Christmas lights strung around the haus that aren't rain protected.  If the faucet were dripping, then it should seep through between the bricks and Styrofoam edge on the haus.   If nothing else, I can make a small gap on the bottom edge to let significant water by.  This idea was meant only for short term usage, like when we all were freezing our ass off last winter.  Just sharing an idea so someone might could improve on it or make one for themselves.  I grew up on well water, so we always kept a light at the pressure switch just in case. 

There are products on the market which are actually safe. Try Amazon.

Yeah, flirting with 90 with the heat index is not ideal...but we're doing outdoor Christmas at my "Covid is a Hoax" cousin's house in Hays County...so I guess we'll take it?  Meh.

Had plans to do with bourbon and cigars with her husband and father in cooler weather to celebrate both of them doing better after some health scares.  But I guess it's "Gentlemen, let's get wild and get super hydrated on water and maybe have a beer later, when we stop panting."  

Getting my daughter a new rod 'n reel that's more her size and want to take her fishing day or two after Christmas.  But I don't even know what the fuck hits at 85 degrees at the start of Winter?  

Ah well, could be worse...I could be stuck in cold ass Western Kansas having to once again explain to my wife's aunts and uncles that yes, Jesus was Jewish.  His parents were Jewish.  They worshipped as Jews.  They lived as Jews.  "What's that?"...."No!  They weren't Christians!  It wasn't an option!"  

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

New forecast showing 86 fucking degrees on Christmas Day.  No way in hell I can justify having a fire on Christmas morning now unless I fire up the smoker just for shits and giggles.  

Last couple of weeks:

• flipflops
  • Sweater
  • Flipflops
  • Sweater

Rinse.  Wash.  repeat

16 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

vKnfZUBx5g-Tq0hqyrg9Es_DbAFvKiA21yIUffnl

I tried.  You pull the fuckin' trunk on it and the light's s'posed to go on...and it didn't go on, I mean, I...

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Gooby said:

I'll be visiting my folks in New Braunfels on the 26th.  You can bet your ass we're taking a Christmas pic in the river.

Yep.  We'll be at the ranch in Kimble County where the forecasted high is 89 on Saturday.  That means this year's Christmas pic will be in shorts, t-shirts and snake boots.  

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hottest xmas day in Houston history - 83 degrees in 2015

forecast for saturday - 85 degrees

jesus

That shit was ridiculous...even for SE Texas

7 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Once I resigned myself to the fact it was going to be a bit warm for Christmas, I'm kind of digging it.  It's not hot by any means and is down right pleasant the last few days.

This is alright.

Great weather. Kids swam at the beach today. I need to water temp to be over 85 to get in past my knees personally, but they loved it.  So did the grandparents, who hadn’t left Austin or seen much of their family since the pandemic started 

HA!  Only got to 79 at Mabry yesterday.  So 5th warmest.  Didn't pass second-place 80°.

I for one welcome our New Ice Age overlords.

(personally I love the weather - cold is for snow sports only, otherwise it's useless).

Next thing you know, Angles, Saxons, and Jutes will be on the move again.