Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

Elko has a solid reputation throughout college football and I generally trust the good things players/analysts say about him.  But not an ideal situation to come back to CS as a bandaid to "beat Texas" next year and keep their prized recruiting class together. If they have a leash on Elko they're not gonna get the most out of him. 

We had to roam the desert for over a decade to get the culture/program back on track.  A&M has similar institutional hurdles. They got burned by giving Jimbo all the power, but the reality is they still need a HC that can build it his way. 

• Hook 'Em 4

• Replies 72.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

How the fuck does Bjork still have a job or will they fire him after Elko is all settled in? They could have had Elko easy Saturday and no fuckery (and yes it’s aggy but HC searches are ugly.) I am old enough to remember our BMDs meeting GB at the airport and telling him not to get on the plane because we were hiring Mack Brown. I’m just happy we won’t be going through a HC search any time soon. Because Damn. 
Looking at the open HC spots for teams. Not fun..:

I would assume the BOR would have to say, we need to stop the bleeding and stabilize the program, so let's keep Bjork for the time being.

But that's a terrible assumption on my part and I am starting the rumor that the BOR got CDC but CDC can't talk right now because he is busy packing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Elko has a solid reputation throughout college football and I generally trust the good things players/analysts say about him.  But not an ideal situation to come back to CS as a bandaid to "beat Texas" next year and keep their prized recruiting class together. If they have a leash on Elko they're not gonna get the most out of him. 

We had to roam the desert for over a decade to get the culture/program back on track.  A&M has similar institutional hurdles. They got burned by giving Jimbo all the power, but the reality is they still need a HC that can build it his way. 

He may end up being a good head coach. He is definitely a good defensive coordinator but has seemed a little overwhelmed as a head coach, and that was at a place with zero pressure on the head coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, coachherman'sgrill said:

I would assume the BOR would have to say, we need to stop the bleeding and stabilize the program, so let's keep Bjork for the time being.

But that's a terrible assumption on my part and I am starting the rumor that the BOR got CDC but CDC can't talk right now because he is busy packing. 

They could just keep Bjork as athletic director "in name only".  His only responsibility going forward is to get the BOR members coffee and shine their shoes.  The BOR will have direct control over the athletic department without the pretense of a middleman.

Sure, it's a terrible idea, but as we've seen this weekend, there is no shortage of terrible ideas emanating from Collie Station.

Edited by orangebird

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He may end up being a good head coach. He is definitely a good defensive coordinator but has seemed a little overwhelmed as a head coach, and that was at a place with zero pressure on the head coach. 

Perhaps.  I concur that we underestimate him at our own peril.

That said, it's notable that he couldn't really beat anybody with a pulse while at Duke.

11 minutes ago, orangebird said:

They could just keep Bjork as athletic director "in name only".  His only responsibility going forward is to get the BOR members coffee and shine their shoes.  The BOR will have direct control over the athletic department without the pretense of a middleman.

I know who they need to hire

plonsky_chris_mug_250x305.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

46 minutes ago, Blotto said:

The coaster is out of the shop, and the rubes are getting in line...

Screenshot_20231127_075218_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.43daf3473459151adc7565c2cae84aa0.jpg

Look for Elko to bring in Warren Buffet and Charlie Munger as coordinators.

Hold the phone..."the greatest one-year turnaround in FBS history?"  Lulz.   Is it even in the top 20 of that?   

June Jones at Hawaii has to be #1, and DeBoer at UDub has to be in the mix, Charlie Pell, Stoops?

Man that's a great article by USA Today and it explains it perfectly although he should have just said "Texas A&M shows it's exactly who we thought it was and not Texas"

It is a boring, lame hire.  As others have said, averaged 8 wins a year... 8-8 in conference... a record mostly built on wins against piss poor teams. 

Year 1: 9-4

Year 2: 7-5 and 4-4 in conference including a loss to Virginia (!?)

He's perfect.

29 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The thing is…Elko may end up being a pretty good HC but he was like their at least third or so choice. He’s, to them, like the last chick at the bar still making eye contact when it’s last call. They don’t fully appreciate that he actually came back knowing what they expect and how their culture is. He could be an actual gem but they wanted DeBoer who stiff armed them. Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if they’d sent a random Uber to pick him up. 

You'd think that of all people, aggy would know to go ugly early.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Hold the phone..."the greatest one-year turnaround in FBS history?"  Lulz.   Is it even in the top 20 of that?   

June Jones at Hawaii has to be #1, and DeBoer at UDub has to be in the mix, Charlie Pell, Stoops?

Yeah, I checked Jones first season at Hawaii as that was the first thing that came to mind (0 wins to 9-4). Just another aggy who doesnt know his ass from a hole in the stall. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

Elko obviously doesn't scare anyone.  Coaching hires are always a crapshoot and he could ultimately be successful but the general reaction to this hire, including the aggy reaction, should be meh.  

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Bwahahahahahahaha! Fucked up absolutely  everything about the Jimbo Fisher era from hiring to replacement and now need to sneak a guy in during the dead of night in order to not get even more attention. Maybe, just maybe, nobody will notice. Fucktards. 

34 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I realize aggy blew their Party City budget and then some on Fisher but you’d think they could have at least set off a couple of cheap fireworks? I suspect Elko doesn’t give af. Clearly, he wanted to come back. 

I guess no money (ahem time) for fanfare. We are 11-1 and still have a shot to play in the CFP. And we’ll be playing them every year. Still, not even a tricked out aggy truck? To pick him up in? 

32 minutes ago, texasdago said:

The reaction on Facebook has been exceedingly muted.  Only saw one aggy friend post about and he said it was a solid hire.  If they loved the hired, they would all be crowing about it and erecting a statue by the giant ring monument.  Nope.  General reaction seems to be

I've not seen any family or friends excited about this at all either online, or a few aggy that I was around this morning when dropping kids off at school (and 2 out of the 3 didn't even realize they had a new coach), and the fact that they snuck him in during the middle of the night speaks volumes about how they feel about this.  They are embarrassed.

There was nothing stopping them from bringing him in after 9am, or even better late in the afternoon when they would have had more than enough time to get something together (band, football players, BMDs, news crews, etc.).

They are fucking embarrassed by this hire.

• Prepare your anus 1

18 minutes ago, orangebird said:

Sure, it's a terrible idea, but as we've seen this weekend, there is no shortage of terrible ideas emanating from Collie Station.

They need to get the old band back together!

bill-byrnejpg-cb3cdfcd4e4ac785.jpg

This goofy bastard was just absolutely perfect for that place.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Screenshot_20231127_075218_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.43daf3473459151adc7565c2cae84aa0.jpg

Nothing at all like a cult.  “We need to stand behind holy father.  He sees and he knows. Be pure and unquestioning in your heart and he will guide you to heaven.”

27 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

How the fuck does Bjork still have a job or will they fire him after Elko is all settled in? They could have had Elko easy Saturday and no fuckery (and yes it’s aggy but HC searches are ugly.) I am old enough to remember our BMDs meeting GB at the airport and telling him not to get on the plane because we were hiring Mack Brown. I’m just happy we won’t be going through a HC search any time soon. Because Damn. 
Looking at the open HC spots for teams. Not fun..:

If I'm Elko's agent you have to demand stability type clause in his contract to find a way to insure Bjork is not fired. He's Elko's ticket to a massive payday after any big win.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Blotto said:

How is he going to build that support staff when they've already told him he can't hire anyone?  

Love the superlatives they are already throwing around while admitting the program is a trainwreck - 'GREATEST 1 YEAR TURNAROUND IN FBS HISTORY WHOOP!'

2 minutes ago, TOR said:

How is he going to build that support staff when they've already told him he can't hire anyone?  

Love the superlatives they are already throwing around while admitting the program is a trainwreck - 'GREATEST 1 YEAR TURNAROUND IN FBS HISTORY WHOOP!'

GLORY HOLE! 

32 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

They could have had Elko easy Saturday and no fuckery (and yes it’s aggy but HC searches are ugly.) I

Stoops out interviewed Elko. It's that simple.  Stoops was the pick. The interview panel obviously agreed because a decision was relatively quick.  If it was a toss up, there would've been additional interviews and vetting. There wasn't.  So, even in aggy eyes, Elko is a distant runner up.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Mike Elko is vanilla. He’s who Texas A&M is. Even their “splash hire, big name, sitting national championship head coach” was vanilla. Nobody really cares beyond how much they force the rest of the world to pay attention to their never-ending train wreck.

Their culture is the problem. They’re programmed to embarrass themselves. 

If they would embrace their role as "spoilers" instead of "contenders", their mental health and their level of embarrassing themselves would be non-existent. They are the same tier with the Mississippi schools, South Carolina, Kentucky, etc. Their culture will always mean that. They will never be an Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Texas, or Florida.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 6

I am interested to see how they structured Elko's contract after all of Bjork's bjorking about incentives etc. We all know Elko had them over the barrel yesteday because of the Stoops fiasco, so we'll see just how much Elko (and his agent) "get" aggy. I bet they "get" aggy quite well. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Stoops out interviewed Elko. It's that simple.  Stoops was the pick. The interview panel obviously agreed because a decision was relatively quick.  If it was a toss up, there would've been additional interviews and vetting. There wasn't.  So, even in aggy eyes, Elko is a distant runner up.

I’ve given this some serious thought since Stoops was announced to be the hire on GD Saturday morning. I think what happened is they took a run at DeBoer and got a hard pass. Avoiding trying for Lanning for same hard pass. Maybe even sent some feelers towards Fisch and came back empty. Knew Elko was right there. Bjork panicked and thought his buddy Stoops would be a better splashy hire. Went around BOR. put it out there to ESPN. BOR gets pissed. Stoops wasn’t even on the Santa Claus list they had (though he should have been.) they along with other boosters/BMDs put a stop to it when Stoops’ plane landed. Fuckery commenced. After some serious mayday discussions realized they had to keep Robinson but realized he couldn’t be HC. Called the guy they knew wanted the job all along. Winning. 
Im just spitballing here but I think that’s what happened. maybe Bjork still has a job because they have him under their thumb now.  👍🏻 

Edited by Nicole44

16 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Willie Fritz going from 2-10 at 2021 Tulane, with 1 win being vs something named Morgan State to 12-2 and beating USC in the Cotton Bowl has to be up there.

June Jones from 0-12 to 9-4 is up there.

Auburn going 3-9 and 0-8 in the SEC under Chizik to 12-2 and in the national championship game under Gus has to be up there.

Stoops went 7-5 then 13-0.

7 minutes ago, 89Horn said:

Stupid sip.  We identified our safety coach first, so he was our first choice.

image.jpeg.1e5244905fb1bb0192f05788ae6f01af.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I am interested to see how they structured Elko's contract after all of Bjork's bjorking about incentives etc. We all know Elko had them over the barrel yesteday because of the Stoops fiasco, so we'll see just how much Elko (and his agent) "get" aggy. I bet they "get" aggy quite well. 

Aggy got got.

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I may not survive the day if Elko announces Jimbo as his OC

Sounds weird but I’d pull in Holgo. If they can keep him somewhat sober he’s a good OC. I figured Iowa would take a run at him since Holgo was born in Iowa and they should try to at least have some type of offense. 

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If they had announced the Elko hire an hour after the firing of Jimbo, the fanbase would have been apoplectic.

Their current positive reaction is more about the events of the last week than it is about Elko.

That’s actually fucking brilliant…no way they planned that far out. I’d respect the hell out of that in some bizarre way though. 

46 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, I think he will (or probably will) be good. Not great. But there are a lot of factors involved. Mainly, aggy incompetence.

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

Elko is the guy who was always going to be there if they failed to secure any of their preferred targets, which of course they did.  

This is the best, most concise summary of their coaching search. It skips the Stoops fiasco, which was pure entertainment, but it still sums it up.

And @Chuckie Finster is absolutely correct - If they had announced Elko the day after Jimbo was fired, the reaction would have been the same as what we saw Saturday when the Stoops story surfaced.

Don't buy any of their bullshit in the next 48 hours about getting their first choice.  They swung for the fences, convinced that they are one of the biggest of the big dogs and top coaches would be lining up for the opportunity, and whiffed completely.

• Hook 'Em 3