Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

1 minute ago, DreadHead said:

I don't believe those numbers. IF it were true, Jimbo would have to be the biggest idiot not to take it. I mean his contract with the Aggies is all guaranteed money right? Nobody would throw away the remaining money he would get from A&M on top of what LSU was offering. This just sounds like cover to try and make the Aggies feel validated for throwing stupid money at him to begin with. 

the ONLY reason the other one wasn't taken is if it wasn't fully guaranteed. betting it was something w/ escalators and bonuses in it

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 minute ago, DreadHead said:

I don't believe those numbers. IF it were true, Jimbo would have to be the biggest idiot not to take it. I mean his contract with the Aggies is all guaranteed money right? Nobody would throw away the remaining money he would get from A&M on top of what LSU was offering. This just sounds like cover to try and make the Aggies feel validated for throwing stupid money at him to begin with. 

His money from A&M is guaranteed if he stays there or if they fire him, not if he leaves on his own.

And I am sure LSU isn't dumb enough to guarantee the whole thing. That is a uniquely aggy kind of stupid.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

His money from A&M is guaranteed if he stays there or if they fire him, not if he leaves on his own.

And I am sure LSU isn't dumb enough to guarantee the whole thing. That is a uniquely aggy kind of stupid.

Exactly.  Nobody other than the ags are that stupid.

LSU just fired a coach two years after he won the national championship.  Jimbo knows he'd either have to produce, or get fired, at LSU-- and without a guaranteed contract.

On the other hand, he can just hang around at A&M with minimal effort and 8-4 seasons indefinitely.  And even if they DO fire him, he still gets paid his entire contract.  Because the ags just HAD to show everyone they could afford to run with the big boys.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, OrangEngr said:

Yeah, about that…

who’s LSU’s AD?

I'm well aware. I am also aware that Texags runs aggy's athletic department (not Woodward or any other AD). They made the call to pay Jimbo whatever he wanted, just like they made the call to fire Mike Sherman in a driveway and to part ways with Kevin Sumlin. Bill Byrne left because he didn't call the shots there. 

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

I'm well aware. I am also aware that Texags runs aggy's athletic department (not Woodward or any other AD). They made the call to pay Jimbo whatever he wanted, just like they made the call to fire Mike Sherman in a driveway and to part ways with Kevin Sumlin. Bill Byrne left because he didn't call the shots there. 

Is my sarcasm meter broken on this post? They are definitely an arm of the athletics department and that could be easily proven, but running it? Luicci as AD would be just perfect. 

Honestly Fisher leaving might have been a blessing for aggy.  Once we join the SEC aggy won't bring any TV eyeballs to the conference.  AS has been mentioned on here multiple times most SEC teams have their lowest rated conference game against aggy....I think Vanderbilt was the exception a few years ago.  I wouldn't be surprised if they get the boot in a few years with some buyout.  They will probably be stupid enough to NOT spend that buyout getting rid of expensive but completely mediocre coach and all of us Texas taxpayers will get the benefit of bailing them out.  Hopefully the end result though is they end up G5 where a school with their "tradition" belongs.

So besides the "Next year is the year" (or 2023 at the latest) thread, https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3256268 there is a new thought/problem: Jimbo is recruiting so many 4/5* players they're going to have to revoke offers of all the lesser * players on the team to make room for them https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3256512 

Edited by Crapinon

14 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

So besides the "Next year is the year" (or 2023 at the latest) thread, https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3256268 there is a new thought/problem: Jimbo is recruiting so many 4/5* players they're going to have to revoke offers of all the lesser * players on the team to make room for them https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3256512 

4 said:
Of course, and that's how it's done. They don't just call the kid and tell him they are pulling his offer for someone better. That would be recruiting suicide. They even help place them at other programs in some instances.

But it happens here, just as it does at all other good programs.

In fact, they tried it with a player in Jimbo's 1st class here and the player decided he was going to stay anyway. Never played a down as far as I know.

I would hope Jimbo, or any coach, would never do that. However, we had a kid at the high school where I teach (he'd been in my 9th grade geography class) who had committed to USCw when Spurrier was there. They called the morning of signing day and yanked his offer.

geography is hard on an aggy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:
4 said:
Of course, and that's how it's done. They don't just call the kid and tell him they are pulling his offer for someone better. That would be recruiting suicide. They even help place them at other programs in some instances.

But it happens here, just as it does at all other good programs.

In fact, they tried it with a player in Jimbo's 1st class here and the player decided he was going to stay anyway. Never played a down as far as I know.

I would hope Jimbo, or any coach, would never do that. However, we had a kid at the high school where I teach (he'd been in my 9th grade geography class) who had committed to USCw when Spurrier was there. They called the morning of signing day and yanked his offer.

geography is hard on an aggy

In their defense, if you go west far enough, you end up east.  Or something like that.

1 hour ago, ermahgerdhorn said:

Honestly Fisher leaving might have been a blessing for aggy.  Once we join the SEC aggy won't bring any TV eyeballs to the conference.  AS has been mentioned on here multiple times most SEC teams have their lowest rated conference game against aggy....I think Vanderbilt was the exception a few years ago.  I wouldn't be surprised if they get the boot in a few years with some buyout.  They will probably be stupid enough to NOT spend that buyout getting rid of expensive but completely mediocre coach and all of us Texas taxpayers will get the benefit of bailing them out.  Hopefully the end result though is they end up G5 where a school with their "tradition" belongs.

That's what I told my kool aid drinking aggy neighbor and friend of mine....   Cut bait right now with Jimbo letting himself off the hook, you don't owe him crap and you bank the ridiculous contract numbers you promised him to the year 2075 or whenever.   He comes back next year and does 8-4 or worse which is possible, you all will be having the same shit fits we had once we saw Tom Herman was not the long term solution to our problems, even though he had a winning record and some signature wins.   Last year's Covid season and this year beating Bama and then deferring their loses to not having the right QB was just delaying the crap that is going to hit the fan over there.    Like someone posted on this thread or another with a Twitter screen shot...   Jimbo's First year  8-4 Gator Bowl...   Jimbo's 4th year 8-4 Gator Bowl with little breakthrough save last season with being a serious contender in the SEC title race.  

21 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

That's what I told my kool aid drinking aggy neighbor and friend of mine....   Cut bait right now with Jimbo letting himself off the hook, you don't owe him crap and you bank the ridiculous contract numbers you promised him to the year 2075 or whenever.   He comes back next year and does 8-4 or worse which is possible, you all will be having the same shit fits we had once we saw Tom Herman was not the long term solution to our problems, even though he had a winning record and some signature wins.   Last year's Covid season and this year beating Bama and then deferring their loses to not having the right QB was just delaying the crap that is going to hit the fan over there.    Like someone posted on this thread or another with a Twitter screen shot...   Jimbo's First year  8-4 Gator Bowl...   Jimbo's 4th year 8-4 Gator Bowl with little breakthrough save last season with being a serious contender in the SEC title race.  

The aggy point for Jimbo is they would love to win sure, but more than anything they want to be relevant and in the conversation, any conversation. Jimbo give them that.

22 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Jimbo's 4th year 8-4 Gator Bowl with little breakthrough save last season with being a serious contender in the SEC title race.  

Outside of AL/GA, SEC is pretty weak this year and has been the last few....so Jimbo's trending is even worse than the record indicates.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Jimbo is the collective mid-life crisis of a bunch of white trash rednecks.

The kind of white trash rednecks who show pictures of their wife from 2013, back when she was married to someone else.

But next year, she's gonna be purty-er than ever. Just you wait.

aggy_ralph copy.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

The aggy point for Jimbo is they would love to win sure, but more than anything they want to be relevant and in the conversation, any conversation. Jimbo give them that.

Thus they sound like Tech fans when Leach was around..   Give us our third or forth place finish in the Big 12 with the occasional beating of Texas and OU and we are good..  Leach would still be there had James and Hance not screwed the pooch doing exactly this.

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Outside of AL/GA, SEC is pretty weak this year and has been the last few....so Jimbo's trending is even worse than the record indicates.

I've had that same conversation with some of aggys in person and other message boards and they insist on going back to the fiction that every week in the SEC is hell for each team... so a 3-4 team conference record team in the SEC is no where close to the same in the Big 12, Pac 12, Big 10, etc.   Those four give me wins this year hid a very mediocre to bad aggy team..  The aggy win over Bama hid it more even though the Bama win later lost it's shine as the struggled with the bulk of their remaining games until last week when they beat a UGA team which might not be as strong as the media and SEC would like us to believe because of the strength of their SEC schedule.    I hope Michigan comes out and absolutely destroys UGA and Cincy gives Bama heck or pulls the upset.    The fallout is going to be glorious to read and hear....  Then whatever aggy likes to thump their chest about this year would be totally worthless and all those T-shirts and cups they printed for their Bama win will end up at Dollar Tree or Dollar General in the Bryan/Collie Station area.   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I've had that same conversation with some of aggys in person and other message boards and they insist on going back to the fiction that every week in the SEC is hell for each team... so a 3-4 team conference record team in the SEC is no where close to the same in the Big 12, Pac 12, Big 10, etc.   Those four give me wins this year hid a very mediocre to bad aggy team..  The aggy win over Bama hid it more even though the Bama win later lost it's shine as the struggled with the bulk of their remaining games until last week when they beat a UGA team which might not be as strong as the media and SEC would like us to believe because of the strength of their SEC schedule.    I hope Michigan comes out and absolutely destroys UGA and Cincy gives Bama heck or pulls the upset.    The fallout is going to be glorious to read and hear....  Then whatever aggy likes to thump their chest about this year would be totally worthless and all those T-shirts and cups they printed for their Bama win will end up at Dollar Tree or Dollar General in the Bryan/Collie Station area.   

tl;dr version

Fuck aggy and SEC mouth-breathers

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

It's easy for them to point to the AR game and their resurgence, who obviously beat them as well.  Problem is, the others that typically make the conference stronger are nowhere to be seen.  FL and LSU are laughable.  The two MS schools are equally inept.  Auburn is nowhere near their prior strength.  TN has been wandering the wilderness for decades now.  

SEC with their big two is still the best conference, but I'd argue from a parity standpoint it's either the BIG or possibly Big12.

• Hook 'Em 1

Take the 2020 season away and the aggy have been 13-11 in the SEC under Jimbo, only a group of fools would reward him with a raise. 2020 was largely the product of a soft schedule, 2021 ended perfectly when they returned to being 8-4U losing to a 5-6 LSU team that "fired" it's coach midway through the season and was playing walk-ons in that final game.

5 hours ago, Chad said:

Take the 2020 season away and the aggy have been 13-11 in the SEC under Jimbo, only a group of fools would reward him with a raise. 2020 was largely the product of a soft schedule, 2021 ended perfectly when they returned to being 8-4U losing to a 5-6 LSU team that "fired" it's coach midway through the season and was playing walk-ons in that final game.

His breakthrough season last year had Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Auburn end the season with a winning record.  Auburn was 1 game over  .500 while the rest of the conference ended .500 or worse.   

Take away the 4 cupcakes they play each year and the SEC looks on par with everyone else...  It would look even more lopsided if you gave the bottom half another loss and took a win away like they would have in a 9 game conference....   In fact you would probably see less perfect or one loss SEC teams at the end of the year.   Common to drop an unexpected game to a conference rival than to a complete buy-a-win scrub late in the year.

Is this sarcasm? Aggy watches their team. And dropping to g5? This I don’t get. Maybe a whoosh sarcasm on me.

Secrant knows about aggys Corp…..funny.

“It has been brought to my attention that all those military looking guys for A&M (“the corp”) have no affiliation with any true branch of the military. They just play dress up and act like they are in the military.  

I guess I just always assumed it was like Air Force, Army, or Navy and the young men dressed in uniform were in the military. But these guys are like a fan c”.

8 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Secrant knows about aggys Corp…..funny.

“It has been brought to my attention that all those military looking guys for A&M (“the corp”) have no affiliation with any true branch of the military. They just play dress up and act like they are in the military.  

I guess I just always assumed it was like Air Force, Army, or Navy and the young men dressed in uniform were in the military. But these guys are like a fan c”.

The truly aggy thing is that if the aggy education was worth a shit the ags themselves would understand our federal system does not allow a state university to execute the federal functions of a service academy.

The ags read the provision of the Morrill Act that mandates instruction in military tactics at Land-Grant institutions are ignorant to fact that provision is completely without legal effect.

The aggy corps of cadets exists as it does entirely because the Texas state legislature allows it to exist. It is the state that designs their costumes, the state that mandates any education or training they receive, and the state that is responsible for the fact those idiots have no understanding whatsoever that they are just playing dress-up and not actually in the military.

Don't denigrate the federal government by associating it in any way with the aggy corps of cadets. That embarrassing clusterfuck is entirely on the people of the state of Texas.

aggy_ralph copy.jpg

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They're the original LARPers.  They should be proud.

ags bleat about how "teaching them lib-rul arts is just a waste of taxpayer money!" Yet almost to an individual, they lack a functional understanding of our system of government.

They don't have a clue how the THECB operates, how "the A&M education" is different than that offered at UT Austin, or why "the A&M education" is different. Their insecurities drive them to insist "we is just like UT Austin," which is comical.

Which is how we end up with roughly 500,000 "college educated" Texans who can't understand that an 8-year contract for $125 million doesn't work out to $13mil/yr.

aggy ymca copy.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

The truly aggy thing is that if the aggy education was worth a shit the ags themselves would understand our federal system does not allow a state university to execute the federal functions of a service academy.

The ags read the provision of the Morrill Act that mandates instruction in military tactics at Land-Grant institutions are ignorant to fact that provision is completely without legal effect.

The aggy corps of cadets exists as it does entirely because the Texas state legislature allows it to exist. It is the state that designs their costumes, the state that mandates any education or training they receive, and the state that is responsible for the fact those idiots have no understanding whatsoever that they are just playing dress-up and not actually in the military.

Don't denigrate the federal government by associating it in any way with the aggy corps of cadets. That embarrassing clusterfuck is entirely on the people of the state of Texas.

aggy_ralph copy.jpg

So the state designs their costume?  Did not know.  FUCK! Now I have to run for governor.  If I win, I swear on  everything holy, I will have them wearing clown suits before I leave office.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Gaffords said:

So the state designs their costume?  Did not know.  FUCK! Now I have to run for governor.  If I win, I swear on  everything holy, I will have them wearing clown suits before I leave office.

If that is your goal, go for Lt Governor.

And very clever. If you won, they would be wearing clown suits before you entered office.

aggy uni sec copy.jpg

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

aggy athletics budget deficit

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3257164

Everybody's doin' it!

KCup17

AG

Most athletic departments in the country run at a deficit. I think something in the range of 70%. Either run at at a deficit or push it on the university as institutional debt.
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

Everybody's doin' it!

KCup17

AG

Most athletic departments in the country run at a deficit. I think something in the range of 70%. Either run at at a deficit or push it on the university as institutional debt.

If only there was someone why could see into the future and determine is aggy athletics would be suffering financially once their capital campaign ended.

Here is a prime example why aggy culture is considered to have "a cultural bias that impedes risk identification." In aggy culture they are taught when one is confronted with a knowledge gap the correct course of action is not to conduct some level of research, but to instead to completely fabricate an answer whose only necessary attribute is that it conforms to their pre-conceived narrative.

I assure you this idiot has no basis whatsoever for the 70% figure he insists is true. Another example redneck math.

Here are the financials for a number of D1 athletics programs, as of the end of their fiscal year in 2019. Pre-pandemic.

This now makes 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2022, 2023, and 2024 as years aggy athletics has been unable to pay its bills. 8 out of 19 years.

Texas A&M 2019 NCAA financials.pdf UT Austin 2019 NCAA financials.pdf OU FY2019 NCAA AUP Report.pdf LSU NCAA Financial Report - FY19(1).pdf Florida NCAA financials 2019.pdf Texas tech 2019_NCAA_Financial_Report.pdf 2019-NCAA-Financial-Report Kansas.pdf Michigan 2019.pdf Wisconsin 2019_NCAA_report.pdf

4 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

If only there was someone why could see into the future and determine is aggy athletics would be suffering financially once their capital campaign ended.

Here is a prime example why aggy culture is considered to have "a cultural bias that impedes risk identification." In aggy culture they are taught when one is confronted with a knowledge gap the correct course of action is not to conduct some level of research, but to instead to completely fabricate an answer whose only necessary attribute is that it conforms to their pre-conceived narrative.

I assure you this idiot has no basis whatsoever for the 70% figure he insists is true. Another example redneck math.

Here are the financials for a number of D1 athletics programs, as of the end of their fiscal year in 2019. Pre-pandemic.

This now makes 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2022, 2023, and 2024 as years aggy athletics has been unable to pay its bills. 8 out of 19 years.

Texas A&M 2019 NCAA financials.pdf 144.96 kB · 0 downloads UT Austin 2019 NCAA financials.pdf 141.82 kB · 0 downloads OU FY2019 NCAA AUP Report.pdf 143.66 kB · 0 downloads LSU NCAA Financial Report - FY19(1).pdf 142.55 kB · 0 downloads Florida NCAA financials 2019.pdf 143.24 kB · 0 downloads Texas tech 2019_NCAA_Financial_Report.pdf 136.88 kB · 0 downloads 2019-NCAA-Financial-Report Kansas.pdf 137.74 kB · 0 downloads Michigan 2019.pdf 170.08 kB · 0 downloads Wisconsin 2019_NCAA_report.pdf 143.29 kB · 0 downloads

In fairness, their donor money is going to the bag game this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is a great example of how programs like aggy differ from programs such as Texas and, for this example, Michigan.

Notice in the TMF report they are indicating the problem is insufficient operating revenues for 2022, 2023, and 2024 that will be made up in part by diverting Kyle Field capital contributions to cover the operating loss. How is a lack of operating revenue in 2024 Covid related? It isn't.

aggys is a "boom and bust" type program that struggles to pay its bills on a regular basis. Here they are taking money dedicated for capital projects and instead using it to keep afloat. Next they will take from their maintenance budget (if they haven't already) and things around Kyle Field will start to fall apart. Remember how in 2011 they couldn't even light the lights outside their stadium because the facility was such a fire danger?

Once every 20 years (or so) they have a decent team. Those "up years" allow aggy to push a capital campaign and mostly get caught up. However, even through this latest round of capital infusion they have struggled to repay the "interest-free loan" they took out from the academic side in 2006, so aggy ain't caught up. Not even close. In 2018, aggy's outstanding athletics debt was 1.5x gross revenues. In 2019, it was 1.5x. In 2020, it shot up to 1.8x. For comparison, in FY2020, UT Austin total athletics debt was 0.9x gross revenues, or half that of A&M. OU was 1.28x, LSU was 1.35x, Alabama was a 1.36x. And now we know aggy operating revenues through at least 2024 (very probably longer) will be insufficient to cover expenses. And, they have already refinanced the original debt on the stadium to stretch out their repayment schedule past 2050.

Teams, such as Michigan, that regularly generate excess operating revenues have the financial wherewithal to perform regular maintenance. Why did I pick Michigan? Because "The Big House" and the original Kyle Field were both built in the same year. Over the years, the stable operating income has allowed Michigan to maintain and expand their stadium so it is what it is today. The ags, on the other hand, had regularly deferred maintenance on Kyle Field so often due to financial hardship, they had to tear the stadium down and do a major capital project that in no material way resembles their original stadium.

So the classic aggy cycle has started again. Shuffle money from the capital account to pay operating expenses, take money from the maintenance budget to meet capital account obligations, wash, rinse, repeat.

I suggest if you go to Kyle Field, you may want to again remember to always wear a hat and watch for falling bat guano. Its coming back to aggyland sooner than expected.

aggy athletics deficit texags.jpeg

Edited by Randolph Duke

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:

UPDATE (12/10/21): Saving the shuttle simulator—“It was an artifact that needed to be preserved”

After rescuing it from aggy, "two tractor-trailers delivered the simulator to NASA in Houston earlier this year, and by mid-November, with more than 4,000 volunteer hours invested so far, the interior of the simulator was completely restored. It was no easy task."

The goal is to have it up and running by April (40th anniversary of STS-1, first Space Shuttle launch).

They had something to fill some of that void space in their hall of champions and aggy'd it up...  Whoop!