2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i would say re: #1 everyone we have hired with the exception of Mack (14 years of head coaching, 10 P5 coaching) has basically been a bad hire, so as an organization, we have a long history of picking the very clearly wrong guy for the job - at this point we are what? 1/6 with coaching hires since DKR. Drop out Akers and we have exactly 2 coaches who won even 60% of the games they played (Mack at 76% and Tom at 64%) - i am excluding Sark from this list based on 1 year.

we very, very, very, very clearly have a shitty hiring process and protocol - lots of orgs do. i am not asking for us to be as lucky as OU with Stoops --> Riley or the luckiest team in the history of CFB when it comes to hiring coaches (tOSU and it isn't even close) - i just want the team to go through an actual hiring process and actually hire the right guy.

since Mack, we are probably 1/3 on hiring the "best" candidate for the job that year - and that one was a monumental asshole (Herman) who if he was like 10% less of an asshole would have coached Texas this year.

the hiring process for head coaches - and coaches in general - at Texas has been pretty, pretty fucked since Mack left. look at the shitshow that was Strong's coaching staff (buddy hires, shitty hires like Watson, etc), then Herman (buddy hires, not quick to make staff changes) and now Sark (hiring that many defensive coaches before you have a DC is going to result in failure. then turning around and not making any changes on that side of the ball is also a recipe for failure)

the entire process by which we hire head coaches since about 1987? fucked, with one exception (a 16% hit rate is abysmal)

i have no clue what the process SHOULD be. but i know that whatever the shitshow hiring process we have followed is wrong and has been for about 45 years at this point.

Well let's see:

Akers-Alan Shivers wanted the anti Darrel Royal and picked Akers. Always wondered how it would have gone if Campbell had gotten the job.

McWilliams-In order to heal the bleeding after the Akers hire they let Royal basically pick...we got McWilliams.

Mackovic-Not sure who was running the train(I have been told Moffit but don't know that) but we wanted a coach who would modernize our offense and clean up the image of the program after Akers and McWilliams. If Mackovic hadn't been afraid of competition from hiring a quality DC he would have been much better.

Mack-Deloss wanted Barnett but Royal convinced him to interview Brown.  I will admit I thought we were making a mistake going for Brown, I thought he was a fabulous recruiter, but thought Barnett was a better coach and would recruit well at Texas regardless. 

Strong- I literally have no idea what happens with this search. Suppose we were told no thanks by multiple people including Saban and more or less panicked and hired Chuckles. AD and BMDs were basically fighting with each other.

Herman- We hired the boy wonder lightning in the bottle coaching hire.  BMD driven.

Basic rundown of our hiring processes.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Post was more about the Barnett side than the Mack/royal play.  Deloss and his search team got it wrong that time as well, at least based on barnett’s performance at Colorado. 

Like I have said previously. I thought at the time we screwed up and should have gone Barnett. 

Who knows.  Barnett might have been more successful at Texas than Brown was....I doubt it but you never know.

5 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

I don't want Patterson anywhere near the 40. I just don't like him as a person, don't like his personality, and don't like his history. 

I'm starting to feel this way also.  If he really wanted to be here, he'd be here already.  Any posturing for a "better" or "more prominent" role is him trying to get more power than he should have.  I was good with him as an defensive analyst - both for game play and recruiting.  Anything else seems off.  

38 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

It’s an imperfect measurement for a variety of reasons (particularly because it doesn’t take transfers into account), but Charlie Strong’s 2014 team had a 60% Blue Chip Ratio (top 10). Tom Herman’s 2017 team had a 46% Blue Chip Ratio (well outside of the top 10). Sark’s 2021 team had a 66% Blue Chip Ratio (back inside the top 10).

just stop letting facts get in the way.  the Charlie left Herman a much better roster than Mack left Charlie myth needs to live on.

the only real thing Charlie had a deficiency in was the fact that Ash had a head full of mush and Herman had Sam(who was coming to Texas regardless of who the coach was).

you can argue here and there but it wasn't much of a difference.  both rosters aside from Sam were fairly similar(read: pretty shitty).

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I dont think this GP stuff has much to do with Sark, and I'd imagine he knows it could potentially be a snake in the hen house. 

This was my thought originally. GP’s personality would suggest he’s willing to sabotage Sark in an effort to get a shot at the HC gig.  

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I dont think this GP stuff has much to do with Sark, and I'd imagine he knows it could potentially be a snake in the hen house. 

I would agree that Sark is getting "managed" to some extent based on the disaster of last year.  you can say its good or bad but he really doesn't have the history to push back much.  His presser comment was fairly telling.  This is nothing like Nick Saban going 6-6 at Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Holy fuck you guys like reliving some of life's lowest lowlights.

Not much else to relive the last decade lol

also, GP as a GM would be awful imo. Either he coaches or I want nothing to do with him. And if he’s gonna get all chummy with CDC and undermine anything fuck that. 

1 hour ago, TexasRenegade said:

Akers-Alan Shivers wanted the anti Darrel Royal and picked Akers. Always wondered how it would have gone if Campbell had gotten the job.

Why?  What was his issue with DKR?

1 hour ago, TexasRenegade said:

Mack-Deloss wanted Barnett but Royal convinced him to interview Brown.  I will admit I thought we were making a mistake going for Brown, I thought he was a fabulous recruiter, but thought Barnett was a better coach and would recruit well at Texas regardless. 

Were you stunned?  Were you pissed?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Why?  What was his issue with DKR?

Were you stunned?  Were you pissed?

DKR didn't present the image as the coach of the University of Texas that Shivers wanted.  Shivers didn't care for Royal's long haired music friends and such that he hung around with.  I believe he is quoted as saying when they interviewed Akers he looked like he had stepped out of a Neiman Marcus catalogue and that was the image he wanted for The University. 

I should add that from Erwin to Shivers, Royal didn't seem to get along with BOR chairmen.

To your 2nd question nope.  I was a freshman, I didn't care that much I was just surprised.

To date I’ve rarely crossed a line with certain friends to talk about the football program, keeping it strictly personal not business, but some of the posts above about Patterson, money guys, CDC and Sark have me seriously concerned that this UT clown show could be worse than I ever could have imagined.

I always figured it was a bunch of nagging fans blowing things out of proportion, especially since I know some of the people involved, but now I’m really starting to wonder. If we hear some sort of dumb organizational announcement in the coming weeks, I guess that will be another indication of how dysfunctional things are at this university. 

Edited by Dbeasy

TFB Brennan update:
Spoiler

Update | Sarkisian Meets With Brennan MarionBy: CJ VogelPosted on: December 29, 2021
Texas Head Coach Steve Sarkisian met with Pitt WR Coach Brennan Marion in Atlanta Tuesday night.
Marion will coach in Pitt’s Peach Bowl appearance against Michigan State at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium Thursday night in Atlanta.
Following the bowl game, anything can happen with Marion and it is clear he is a top candidate for Sarkisian as he aims to fill his WR coach vacancy.

Hey fuckface, this is the coaching failures rehash thread. We have a thread for coa.... oh wait. My bad. Carry one.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Schools like Texas dont typically have empty suit fundraisers as their athletic directors. The second I got the word on CDC during the Eyes stuff I knew he needed to be replaced, and that was before he threw out some seriously concerning ideas about who should be hired to replace Herman. If the guy is best suited to fundraising, he needs to be formally stripped of his other duties that are at this point ceremonial more than anything. I'm sure some think this would upset the apple cart with the $$$ guys that like him, but I've yet to talk to one of his fanboys about the reality of who the guy is without them pretty quickly changing their tune and just saying thats unfortunate because he's so likeable. They're all desperate for the next Mack Brown Santa Claus figure to show himself.  

Not to belabor the point but I think you're looking for the exceptional where adequate can still result in a football program on a different trajectory than we were on with Herman.  If our measure is current Bama, then yes, a "buck stops here" level of leadership from the AD would be advantageous but we're a mile away from that and I think CDC is satisfactory for what we need now if a) leadership above him carries the water on big decisions and b) Sark can install a program that's more consistently not in need of AD leadership. 

I think what most fans don't get is the AD/Head Coach dichotomy of personalities and how they mixed in the past.  When I talk to UT athletic alums they tend to be fond in their praise for Deloss as a "nice guy who cared about us" and on the football side, "Mack was a lot meaner than the media portrayed".  In other words, the public presentation of both was wrong and yet they won a championship together and absent a freak injury would have won two. 

Regardless, I think we can both agree and be thankful that regardless of your opinion of CDC and/or his deficiency of leadership, we're in a far better position going forward than if Patterson was still the AD. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

Mackovic-Not sure who was running the train(I have been told Moffit but don't know that) but we wanted a coach who would modernize our offense and clean up the image of the program after Akers and McWilliams. If Mackovic hadn't been afraid of competition from hiring a quality DC he would have been much better.

This is spot on.  

We had to change the offense and Mackovic did that.  

He didn't have what it takes to turn the whole thing around,  but he brought out offense  out of the dark ages.

Edit: 

I think he is a little bit under rated as a HC.  

Edited by Laga4
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, Codaxx said:

OSU has been changing coaches with loaded rosters. That is the key to success. Riley and Day are considered great coaches, but I have my doubts either could have come in after Strong or Herman and come close to the success they are having now. In today’s CFB picking the right job is probably more important than being a great coach. Urban talked about that when he turned down his “dream job” at ND and picked Florida 

i mean, no. it's way more than that, seriously. here are their hires since 1913. one guy with a winning % under 60%. teir last 5 coaches have been pretty fucking good. this doesn't include Fickell's one interim year but still. this is pretty fucking great and super super super lucky

image.thumb.png.d879d4ab706f725e98d6f4c9f8cdb76a.png

30 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean, no. it's way more than that, seriously. here are their hires since 1913. one guy with a winning % under 60%. teir last 5 coaches have been pretty fucking good. this doesn't include Fickell's one interim year but still. this is pretty fucking great and super super super lucky

image.thumb.png.d879d4ab706f725e98d6f4c9f8cdb76a.png

there is the obvious that they are a blue blood with built in advantages. I looked at the 6 coached for OSU, I did cut out Fickell. That was a different situation where they got put on probation in August. That said OSU coaches last 2 years prior to leaving had a ~75% win percentage. Texas was at 58%. The point being that coaches took over in pretty good situations at OSU. That isnt everything, because you dont know how the rosters looked, but a reasonable generalization. I am just saying it is easier to maintain the course of the ship, than to turn it around.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

FCB said Marion is going to become official after Pitt’s bowl game 

"Horns247 hears Brennan Marion is likely to become Texas’ new receivers coach after Pittsburgh plays Michigan State in the Peach Bowl on Dec. 30"

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Please bring Addison. Please lord. 

While I am sure they have a great relationship - Marion was only there for one year.  He didn't recruit Addison - he just happened to be his second WR coach.  While I'd love for it to happen it just doesn't seem likely - especially now that Slovis is there as Pitt's QB next year.

52 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

While I am sure they have a great relationship - Marion was only there for one year.  He didn't recruit Addison - he just happened to be his second WR coach.  While I'd love for it to happen it just doesn't seem likely - especially now that Slovis is there as Pitt's QB next year.

He just happened to turn him into an award winning receiver in said year. It doesn't sound totally crazy to me. Will it actually happen? Probably not, but I am all in for the speculation and wish casting.