2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

49 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Do they still have those .99 cent tacos? That was a drunken standard for awhile. "Hi, good evening. Could I have twelve tacos please?". 

Just recently raised to $1.19 or $1.29 (for two).  But yes they still have them and I still get them every time I hit jack in the box for my ultimate cheese burger, hold the mustard, on sourdough, with curly fries and a coke. Must have the bonus double taco deal. 
I’ve been trying to be healthier for my kids for the last couple years so this order doesn’t happen all that often anymore (like 3 times in the last year) when it used to be a once or twice a week occurrence. 
I miss that order. 

The Killer Burger and the Old Sparky Burger from Mr. Hamburger in Huntsville are damn good. That place deserves to be a regional/national chain. Who wouldn’t want to eat burgers at a place influenced by prison and death sentences? (Did I mention they are really good burgers?)

Edited by Reese Bennett
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Just recently raised to $1.19 or $1.29 (for two).  But yes they still have them and I still get them every time I hit jack in the box for my ultimate cheese burger, hold the mustard, on sourdough, with curly fries and a coke. Must have the bonus double taco deal. 
I’ve been trying to be healthier for my kids for the last couple years so this order doesn’t happen all that often anymore (like 3 times in the last year) when it used to be a once or twice a week occurrence. 
I miss that order. 

I love the ultimate cheeseburger... and they used to have chili cheese curly fries. That combo was amazing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Gonna have to disagree with that.

Whataburger>McDonald's > Dairy Queen> Steak &Sheak > Sonic> Wendy's > Jack in the box > Carls/Arbys> 100 ft of shit> In and out

A McDonald's happy meal cheeseburger is superior to in and out.

FB_IMG_1641751027985.jpg

I appreciate the In and Out hate. I’ve eaten there twice and thought it was pretty good but not as good as whataburger. I ate there out in California- maybe it’s better there. 
we are only talking about burger/fries/drink traditional combo here I assume?  If so I didn’t rate sonic bc I can’t conceive of a reason to ever get a burger at sonic. They aren’t good but they do have decent other food so just order that. 
I didn’t rate steak n Shake for the same reason I didn’t rate Culver’s- there aren’t many in Texas are there?  I agree it’s middle of the pile. 
I think you severely overrate McDonald’s. Ever since they switched meat a couple years ago their burgers taste like nothing to me. They were never top of the pile but now they are tasteless and they don’t don’t a bunch of other toppings or creativity. McDonald’s is strictly for the kids when they want a happy meal or play on their playground. 
the flame broiled at BK/Carls and their obscene toppings etc make it much better than McDonald’s, sonic, etc. and I think better than another ubiquitous chain like Wendy’s. 
I don’t ever get down to that level unless I can’t help it. And not burger related but fast food related- fuck Taco Bell for killing the Mexican pizza. That also used to be a go to for me. 

If we are just talking fast food this is the me being a fat slob rotation:

Popeyes spicy chicken sandwich with red beans and rice;

Whataburger #2, double cheese, grilled onions, tomatoes, mayo ketchup with onion rings and a shake (it would be a triple nest but my wife swore she would divorce me if I ever had a triple meat cheese again and I promised)

foot long chili cheese coney with onions, tots with chili, cheese and onion and cheaper peppers with ranch, witch a cherry coke

ultimate cheeseburger on sour dough, no mustard, with curly fries and a coke, plus two tacos 

taco cabana fajita chicken soft taco combo meal (comes with chips and queso and a coke) plus a. Order of chicken quesadillas. Use the huac and sour cream from quesadilla and nacho cheese to put on the soft chicken fajita taco. 

Taco Bell Mexican pizza meal with two soft taco supremes and a mt dew would have replaced the taco cabana order before they jettisoned the Mexican pizza. 

That’s as solid a weekly rotation as I can come up with for a disgusting fat person to follow. 

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Best fast food fried chicken: Golden Chick. 

Chicken express

2 hours ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

Have any of y’all tried Culver’s? Really good burger chain here in the Midwest. Custards are good too.

Yes, it’s pretty good. Similar to braums but I’ll take braums every time for burgers. No real opinion on the frozen dairy products. 

3 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

In n Out in Southern California is good and generally shit anywhere else.  Ive heard it’s cause they source from local suppliers in SoCal and ship it frozen everywhere else.  Might be urban legend and In n Out is nothing special anyway but whatevs

They apparently went to great lengths to establish the same supply-chain setup in Texas that they had in California/AZ. But the trick with a supply chain where the food is never frozen is that your food will never be better than what your local suppliers can produce. So I don't think they're freezing things, they... just don't have as good of a supply chain.

I also think there's something to culture and hiring. I saw this happen once when County Line tried opening a restaurant in Amarillo... the place was garbage, closed after only a couple of years. I wonder if something similar is happening here. The people being hired in SoCal grew up eating In-N-Out, and their parents grew up eating it, and there's kind of a tradition there, an expectation that they have to make really good burgers to carry on this cultural tradition. There's a bit of pride in being the guy who works in In-N-Out in SoCal, more so than there would be at, say, McDonald's or Fatburger or Five Guys. And the closer you get to the beach and pick up the sundown post-surfing crowd, the more pronounced this tradition gets, I think. Whereas the folks making the burgers at In-N-Out Texas ... they don't have any of that. There's no pride, no cultural tradition to carry on.

And, like a great pastor, this brings us back to the cultural rot in the Texas football program. It's been a dozen years since our squad has had a winning tradition. And a dozen years of winning before another dozen years of mediocrity as you go backwards in time. And you see that with Bo Davis' rant on the bus. Bo Davis isn't accustomed to this sort of thing, but the players, staffers, administration... they're comfy and cozy in their mediocre loserdom. I don't think you can build a winning program by hiring people who are used to losing. Or recruiting players who are used to losing...

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Can none of you fat fucks use a goddamned grill? Martin’s Potato Buns + ground beef + American Cheese + 3 minutes per side and you have a superior burger than any of these fast-casual shitholes. 

fast casual, fast food, fine dining and home cookin' are all completely different beasts

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Can none of you fat fucks use a goddamned grill? Martin’s Potato Buns + ground beef + American Cheese + 3 minutes per side and you have a superior burger than any of these fast-casual shitholes. 

Am I supposed to do this at my office at lunch time?  Just go ahead and knock that out at 8:00 at night after a 12 or 13 hour day at the office?

the point of fast food isn’t- oh my gosh- I couldn’t possibly make a better meal for myself at home after taking the time to intentionally select special/superior ingredients so I will just go ahead and go to xyz. The point is it’s readily available and simple/easy. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Am I supposed to do this at my office at lunch time?  Just go ahead and knock that out at 8:00 at night after a 12 or 13 hour day at the office?

the point of fast food isn’t- oh my gosh- I couldn’t possibly make a better meal for myself at home after taking the time to intentionally select special/superior ingredients so I will just go ahead and go to xyz. The point is it’s readily available and simple/easy. 

And the point of a coaching staff thread is to talk about a coaching staff, yet here we are. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

And the point of a coaching staff thread is to talk about a coaching staff, yet here we are. 

Right.  But nobody thought that their food talk was responsive to the staff thread. You seemed to be making a rebuttal argument on topic while being… off topic. 
Of course fat fucks have heard of making their own food and many could probably even do that at a higher quality than whatever place they are eating. That’s not why they are there though. It’s convenience, ease, or for some people price maybe. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Chicken express definitely surpassed Golden Chick. Bush’s, Chicken Express and Golden Chick obviously all came from the same house but Golden Chick’s products have gone to shit. I know several franchise owners and they are all pissed at the direction of corporate.

Bush’s tastes the closest to the original Golden Fried Chicken(pre Golden Chick).

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Right.  But nobody thought that their food talk was responsive to the staff thread. You seemed to be making a rebuttal argument on topic while being… off topic. 
Of course fat fucks have heard of making their own food and many could probably even do that at a higher quality than whatever place they are eating. That’s not why they are there though. It’s convenience, ease, or for some people price maybe. 

Apologies for derailing a thread derailment.

I was actually eating a burger at Burger-Tex when I read the news that Bobby Jack Wright was being promoted to be our DC, so this thread is a little traumatizing. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Players sucked. When my friends would go there late at night I’d walk over to Whataburger or Taco Cabana.

Players was overrated by many but I wouldn't go so far as sucked. It was decent fare and convenient. Whataburger preferred and scarfed many a times at Taco Cabana when a burger wasn't the craving. Fried mushrooms and dip at Players enhanced the meal.

On a slightly different theme, I was a big fan of Hao Hao in Dobie Mall for lunch or afternoon meals near campus. Good portions, low price and great food -- everything a student scraping by could ask for.

Fast food thoughts:

Culver’s is extremely underrated in many ways.  Burgers are excellent, ice cream is 2nd to none.  Fries are great.

In N Out is absolute trash.  Wendy’s is trash; they used to have a good chicken sandwich. 

Burger King and McDonald's taste great and are super cheap but each patty apparently contains a strain of cholera.

DQ and Sonic burgers are tolerable if you’re going there for the desserts/drinks.  The Dude sandwich is a once-a-year cravable treat.

Chick Fil A is a case study in business operations and produces a great product.

Canes is delicious but with such a narrow menu they are a once a year stop.

Popeyes can be good but is too inconsistent and the bad locations carry a lot of risk.

Golden Chick is trash except their tea.

Taco Cabana and Taco Bell are trash.  I think Mexican fast food has yet to be perfected.

Lil’ Doddy is great if you want to spend $60 for family hamburger night.

P Terrys is hard to say.  Sometimes I crave their food but I wouldn’t rate them nearly as good as Culver’s or Whataburger.

Whataburger is the best fast food hamburgers around and it’s not that close; however, there’s a big variance in quality/consistency from one location to the next.

48 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If you are older than 25 years old and you are eating fast food regularly, there is something wrong with you. 

18 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Fast food thoughts:

Culver’s is extremely underrated in many ways.  Burgers are excellent, ice cream is 2nd to none.  Fries are great.

In N Out is absolute trash.  Wendy’s is trash; they used to have a good chicken sandwich. 

Burger King and McDonald's taste great and are super cheap but each patty apparently contains a strain of cholera.

DQ and Sonic burgers are tolerable if you’re going there for the desserts/drinks.  The Dude sandwich is a once-a-year cravable treat.

Chick Fil A is a case study in business operations and produces a great product.

Canes is delicious but with such a narrow menu they are a once a year stop.

Popeyes can be good but is too inconsistent and the bad locations carry a lot of risk.

Golden Chick is trash except their tea.

Taco Cabana and Taco Bell are trash.  I think Mexican fast food has yet to be perfected.

Lil’ Doddy is great if you want to spend $60 for family hamburger night.

P Terrys is hard to say.  Sometimes I crave their food but I wouldn’t rate them nearly as good as Culver’s or Whataburger.

Whataburger is the best fast food hamburgers around and it’s not that close; however, there’s a big variance in quality/consistency from one location to the next.

image.gif.983a00cf2ecc6f0ae1700f37ce8b196d.gif

• Haha 4