California Getting a Jump on Black Friday Shopping

Harrison Bergeron

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

@Foosterscan you do the board a favor, and take a photo of your office...the perfectly clean desk, the empty file drawers, all of that?  Because if nobody's being prosecuted, surely a Los Angeles Public Defender doesn't have any work to do.  Jack off two or three times a day, post on surly, check out r/buttholesharpies, just another day at the office for a PD.

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

As a born and raised Texan living in California the last 20 years @Incredulity take on CA lawlessness and horrible quality of life makes me laugh. So dumb, yet not surprising. 

I love it here and find it amusing that someone is scanning the internet to say SQUIRREL! when they find something to tell me or someone else why the shouldn’t. Look in the mirror.

Edited by Mach 1
Enjoy not the right word
  • Hook 'Em 6

10 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

California sucks and what they call Mexican food is even worse. 

I moved here in 2017 and love it, beach is an hour away (Texas beaches are awful), Napa 30 mins (Texas wines are a joke), Tahoe a little over 2 hours (Cant ski in Texas). My high temp yesterday was 76, low was 50, I see you guys are above 100, no thanks. I do miss TexMex but that's about it

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, Smax said:

I moved here in 2017 and love it, beach is an hour away (Texas beaches are awful), Napa 30 mins (Texas wines are a joke), Tahoe a little over 2 hours (Cant ski in Texas). My high temp yesterday was 76, low was 50, I see you guys are above 100, no thanks. I do miss TexMex but that's about it

My family is from LA, so I was forced to go there every summer as a kid. God I fucking hated it. 

I was on a consulting project for M&M (RE) for a while, so I was in Calabasas every week for half a year-- it was awesome. It felt like if you took the best parts of Texas suburbs and put them in a beautiful setting and then it was equidistant from Malibu and Santa Monica/Venice, so if you wanted to bougie it up or slum it up, respectively, you could.

14 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

You haven’t belly laughed an uncontrollable amount followed up with tears after you had Florida Panhandle Mexican food. 

52-80d

Ohio and Minnesota Mexican food was so damn depressing, surprisingly really good Indian food though. 

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I've been to California dozens of times and, outside the fucking traffic, it's awesome.  Anyone who can't find fun in California is just a miserable sonofabitch. 

I love it. Been going for work every other week for months, granted I’m staying in Pasadena and Glendale but I did meet a hood rat that lives in Montebello so I’ve seen that side. I love California and really considering relocating at least for a year. Her rent is cheaper than mine in north Dallas

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

the per capita murder rate in states that voted for Donald Trump

vast evidence of actual influence-peddling and self-dealing by the Trump family

accused Mr. Trump

egged on by Mr. Trump

. Since the rise of Donald Trump

NOPE, definitely NOT a but, but, but, Trump.   LOL.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I for one am happy you found your paradise in College Station

He's in Montgomery County where there are no gays and girls don't climb trees. Also, don't ask him about the third episode of the "Last of Us" lest he gets the willies.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

He's in Montgomery County where there are no gays and girls don't climb trees. Also, don't ask him about the episode of the "Last of Us" lest he gets the willies.

Let's be honest, most of MoCo is CS east.

^

It's a sarcastic, but salient point on Montgomery County (as an example).    For the few years I was not very tolerant...not homophobic or anti-gay...more like "pipe down, keep to yourselves"...I just didn't think about it much.  I didn't really become an advocate until friends and family came out to me, and I saw the family values crusades against these people (and lived in NoCal and Austin). 

But looking back now, the real icing on the cake was, "I can't just say 'whatever', I gotta at least listen, if not help, if not broadly advocate" was when I started hearing fellow Texans that I knew saying shit like, "Ain't no gays where I'm from or I'd know about it."  And I used to think, "Well no shit, look at you.........what gay person in a million years would ever tell you they were gay?  You think you're the first to know, last to blow?  You might know where the black and brown families live, but there's a reason you don't know where the gays live in your community.  They don't want you to know.  You're surrounded by meth heads, wife beaters, and child molesters...and suddenly you're Hercule Poirot? 

You don't wave your hand at the monster to notice you.  California and Texas have the exact same percentage of LGBTQ+ by population/per capita.  In terms of the whole of the state (you can't just isolate San Francisco versus Vidor).  Nature has always and forever created about the same percentage (maybe not post-o[p trans because of lack of scientific advancements for millennia) but LGBTQ+ across all epochs and meridians.  People just lived in the shadows, that's all.  What we see today is the exact same demography.................only difference now is access to quality real estate.  Here's my card.

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

So east Texas.  Of course.

No. 

13 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Beat me to it, but he’s said he lives in the land of no-gay people, Montgomery Co. He downloaded Grindr and proved it.

Fewer for sure. I’m not getting any takers. 

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Ohio and Minnesota Mexican food was so damn depressing, surprisingly really good Indian food though. 

I actually had pretty decent Mexican food in Ohio. It was a trip because it seemed like the place and staff were teleported from San Antonio's Southside.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

Cleveland is actually about 15% Hispanic, stands to reason a few of 'em could get together and fashion a good Mexican food joint.  Supply chain may be an issue, but wouldn't surprise me.  Rest of the state is like 2-3% Hispanic and none of them want to open a restaurant because it means they have to stay there.  There's a hidden gem for Mexican in every city, but it can also be hit or miss given the day you see them.  

My mother was just here and took home all kinda frozen menudo, tortillas, fideo, dried lengua, chorizo from the valley where they grew up, etc.  All this stuff from different little markets I've shown her in Austin over the years.  Granted she paid $50 for a luggage piece that probably contained $49 worth of food...but she insists every time.  And my cousins and I joke each time she leaves back to Chicago.  A city with 800,000 Hispanics and she can't find one decent tortilla up there.  But obviously it's just the taste of Texas they miss---she makes meals for my uncle and cousins up there.  One year, we sent them a bunch of the exact same shit in like a care box via the web...and they all complained it didn't taste the same.  Even though it got there next day with ice packs and my mom takes it home in a hot suitcase with no temperature control and leaves it outside because she wants the airline germs to blow away.  And my uncle woofs it all down with a cocktail and chaser as my cousins gather around to eat leftovers.  And after each of her visits, I get texts from them asking where we got the food from because they all have violent diarrhea.  

It's a family tradition....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

you don't know shit about fuck. 

SoCal Mexican is the greatest thing on planet earth.

20 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

Gross.

Having to choose between tex-mex and baja mex is like having to choose a favorite child. Or "would you rather have a roof over your house, or a floor underneath it?" Or which one of your car's four wheels you would keep. Any choice is the wrong answer.

The correct answer is both. At the same time. Start with some proper Tex-Mex fajitas, with a side of fried fish tacos. Drag in some Santa Fe style adovada for a threesome. Add some real Mexican mole, and the party is just beginning.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 2

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Having to choose between tex-mex and baja mex is like having to choose a favorite child. Or "would you rather have a roof over your house, or a floor underneath it?" Or which one of your car's four wheels you would keep. Any choice is the wrong answer.

The correct answer is both. At the same time. Start with some proper Tex-Mex fajitas, with a side of fried fish tacos. Drag in some Santa Fe style adovada for a threesome. Add some real Mexican mole, and the party is just beginning.

I feel like when you throw a tri tip on the grill and invite the neighborhood, everyone is throwing their keys in a bowl on the way in…and that’s cool. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

My family is from LA, so I was forced to go there every summer as a kid. God I fucking hated it. 

10 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

You may just be miserable. 

no, no, no, he's right... Los Angeles sucks balls.

Just like Texas, California has its great parts (San Diego, Austin) and its shitty parts (Los Angeles, Lubbock).

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I feel like when you throw a tri tip on the grill and invite the neighborhood, everyone is throwing their keys in a bowl on the way in…and that’s cool. 

i had to look up what that meant

and I mean look, I'm not opposed to the idea, but they'd better be really attractive neighbors, right?

When I think of Tex Mex, New Mex, or Baja Mex, I'm thinking of the good shit. I'm not imagining banging some obese Dallas hausfrau, Leona the cleaning lady, and Marge Simpson. I'm thinking about 1972 Farrah Fawcett, 1996 Salma Hayek and 1984 Tawny Kitaen.

I eat well.