Brian Kelly to L$U

Fug

7 minutes ago, ousux said:
15 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:
Jimbo about to throw his hat in the ND ring to get the sheep fuckers to bump him to 16 a year.

You think he has to lift a finger? Gomers are turning over couch cushions as we speak..

I don’t know shit… but just like Kelly doesn’t seem like a good culture fit with LSU, I don’t think Jimbo’s Boomhauer schtick would go over well in South Bend.

Riley seems like he’ll fit in well in Southern California 

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I agree fully with the last part. As I’m a dad now of dad age, I do find it ridiculous and insane the money being thrown around at a game. It’s particularly bad in college where this money is going to overrated suits while players are still nowhere near able to collect their value to this money making venture, when it’s their labor creating 9o% of the product. I say that knowing full well that a market regime would obliterate my alma mater’s ability to compete. It’s still wrong on so many levels.

This.  It's only "not my money" if you're not buying tickets, gear, etc. to the games or supporting the athletic department via donations.  But if you wonder why universities are raising ticket prices to college football games almost every year, look no further.  Sure, the Big Cigars may pick up a lot of these costs at universities like Texas.  But they sure as shit aren't picking up all of them, and some of them are still being passed along to the fans.  A percentage of every ticket Texas sells for a home football game is paying Tom Herman not to coach right now.  As a dad who occasionally struggled to provide for my kids when the economy was bad, paying $100+ for a ticket to a college football game was completely out of reach.  I don't have the answers here, but am just saying that that all of us are paying for this shit, one way or another.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I don’t know shit… but just like Kelly doesn’t seem like a good culture fit with LSU, I don’t think Jimbo’s Boomhauer schtick would go over well in South Bend.

Coonasses won't care if Brian Kelly came from Mars, as long as he wins there.  The best "culture fit" LSU ever had is leaving the program after this season.

7 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

The guy they just canned was a perfect cultural fit so all that shit seems meaningless.  Saban is an old man from West Virginia and has no issue getting along in Bama.  Urban is from Ohio and fit in quite well in Florida.

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I thought he was the leader in the clubhouse until they announced Sark.  But, I don't think we found his personal reputation appealing.

His name was mentioned and most fans including me said he wouldn't leave ND for us because coaches don't make lateral (at best) moves.  Obviously that thinking is out the window.  I assume since he's not our coach, the brass didn't kick the tires at all.  Otherwise the alternative is they willingly chose Sark over a proven HC that's been in a title game and playoffs.

Just to further illustrate how silly the "culture fit" argument is:

I live in Oregon, where a Cuban guy is the current coach of the Oregon Ducks.  And while the Latino population here is growing, you cannot really confuse this place with California, Texas, or Florida.  Whatever issues people have here with Cristobal happen to be, his "cultural fit" apparently isn't one of them.

Likewise, Texas could hire a Scotsman who thinks haggis is the absolute bomb, and I could not care any less as long as that guy takes us to our next national championship.

tl;dr - it's all about the winning.

Edited by orangebird
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

His name was mentioned and most fans including me said he wouldn't leave ND for us because coaches don't make lateral (at best) moves.  Obviously that thinking is out the window.  I assume since he's not our coach, the brass didn't kick the tires at all.  Otherwise the alternative is they willingly chose Sark over a proven HC that's been in a title game and playoffs.

I do wonder whether all the external drama (Longhorn Network, tons of meddlesome Big Cigars, athletic department chaos) has been a factor in our ability to lure "big name" coaches here.  It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in certain circles and learn whether any overtures were even made to Kelly - particularly after Meyer and Saban have turned us down in the past.

7 minutes ago, orangebird said:

I live in Oregon, where a Cuban guy is the current coach of the Oregon Ducks.  And while the Latino population here is growing, you cannot really confuse this place with California, Texas, or Florida.  Whatever issues people have here with Cristobal happen to be, his "cultural fit" apparently isn't one of them.

Likewise, Texas could hire a Scotsman who thinks haggis is the absolute bomb, and I could not care any less as long as that guy takes us to our next national championship.

I love haggis especially after a lot of scotch. 

How long does anyone think Kelly stays in Baton Rouge, to the end of that 10 year contract?
He is 60 years old, so he will turn 70 in the last year of this contract
his first HC job was at Grand Valley St (DIII - just outside Grand Rapids, MI) he was there 13 years
Central Michigan (MAC) 3 years, CIncinnati 4 years, Notre Dame 12 years

here is some recent history for LSU coaching tenure:
Coach O - 1 Natty, 5.5 years, 51-20
Les Miles - 1 Natty, 11.5 years, 114-34
$t Nick - 1 Natty, 4 years, 48-16
DiNardo - 5 years, 48-33
before that is ancient history to todays football climate

IMO the heat starts to turn up in year 3 or 4 if the Tigers have not gone to the SEC championship game, let alone the playoffs; and he hasn't had to face that anywhere he has coached.

1 minute ago, orangebird said:

I do wonder whether all the external drama (Longhorn Network, tons of meddlesome Big Cigars, athletic department chaos) has been a factor in our ability to lure "big name" coaches here.  It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in certain circles and learn whether any overtures were even made to Kelly - particularly after Meyer and Saban have turned us down in the past.

I don't think the LHN really adds that much drama, but as far as the other two that has got to be a factor.  I've always operated under the assumption that it's the same as any big time program, but it's certainly starting to seem like we are above and beyond on the bullshit.  

29 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He’s a huge asshole, no doubt.

However, if that’s the criteria, WE HIRED STEVE FUCKING SARKISIAN!  It’s not like we really went the other direction on personal history/reputation.

20 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Sark WAS an asshole, but I think we liked the redemption aspect.  We ignored the red flags on Herman.  Brian Kelly apparently has a dead kid stench taht can be masked in the swamp.  

13 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

How long does anyone think Kelly stays in Baton Rouge, to the end of that 10 year contract?
his first HC job was at Grand Valley St (DIII - just outside Grand Rapids, MI) he was there 13 years

DiNardo - 5 years, 48-33

IMO the heat starts to turn up in year 3 or 4 if the Tigers have not gone to the SEC championship game, let alone the playoffs; and he hasn't had to face that anywhere he has coached.

This is likely his last gig at this age 

15 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

DiNardo - 5 years, 48-33

But knowing their ad he gets the full Amount as a buyout either way. It a win/win for him

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

This is likely his last gig at this age 

No matter how long he actually stays there.  With these deals, you have to almost hope to get fired and land on your giant cushy buyout.  And then get the lobster AND the cracked crab on the beach.  Extra primo good!

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

You haven't spent much time in Northern Indiana.  While it isn't Kentuckiana, it's still fairly Billy, aside from Notre Dame itself. Hell, Jimbo would make ND more likable to the rest of the state.

42 minutes ago, orangebird said:

You ever been to Hillsburrito, I mean Hillsboro?

44 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

No way Kelly was leaving ND until he had the all time ND win total which he got this year so Kelly wasn’t going anywhere until now at the earliest.  LR doesn’t leave OU until the SEC move happened.  LR is moving to SC for an easier road plain and simple.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gmr548 said:

The funny thing is that if they do get in, it is probably their best shot at actually winning a CFP game. Only Georgia would have clearly superior talent, and they’ve played them down to the wire in recent years, no reason to be scared.

Exactly. Get by Georgia somehow and then you've likely got Michigan or Cincinnati in the title game? Shit - forget winning a CFP game - that might be their best shot at winning a title in a long long time. 

It wouldn't be likely. And they need a little help to get in anyway. But it's definitely bizarre that Kelly is cool with leaving a program he has completely rebuilt potentially right before they hit their pinnacle.

Or - say Bama beats Georgia and the Pokes lose and one of Cincy or Michigan loses. Then Georgia gets upset. You'd have a Bama team in the semi that we KNOW can be had on the right day to then play Cincy or Michigan.

Edited by ztejas

6 minutes ago, Snacks said:

You haven't spent much time in Northern Indiana.  While it isn't Kentuckiana, it's still fairly Billy, aside from Notre Dame itself. Hell, Jimbo would make ND more likable to the rest of the state.

I’m not talking about Indiana rednecks, I’m talking about ND alumni and fans.

Just like Mackovic didn’t mesh well with our boosters, high school coaches, etc- I could see Kelly’s arrogant ass pissing off those people in Louisiana.

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, orangebird said:

Outside of his name, what about Cristobal screams Cuban? And what is Oregon’s culture outside of Nike money and a million uniform combinations? I guess I don’t see where there’s any real cultural conflict there.  I agree that winning covers up any problems, but the second he isn’t winning is when that shit gets amplified. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I’m not talking about Indiana rednecks, I’m talking about ND alumni and fans.

Just like Mackovic didn’t mesh well with our boosters, high school coaches, etc- I could see Kelly’s arrogant ass pissing off those people in Louisiana.

Kelly can fucking develop players and coach.  

Mackovic was supposed to be an offensive guru/QB coach... turns out, he was an insurance salesman.

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Exactly. Get by Georgia somehow and then you've likely got Michigan or Cincinnati in the title game? Shit - forget winning a CFP game - that might be their best shot at winning a title in a long long time. 

It wouldn't be likely. And they need a little help to get in anyway. But it's definitely bizarre that Kelly is cool with leaving a program he has completely rebuilt potentially right before they hit their pinnacle.

Or - say Bama beats Georgia and the Pokes lose and one of Cincy or Michigan loses. Then Georgia gets upset. You'd have a Bama team in the semi that we KNOW can be had on the right day to then play Cincy or Michigan.

After watching Florida play FSU last weekend, anyone that struggled with that team doesn’t deserve a sniff of the playoffs. They will get hammered by the current top 4.

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Brian Kelly is a piece of shit, I don't care if he gets us 10 wins a year I wouldn't want him coaching Texas. You thought Herman and Ogre pissed everyone off Kelly says hold my beer. This is gonna be a glorious train wreck

Oh okay. He was mean to some GAs one time. Definitely don't want THAT guy.

8 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Would Kelly be a bad hire? In 18 years he's 166-62 with a BCS game, 2 playoff appearances, and he took Cincinnati to an Orange Bowl way back when.

He's pretty solid, and I'd be more confident with him than SWS.

They got their asses beat in both those playoff appearances.  It’s disingenuous to ignore the ND effect when it comes to polling. They string 3 wins together and are a top 5 team, so I can’t give Kelly any real credit there. Florida also beat the hell out of the Cincinnati team he bailed out of to take the ND job in the sugar bowl. Maybe that’s a better game if he stuck around, but I doubt it. 

We will certainly find out how solid he is playing in the SEC west. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think Kelly probably just got tired of busting his ass at ND only to get to a big game and find out he didn’t have the horses to beat anyone good.

LSU should solve that issue. 3 coaches have won a natty there including Ed Orgeron and Lester. BK probably thinks he’s at least that good and Saban won’t be at bama much longer.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

After watching Florida play FSU last weekend, anyone that struggled with that team doesn’t deserve a sniff of the playoffs. They will get hammered by the current top 4.

Yes because the first game of the season is really relevant at this point. Especially for a team breaking in a completely new offense. They've only won their last 4 by ~40 points on average. 

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

I think Kelly probably just got tired of busting his ass at ND only to get to a big game and find out he didn’t have the horses to beat anyone good.

LSU should solve that issue. 3 coaches have won a natty their including Ed Orgeron. BK probably thinks he’s at least that good and Saban won’t be at bama much longer.

He'll get better talent at LSU, no question. But his opponents will be better and more athletic as well. 

11 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

They got their asses beat in both those playoff appearances.  It’s disingenuous to ignore the ND effect when it comes to polling. They string 3 wins together and are a top 5 team, so I can’t give Kelly any real credit there. Florida also beat the hell out of the Cincinnati team he bailed out of to take the ND job in the sugar bowl. Maybe that’s a better game if he stuck around, but I doubt it. 

We will certainly find out how solid he is playing in the SEC west. 

I read your post. Then I reflected upon the last couple of times Texas reached a championship game of any kind, our current 5-7 record, and the fact that we are headed to the SEC. Then I reread your post.

The conclusion I reached about your opinion wasn't favorable. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

He’s gone to the BCS championship game, multiple playoffs, and had multiple undefeated regular seasons at Notre Dame without ever having a big time QB.   He’s only had one down year there, and Notre Dame puts guys in the NFL under him despite not being able to compete with the Bama, Georgia, LSU, and Ohio State type programs in recruiting.

He can fucking coach.  I assume he’s going to kill it at LSU.   These takes about him failing based on his personality are funny, but I can’t believe they’re serious.   He has the same personality as Saban.   They’ll love him if he wins.  

Meanwhile, Orgeron was the perfect Cajun local boy personality, and they fired his ass less than 2 years after he won the fucking national title.  College football programs and fans like winning.  Period.

Unwillingness to pay big money for an asshole who can coach instead of market rate for someone our boosters and administration think they like and want to roll the dice on is apparently our El Guapo.

Yeah, well ...

c80049e2-6539-49a3-9e95-7d93855fa6b2_tex

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yes because the first game of the season is really relevant at this point. Especially for a team breaking in a completely new offense. They've only won their last 4 by ~40 points on average. 

Against 3-8 Navy, 6-6 Virginia, 3-9 GT, and 3-9 Stanford. They played arguably the weakest of the current playoff top 4 and lost already. Their completely new offense didn’t give up 38 to that dumpster fire FSU team. Their best win is Wisconsin, which also got hammered by Michigan. I know there’s no transitive property in football but fuck man, they don’t have a resume that screams playoffs.